Chapter 05

HEARTBEAT

Jiayu, Kris and Lay were at the airport. "I would like to see you again, Lay", Jiayu said. "When I come back here, I promise I'll call you." Lay smiled, while Kris was impatiently waiting for them to say goodbyes.

"I think I forgot to thank you, Lay, for everything you have done for me."

"There is no need to thank me, really. And make sure you call me as soon as you get to Guangzhou", he said kindly. Jiayu smiled and gave him a warm hug.

"Thank you once again", she muttered. 

A loud voice from the speakers informed them that it was time for them to board. They left to their terminal and after some twenty minutes they were on the plane. Jiayu hated the awkward silence that was between her and Kris and she decided to speak. "Why are we going to Guangzhou? Are you sure that we are going to be safe there?"

Kris was not in the mood to talk. He didn't know why, but he was somehow angry at her. The image of her hugging Lay was constantly flashing in his mind that he couldn't focus on anything else. After she had hugged him the other evening, he thought that he was maybe more special to her than Lay, but he was proved wrong. She repeated her questions and Kris had to answer. "I have a house there. No one is going to look for us there."
Jiayu was satisfied with his answer and decided not to ask him anything. She turned her face to the window and spaced out.

 

Streets of Gungzhou were full of cars and people who were rushing somewhere, minding their own business. Jiayu and Kris took a cab at the airport and Kris gave the address to the driver. Kris was quiet all the time. He spoke only when Jiaoyu asked him something, but his replies were short and always followed by a scowl. She thought that it was probably because of the flight, and he was tired.

They arrived in front of the house in half an hour. The house was bigger than Jiayu expected it to be. It had a beautiful garden and a pool, too. Kris was obviously well paid for his job. The enterior of the house wasn't less mesmerising than its exterior. Everything was clean and tidy. Kris took her upstairs and showed her the room where she was going to sleep. He brought her stuff to the room and then told her to come after him. He wanted to show her around the house. 
Jiayu was awed by everything in the house. She liked every single corner of the house. After the tour aronund the house, Kris asked her if she was hungry, and she shook her head, telling him that she had eaten in the plane.

"Kris, is there a store here nearby? I have to buy something." Kris looked at her, his look puzzled."Yes, there is. It's in the alley next to this. What do you need? I can buy it for you."

"I need pads. I forgot to bring them", she said. His face was as red as a tomato when she said that. He immediately remembered the incident from a few days ago. It would haunt him until the day of his death.

"Wait here", he said and went upstairs. He came back in a minute, carrying a pack of pads."I brought the ones I bought at the store the other day, in case you might need them." She coughed and took the pads from him.

"Thank you", she said and hurried to the bathroom.