05

Life of a Wallflower

The old wooden slats of the bed creaked when Joohee rolled to the end of the bed. The girl groaned before making an effort to open her eyes fully, wincing when the harsh light coming from the opened curtains of her window entered her eyes forcefully. She cursed herself for forgetting to close the curtains last night and sat up on her bed while rubbing her eyes.

Joohee thought about skipping school for a moment but decided against it because she did not want to miss any lectures since she have troubles with studying topics she already learnt in the first place. She would not take the risk of being dumber than she already is.

Joohee proceeded to do her morning weekdays routine before heading downstairs for breakfast, which was her favorite cereal in her favorite black bowl. She then headed to school, secretly anticipating what will happen in school since there seem to be a lot of surprises happening to her lately.

The girl managed to stay alive through the lessons before lunch break with her two friends who cannot seem to stop their not-so-discreet flirting with their partners (they actually were discreet, Joohee was just bitter because she did not have a partner to flirt with) The girls decided to eat together since it had been awhile since Joohee had spent lunch break together with them. Joohee felt sorry to Mingyu and Wonwoo for stealing their girls (when it's actually the opposite), they're going to think that she's a clingy annoying friend who cannot survive on her own although Mina and Soyeon kept saying that she was being really paranoid and exaggerating things.

But they still eat lunch together anyways because Joohee got to admit, she did miss eating lunch with her painfully beautiful friends.

"So, how is it going? With Jihoon, I mean." Soyeon propped up her chin on her hands, fingers tapping against her cheeks. "What? There's nothing?" Joohee tilted her head a bit, not sure what they were expecting her to answer. "Nothing? I thought we told you to approach him and befriend him?" The blonde haired girl stared at her.

"Umm, nope. Never heard such thing. But you did tell me to try crushing on him instead." The poor looked at Mina and Soyeon back and forth, confusion evident on her face.

"Oh yeah, that's what I meant." Soyeon flipped her long ponytail back. Man, Joohee would totally kill for that hair.

"Oh. I had had some encounters with him before and I think… maybe I could? He's cute and all, but I don't think I can hold a proper conversation with him. I'm too… shy" The girl said, voice getting softer word after word.

"Aww, would you look at that. She's shy! Totally crushing on Jihoon. Totally." Mina fawned over her smaller friend. "But I have always been shy around other people?" Joohee tried to explain but her sentences came out more as a question than a statement.

"I don't care. Okay look, if you have the chance to talk to him again soon, make sure to try strike up a conversation with him, alright dear? You can do it, it's not that hard" Soyeon held the girl's shoulders firmly. "Easy for you to say; you're gorgeous as , anybody would love to chat with you"

Soyeon shook her head and sighed before shaking Joohee violently. "Be. More. Confident. In. Yourself." She squeezed Joohee's shoulders every time she said a word. "Yeah, you're cute okay. You might not see it but we do." Mina piped in from the side. Joohee only managed to sigh really heavily in defeat because she knew cannot win an argument with the duo when they're teamed up against her. "Alright alright. I will try to talk to him. But I'm not promising."

Mina squealed in delight and grinned. "Great! Better than nothing at all!"

 

(´∀`)(´∀`)(´∀`)

 

The next day, the three friends decided to have lunch together again so they made their way to the cafeteria, arms linked until a guy came blocking their way which turn out to be Wonwoo. "Do you mind if I steal Soyeon for lunch break?" The guy asked with his deep bass voice, smiling politely. Before Soyeon could say anything, the two friends had already shoved the poor blonde forward. "Sure! Go take her away. She's annoying anyways." Mina snorted, and Joohee did not know how she did it but her snort came out looking attractive. Soyeon glared at her two friends before being pulled by Wonwoo. "Thanks!" And then they were gone while Mina and Joohee were still laughing to themselves.

Joohee wiped her imaginary laughing tears and lets out a satisfied sigh. "Now, let's go!" Mina nodded and they made their way to the cafeteria only to be stopped by a guy, again. This time, it was the huge puppy, Mingyu, according to Mina. "Hey Minmin! Want to go eat lunch with me?" Joohee mentally gagged at the nickname and she swore she saw an imaginary tail wagging happily behind Mingyu. Now Joohee understand why Mina called him a huge puppy.

Mina was about to decline the tempting offer but Joohee beat her to it. "What a wonderful idea! Go ahead Mina, I have, umm, stuffs to do anyways, ha ha" Joohee patted the taller girl's back. Mingyu blinked and tilted his head a bit before coming into an eye-contact with Joohee. "Oh? Didn't see you there. Your friend?" He looked totally innocent that Joohee did not have the heart to punch him in the face for not noticing her when she had been standing there next to Mina since earlier. Cannot blame him though, she is a wallflower.

"Yup. She's Joohee, Joohee this is Mingyu" Even though the introduction was unnecessary, well at least in Joohee's case, she still politely nodded. Mingyu smiled and waved before asking if he could take Mina away. Mina gave Joohee a worried look because the smallest of the three would end up alone.

Joohee just grinned and shrugged. "Go ahead." She heard Mingyu cheering softly before pulling Mina towards the cafeteria. Joohee just waved at Mina when their eyes met; ignoring the worried look she's giving her.

The girl sighed and walked in the opposite direction of the cafeteria, towards the school garden. When she entered the garden, she looked around cautiously, eyes scanning for any signs of pink blob of hair and when the line was clear, the girl proceeded to sit on the bench. Taking out her notebook filled with lyrics and a pencil, now she was ready for some lyric writing.

After several minutes, the girl was absolutely absorbed into writing, tuning out every other noise she could hear. She hummed to herself the melody she created before writing word by word on the notebook.

 

"Maybe you could use the word "eternally" instead of "forever", would sound better don't you think?"

 

The girl stopped and hummed in agreement after trying to sing mentally using the word suggested. She erased 'forever' before replacing it with 'eternally' and nodded in satisfaction.

 

Wait a second.

 

Joohee abruptly spun in her seat and gasped in surprise. Just right next to her, sitting on the bench was Jihoon, his arm propped up on the table, supporting his head in his hand. What’s with him and showing up unannounced? The pink haired boy raised an eyebrow and snorted softly. "Why are you so surprised?" He chuckled. Joohee can feel her face heating up. Damn Jihoon and his surprising presence, can he at least, give a prior notice so she could prepare herself?

"Um sorry. I didn't notice you there; I was too, uh, absorbed in writing." She sheepishly said while rubbing her nape. "I can see that." Jihoon chuckled again before looking at her notebook. Joohee decided to let him look because he already looked without her noticing before anyways. But she did feel a little nervous and anxious about it. She did not think her lyrics was good enough to just let Jihoon read, he is an experienced composer and probably had wrote countless of songs for god sake.

"I like the concept. It's easy for me to grasp the idea you're trying to say. It's about an angel that is willing to give up everything in heaven to be with the human she or he loves, right?" Jihoon tilted his head, and oh my god that was so cute.

Joohee cleared and nodded shyly. God, Jihoon just complimented her lyrics, how was she supposed to react? "T-Thank you?" Smooth. Real smooth, Bae Joohee. The girl chuckled awkwardly, tapping her pencil on her laps nervously. "You're welcome." With that, they both were silent for several moments and Joohee just wanted to die because of how awkward the silence was until she remembered her friends' words. She should try holding a conversation with Jihoon. So she did.

"Um, a-are you working on anything? A song, I mean."

Joohee was not sure if she should feel insulted or not because Jihoon looked pleasantly surprised that she started a conversation. "Yeah, I am working on some- scratch that, I've finished a song but I still need some reviews from other people because I kind of tried a different style on that song from what I've been making before." The boy stated seriously. Joohee nodded her head twice in understanding. "Why don't you let your friends Seventeen hear it?" Jihoon sighed before resting his head on his crossed arms on the table. "I did. I got their opinions and the responses were good but I still want a review from someone who isn't biased and- wait, I got an idea," The pink haired boy suddenly sat up straight. Joohee automatically followed Jihoon's movement and also sat up in alert. "W-What?"

"Do you want to hear it? And you can give me your opinions after hearing it?" Jihoon asked and the girl could see the excitement in his eyes. "Me? But I'm not-"

"You're perfect for it. I mean, I assume you appreciate music as much as I do and actually have good taste in music. You're not someone who will listen to latest overrated pop songs on repeat, right? Since you literally jammed your heart out to Pierce the Veil that day, not everybody knows them." Joohee realized one thing about Jihoon. When he's excited, he will ramble while using hand gestures. That's so cute- Oh , he did heard her that time. Joohee mentally prayed for the ground to open up and eat her wholly and never resurface again because that was so embarrassing.

"Um, okay? I think I'll give it a listen. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to review your song, it is such a huge honor, I can-" Joohee sentence was cut off when Jihoon laughed softly while shaking his head. "Stop being so formal. Let's be comfortable with each other, yeah? You're going to be my reviewer after all." Jihoon smiled and the ends of his lips curled up in a very endearing way, showing his dimples and Joohee needed a moment because oh my god is this really happening?

 


surprise surprise! look who updated, MEeEEe!
a really long chapter for you since I barely update orz btw pls ignore any grammar mistakes or any mistakes in general bc i didnt proofread beforehand and my english is rusty sooo yeah
comment comment!
stay tuned for more update hehe im currently working on the next chapter