Chapter 11

HEARTBEAT

"Lay, I think you're out of your mind! I thought you were a sensible man. I shouldn't have come here." Kris paced around the room, not believing that Lay had just presented him a plan to kill The Father, a plan which included them cooperating with another gang. 

Lay bit his lips nervously. "Kris, listen to me. I tried to solve this in a much nicer way. I begged him to spare you."

Kris' eyes bulged out in surprize.

"Last week I had a strange dream. I dreamt my real mother. When I woke up I remembered the day of her death." Kris stopped pacing. He knew that Lay was now probably really serious and upset, as soon as he brought up his real mother.

"She told me that my biological father was The Father. I didn't understand her back then, I was only six. But now I understand. I took a hair from The Father and did a DNA test." He inhaled deeply and closed his eyes. "I'm his son."

Blinking a few times, Kris took a few steps towards him. "I told him the results of the DNA and I told him to spare you. He promised me that he would do so, but he didn't. He ordered his people to kill you. I thought he would hurt me, too, but he didn't."

"Being his son gave me the authority to access to every single thing in the gang. I was searching through the archive and I found a file called "Doctor". They set you up, Kris. Two years ago, that patient of yours that died, they set it up. They paid some nurse to inject him the wrong anaesthetic."

Kris froze in his place. "They paid your bail and got you to work with them. It was all a plan. They did the same to me."

"They destroyed our lives, Kris", Lay said firmly. "The only thing we can do is to pay them back. Are you ready to do that?"

"Are you ready, Lay? Are you ready to kill your father?" Kris asked, looking at his friend.

Lay sighed. "He is not my father. And I'm ready to do it."
__________________________________________________________________________

 

Followed by two guards, Kris and Lay entered the office. The guards motioned them to sit, which they obeyed. The man who sat across the table looked just like any ordinary middle aged man. He smiled upon seeing the two young men. He gave off a pleasant vibe, which was a bit unordinary for a man whose main business was arms trafficking.

"One of my men told me that you came here to offer me help", he spoke. His voice was very deep.

"That's right", Lay said, while Kris just stared blankly at the man.

The man's lips twitched into a small smile. He observed the young men in front of him. They seemed to be decisive and afraid at the same time and he decided to give them a chance.

"We are here to help you take over the underground throne", Lay said firmly.

A frown appeared on the man's face. 

"We know that you are one of The Father's most important partners, but also one of those who want his head the most. We can help you kill him and take over all of his business. It's not a big secret that even most of his men want him out of it."

The man shifted in his chair. He stared at his phone on the table, thinking about the men in front of him. Why were they offering him help? How did they know about his desires to kill The Father? They were obviously well informed. "And what do you want in return?" 

"A normal life", Kris finally spoke. "We want to be out of this forever." The man's eyes shoot up to Kris. The look in his eyes reminded him of himself, just thirty years younger. He wanted a normal life, he wanted wife and children, a nice house and an ordinary job. But he couldn't find a way out. The gang took over his life and he had found himself tangled in it.

"What you're asking from me in return seems impossible", he replied. "Let's say that I accept your offer. What are you going to do and how can I assure you a normal life?"

"We are going to kill him. All you have to do is to provide us protection and let us go, let us run away", Lay said.

The man raised an eyebrow. "You think that killing him is going to be easy? He is surrounded by guards 24/7."

Lay smiled slightly. "That won't be a problem. I'm one of his closest men, he believes me."

"Then why do you want to kill him?"

"This man next to me and I were set up by him and he made us do some dirty work. We simply want a way out of this", Lay said.

"I accept your offer", the man said, his words followed by a deep sigh. "I will give you everything you need. We'll keep in touch."

Lay and Kris nodded in unision. They got up and Kris looked to the man.

"Who are you two?" the man asked.

"We are doctors", Kris said with a small smile. The man smiled back at him. Kris reminded him so much of himself.

 They left the man's house.

"Hire two men to follow those two", he ordered to one of his men. 

 

Lay and Kris walked out on the street. The sun was setting slowly and it was getting dark.

The two rushed to their car, and after a few seconds they realised that they weren't alone. Two men were running after them. Lay slowed down. A few seconds later Kris realised that Lay was way behind him and he stopped. He turned around and saw Lay trapped by the two men.

He grabbed a rock from the ground and rushed to help his friend.