Chapter 03

HEARTBEAT

Jiayu woke up in a different room. She barely raised her head. She felt dizzy from the drugs she was given. Blinking a few times, she looked around the room. "I'm alive", she muttered, "Alive. I didn't die." Tears of happiness rolled down her cheeks. The feeling of being alive was the best feeling ever, she thought. She looked down her body and saw that she was covered with a blanket. She pulled the blanked down and saw that she wasn't dressed in her own clothes. She was wearing just an oversized T-shirt. She peeked under the shirt and heaved a sigh of relief because her underwear was still there.

She saw the door handle moving and Kris appeared. She quickly grabbed the blanket and covered herself."Did you change my clothes?" she asked, not looking at him.

"I did", he said. "And you don't have to cover yourself. I already saw everything." He sat on a chair that was next to the bed.

"You are a ert", she spat at him. 

"I changed your clothes because I couldn't let you sleep in my bed while wearing dirty clothes. And I'm a doctor, I'm sure that I know much more about your body than you do."

"Explain me what am I doing here, in your house?" she said, feeling irritated.

"The guy that I am...I was working for, actually, needed a new heart. And he wanted to take yours." Jiayu was staring at him in disbelief. "Why mine?"

"You signed the donor's card, that's how they found you. He wanted me to take your heart and give it to him. But then Lay and I decided to save you. You will have to live with me for some time, for your own security."

"But-but what about my aunt, she can't live alone", she stuttered. Kris' words hit her like a rock in the chest.

"We can go together and explain her everything", he said calmly. "Your aunt will be safe."

"You said that I would have to live with you for some time", she said shyly.

Kris blinked a few times. "Yes, but just for a while, maybe for a month or two. We will live in Guangzhou during that time."

When he mentioned Guangzhou, Jiayu's jaw dropped. "I can't move to Guangzhou. My aunt is here, my friends, my everything", she whispered.

"If you stay here, in Beijing, you are going to die! And I am going to die with you! Lay is going to die with us! We have to leave!!!" he boomed. His voice echoed through the bedroom. Jiayu's head fell and she gulped. She tried to hold back the tears, but it was useless. A tear fell to the blanket, leaving a trace. Kris knew that he exagerated and that he shouldn't have shouted like that, but he couldn't help it. He was on the edge of his nerves and he needed help. He left the room abruptly, leaving her sobbing loudly.

 

A knock on the door woke Jiayu up. She had fallen asleep after she cried a river.  She was under a lot of stress. A lot of things had happened to her in the past two days. Being kidnapped wasn't something normal. She wiggled out of the blanket and went to open the door. Kris was standing in front of the door.

"Come out. Lay is here. We have to talk." His tone was sharp. She got out of the room, following Kris to a new room. Lay was sitting in an armchair, swinging his arm back and forth. When he saw her coming, he straightened a bit. Kris motioned her to sit on the couch and she obeyed. When she saw Lay's cheeks turning pink as he observed her, she remembered that she was wearing only a T-shirt that went just above her knees. She pulled the T-shirt below her knees and Lay looked away.
"Kris, I booked you two tickets to Guangzhou. You will be flying in two days", he said. "As for The Father, he received a new heart and he is going to be calm until he goes to the hospital for his first post-transplantation check-up. Which is going to be in a week."

Kris got up and went somewhere. "He likes to do that", Lay whispered to Jiayu. "He just leaves in the middle of the conversation." He smiled. Jiayu liked Lay. She felt positive energy in his presence. Kris came again, holding a blanket in his hand.

"Take this and cover yourself. It's cold here", he said flatly. Jiayu took the blanket and covered herself, her cheeks reddening for some reason. 

"I have to leave now", Lay said. Jiaoyu saddened. She wanted him to stay a bit longer because she didn't want to stay alone with Kris, particulary after his outburst.

"Lay and Kris, can I ask you two something?" she said. They nodded in unision. "Why did you two do this? Why did you save me?" She had so many questions in her head and she needed answers.

"We thought it was the best thing to do", Lay said. "Kris suggested it and I agreed." Her eyes looked to Kris. She expected an answer from him. He bit his lower lip.

"I decided to do so because I'm a doctor. I save people's lives."

"Whose heart did that man get?" she asked, and Kris looked away. "I want to know."

"You don't have to worry about that. You are alive", he retorted. She got up. "I want to go to bed", she said. "Goodnight, Lay", she said, and without looking at Kris she left the room.