CHAPTER XXVI JUST IN THREE SECONDS

If Only..

CHAPTER XXVI

JUST IN THREE SECONDS

 

It was a cloudy Sunday morning and Tiffany was sitting on the couch in the living room of her shared apartment. Her hair was messy and her eyes were swollen and red. She had been crying all night and she had only slept for a couple of hours. In fact, she had been crying every night for the last few days, all because she had done something stupid to her bestest best friend. The crescent eyed girl looked tired and bothered as she opened her laptop and swiped her touchpad. She needed to talk to somebody about her problem, and she couldn’t think of any other person to share her pain but her best friend who lived in Los Angeles, almost six thousand miles away. The black haired American girl had texted Elizabeth earlier and they had arranged for a video call.

“What’s up, Seoul?” Elizabeth greeted as soon as the call was connected.

“Jesus Christ; you look like a mess, Tiff.” The American brunette said as she stared at Tiffany’s face through her laptop’s camera. She was not expecting to see her long life best friend in such condition, since the black haired girl had only texted her saying that she really needed to talk to her. “What happened?”

“Hi, Liz…” The crescent eyed girl answered weakly.

“Have you been crying?” Elizabeth looked worried. “Is everything okay?”

Tiffany didn’t answer. She suddenly felt she shouldn’t talk to Elizabeth about her problem. She suddenly felt scared that her first ever best friend would not understand her and turned disgusted of her.

“Tiff…” The brunette American said again, “… You know you can tell me anything…”

“Did something happen?”

And Tiffany’s mind went straight to what happened three days ago. She didn’t want to remember it, and she had hoped that everything that had happened on that rainy afternoon had just been a dream, but she knew it was real; as real as her feelings for a certain blonde girl she knew. And Jessica’s face turned up once more in her head, like always, and she started to cry again as her mind took her back to that fated day…

 

“Jessie…” Tiffany whispered her name as her body was drenched by the cold rain water. “… I’m cold…”

“Then let’s get out of this rain…” Jessica’s sweet voice whispered into her ears and her pair of soft and gentle arms wrapped around her shoulders, and all her pain disappeared.

“J-Jessie?” The crescent eyed girl was surprised to hear the blonde’s voice. She had thought her bestest best friend didn’t follow her when she ran away from Sooyoung’s house earlier. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m looking for a cute girl who suddenly ran away without telling her best friend anything,” The blue eyed girl giggled as she tightened her hug. “Did you see someone like that passing through this park?”

“I-I…” Tiffany had just realized that she was now sitting on a swing at a park near Sooyoung’s house.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…” She tried to break away from the blonde’s hug.

“Let me go!” She wiggled around to escape Jessica’s embrace when the blonde would not let her go. “Let me go, Jessie!”

“Fine!” The blue eyed girl suddenly let go, but then she forcefully yanked her hand instead. “But you’re coming with me!”

“What are you doing?” Tiffany yelled at her bestest best friend as she felt her hand being pulled harshly.

“You can yell at me all you want when we get out from this rain!” Jessica shouted as she pulled Tiffany and rushed to a nearby public restroom.

“There!” She glared at the black haired American girl and let go of her hand when they reached the restroom and at least had a roof to cover them from the heavy rain.

 

Both of the girls were now standing in front of the smelly public restroom. Tiffany rubbed her aching hand and stared at her feet, scared to look at her bestest best friend in the eye. She had seen Jessica angry before, she even had seen her punched and KO'd a boy before, but she had never felt scared of her stern words and cold glares because she had never been the subject of her anger before. And now Jessica was angry at her. And she could finally feel what it was like being pierced by the blonde’s icy glare.

Jessica was now leaning on the wall, still staring at her bestest best friend. She noticed the crescent eyed girl was scared and was staring at her feet, and she suddenly felt bad for shouting at her. But she had to; otherwise the two of them would still be out there in the rain. And then she noticed that Tiffany’s knees were bleeding.

“Look at your knees…” Jessica said worriedly as she pointed out to her knees. Her eyes looked sad.

“It’s okay…” The crescent eyed girl replied.

“No, it’s not…” The blonde girl said as she kneeled down and wiped her knees with her white handkerchief.

“Does it hurt?” Jessica asked as she looked up into her eyes.

“No…” The black haired American girl shook her head weakly. But she was telling the truth; they didn’t hurt anymore, not since Jessica noticed them and wiped them clean.

And then the blue eyed girl blew on both of her knees and kissed them, sending shivers all over Tiffany’s body. And she bit her lips to calm her rising heartbeat down.

“There; now all we have to do is apply some bandages on them.” The blonde said sweetly as she stood up.

 

“I’m sorry,” The blonde sighed when she noticed the crescent eyed girl was still avoiding her gaze. “I'm sorry for dragging you…”

“So why did you run away?” The blue eyed girl’s voice was so gentle and sweet now.

“Nothing…” Tiffany shook her head again as her face was getting hotter; she couldn’t shake the image of the blue eyed girl kneeling and kissing her knees.

“So you just felt like running and fell down and decided to play swings in the rain?” Jessica giggled when she said that.

“Mhmm…” The crescent eyed girl was now biting her lips harder. She felt her chest tightened; like she always felt when Jessica was close to her.

“Silly Tiffany…” The blonde girl let out a deep sigh and wrapped her arms around her cold friend.

This time Tiffany didn’t try to push her away. Instead, she threw her arms around Jessica’s waist and pulled her closer. She buried her face against the blonde’s neck and took a deep breath to enjoy her warmth. And the girls stayed in that position for a while.

 

“Taeyeon was the one who hugged me, you know…” Jessica suddenly said after a while.

“W-What?” Tiffany was surprised to hear that and tried to push her away but the blonde girl tightened her hug.

“I didn’t know what I said to make her hug me like that and I was just surprised for a moment.” The blue eyed girl continued.

“S-So what are you saying?”

“I’m saying that we weren’t doing anything,” The blonde said calmly while looking into Tiffany’s eyes. “You just caught us at the wrong time…”

“W-Why…” The black haired American girl stuttered as she realized Jessica knew the reason why she ran away all along. “W-Why would it matter to me?”

“I don’t care if you hug Taeyeon!” Tiffany blurted out as she pulled away from the blonde. “I don’t even care if you hug Krystal!”

“Oh, really?” Jessica was giggling now.

“I-It’s not my business anyway!” The crescent eyed girl’s face was all red now.

“Then why did you run away?” The blue eyed girl asked again.

“I-It was…” Tiffany tried to think of a reason but her mind was blank. “I-It was none of your business!”

“Fine, then…” Jessica laughed, but there was a hint of disappointment in her eyes. “I’m sorry…”

“Good!” The crescent eyed girl glared at her. “You better be!”

“I’m sorry for not pulling away as soon as I could when Taeyeon hugged me…” The blonde girl stared with sad eyes.

“Good!” Tiffany said as she unconsciously revealed she was indeed upset by their hug. “Glad you noticed!”

“And I’m sorry if I seemed too cuddly with Soojung…” Jessica continued.

“Finally!” The crescent eyed girl shouted. “You finally realized it!”

“Yes; I’m sorry,” Jessica nodded and put on her best puppy eyes. “I’m sorry for making you jealous…”

“J-Jealous?” Tiffany’s eyes grew bigger and her face turned redder. “I am not jealous!”

“But you are,” The blonde girl wore her best innocent face. “You are jealous, Tiff…”

“Am not!” The crescent eyed girl glared at her.

“Are too!” And the blue eyed girl returned the glare with her own.

“Am not!”

“Are too!”

“Am not!”

Jelly Fany!” Jessica playfully stuck her tongue out at her.

“Jessie!” Tiffany shouted as she pounded the blonde’s chest with the side of her hand repeatedly. “I’m not jealous!”

Jelly Fany-Jelly Fany!” Jessica laughed as she pulled the crescent eyed girl into her arms once more.

“I said I’m not jealous…” The black haired American girl said weakly as she stopped hitting her bestest best friend.

“I know; I know…” The blue eyed girl smiled as she stared into her eyes.

“But if you were, it’s okay, you know…” She added as she brushed Tiffany’s bangs aside. “I think it’s cute…”

And when their eyes met Tiffany felt a familiar sensation of something was about to burst out from her chest. The feeling was accompanied by a strong sense of longing, like always, like she wanted to reach out and pour her heart to the blue eyed girl. And she usually just brushed those feelings aside and held them in, without knowing what her heart really wanted, but this time she decided to let herself go and find out what her heart really wanted.

And she kissed her. On her lips. She closed her eyes and leaned forward and kissed her. On her lips. She kissed her bestest best friend. On her lips. For three or four or maybe five seconds. Seconds of jolt of electricity and warmth coming from the sensation of her lips touching hers that filled her entire body and made her knees and hands weak. A few seconds of heaven…

 

But then she realized what she had done and she quickly opened her eyes and pulled away. She stared at the blonde girl who was now staring back at her with a surprised look on her face and felt her heart sank. And between the sound of the rain hitting the roof of the restroom she could hear the sound of her own heart beat and felt how hot her cheeks and ears were. She could not say anything at that moment, not when she herself didn’t know why she had done such a thing.

“Tiff…” Jessica’s voice was trembling as she slowly reached out to Tiffany. “I…”

“N-No!” The crescent eyed girl quickly covered her ears and closed her eyes, scared of what Jessica might say. “No!”

“Tiff, listen to me…” The blonde girl tried to pull her hands away from her ears.

“No!” And Tiffany shouted as hard as she could before she ran away into the rain. Once more.

“Tiffany!” Jessica was calling her, but she wouldn’t stop running. She couldn’t. Not after what she had done. She had kissed her best friend. On her lips. And that was not something that friends do. And even if friends do that, that was not what their kiss earlier meant. No; the kiss was not meant between friends, her heart knew. The kiss was to show how much she loved her.

 

And although she couldn’t think clearly at the time, her legs took her to the bus stop. The crescent eyed girl thanked God when she saw that the bus had just stopped and opened its door to let out a couple of passengers. She quickly hopped into the fortunately empty bus and rushed to the back, and saw Jessica was running with all her strength towards her. Luckily the bus driver didn’t see a drenched blonde girl running and waving, hoping that he would wait for her, and stepped on the gas pedal and drove away.

Jessica kept running and shouting the black haired American girl’s name, while Tiffany just stared at her from the bus with teary eyes. She felt sorry for her for having to run in the rain, but she was not prepared to talk to her now. Not when she knew that they would just talk about the kiss. She unconsciously touched her own lips at the thought, and could remember clearly how soft and warm the kiss was.

After a while the blue eyed girl lost her strength and stopped running. Tiffany could see the blonde was shouting her name for one last time before she waved goodbye, and shouted something that she could not make out. It was like a scene from a TV drama she had watched before. And the bus made a turn and Jessica’s drenched figure disappeared from her eyes. The crescent eyed girl suddenly lost all her strength and sank her body into her seat and closed her eyes. She wondered what Jessica said just now. But all she could think of was how soft, warm and sweet Jessica’s lips were.

 

“Tiffany?” Elizabeth’s voice woke Tiffany from her daydream. “Are you okay?”

“What would you do, Liz,” The crescent eyed girl said weakly as she stared into the distance. “What would you do if you fell in love with the wrong person?”

“Huh?” The brunette American girl was surprised by the sudden question. “What do you mean the wrong person?”

“Someone you’re not supposed to fall in love with…” Tiffany said again, still not looking at her friend.

“Someone you’re not supposed to fall in love with?” Elizabeth looked confused. “Like who?”

“Like your teacher?”

“Yeah…” The black haired girl’s eyes were still not focused. “… Like your teacher…”

“Well…” Her Los Angeles best friend was deep in thoughts. “… I’ve never pictured myself dating my teacher before…”

“Why don’t you guys date secretly?” Elizabeth was just telling her the first thing that came to her mind.

“Hmm…” Tiffany seemed to be pondering the idea. “… Perhaps we could…”

“Wait; no!” She quickly said when she realized what Elizabeth was saying. “No! I’m not gay!”

“You’re not a what? Elizabeth was shocked to hear her comment.

“I’m not ga…” She was about to say again, but quickly stopped when she realized Elizabeth was not supposed to hear that. No one was supposed to hear that. “I-I mean…”

“Tiff…” The brunette clearly looked shocked. “… I never thought…”

“Don’t tell anyone, Liz!” The crescent eyed girl covered her face when she said that. “Please, I beg of you; don’t tell anyone!”

“Please…”

“I-I…” Elizabeth saw how troubled Tiffany was with her situation and it broke her heart. “I won’t, Tiff…”

“Of course I won’t…” The only thing the brunette regretted was how she could not say the words faster to calm her best friend’s troubled heart.

Both girls stayed quiet after that, busy with their own minds. Tiffany was occupied with the thought of her being gay, something that she had been sure she was not; until she met Jessica Jung. Elizabeth was busy thinking of what to say next, what could she do to ease her Korean best friend’s pain. But her mind was filled with questions instead, and she couldn’t keep it to herself anymore.

 

“So…” Elizabeth asked carefully. “Who was it?”

“W-Why do you ask something like that?” Tiffany looked shocked by the question.

“I-I was just curious…” The brunette American looked scared Tiffany would get mad at her for asking such question. “You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to…”

And so the crescent eyed girl stared back down at her feet and stayed quiet.

“Is it Jessica?”

“Who-What?” Tiffany felt her heart stopped when she heard the name.

“Oh, my God! It’s her isn’t it?” Elizabeth had opened wide when she saw how quickly her best friend’s face turned red just by hearing the blonde’s name. “You’re in love with Jessica, aren’t you?”

“I’ve never seen you flushed like this before…”

“Wow…” The brunette girl was amazed. “… She must have been quite the charmer to be able to make you fall in love with her…”

“L-Liz, stop it!” The black haired girl glared at her best friend.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” Elizabeth said as she covered her head like she was preparing for Tiffany to hit smack her in the head.

“What should I do, Liz?” The crescent eyed girl said after letting out a deep sigh. “I don’t want this…”

“Well first you need to tell me everything so I can understand what happened between the two of you.” The brunette girl wore her best smile.

“You think?” Tiffany hesitated.

“Yes.” Elizabeth nodded a couple of times.

“Where should I start?”

“From the very beginning…”

 

And Tiffany slowly opened up and told her long time best friend everything about her and Jessica Jung. And by doing that, she also figured out more about her own heart. As she told Elizabeth more about them, the more she knew how much she loved the blue eyed girl. And Elizabeth also found her story different from when she told her before. Tiffany had told her about her new “best friend” a few times, and she had always looked so excited and happy to tell her about the blue eyed girl, but never like this. This time there were incredible details and passion she had never told her before.

The crescent eyed girl told Elizabeth about how she was amazed by how pretty the blonde was when they first met. She told her about how cute and alluring her gaze was from the rear mirror when her dad offered to take them home. She told her about the mall and how she thought Krystal was her girlfriend. She told her about the amusement park and how cute Jessica was getting scared of heights and ghosts. And this time she told her about their little interactions; how she felt the happiest by Jessica’s kind and sweet words, her gentle and warm touches, her cute pout, her alluring smiles and her lovely gestures. And she told her about how Jessica made her feel this strange and strong sense of longing. Longing for something that she couldn’t understand what she wanted. Not until recently.

Tiffany told her how she had always waited for Jessica’s calls when they were not together, or her texts when she didn’t have the time to make a phone call. The crescent eyed girl told her how Jessica’s sweet voice was the last thing she ever wanted to hear just before she went to sleep.

And the black haired girl told her about how she had missed Jessica when she was in Jeonju for winter break. She told her how there was this anxious feeling in her stomach that made her want to cry and fly away to the blonde’s side whenever Jessica told her that she missed her.

And Tiffany told Elizabeth about the gifts they had exchanged with each other. A pretty silver anklet that she kept wearing until this day. A fluffy pink teddy bear with a pink diary. A ten-minute hug that she wished was longer and tighter. And a sweet heavenly kiss on her cheek. A taste of Jessica’s lips that left her wanting for more.

And she told her best friend how she got jealous easily when it was about the blonde girl. She got upset easily, and she got happy easily when it was about Jessica Jung.

And she told her about Sooyoung’s birthday. How Jessica made her jealous by hugging her little sister, how the younger Jung taunted her, and how she felt like it was the end of the world when she saw Jessica and Taeyeon hugging. She told her how she ran away and fell down, how she scraped her knees and cried, and how Jessica hugged her and took her away from the rain, how the blonde like she had always done, and how she finally let herself go and kissed her. On her lips. That soft and warm and sweet lips of her…

 

“Okay, enough about her lips.” Elizabeth suddenly said as she shook her head. “I’m starting to feel sick…”

“Oh, I’m sorry…” Tiffany looked sad. “… You must be disgusted by me…”

“I-I am not!” The brunette girl quickly shouted when she realized what she just said had hurt Tiffany. “I didn’t mean it like that, Tiff, I swear!”

“I was just overwhelmed by how sweet you pictured Jessica’s lips!” Elizabeth looked panicked now. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to say it like that!”

“Tiff, I’m really, really sorry,” Elizabeth continued when she saw how sad Tiffany’s face was. “You know I’ll never be disgusted of you; no matter what.”

“Why?” The crescent eyed girl suddenly asked. “Why aren’t you disgusted?”

“Why aren’t you scared of me?”

“You’re my best friend, Tiff,” The brunette girl let out a deep sigh. “And I’ve known you for as long as I can remember…”

“I know that you’re a nice person, and nothing can change that.”

“And honestly, I don’t care if you like girls.” Elizabeth continued. “You can love whoever you want!”

“Thanks, Liz…” Tiffany said as she wiped her tears dry.

 

“So…” Elizabeth asked after the black haired girl calmed down. “… Did she say anything?”

“After the kiss, I mean…”

And Tiffany’s mind once again took her a few days back, to the night after the kiss. Tiffany was sitting on the couch in the living room already in her pink pajamas, staring into the distance, with her towel covering her head and her shoulders. Her hands were grasping the towel so hard like she was holding on the towel for her life. The TV was on, there was a famous variety show playing, but she wasn’t even paying any attention to the funny MC cracking a typical Korean physical joke. And amidst the noisy laughter from the TV, one could hear the crescent eyed girl muttering something over and over again, trying to convince herself;

“I’m not gay-I’m not gay-I’m not gay-I’m not gay…”

And although she had just taken a shower to warm her cold and drenched body, she was still shivering. It was not because she was cold, but because she was shocked and scared from what happened earlier. Her phone at the coffee table in front of her suddenly rang and she jumped in her seat; surprised. She leaned her body slowly and carefully towards the pink cell phone to see who was calling her, although deep inside she already knew it could only be Jessica.

And she was correct. Her phone’s screen was showing a picture of the blonde girl staring at the snow falling from the sky; a photo she took when they went to the amusement park and saw the first snow together. The black haired American girl sank her body in her seat and let out a deep sigh. She didn’t want to pick up the phone. She was scared Jessica would want to talk with her about the kiss, and the blue eyed girl would ask her what was the meaning behind the kiss. And Tiffany was not ready to tell her bestest best friend.

Because I’m in love with you! She said in her mind, answering her own question.

I have always been in love with you! Her face turned red from the thought.

During the bus ride home she had the time to figure out the reason she had kissed her blonde best friend, and although she kept denying it and tried her best to come up with a different reason, in the end she could not say otherwise.

Now I know why I always want to be close to her…

Now I know why I feel nervous and restless whenever she’s around…

Now I know why my chest hurts so much whenever she gets too close…

Now I know why I like her lips so much…

Her lips…

Those pink lips…

It was so soft… And warm… And soft…

“My God, Tiffany!” She slapped her own cheeks in frustration. “Stop thinking about her lips!”

Her phone had stopped ringing at the time, and she let out a sigh of relief.

“Please stop calling me…” She whispered as she closed her eyes.

 

But her phone started ringing again, and she whined as she glanced at the screen. The crescent eyed girl picked her cell phone up and stared at Jessica’s picture. Her fingers unconsciously reached out and traced the blonde’s thin jaw line, and slowly circled around her lips. Deep inside she wanted to talk to her. Deep inside she wanted to know what Jessica thought about their kiss. Deep inside she wanted the blue eyed girl to say the words she had been dying to say to her, words that seemed didn’t matter to her before, words that she never thought she would say to a girl,

“I love you, Jessie…” She whispered lovingly as she leaned her face closer to her phone.

No! Her heart shouted as she was about to kiss her bestest best friend’s picture. No! Tiffany; no!

You’re not gay! She slapped her cheeks again, a little harder this time, that she yelped in pain.

I’m not gay! And with that, her phone stopped ringing again.

 

Tiffany stared at her now screen phone and sighed. There was a piece of her that regretted for not picking up earlier.

She’s my best friend, Her mind said. She must be wondering why I didn’t pick up…

What if she gets mad at me? That thought scared her more than the haunted house at the amusement park, or Yoona’s creepy camera.

Who cares if she gets mad? Her mind was like playing angel and devil with her. She’s the reason you’re like this!

If it wasn’t for her, you would never turn gay!

What do you mean if it wasn’t for her? The angel part of her argued. She had done nothing!

Nothing? The devil scoffed. She’s been flirting with you since day one!

And what about the gifts? The sweet goodnight texts? The late night calls?

She was just… The angel voice seemed to weaken. It probably realized it was going to lose this battle. She was just being nice…

That’s a load of bull! And Tiffany was surprised to hear her mind cursed. Something she had never done before. Something she promised her late mother she would never do. You know she’s always flirting with you!

The angel didn’t say anything after that.

 

Her phone rang once again, and Tiffany glanced at it. It was a different ring, and she knew she had just gotten a text message. The black haired American girl knew it was from Jessica, and she slowly opened the text and read it,

Pick up the phone or I’ll be mad at you for the rest of my life!

And her heart suddenly sank when she read that. It was the scariest thing she had ever encountered in her life.

Let her be mad! The devil’s voice echoed in her mind. It’s easier for you if she stayed away from you!

And her phone quickly rang as the blonde girl once again called her.

Don’t pick it up! The devil continued. She’s just going to confuse you!

You’re the one who was supposed to be mad at her!

“Yes; I won’t pick it up.” Tiffany said to herself, her words were filled with determination. “I’m the one who is supposed to get mad!”

“What is it?” But unconsciously she had already pressed the green button and picked up the call, although she sounded upset. “You can be mad with me all you wa—“

—Where are you? Jessica’s voice sounded really worried.

“I’m at the dorm.” Tiffany replied unconsciously. “Look, I’m not in the mood to—“

—Why didn’t you text me when you got home? The blonde cut her words once again. I told you to text me as soon as you get home!

“You never said anything like that!” The crescent eyed girl was still trying to sound upset. “And besides—“

—What do you mean I never said anything like that? I was yelling it to you when you rode the bus! Jessica’s words were trembling, and Tiffany knew she was holding her tears. I was worried sick about you, you know…

How could you do that to your best friend?

“I’m sorry…” The crescent eyed girl gave up. She could never be angry to her, not when she was the one she loved. “I’m sorry, Jessie…”

It’s okay… The blonde whispered. At least I know you’re okay…

“Yeah, I’m fine…” She whispered back, she missed her so much right now.

 

So, Tiff… Jessica whispered slowly after a while. … About earlier…

And Tiffany knew she was talking about the kiss. And she knew their conversation would only lead to this one thing. And she cursed herself for being stupid and took the call.

“It was a mistake!” The crescent eyed girl shouted.

W-What? Jessica was startled. A-A mistake?

“Yes, it was a mistake!” Tiffany repeated herself, anxious to get out of this topic.

How… The blue eyed girl said hesitantly. How is it a mistake?

“I don’t know!” She knew the answer would only reach to one conclusion, that she was in love with her, and she was dying to keep Jessica from reaching the same conclusion. “I just know it was a mistake!”

And both girls didn’t say a word after that. And for a long time. Probably too long; for anxious Tiffany. She wanted to hang up but her fingers wouldn't move.

Oh, I see! The blonde girl suddenly said, there was a cheerful note in her voice. It was a mistake!

“Y-Yeah, it was!” The black haired American girl was surprised by the sudden change of her tone. “I’m glad you can see it now…”

Yeah, I get it! Jessica giggled. It was like kissing your mother, or your father!

“Y-Yeah, that’s it!” Tiffany pretended it was exactly what she meant. "I was just missing my mom so much, and I thought you were her!"

Yeah, yeah; like when you got sick! The blonde girl was laughing now, and Tiffany laughed along; awkwardly.

Glad we can work it out then… Jessica said after they had finished laughing.

“Yeah…” The black haired American girl sighed. “… I’m glad we can work it out…”

 

Tiffany quickly changed the topic and asked her bestest best friend about what happened after she had left Sooyoung’s house, and luckily it worked, as Jessica started to laugh again and told her everything. The blonde girl told her that Sooyoung was feeling better already after she ate her meal and drink her medicine, and the girls decided to have a small birthday party for the tall tanned girl in her room. They took out a small birthday cake they had prepared before, and sang her happy birthday. But then when Sooyoung was about to blow the candle, Seohyun took out Yoona’s digital camera to try and take their pictures, and all the girls, especially the blonde, screamed and tried to run away from the room. Well, everyone except for Krystal, who didn’t know about the ghostly camera.

And Tiffany remembered the night when they found out about the camera, and everyone was frightened at the time; screaming and shouting and running away from their table. The crescent eyed girl remembered how she was so scared that she quickly jumped out of her seat and rushed to the exit. But somehow she looked back and found Jessica tripped on her own sport bag and fell down. She remembered how she rushed back and picked the terrified blonde girl up and they both quickly ran to the exit.

Tiffany giggled when she remembered how the other guests were confused by their antics, some even ran and followed them outside, thinking that there was a bomb in the café. After the commotion ended and they apologized to the guests and employees, they sat away from their original table and bickered among themselves about who was going to take the camera.

Eventually, and quite strangely, the shy maknae Seohyun volunteered herself, saying that she was not afraid of ghosts; since she had Jesus Christ to protect her from evil spirits.

 

“Wait a minute, Jessie,” Tiffany suddenly remembered something. “Are you still scared about the camera?”

“I’m sure it was another trick Yoona and Yuri play on us…” She was sure of her theory.

What are you talking about? The blue eyed girl said. They have already said it was not them!

“Oh, Jessie…” The crescent eyed girl giggled at her cute innocent best friend. “They’re definitely lying…”

Tiff… Jessica sounded serious. They couldn’t possibly take those photos…

They were waiting for us outside the ride, remember?

“Yeah; but I bet they were lying.” The black haired American girl said confidently.

Okay, let’s say they’re lying, The blonde girl continued. The photos were taken from our front side, right?

“Yes…” She simply nodded.

So that means they had to come in from the exit to do that, Jessica explained. There’s no way the guards would let them in—

“—I’m sure they tricked the guards or asked them to cooperate with them or something…” Tiffany cut in.

Supposed that was the case, The blonde girl said again. How come we didn’t see them when they were taking our photos?

“Well it was dark at the time,” Tiffany smiled. “And we were busy getting scared by those skeleton things…”

Tiff, they were really close-up photos of us, Jessica whispered cautiously, like she was afraid someone else might hear here. Someone, or something. I mean, all we can see in those photos are our faces…

They had to be right in front of us when they took them… The blonde’s words were trembling, and Tiffany could feel a cold breeze down her neck, similar to what she felt at the café that night. … That means they had to ride the car with us...

And there’s no way we could not see them that way…

And the lights of her dorm flickered, and Tiffany screamed her lungs out. Jessica was shocked to hear her, and she quickly followed her and screamed too.

W-What? The blue eyed girl shouted. Why?

What happened?

“Stop!” Tiffany shouted. “Stop talking about that!”

Sorry! Jessica whispered. I’m sorry!

 

“Meanie…” The crescent eyed girl said as she switched places and was now lying on her stomach in her bed with her blanket covering her whole body.

I’m sorry, I’m sorry… Jessica was still whispering.

“Now I won’t be able to get some sleep!” Tiffany whined. “Why isn’t Taeyeon home yet?”

Oh, but she went home to Jeonju earlier, The blonde girl explained. She said she’d return to dorm tomorrow afternoon, after school…

Didn’t you know that?

“What?” The black haired American girl shouted. “She didn’t tell me that!”

“So I have to stay here alone all night?”

Well, if you want I can come and sleep with you there… Jessica suddenly said calmly.

“Would you?” Tiffany begged, and the image of the blue eyed girl sleeping beside her, hugging her, gave a warm sensation in her stomach.

Yeah, sure, just let me talk to my parents—

“—O-On second thought, you don’t have too…” She suddenly realized it was a bad idea. She was afraid that she couldn’t held her desire to kiss her again. “I-I’ll be alright on my own…”

Are you sure? The blonde sounded disappointed, and Tiffany noticed it, and she was so happy for a moment that Jessica wanted to have a sleepover just to accompany her.

“Y-Yeah,” The crescent eyed girl quickly said as she shook her head before she lost her resolve. “You’re already home, and it’s getting late; I don’t want you to go through all the trouble just to sleep here…”

But it’s no trouble at all, Jessica insisted. I can get my dad to take me to your dorm…

“N-No!” Tiffany panicked. “It’s okay, I’m fine now!”

Really? The blue eyed girl sounded curious.

“Yes; really.” The crescent eyed girl knew she had to end their conversation quickly before Jessica said something that would make her say yes and have her over. “L-Look, Jessie; I’m really tired and sleepy now…”

Oh, you are? Jessica asked in a cute tone, and Tiffany started to think having her over was not a bad idea after all.

“Y-Yes; I am.” She quickly said as she shook her head to get rid of Jessica’s figure in her pajamas. “I’ll see you tomorrow at school, okay?”

Why do I want to see her in her pajamas? Tiffany shook her head again.

I bet she just wears a white T-shirt with short pants anyway…

Oh, my God! Stop that! And she slapped her own head to stop the blonde’s images from appearing in her mind.

Are you really-really sure? There was that sweet cute voice of her again.

“Yes, I’m sure, Jessie!” And she felt her heartbeat rising and her face flushed. “Goodnight!”

Wait, Tiff— But she had already pressed the red button and ended their phone call.

The next thing she knew she was crying her eyes out, cursing herself for falling in love with a girl. And on top of that; her bestest best friend.

I’m sorry! I’m sorry, Jessie! She cried. I’m a monster! A monster!

 

And the next day she didn’t go to school, or training. She stayed in her bed all day, cursing herself for turning into a erted monster that was in love with her best friend. Jessica called her and asked why she was absent, but she just said she wasn’t feeling well. When the blonde girl said that she was going to visit her, she refused the offer and said that she needed to rest. The blue eyed girl insisted by saying that she wouldn’t bother her in any way, but Tiffany made up her mind and refused her; even went to the extent of saying that she needed some privacy. Jessica finally gave up, and wished her well in the end, although she could tell that the blonde girl was hurt by her words.

Taeyeon checked up on her when she got back from school, but she answered the same thing, she was just sick and she didn’t want anyone to come and visit her. The slanted eyed girl looked surprised by her foul mood, but decided to leave her be and went to practice. At night Jessica called her again, like she used to, and asked her if she was feeling any better, and the black haired American girl was happy for a moment, before she snapped back from her dreamy world and quickly ended their phone call. And again she cried, cursing herself for falling in love with her best friend.

The next day Tiffany had reached the front door, already in her school uniform, but Jessica’s concerned face appeared in her thoughts and she suddenly lost her strength and went back to her room, crying. And yesterday repeated itself, with Jessica worried and wanted to check up on her, but once again she turned down the offer, quite harshly this time, saying that she needed some space and Jessica was getting too clingy to her. She could hear the blue eyed girl let out a whine and cried, but she took a deep breath and quickly ended the call. She had made up her mind; she had to stay away from Jessica.

But when night came and there was no call from the blonde girl, Tiffany cried harder and felt like it was the end of the world. She decided to text her, but then she decided not to. But then she browsed through her phone and stared at Jessica’s photos, and she missed her so much that she quickly searched through her contacts and was about to call her, but then a voice in her mind stopped her. And she spent the night going back and forth; torn between wanting to see and talk with her bestest best friend, and wanting to stay away from the girl she had fell in love with.

 

How did everything turn out this way? Her head ached. Why did I have to kiss her?

I’ve ruined our friendship, and nothing will ever be the same again…

I’ve ruined it all just in three seconds…

“Tiff?” Elizabeth’s voice woke her up. “Tiffany?”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, Liz…” Tiffany said weakly. “I’m okay…”

“Did Jessica made you cry?” The brunette looked upset. “Did she say something to hurt you?”

“No...” The crescent eyed girl shook her head. “No, Liz; she didn’t do anything…”

“It’s all me…”

“What…” Elizabeth looked confused now. “… What do you mean?”

“If anything, I’m the one who’s at fault…” She muttered. “… I shouldn’t have fallen in love with her…”

“But you can’t help it!” Elizabeth tried to cheer her up. “Have you at least talk to her about it?”

“And what if she doesn’t feel the same way?” The black haired girl looked upset. “What if she gets disgusted of me?”

“This isn’t like you telling Nick that you like him,” Tiffany scratched her head violently. “My feelings for her is wrong!”

“It’s disgusting!”

“C-Calm down, Tiff…” Her brunette best friend quickly said. “… It’s not disgusting…”

“You don’t know if she doesn’t feel the same way about you…”

“Well, what if she does?” Tiffany glared through the laptop’s camera. “What then?”

“If anyone finds out about us; it would be the end of us!”

“It would be the end of our dreams; our school, our trainings, our future!”

"And what about her parents? Our friends? My dad?"

“Tiff…” Elizabeth knew what her Korean best friend was saying was true. The society could be strict and unforgiving; especially there in the east side of the world. She had known from the news and magazines how harsh gay people were treated. Even public figures could not escape their punishment.

“No, Liz.” Tiffany seemed to have made up her mind. “I’m not gay.”

“And I don’t love her.”

“I don’t.”

“Okay, Tiff,” The brunette knew that once her best friend made up her mind; nothing could stop her. “I’m with you no matter what.”

“What do you want to do next?”

“I’ve been thinking about this these past two days,” She said with determination. “I need to stay away from her.”

“I need to stay away so this ugly feeling would disappear.”

“Y-You’re not planning to run away, are you?” Elizabeth feared her best friend would abandon her dream and went back home.

“No…” Tiffany smiled as she shook her head. “I can’t…”

“I can’t just give up on my dream and go home…”

“Thank God…” The brunette let out a sigh of relief.

“But I can give up these feelings for her.” She said as she took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

“Then what can I do to help?” Elizabeth asked.

Tiffany opened her eyes and smiled. She stared at her best friends thousands of miles away with a sad look that even the devil himself would shed a tear for her. “Help me get over her, Liz…”

“Help me forget about her…”