Chapter 16

HEARTBEAT

"How are things going with Linhua?" Jiayu asked Luhan while they were waiting for Kris to join them in the cafe.

He sighed deeply. "Don't ask me that. I've known her for two months already and I still don't know wether she has a boyfriend or not."

"Just ask her", she stated.

"Ask her what?" they heard Kris' voice. He gave Jiayu a light hug and greeted Luhan. "You are talking about Linhua, right? So when is the wedding?" he said jokingly to Luhan.

Luhan pouted. "Don't tease me!"

Jiayu gave Kris a meaningful look and he turned serious. "OK, what's the problem?"

"Luhan doesn't know if she has a boyfriend or not", Jiayu said quietly.

Kris shrugged. "What's the problem then? Ask her."

"How can I do that? I mean, wouldn't it be obvious that I like her if I asked her that?" Luhan said and Kris huffed.

"Luhan, it's already obvious that you like her. Even if she was blind she could see that. You stare at her like she's some kind of a miracle and you never take of that stupid smile when she talks to you. You look like an infatuated highschooler when she is near you", Kris said, already annoyed with his friend.

"I can ask her if you like", Jiayu suggested and Luhan nodded rapidly.

"Thank you, Jiayu, you're a real friend. Not like this guy here", he glared at Kris who glared back at him.

"So when is your wedding?" he smirked at Jiayu and Kris.

Jiayu shrugged. "We don't know." Kris took her hand and kissed it.

"You'll have to buy us a gift soon, Luhan, because the wedding is next month", he said and Jiayu's eyes widened.

"What do you mean next month, Yifan?! I don't remember us talking about the wedding!"

Kris chuckled and pinched her cheeks. "We shouldn't wait any longer. I can't wait for you to become Ms. Wu."

Luhan coughed to get their attention. "But first we need to help him", Kris pointed at Luhan. 

"I don't need help!" Luhan said.

Kris rolled his eyes. "Of course you need help. I want you to come to our wedding with Linhua, as a couple."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"Hi!" Linhua said cheerfully as she saw Luhan. He waited for her to finish with her work so they could have lunch.

He was smiling constantly while she was talking about her day at work.

"You know, Luhan, I've got a raise. My boss says that I'm a great worker", she said, joy evident in her voice. "Today is my treat."

He shook his head vigorously. "No no no! It's my treat. I can't let a lady pay for me."

She frowned playfully. "Come on, I'm your friend. You have to let me treat."

"I don't care", he said sternly. "It's my treat."

They continued bickering who was going to treat until they  got to the restaurant. 

"Luhan, what is this? This is not the restaurant we went before, this is way out of my league." The restaurant they entered was more than luxurious. Linhua's eyes roamed all over the room, scanning and admiring every single thing, while Luhan just casually walked through it. He was used to those kinds of places, he even got sick of them.

Linhua stared at the menu in shock. "Luhan, this is way too expensive. I can't afford this."

"But I can, Linhua. And this is my treat for the raise you got", he said calmly, trying to look suave as he scanned through the menu. He was always making sure that he looked got in front of her. He looked at her searching through the menu and pondered wether to ask her or not.

"How is your sister?" he asked.

"She's alright, a bit tired but alright." 

Linhua's phone suddenly rang. "Yes, Mr. Luo, sure."

As soon as Luhan heard her say Mr. Luo his eyes darkened. It seemed like her boss had a perfect timing. Whenever Linhua was with him, he would call. That started to annoy him a lot. Especially because Linhua was all smiles when she talked to him. That stirred a doubt in him and even jealousy.

Finally Linhua ended the call. "Mr. Luo is so funny even when he's talking about business matters."

"Is he?" Luhan said bitterly. He was frowning more than usual.

"What is it? Are you angry?" Linhua asked carefully.

Luhan looked up at her. "Do you have a boyfriend, Linhua?" he asked boldly. He didn't know where he found his courage to ask her, but he asked her and there was no way back.

Linhua looked at him, a bit confused. "I-I don't. Why?"

Luhan wanted to smile, but he resisted the urge to do so. He had to remain serious. "What do you think about marriage?"

"I would like to get married. I'm twenty seven, it's time."

"I would like to get married, too. I even have someone in mind", he smirked. "I think I've found a person I would like to marry."

Linhua smiled slighty. "Who is it? She must be a doctor or something like that" she said jokingly, only to find Luhan staring at her.

"She is really beautiful, smart and I love her", he said with a smile. "I really love her."

"I love you, Linhua", he said. Her eyes shoot up at him, shock evident on her face. 

"I think you are the right person for me and if you agree we can-"

She got up from her seat and grabbed her bag. Luhan stood up immediately. "Luhan, I have to leave."

She turned around and walked out of the restaurant, leaving Luhan completely stoned. Was that her way of rejecting him? Just walking away without any explanation? He could almost hear his heart crumbling, but he decided to run after her. Even though he was afraid to actually hear her rejecting him, he preferred that to just silence.

He caught up with her soon. She was walking slowly, her eyes pinned to the ground. He grabbed her forearm and spun her around. She gasped from the sudden contact, but calmed when she saw him. 

He gulped and bit his lip. "Linhua, you didn't answer me. You didn't even let me finish my sentence."

She looked away from him. "I can't, Luhan, I'm really sorry", she said shakily. She tried to break free from his grasp, but it was useless.

Luhan held her tightly and trembled. Her words crushed him. He was rejected by the woman he was madly in love with. "Why?" he breathed out, trying to look her in the eyes but she kept avoiding any eye contact.

"I won't let you go until I hear an explanation", he said, "And I don't care that we are in the middle of the street and people are watching."

She heaved a sigh. She knew that Luhan could be stubborn sometimes. "The reason I can't be with you is that we come from two different worlds, Luhan. You are a doctor and I'm just a secretary."

Luhan blinked a few times, trying to process her words. "Is that the only reason?"

She sighed again. "Your parents are probably going to see me as a gold digger and..."

Luhan hushed her. "Is that the only reason?" he repeated. She nodded briefly.

"Then let's not waste our time on being just friends", he whispered and pulled her into a hug. "Just accept me, please", he mumbled into her neck. "I couldn't stand another heartbreak."

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Yifan, I don't think I'll be able to come to the wedding", Lay said to Kris over the phone.

"What?! I don't care if you have work to do or something like that! You have to show up at the wedding!" Kris literally shouted in his phone."And where the hell are you?!"

"I'm sorry but I don't think I can make it", he replied and ended the call, leaving Kris speechless and more than angry.

"You did well, doctor", Wang Donghai said as another man pushed Lay to sit down.

"What do you want?" Lay hissed and Wang Dongai just smiled and snapped his fingers.

"I want to help you, that's all."

"You will help me if you let me leave", Lay said, this time in a calmer tone.

Mr. Wang sighed deeply."Be my right-hand man, doctor."