Chapter 10

HEARTBEAT

Ten days had passed since Jiayu and Kris got together. For ten nights she had slept in his arms. Kris was always awake before her. He wouldn't get up right away. He brought her closer to him and listened to her heart beating. It was beating thanks to him. But he couldn't help but to think about their situation. Their past was complicated, their present unstable, their future uncertain. Ten days ago he received a message from Lay. Father's men were looking for him. Lay joined the search team, too, but only to distract them and cover Kris' traces. 
If only he didn't have Jiayu next to him, he would go to Beijing and surrender to The Father. But there was she, and he couldn't leave her. Just imagining his life without her made him shiver with fear. 

His phone rang. He was afraid to answer it. Jiayu woke up and he went out of the room to answer it.

"Kris, will you help me?" Lay asked, his voice more stern than usual.

"What's the matter?"

"Do you want to live a normal life?"

Kris looked to the bedroom door. Jiayu was in there. He could have a normal life with her. A normal life. It sounded so tempting.

"Of course I want a normal life, Lay."

"Then come here and help me take him down. Help me kill The Father."

Kris blinked a few times. Was Lay insane? "Are you OK, Lay?"

"I'm more than OK. Will you help me or not?" Lay urged him.

Kris paused for a minute. He wanted to help Lay and end all of this. 

"I'm coming to Beijing tomorrow", Kris replied. Lay mumbled something and hung up.

"Jiayu! Pack your bags."

She went out of the bedroom, confused. "Pack your stuff. We have to leave."

 

 

"They are going to kill you if you leave, Yifan! Why can't you just stay here?!" Jiayu shouted through sobs. Kris held her in a tight embrace. "Please, Yifan! Stay here! You can't leave me alone!"

"Calm down, Jiayu. I'll come back, I promise. And I'm not leaving you alone. Luhan will take care of you."

Kris took Jiayu to Luhan's house. He decided that it was the best to leave her there. Luhan was one of his best friends, and even though he could be annoying sometimes, he was a good person. He told Luhan the whole story, everything from the beginning. How he lost his job in the hospital and how he started working for the mafia.
Luhan's facial expression changed from that of shock to the sad one. He immediately agreed to take care of Jiayu and offered his help to Kris and Lay.

 

Kris said his goodbyes to Luhan and Jiayu. He held her in a tight embrace. "I promise that I'll come back, Jiayu. I don't know when, but I'll come back", he said, trying hard to hold back his tears. She was crying quietly. He cupped her face and kissed her. "I love you", he whispered and broke the hug. 

"Take care, Yifan", Luhan said. "I know you will come back." Kris nodded and left the house.

Jiayu took a step forward, but she fell to the ground and started crying loudly. Luhan ran to her and picked her up.

"I'll take you to your room, Jiayu. You should rest", he said gently.

He put her down on the bed, covered her with a blanket an left the room. She couldn't stop thinking about Kris. What if they kill him? What will happen to her, to them? She fell asleep an hour later, tired from crying.

 

Luhan sneaked into the room to make sure that she was asleep. He found her curled up hugging the pillow.

Yifan is one lucky bastard for having her, he thought. He tiptoed out of the room.

"Yifan, you need to come back."