Chapter 02

HEARTBEAT

A girl dressed in a short blue dress walked into a store and greeted the woman who worked as the seller.

"Oh, Jiayu, it's been a while since you last came to my store! Did you go somewhere?' the woman said. 

Jiayu shook her head. "I was busy with school. You know, I just graduated from college", she said, obvious happiness in her eyes.

The woman smiled warmly. "I know, your aunt told me. I hope you will have a good life, my Jiayu." Jiayu smiled and walked towards the shelves. She noticed that a man was looking at her. She remembered that he was on the same bus with her that morning. She thought he might have been following her, but he didn't cover his face at all. She brushed the thought away, it was probably just a coincidence. She turned her head away from him and she could feel his stare. As she moved from shelf to shelf, she realised that he was closely following her.

She decided to approach him and ask him wether he was following her or not. Her steps were quick and sharp. She found him at the shelf with pads, looking at them, his face stoned and his eyes wide opened. 

"You need something, mister?" she asked.

At that moment Kris wished he never got out of the bed. First, he was caught by his target, and second, he was caught in front of a shelf full of pads. "Great", he thought. He blinked a few times and flashed her a smile.

"Actually, I do. My sister sent me to buy her pads, but I have no idea which ones to buy", he said, his face flushing.

"I recommend these", Jiayu said, grabbing a pack of pads from the shelf and handing them to him. He stared blankly at them and Jiayu chuckled.

"Thank you", he said. "No need to thank me", she said brightly and walked away to the cashier.

"My Jiayu", the woman said, "I remember when you moved here when you were five. You were so cute. Now you're all grown up and beautiful, a real woman." The woman continued chattering to Jiayu that she didn't notice that Kris was waiting in line. "Oh, I'm sorry, young man", she said and took his stuff. His face reddened as she took the pads. Jiayu smiled. "You are really pretty, Jiayu. I'm sure a whole bunch of boys are going after you", the woman said, wiggling her eyebrows. 

"I can't say that there aren't any guys, but there isn't a bunch of them", she said. "Besides, I don't want to be in a relationship now. I have to find a job first."

Kris paid for the stuff he took and left the store. He decided to watch Jiayu from the distance. If she caught him again, he would look suspicious to her. He still thought about the way she caught him in the store and he looked at the pack of pads in the plastic bag. He was still embarrassed. He ducked behind a car when he saw Jiayu passing by. She was heading towards the building where she lived together with her aunt. The building was near the store. Kris straightened up when he saw her entering the building. Lay told him that her aunt had hurt her arm a few days ago and Jiayu had to be in the apartment almost all the time. It would be hard for Kris to get her out of there. He plopped into his car and sighed.

"This is ", he said. "How can I kill her? She is young, educated, she has the right for a better future, she doesn't deserve to die." Kris had a habit to talk to himself once in a while. He only did that when he was frustrated and angry. Closing his eyes, he could see Jiayu's smiling face and he could have sworn that he heard her voice. He started the car and slammed on the accelerator. He thought of something and he needed someone's help.

 

The street was empty. Only one street lamp was throwing its light on the pavement. Jiayu was walking towards her apartment. Her aunt needed some painkillers and she had to go the the pharmacy. She was just five steps away from the building's entrance when she felt a hand on . She dropped her bag and tried to defend herself, but it was useless. With his right arm he picked her up and carried her to his car. He opened the back door, threw her onto the back seat and entered after her. As she escaped his grip, she tried to open the door and get out, but they were locked.

"We won't hurt you", she heard a  male voice from the front telling her. She was trembling with fear. She thought of her aunt who was waiting for her. She had to get out of the car. She clenched her teeth and started punching Kris, using all of her force to beat him. Kris was now angry. That girl was giving him a hard time. "I should have drugged you to fall asleep", he said and grabbed her wrists. Jiayu tried to set free, but she wasn't strong enough. In a few seconds Kris was straddling her, holding her wrists tightly. She looked at him, dry. At that moment she thought of her aunt and the stories she told her about men who would kidnap girls, them and later kill them.

"Don't me, please", she muttered. Kris rolled his eyes and took out a pair of handcuffs from his pocket.

"I will not you", he said, trapping her arms with the cuffs. When she heard his voice, she immediately recognized him.

"You are the guy from the store this morning. I remember you", she said. He got off of her. She took a closer look of his face and made sure that he was that man.

"You looked different", she said, "embarrassed." He glared in her direction.

"Why were you embarrassed, Kris?" Lay asked. "Shut up and drive", Kris gritted through his teeth.

"Let me first introduce myself to Miss Jiayu", Lay said. "My name is Lay", he turned around and gave her a smile. "I'm sorry that we had to meet like this, but your life is in danger."

She frowned. "We will explain it to you later", he said. "And you!" he pointed at Kris, "you have to introduce yourself! Manners are important", he scolded.

"My name is Kris", he said, rolling his eyes. "Now, would you please hurry up?! We have a lot of work to do."

After they entered their secret warehouse, Lay locked the door. Kris carried Jiayu to a room, because she had a blindfold on her eyes. "Would you please let me down? I can walk on my own", she said to Kris.

"You are blindfolded,you can't walk by yourself", he replied. "We are almost there."

Lay appeared in front of them and opened the door of the room. It was an operation room. He put Jiayu on the operation table and took her blindfold off. She squinted her eyes because of the brightness. "Where am I?" she whispered.

Kris took the handcuffs from her wrists and tied the wrists to the table. She didn't resist because she was beyond confused. Why was he tying her? She looked around and saw that she was in some kind of an improvised operation hall. Kris already managed to tie her ankles.
"Let me go!" she screamed, trying to break free. "I said let me go!!! What do you want from me?!" she cried.

"I want your heart", Kris said coldly. "Literally." Tears emerged from her eyes. She was going to die, she felt that. Death was never closer to her. "Don't," she said,

looking at his eyes. Kris looked away. "Lay, prepare everything for the surgery." Jiayu felt something stinging her. Lay was giving her anaesthetics. She felt the world around her becoming dark. "Goodbye", she whispered and closed her eyes.