Chapter 01

HEARTBEAT

A window popped on Lay's computer screen. It was the sign of someone's arrival. He checked the CCTV cameras and he saw a man typing the password at the entrance door. He looked away as he had more important business to do. He typed furiously, searching for the data he needed for his new business.
The door opened with a click and a tall, slender man entered the room. He was dressed casually, wearing a tracksuit and a pair of sneakers. His steps were inaudible. He made large steps towards Lay's seat. He extended his hand and tapped his shoulder, who turned around quickly.

"Hey, Kris! It's a good thing that you arrived. We got a new job."

Kris plopped in a chair next to Lay's. "What job?"

Lay typed something quickly and then turned to him. "The Father needs a new heart", he said.

Kris' face darkened. "And he wants us to get it for him", Lay continued. Kris frowned. "That means that I will have to kill someone." He looked to the ground. That was the first time that someone had asked for a heart.

"Have you found the ones who match?" he asked, his voice quiet.

Lay nodded. "I found two people in the organ donors' data base whose hearts are healthy." He clicked on the mouse a few times and photos of two people showed, along with their medical reports and history of their diseases. Kris' eyes stared blankly at the photos on the screen in front of him. He would probably have to kill one of them. One was a girl in her twenties, just graduated from college. She was beyond pretty. She had long black hair and big brown eyes. Kris found himself staring at her photo, not able to look away.

"She's pretty, right?" Lay said, "but The Father wants her heart. Hers is younger and stronger than this man's." Kris averted his gaze to the photo of the man. He was in his late fifties, working in a convenient store.

"The man lives alone. His wife died two years ago", Lay said. He glanced at the photo of the girl. "I wish I could save her. But it's either her life or ours. If we don't kill her, Father's men will hunt us down and feed us to the dogs." A sigh escaped his mouth. Kris was still staring at the girl's photo, his brain was still trying to process the fact that he had to kill her, that it was either him or her.

"Kris, I printed her reports and some information about her for you."

"Print me the man's information, too", Kris said. Lay looked at him, puzzled. "Print them." Lay obeyed and printed the information for him. Kris grabbed the papers from the desk and walked out of the room quietly. The fresh air that hit him after he left the building refreshed him. He spotted a bench in the nearby park and sat down. He took out the papers from his pocket. The girl stared at him from the photo and he rapidly looked away. "Zhang Jiayu", he read her name out loud. She had just graduated from college, got a degree in Chemistry. She had no parents, no brothers of sisters. Her aunt raised her. "I'm sorry, Zhang Jiayu, I'm really sorry."

Kris Wu was a young and promising surgeon two years ago. He had completed his internship sooner than it was planned. A lot of experienced doctors praised him for his skills and he was wanted by a lot of hospitals. Kris was a happy man. He had a girlfriend, enough money to afford himself a decent life, everything he needed. But that didn't last for a long time. A patient whom he had operated died during the surgery due to the allergy to a medicine. Everyone blamed him for the patient's death, but it was not his fault. No one told him that the patient wasn't tolerant to anaesthetics. He was sued and put in custody. Kris lost his doctor's licence, his girlfriend, his home. The court decided to put him in the jail for two years, but someone paid the bail and he was quickly out. The bail was paid by one of The Father's closest men. Kris had to pay him off by working for him. His job was to take out the organs, mostly kidneys, from people who owned money to his boss and had no money to pay the debt, and give the kidneys to his men who would sell them in the black market. Kris never killed anyone. A man can live perfectly without one kidney, but not without a heart.

He slammed the door of his bedroom and started stripping. He needed a shower. Entering the shower, he switched the water to the coolest and drenched himself. He closed his eyes, but he could still see the face of Zhang Jiayu. He shook his head to get rid of it, but it didn't help. He went out of the shower and quickly dressed. You have to kill someone, Wu Yifan, was the thought that was repeating constantly in his head. He went to bed, but he couldn't fall asleep.