Fever

Iridescent Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am sick. 

Not lovesick, just the thought of that emotion makes me shudder with warmth, the thought of ever coming close to liking a man makes me cringe unbearably. 

A fever runs across my body, heating my skin up in unusual places, I feel like I'm being filled with fire like a hot air balloon; I grasp at the sheets desperately for the heat to disperse.

This is what I get, this is the process of my hormones changing. 

Every time my body would shift - or move to become comfortable - I found a blistering pain shoot up the veins in my arm, I gasp in the frustration of being immobile, I've never felt so weak since my time with the Tuloa tribe. 

A whimper escapes my mouth from the thoughts emerging into my head, painful, violent flashes of my memories scatter into the centre of my attention. 

At some point Suki had pulled up a chair and is sat beside me, I feel the coolness from her fingers soak into my skin and disappear just as quick as they were placed. 

"Cold towel" Her soft voice surpasses the deafening heat that seeps Into my earlobes, a few seconds later I feel a freezing cold towel upon my forehead. Instead of flinching at the intensity of the temperature, I let out a bittersweet sigh of relief.

"Thank you" I murmured, opening my eyes that are hazy with heat, in search for her face. I see her smiling at me softly, her glowing skin is unable to hide the worry that creases her brow, I watch her timid eyes observe me head to toe, she begins to chew the inside of her cheek.

"Stop worrying like that you will end up getting wrinkles" I let out a breathless laugh, this seems to make her wings twitch slightly, her lips take the same effect.

"I put a spell on the flannel" she announces proudly, letting her dainty legs lead her over to the corner where she picks up her school bag "The temperature of the flannel should go up or down according to your own temperature, so I don't have to worry about you getting up to change it repeatedly"

She entwines her dainty fingers, looking directly at me with the same soft smile, I let out a sigh at her kindness and let a smile slide upon my own lips, even this becomes a stressful effort. 

"Now you won't move whilst I'm gone will you?" She murmurs, looking me directly in the eyes "Of course you won't, I only have a few classes today so I should be back soon"

She opens the door, I'm unable to bring myself to say goodbye as my tongue and lips feel like weights, rendering me unable to pronounce the right vowels or even move my mouth to talk.

"Goodbye Haru! Please get well soon" Her pixy like hair bounces around her face as she bounds out of the room, closing the door with the softest of forces.

Silence immediately swells up the room, all that can be heard is my struggling gasps as I try and regulate my own temperature. I feel my pulse throbbing in my wrists and my neck, a strange squelching sensation tags along. My pulse continues to repeatedly clench at a rapid pace, I feel a bead of sweat roll down my face.

I let out a gasp, followed by a small cry for some sort of sympathy.

Damn it, if I was a normal human I would have died long before now. My body temperature is at least over forty degrees, my cells would have started to denature and begin to stop at this level of heat would kill them. Human cells could only function at thirty-seven degrees or less  Since in half animal and freak I guess my bodies outlast to heat is higher.

I sigh in frustration, flickering my eyes over to the clock that ticks lazily on the wall. Countless beads of sweat pool in my neck, the Icy flannel on my forehead only providing substantial relief. 

I begin to bite my lip in agitation, letting out a small groan at the compressing heat, I begin to lose track of time, my consciousness fading in and out. I see the shadows of the room change repeatedly when my eyes open, signifying the time gone by. 

3:05

It's been five hours and my condition hasn't rationalised with my well-being, I continue to pump out disgusting moisture like a tap on ecstasy. My throbbing arm tips from the bed, a soft, cool sensation runs along my fingertips. In an attempt to receive any sort of comfort I strain my squealing fingers to grasp the fabric, hauling my scorching, weight of an arm to my chest.

My trembling fingers release, a soft waft of vanilla jolting into my system. I let out a sound of relief, the thing I feel the most often today. The leather rubs against my chest and the lingering scent pulses through my arteries.

I haul my arm around the jacket, holding it to my own body. The scent isn't strong but vague, the dissipation of the smell brings me sadness, and yet the jacket doesn't carry the same texture of the smell.

It's not as warm, it doesn't melt my skin like chocolate under the flame of a fire, it doesn't make my heart gallop a thousand miles.

It's just not Chanyeol.

I notice that my current heart rate is decreasing, I can no longer feel or hear the sickening, wet cough of my pulse. Yet my temperature stays the same, every bone in my body feels like it has been injected with hydrofluoric acid, deteriorating piece by piece.

My body jolts In its place as I hear the door being knocked upon, as I'm unable to answer the door is opened, the gouging white light from the hall pouring in through the crack.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter