19...

Headless Horseman - The legend of the white wolf

19

The  powerful wind smashed Daesung’s brown fringes all over his face, but he wouldn’t react. His hands loosely hung by, his straight posture and  his small eyes could make anyone believe he was just some sort of an adamant statue. But, at a closer look one could see the alerted eyes, always searching for something. His cell phone called again the same number that wouldn’t answer since last night.

“It looks so quiet from up here” he spoke on his self while the tips of his shoes diligently touched the edge of the guard wall. People down below on the street looked so calm and peaceful…

“Youngbae, what have I done?...”  he spoke again when two burning tears tied a knot on his chin. He closed his eyes to allow the wind to take him back two nights ago:

‘ “I wonder what’s up with him…?” ‘ he could hear Taeyang’s voice as if he was really next to him.

The images back then began appearing and he saw himself answering:

‘ “I really don’t know, but he scares me…” ‘ he said pushing the hospital’s glass door, then he froze in place.

‘ “What’s the matter?” ‘ Taeyang asked poking him to start walking again.

‘ “Um..  nothing… Let’s go!” ‘ he answered hurrying up his steps.

‘ “Why to hurry?” ‘ Taeyang asked smiling. “Looks like it will be a full moon tonight” he said looking up on the sky.

‘ “Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of…” ‘ Daesung answered almost running.

‘ “Yo, chill out! What’s up?...” ‘ Taeyang hurried to help his friend when he suddenly stopped. ‘ “Dae-Dae are you ok?” ‘ he easily toughed Daesung’s shoulder.

‘ ”Get out of here…” ‘ Daesung barely muttered.

‘ “What?....” ‘ Taeyang asked in disbelief. 

‘ “I said GET OUTT’A HERE!” ‘ he roared throwing  fire glares at his friend.

The red eyes and his doubled voice make Taeyang to lose his balance and fall on the ground from where he silently watched his friend bending and twisting in pain.

‘ “Please… go… away…” ‘ Daesung managed to spell among cries and screams.

Yes, he would… only if he could remember how to do that think called “walking”… For the moment his moving abilities summed up to excessively amplifying his eyes to the point that they almost popped out. What once were his friend’s fully dressed arms now they became only two partially dressed hairy paws.

‘ “What the f….” ‘ Taeyang tried to spell but all he could do was to crawl back.

Daesung’s red, fiery eyes were now captured somewhere inside this doggish-like figure. And they were staring at him. A fierce roar announced his next move.

Taeyang’s only reaction proved to be crossing his arms in front to protect his face, even if he knew too well this won’t be of any help. Indeed it wasn’t. The creature’s big fangs pierced through his arm stealing him a thick shout.  The cocktail of fear and adrenaline gave him the right amount of power to push his ‘once human friend’  off of him just in time to dodge another attack. He quickly got up covering his wound, rolling around to ask for help. The streets were empty. Because of who knows what reason he thought he’d be safer somewhere inside, and the first think he laid his eyes on was a  multi-story parking lot.   A tear escaped his eye, but not because he was afraid. He hadn’t had the time to realize his fear because after just a few steps he had to stop and scream once again when the Daesung-creature cut off his path. His life-threatening fangs seemed to be glued one to each other by some thick saliva columns when he roared again.

Taeyang’s eyes doubled their size.

‘ “It was you in the room…” ‘ he managed to whisper before he had to dodge one of his friend’s huge bite. Just when he got ready to fight back he had to quickly step back several times because some white creature took Daesung down.

The same white wolf from that night saved him again.

The two creatures began an awkward fight… every time one of the two could’ve finish the fight, they simply wouldn’t but they’d give each other the chance to straighten up.

Taeyang decided it would be wise to take advantage of this situation and flee, but, once again, faith wasn’t on his side and he stepped on an empty soda can drawing all eyes on him.

Daesung suddenly stopped his fight with the white wolf. He roared in the air once then he took two hops and cut off Taeyang’s will to run on that part of the street. Just like every blonde bimbo in any horror movies, Taeyang chose the stairs as his redemption track. Bad choice! This parking lot wasn’t even big, it had only three stories that he climbed in less than 30 seconds. He would have almost fallen over the edge if he wouldn’t have stopped in time.  He turned around to face the growling Daesung-creature. He only had time to once again cross his arms over his head and crouch before Daesung launched another attack against him.  It all lasted less than 3 seconds, then it was only silence, and no pain.

Taeyang waited other several seconds before he would open up his arms. He looked around – he seemed to be alone. His heart almost stopped its beating when he heard a soft whine. He rolled around to find the sound.

‘ “Dae-Dae!” ‘  he shouted when he  saw Daesung laying on the wet concrete just below him. He climbed down all the stories twice as fast as he ran them up. He stopped before stepping on the lonely blood puddle.

‘ “Dae-ah…” ‘ he mumbled searching for him all over the place. He was nowhere to be found.

Taeyang took a short glimpse at the purple-reddish sky. He had no idea why, but the cold arrival of the dawn made him feel safe. He looked again for his friend, but he still couldn’t see him anywhere.  He checked his wound – it didn’t bleed anymore. After he filled his lungs with the fresh morning air he stepped twice before he had to fall on the ground again: the Daesung-creature faced him, growling.  A new roar announced a new attack. Taeyang knew he couldn’t fight it so he just waited for his end staring deep in his friend’s eyes. He froze in place and silently watched as the creature shut its eyes just before it’d bite him. It started howling and bending until it stopped on the cold asphalt, with the sun lighting the tall buildings around them. Taeyang had no idea if the cold shivers down his spine were because of the freezing weather of because the images from last night still tormented his mind. His fingers clenched on his thick arm, even if it stopped bleeding long ago. He felt no pain, just the icy wind stinging on every little piece of his body. He rolled his eyes just as much as he needed to get a glimpse at Daesung, who laid on the ground arms wide stretched. He looked like he was asleep but he wasn’t…Daesung opened up his eyes just to find himself back in the present day. His feet were now half outside the guard wall’s edge, ready to take the final step.