Chapter 08

HEARTBEAT

Jiayu and Kris entered Luhan's mansion. Jiayu didn't have the time to admire the grandness of the mansion. She was busy trying not to laugh at Kris' grumpiness. He was pestering her to wear something else to the party, which she decisively denied.

A guy in a blue suit approached them. His smiled grew wider as he saw Jiayu. "Yifan, I'm so glad to see you", the guy said.

"Happy birthday, Luhan", Kris said, his voice a bit relaxed. 

"Thank you. I see that you brought company", his eyes shifted to Jiayu. "A pleasant company, I see", he added. Kris rolled his eyes.

"My name is Jiayu", she spoke. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you, Jiayu. And call me Luhan. Come on you two, Zitao is waiting for us." Luhan led them to the hall where the party was held. He couldn't stop asking Jiayu question and Kris couldn't be annoyed more. Plus, the looks Jiayu was receiving at the hall were more than curious. A lot of men admired her and openly checked her out. If only they knew that Kris was already plotting their death in his head, including his friend's death. Luhan was getting closer and closer to her, passing her drinks and bragging about his house.

"And this is Zitao, our friend", Luhan said as Zitao joined them. Zitao smiled.

"Nice to meet you. Is she your girlfriend, Yifan?" he asked.

As Jiayu was about to open and say no, Kris pulled her closer. "Yes, Jiayu is my girlfriend", he said, smiling lovingly at her. She blushed a bit and smiled back at him. She knew that was probably just him acting, because he didn't want anyone to be suspicious about her, but she liked that a lot. "My girlfriend", he repeated firmly, looking directly at Luhan.

Luhan and Zitao smiled. "Have you met Yixing?" Luhan asked Jiayu. She looked to Kris. "That's Lay's real name", he said. At the mention of Lay, Jiayu's eyes sparkled.

"Yes, I've met him in Beijing."

"Then you know all of us!" Luhan exclaimed. "You know, Yifan, Yixing, Zitao and I are best friends ever since our childhood. Yifan, Yixing and I even studied medicine together. Zitao went to psychology. Traitor." Zitao threw him a glare. "Did you go to college, Jiayu?"

Kris was already more than annoyed by Luhan's constant talking to Jiayu. What particulary annoyed him was the way he called Jiayu, like he knew her for ages.
"I graduated in Chemistry", she said proudly.

"Really? You know, we had chemistry in our first year of college and Yifan was terrible at it, so I had to tutor him", Luhan said, glancing at Kris to catch his reaction.

Kris frowned. "I wasn't bad at Chemistry, you're lying! He's lying, Jiayu!" All of them chuckled at his childish reaction.

"So, Zitao", Luhan sipped his drink," what do you say about the party? Isn't it great?"

Zitao looked around. "This is all very nice, but I came here for the cake." Luhan frowned and Jiayu laughed out loud.

"Jiayu and I are going to have a little walk around your house, Luhan. If you allow", Kris said. Luhan nodded. Kris wrapped his arm around her waist, trying to protect her from curious looks.

"She's not his girlfriend", Zitao said as they left.

"Of course she isn't", Luhan retorted. "But I'm sure Kris wants her to be. I wonder who is she."

 

"Kris, are you angry?" she asked carefully, seeing that he wasn't really happy. He was constantly frowning and glaring at everyone who tried to talk to them.

"I'm not", he replied shortly, but by the tone of his voice she knew that he was. "Why did you tell your friends that I'm your girlfriend?"

"I...If I told them something else, they would start asking too much questions", he lied. He did it to stop Luhan from flirting with her.

"Okay", Jiayu said, feeling a bit down. "Your friends are really funny. We should invite them to dinner."

"NO!" Kris said loudly, almost shouting. Jiayu jumped up at his voice. He noticed that he startled her and he pulled her into a small hug. "I'm sorry if I scared you", he said gently. Now Jiayu's heart was beating faster than usual. She took a deep breath to calm down. She didn't know that the same thing was happening to Kris.

What will become of us, Jiayu?