Chapter 13

HEARTBEAT

"Jiayu, come down, the dinner is ready!" Luhan shouted from the downstairs.

"I'm not hungry!" she shouted back from her room. She was feeling down ever since Kris left. Her thoughts were only focused on him. She wasn't eating properly and Luhan often scolded her for that.
Luhan ran up the stairs and opened the door of her bedroom.

"You have to eat, Jiayu. Look at you. You are so pale", he said gently. He grabbed her hand and started dragging her.

"Luhan, I'm not hungry!" she said, but he already dragged her down the stairs and took her to the dining room.

He looked at her with his best puppy eyes."Come on! You have to eat. When Yifan comes back you need to be healthy."

She sighed. "Alright, I'll eat."

Luhan jumped up in excitement. "That's right! And eat all from the plate, don't leave anything", he wagged his finger at her and sat next to her.
Jiayu stared at the food in front of her, her thoughts lingering aroud Kris. He promised that he would be back. She believed in that, but with every day going by she was more afraid that he wouldn't, that something bad would happen and she would never see him again.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 

"You son of a ", Kris hissed when the rope tightened around his wrists.

Lay and the man next to him, The Father, both smirked at his words.

"I wouldn't say that if I were you", Lay said. "Luckily, I'm not you."

Kris clenched his teeth because of the strong pain he felt in his left arm.

The Father was sitting in a wheelchair, observing Kris carefully. "You have the guts, Dr. Wu, I have to admit that. You fooled me well...I mean, you almost fooled me well", he said. He glanced at Lay who stood calmly next to him. "If you hadn't messed with my heart, I would have forgiven you. But you messed with me personally and you are going to die."

"I thought you were better, Lay", Kris said sending a glare to Lay, to which Lay just shrugged.

"I chose the right side. You should have done the same."

The Father smiled proudly looking at his son.

Kris took a deep breath. "You chose to be the boss and betrayed your friend. Good job Lay, good job." He cursed under his breath. The pain in his left arm was no joke. Whoever was in charge of beating him did a good job. His lips were swollen and he had a huge bruise under his right eye.

"You really thought I would choose you over the gang? Over money and power? Over my father? You are out of your mind", Lay said, his voice cold. "Admit it, you would do the same."

"I would never betray a friend", Kris breathed out, pain evident both on his face and in his voice. A tear found its way from his eye and rolled down his cheek.

"Guys, get him out of here", Lay ordered. Two men lifted Kris up and held his arms tightly. They told him to move and he made a few steps. He turned to glance at Lay, who sharply turned his head away.

"You did a good job, Lay", The Father spoke."I didn't believe you at first, but now you've proved that I can trust you. You are going to be a great boss one day."

One of the men who took Kris out was back in the room, holding a small box in his hand. "It's time for your medicines, boss."

The Father took the box from the man and took four pills as it was recommended by his doctor.

"Father, I have some work to do. Would you excuse me?" Lay asked. The Father nodded in approval.

Lay's steps were heavy as he was walking to the door. He opened the door and stepped out, turning his head and throwing a glance at the man in the wheelchair. The Father started coughing. Lay shut the door and ran towards the exit.

 

 

Kris was in the car. The guys threw him on the back seat. His hands were still trapped by the rope. He lost track of how much time he had spent there. It seemed so long.

"He said it would only last a few minutes." As soon as he said that, the back door opened and he saw a familiar face.