Chapter 06

HEARTBEAT

A week passed in the blink of an eye. Kris and Jiayu didn't see each other much. They spent most of their times in their bedrooms. Jiayu would sometimes sit in the garden, because the weather was nice. They would spend some time together only during the meals. Jiayu offered herself to cook, because she enjoyed it. Kris didn't resist her offer. He didn't know how to cook at all, so her food came to him as a blessing. He was in charge of buying the groceries. Jiayu was starting to get bored. She wanted to ask Kris to show her the town, but she was kind of afraid. Kris was often nervous. Sometimes she could hear him getting up in the middle of the night. He couldn't sleep. She wanted to help him somehow, but she decided that it was the best to leave him alone.

"Jiayu, would you like to take a walk with me today? I can show you around the town if you like", Kris said once during the lunch. He thought that she might feel bored in the house, and he would also like to have a nice walk. He finally managed to get rid of the anxiety that was following him all the way from Beijing.

"Of course I would like to take a walk", she said happily and ran to her bedroom to find something nice to wear.

"At least finish your lunch!" he shouted after her. A smile crept on his face. He couldn't believe that she was so happy because he suggested a walk to the town.

She was soon back in the dining room. "Did you find what you wanted to wear?"

She grinned. "I did." "I'm really happy that you asked me to go for a walk. I wanted to ask you that, too, but..." She silenced.

"I know, I had been nervous lately and we were still awkward so you probably felt uncomfortable to ask me. I hope that you won't feel like that anymore. We live together, we have to be comfortable with each other." He gave her an assuring smile. "If there's anything you need, please tell me."

Jiayu's heart was suddenly speeding up. She smiled shyly. "Thank you, Kris."

"Now finish your lunch!" he commanded. "Your aunt told me to take care of you. You must not be hungry." They finished with their lunch. Jiayu went to her bedroom and changed her clothes.

"Kris, I'm ready!" she exclaimed. Kris got out of his room smiling. "Jiayu, wait for me in front of the house."

She went out and walked to the gate. Kris followed quickly after her. 

They walked for ten minutes until they got to the city's core. Jiayu noticed that Kris was smiling happily. He was showing her around and telling her interesting stories about the town. She found out that he was born and that he grew up there. The weather was really pleasant. 

"Jiayu, what's wrong?" Kris asked when he noticed that she stopped in front of a shop. Jiayu didn't say a word. She was staring at a dress that was in the shop window. It was a black mini dress. Kris waved in front of her eyes. "Do you hear me, Jiayu?" 

She snapped out of her thoughts. "Sorry, I got carried away. This dress is so beautiful." Her eyes were still on the dress.

Kris chuckled. "You really like it?"

"Yes, but I  can't afford it. Look at the price." She looked longingly at the dress. "I'll just admire it from afar."

They walked away from the shop, Jiayu's head filled with thoughts about the dress and Kris' head filled with thoughts about Jiayu.