Chapter 04

HEARTBEAT

Morning quickly came. Sunlight passed through the window glass and tickled Jiayu's face. She woke up and glanced at the clock that was standing alone on the night table. It was 7.30. She dragged herself out of the bed and went straight to the living room. Kris was sitting on the armchair, staring blankly into his phone that was on the table. "Good morning", she said quietly.

"Good morning", he replied flatly. "Come with me", he said getting up from the armchair. He led her to the kitchen, where a meal was waiting for her on the table.

"Eat."

She sat at the table, inspecting the food that was  in front of her. Two sandwiches, one with ham and some salad and the other with something she couldn't recognise. "You don't like it? I'm not a chef, but I tried", he said.

Jiayu started eating. The sandwiches weren't delicious, but they were not bad either. Kris stood at the kitchen counter, observing her. "Are you watching me while I'm eating?" she asked, feeling a bit uncomfortable.

Kris looked away. "No." Yes, he was watching her, but he couldn't admit that. He left the kitchen and went straight to his bedroom. He saw that Jiayu left the bed untidied and he tidied it. He needed something to distract him from his thoughts. He couldn't sleep at all. As soon as he would close his eyes, he would see the heart that was beating in his hands, his hands holding it up and then putting it into a freezer. He would see the blood on his hands, the face of the man whose heart he took. He covered his face with his hands and cried out loud. His screaming scared Jiaoyu and she ran into the direction of the room. She entered the room and saw him punching the wall with his fist. His face was red and stained with tears.

"Kris, calm down", she muttered. He didn't hear her.

"I did a really bad thing!!!" he shouted. "I killed a man, Jiayu! A doctor isn't supposed to kill people!" He turned his face to her. "I killed! I screwed everything, I lost everything again!" He closed his eyes and sobbed loudly. He suddenly felt a pair of arms around his waist. Confused, he opened his eyes and saw Jiayu's small figure holding onto him, her head burried in his chest. 

"Don't cry, Kris", she chanted, "don't cry." Her voice sounded so soothing to him. He felt something he hadn't felt for a long time, and that thing was the warmth of a hug. Jiayu reminded him of the times he was a normal man, a man who was loved. He felt loved, even though he knew she didn't love him. Calming a little bit, he broke the hug. He saw that a few tears were streaming down her cheeks.

"Why did you hug me?" 

Jiayu gave him a small smile. "I just hate seeing people  cry. And you were crying because of me, in a way...I feel guilty. You ruined your own life by saving me." 
He shook his head. "I didn't ruin my life, I saved it. I wanted to quit a long time ago. You helped me in a strange way." She wiped her tears. "Kris, I think I forgot to tell you something. Thank you for saving my life."

He smiled and shrugged. "You don't have to thank me. You need to live." Jiayu returned the smile and left the room. Kris sat on the bed, his mind in bigger chaos that it was before she came in. In the times where he had to be calm and rational, he was losing it. He couldn't wait to get to Gungzhou.

"Kris, you told me that we would visit my aunt today", she said, peeking through the door. "I have to take my stuff, too."

"Alright. We will go as soon as you get dressed", he said. 

"Where are my jeans and shirt?" she asked. "You took them off of me." Kris' eyes opened widely. "I forgot to wash them", he said, looking at her apologetically.

"Don't worry, I'll call Lay to buy you something to wear. He's on the way here." Kris phoned Lay and told him to buy something for Jiayu to wear.

 

"You look great in that dress!" Lay said looking at Jiayu, obviously satisfied with his choice. Kris scoffed at his remark. He had a feeling that Lay bought the dress deliberately, just to see Jiayu in it. "I think we should go now", Kris said, "your aunt is probably worried about you."

Jiayu and Kris drove in front of the building. They went out, Kris carefully observing the surroundings. He had to be careful, because the possibility of someone watching over them was high. They entered the building and she led him to the apartment.

Her aunt opened the door and burst into tears as soon as she saw Jiayu. She hugged her tightly. "I was so worried about you! Where were you?!"

"I am OK, aunt. I'll explain everything to you." They stepped into the apartment, Kris following after Jiayu.

"And who is this young man?" she asked, looking at Kris.

"This young man's name is Kris. He saved my life."

Jiayu explained everything that happened to her. She told her everything, not falling out a single detail. Her aunt couldn't believe her words. When Jiayu told her that she would have to move, her aunt was suprisingly calm. 

"You will be fine, Jiayu. With such a young man next to you, you don't have a reason to worry." She liked Kris. He was handsome, had a lot of money and he saved her niece's life. Aunt Xenran was quite old-fashioned. She wanted Jiayu to marry someone rich and to marry soon. Kris seemed like a great opportunity to her. She helped Jiayu pack her things and they said goodbyes.

"You will be safe, Jiayu. Call me sometimes", she hugged her and then gave Kris a look. "And you, Kris, take care of her. She is a good girl." Kris nodded and they left, leaving aunt Xenran in tears.