Chapter 07

HEARTBEAT

Another week had passed. Kris and Jiayu were getting along pretty well. They talked more, often walked to the town, they even watched movies together. 
Lay had good news for them. Father didn't find out about the heart because Lay talked to the doctors. His men didn't look for Kris. He could relax, but only temporarily. It was only the matter of time when they would notice that he was gone.

It was Thursday evening when Kris got a text from his friend Luhan. Luhan and Kris studied medicine together in Beijing. Luhan's father was the principal of the hospital in Guangzhou, so he got back from Beijing to work in his hospital. Anyways, Luhan's birthday was on Friday and he decided to throw a party. He heard from Zitao, their mutual friend, that Kris was in town and he invited him.

Kris decided to bring Jiayu to the party, too. He didn't want to leave her home alone, besides, he thought of something that would surprise her.
He peeked through the kitchen door to make sure that she was busy with cooking, and then he sneaked into her bedroom. Opening her closet, he searched for the dress that Lay had bought to her. 

 

"Jiayu, I have some business in the town. Don't wait for me for the dinner", Kris said and left the house. Jiayu plopped on the couch, browsing through the TV channels. It was 10 pm and Kris wasn't back yet. She was worried about him. Why isn't he back yet? Maybe he's in trouble. What if something bad happened? Different thoughts were forming in her head. 

The sound of the doorbell shook her. She ran to the door and quickly opened them. Kris greeted her with a smile. He carried a big bag in his hand.

"Kris, you got me worried sick. Where have you been?!" The worry in her voice was more than obvious and Kris couldn't help but to grin. She sounded like a wife who was worried about her husband. He entered the living room and sat on the couch.

"Jiayu, one of my close friends, Luhan, invited me to a birthday party. Would you like to go with me?"

Jiayu perked up. "I would like to go! When is the party? Did you buy a gift for him?"

Kris chuckled. "Luhan doesn't need gifts. He is filthy rich. The party is tomorrow." 

"Jiayu, open that bag on the table." 
She took the bag and opened it. There were two boxes in there. "What is this?" she asked.

"Open the boxes", he said. His eyes were on her face, waiting for her reaction. Jiayu carefully opened the box and her eyes opened widely. The black mini dress that she had seen in the shop a week ago was neatly folded in the box. She turned to Kris.

"Thank you so much, Kris", she said, her smile growing wider and her cheeks reddening. Kris nodded. She opened the other box and saw a pair of black high heels. She ran to Kris and hugged him. "Thank you."

Kris' heart was bouncing happily. Jiayu was overjoyed, just as he expected. It felt nice to be hugged by her. He missed her hug so much. They remained hugged for a while and Jiayu felt awkward all of the sudden. She broke the hug. "Kris, thank you so much. I don't know what I did to deserve all of this."

Kris smiled. "You deserve it, Jiayu. You cook for me and clean every day. I thought I should repay you somehow."

"But how did you know the right size for the dress?"

He scratched his forehead. "I kind of a sneaked into your room and saw the size on one of your dresses."

Jiayu took the bag. "I'm going to try it on right now. Wait for me", she said and ran upstairs, to her bedroom. After a few minutes, Kris heard her steps. She stepped down the stairs, smile on her lips shy. Kris stood there completely bewitched by her beauty. The dress and the shoes fit her perfectly. He scanned her from head to toes, admiring her body.

She was a bit shy. She didn't know what to say. The only thing that was on her mind was why did he buy that dress to her. Maybe he liked her? Or he just wanted her to look good at the party and not embarrass him. "How do I look, Kris?" she asked. "I hope the dress will be appropriate for the party."

You look like a goddess and I want to kiss you , he thought. "Call me Yifan", he said. "That's my real name." Jiayu felt the heat of her cheeks rising. "And you look great, really great." She turned around and Kris caught the sight of her . That fact didn't help his thoughts at all. 

"Wait", he said, "that dress is backless???It's backless?"

 "Yes. You bought it. Don't tell me you didn't know", she laughed at his reaction.

His eyebrows furrowed."I didn't know. And you are going to wear it to the party?"

"Of course. It's the most beautiful dress I have", she replied, slightly confused by his question.

"I'm going to bed. Good night", he said and stormed out of the living room. Jiayu was beyond confused. Did she say or do something wrong to make him leave like this? She heard the door of his bedroom shutting with a loud BANG. She went to bed, continuing to think about him and tomorrow's party.

"Yifan, how can you be so stupid and buy a backless dress?!"he cursed at himself. "The worst thing is that she is going to wear it to Luhan's party. Freaking Luhan's party!" He began to talk to himself again, because he was frustrated. He was angry at himself for not checking the dress. "Why do you care, Yifan? What's wrong with her wearing that dress to the party?"As soon as he said that, he knew what was wrong. It was him who didn't want other men to look at her and check her out, especially Luhan. Luhan was a flirt, he knew that very well. There was no way that he wouldn't notice Jiayu. He realised that his feelings for Jiayu were growing stronger and out of his control. He threw himself on the bed, trying to think of a way to make her wear something else for the party.