Chapter 17

HEARTBEAT

 Lay frowned at Mr. Wang's proposal. The first thing that was on his mind was to say no and he said it.

"I suggest that you listen to my proposal first and then give your answer. You won't be doing the dirty work. Actually, your job won't be illegal at all."

Lay raised an eyebrow. That sounded interesting, a legal job.

"All you have to do is to take care of my daughter. I want to send her somewhere overseas but she doesn't want to go. I think you are more than capable for that job."

"You want me to be her bodyguard?" Lay asked.

Mr. Wang chuckled. "No, her husband."

Lay's face was blank. He couldn't believe that the man in front of him suggested such a thing. There was no way that he could accept that offer.

"What if I reject your offer?" he managed to say after a long break.

"Lay, or should I say, Yixing, after Father's death I became the head of the underground. That means a lot of power but also a lot more enemies. I need to keep my daughter safe and I can't give her to someone who isn't you. You are the most capable man I've ever met."

"What if I reject your offer?" Lay repeated firmly.

Mr.Wang clapped his hands. "You and your friend Kris will never be peaceful again."

"That's a blackmail", Lay said calmly, even though he was boiling with anger. 

"Believe me, this wasn't my intention at the beginning. I really wanted to let you and Kris go. But then I realised that one day I am going to die and my daughter will be unprotected. Yixing, you are a good man and you're smart. My daughter won't create you trouble, I'm sure."

Lay heaved a huge sigh. He had to choose between a marriage with a stranger, who was by the way a daughter of a criminal, and his and Kris' life. He was smart enough to choose the first one.

"I will marry your daughter, Mr. Wang", he said. "Just leave Kris alone."

Mr. Wang smiled and told one of his men to bring in the girl. After a few seconds the door opened and a girl stepped in. Her eyes flickered to Lay and he smiled. He could see that she felt uncomfortable.

"This is Yixing", Mr. Wang pointed at him. Lay bowed slightly and so did she. "This is my daughter, Mingzhu."

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"Yixing is coming to the wedding, right?" Jiayu mumbled as Kris pulled her closer to himself.

He hummed in response. "He's weird. He told me that he has a surprize for all of us. Something's very weird about him."

Jiayu took his hand and squeezed it. "He's fine, I'm sure. We're getting married, Yifan, can you believe it? How would have said that?"

Kris took a deep breath and looked her in the eyes. "I can believe it. I'm happy like this. I love you and you love me." She loves me, he though, but why? He still couldn't believe that after all he had done in his life, Jiayu loved him. She didn't betray him, lied him, forced him to do things he didn't want to do. Thanks to her he had a new life.

"Hey, I never asked you, did you have a boyfriend before me?" he asked.

"Yes, I had one", she replied. "Why are you asking?"

"How long were you together?" he asked seriously.

Jiayu huffed. "Why are you asking?" The look on his face was dead serious and she muttered a reply. "Two years."

"That's quite long. You know...", he pulled her to his chest so her head rested there, "I'll have to be careful. My future wife is so pretty and I'll have to scare a lot of guys away from her."

Jiayu chuckled. "You're silly."

"I'm not silly. I just love you", he said and placed a soft kiss on her lips.