CHAPTER XIX SECOND GIFTS

If Only..

CHAPTER XIX

SECOND GIFTS

 

Tiffany rushed to the bus station. This morning she woke up a little bit late, and Ri-in who usually woke her up in the morning was already gone. The crescent eyed girl caught the bus just in time, and she quickly sat down at the nearest empty seat, trying to catch her breath from all the running. She was upset with herself because she got used to waking up later in the morning; a habit she got from the winter break.

It was already January now, and she was back in Seoul to resume her study and training. The bus started to move, and Tiffany was lost in her mind; remembering how she had spent her New Year’s Eve a few days ago.

Taeyeon and her whole family had decided to take the black haired American girl to the town’s festival to celebrate New Year. Although the Koreans had their own lunar calendar, the Seollal; but they also celebrate New Year’s Eve on the 31st December like most countries. Taeyeon said that the Seollal was more traditional in nature, while this New Year was the more modern way.

 

The festival that night was more like a night market, filled with vendors selling snacks or foods, and game booths. Some vendors sold firecrackers and local souvenirs. They decorated their booths with light bulbs and lanterns and colorful posters to match the mood. The Kims and the crescent eyed girl walked around and decided to try all the games and snacks the festival had to offer.

Overall it was an enjoyable night for Tiffany, but somehow she was not feeling too excited. Somehow she found herself thinking of a certain blonde, and how she was spending her New Year’s eve. She had texted her blonde best friend a couple of times, but after fifteen minutes there was still no reply from her. Tiffany sighed as she kept glancing at her phone, waiting for her message to come. Jessica had told the crescent eyed girl that she would be spending the New Year’s eve with her family at a fancy restaurant/resort in downtown Seoul, and she had told her that it would probably be boring. But somehow she was afraid that Jessica was having fun in Seoul that she completely forgot about her crescent eyed best friend in Jeonju. Or even worse, maybe Jessica had met with Donghae oppa and they decided to celebrate New Year together.

That thought made Tiffany angry. She felt her blood boiled and she quickly walked away, leaving the Kims at some snack stall and pressed the blonde’s number and called her. Three tones and Jessica still hadn’t picked up. What are you doing, Jessie? She sighed.

Four waiting tones and still no answer. Pick up, Jessie! She was about to cry.

Five waiting tones and Tiffany was starting to lose hope. Please, Jessie…

Hey, Tiff… A cheerful soothing voice of hers greeted her.

“What were you doing?” Tiffany tried to fight her tears.

Oh, I was having dinner with my parents. Jessica said calmly. I thought I already told you that.

“Why didn’t you reply to my texts?” She was now upset.

I was having dinner, Los Angeles… The blonde giggled. It’s rude to use your phone when you’re dining, you know…

“Ugh! You could at least send me a message!” The black haired American stomped the ground.

Aww, I’m sorry, Tiff. Jessica was laughing now. Next time I’ll make sure to always text you no matter what.

“Don’t you dare tease me, San Francisco!” Tiffany pouted. “I was worried, you know!”

I’m not… I’m not; really. Her voice was so gentle. I’m sorry.

And Tiffany ran out of words to say. Soon she realized that she was acting silly; why was she so nervous and upset when the blonde didn’t text her back? Why did she felt she needed to call her to make sure she was not having fun with someone else that night? Look who’s needy now, Tiffany… A voice in her mind echoed.

 

Tiff? Jessica asked her after a while. I’m sorry, okay?

“Okay…” The crescent eyed girl knew she couldn’t be mad at her. “It’s alright…”

So how’s the festival going?

“Oh, it’s not bad…” Tiffany started to walk around some more. “… It’s quite fun…”

You don’t sound too excited… Jessica noticed her tone was missing some sparks.

“Yeah…” The black haired American looked around a gaming booth.

“So what are you doing now?” She asked whatever was on her mind at that moment. “Did you meet with someone you know?”

No… The blonde sounded puzzled. I didn’t meet with anybody…

Why do you ask?

“O-Oh, never mind…” Tiffany blushed when she realized that she was asking a silly question. “I was just… Curious…”

She could hear the blue eyed girl giggled once more. Don’t worry, dear. I’m not going to meet with anybody; I’m just going to relax with my family…

“O-Okay…” Tiffany was even redder now. “I-I was just asking…”

I know, Tiff…

And they didn’t say anything else for a while.

So, um… I have to go now; my dad’s calling me…

“Oh, okay…” The crescent eyed girl was a bit sad.

Aw, don’t cry, Los Angeles. Jessica laughed. I’ll call you at midnight, okay?

“Okay…”

“H-Hey! I’m not crying!” She finally realized that the blonde was teasing her yet again.

Okay, okay… She was still laughing.

“I swear I’m not crying!” The black haired American girl blushed once again.

Right, of course...

“You better call me before midnight, Jessie; or I’m going to get really mad!” She said before hanging up.

 

And so the crescent eyed girl spent the night waiting not for the New Year to come, but for her best friend to call her. Tiffany found herself standing in between the Kims, and they decided to find a perfect place to watch the fireworks scheduled to show at midnight. They sat together near the riverbank, with snacks and toys they had won from the gaming booths.

And so before the clock reached midnight, Jessica called her. They counted the seconds to a new year together; each second representing their hopes and dreams. Tiffany took a deep breath and prayed as she counted;

“Ten…” I wish I can get better at Hangul; fast…

“Nine…” I wish I can get into the top five next year…

“Eight…” I wish I can get better at singing…

“Seven…” I wish I can get better at dancing…             

“Six…” I wish I can be friends with Taeyeon, Sooyoung, Seohyun and the others for a long time…

 “Five…” I wish the girls and I can debut together…

“Four…” I wish my dad and I can make up somehow…

“Three…” I wish I can stay best friends with Jessica forever…

“Two…” I wish she was here with me tonight…

“One…” I want to be closer to her… Much, much closer…

“Happy New Year!” They shouted together, and the fireworks started.

 

“Happy New Year, Jessie!” The crescent eyed girl yelled to the phone, but her voice was obscured by all the shouting and cheering around her.

Happy New Year, Tiff! Somehow she could hear the blonde’s voice amidst all the other deafening noises. She cheered as the sky was filled with the colorful and magical fireworks, and somehow she could hear Jessica was saying something to her, I lo… You…

“What was that, Jessie?” She yelled through her phone again while covering her other ear with her hand. “I couldn’t hear you!”

I said I miss you, Tiff! Jessica was yelling too.

“I miss you too, Jessie!” Tiffany yelled.

What’s that?

“I said I miss you so much, Jessie!” She yelled with all her voice and heart.

And the Kims pulled her in for a group hug. They cheered and laughed together, and then continued watching the fireworks.

 

I have to get going now, Tiff… Jessica said after it had gotten much quieter.

“Yeah, okay…” The crescent eyed girl didn’t want to end their call, but she knew they could not possibly keep on talking until morning came. “Call me tomorrow, okay?”

“I mean, later; tonight.” She realized that it was already tomorrow.

Yes, I’ll call you tonight--

“--Or I’ll call you later today!” Tiffany quickly said.

Okay. Just call me anytime you want. Jessica was giggling.

“Okay,” The black haired American girl smiled her sweetest. “Bye, Jessie…”

Bye, Tiff…

And a text came as soon as she hung up; Happy New Year, Los Angeles. I miss you :)

The crescent eyed girl smiled and quickly replied; Happy New Year, San Francisco. I miss you more. :)

 

The bus stopped as it had reached its destination. Tiffany’s wandering mind returned to reality, and she quickly picked up her sports bag and jumped down from the bus. She rushed towards her classroom with a light heart; as she was about to see her best friend again.

The black haired American girl peeked into the classroom and found the blonde was sitting in her seat, talking with Chloe and Lily. Tiffany pranced towards the group and greeted them with her infamous eye smile;

“Hello, girls!” She smiled her sweetest. “Happy New Year!”

“Happy New Year!” The three of them answered happily.

“So how’s Jeonju, Tiff?” Lily called her that since they were now pretty close with each other.

“Oh, it was lots of fun!” The crescent eyed girl said cheerfully.

“Oh, but I’m sorry I didn’t get you guys anything…” She said apologetically.

“It’s fine, Tiff.” Chloe smiled. “We didn’t expect you to.”

“Yeah; we can just buy souvenirs ourselves when we go there next time.” Lily patted Tiffany’s shoulder.

“You’re planning to go to Jeonju?” The crescent eyed girl asked.

“Why not?” The Texan girl looked excited. “We can all go together next time!”

“Great idea!” Lily looked excited too. “We can go this year’s winter break!”

“Let’s start planning!” She added as she quickly pulled her notebook out from her bag.

“You want to start planning now? Tiffany stared at her friend in amazement.

“Well; the sooner the better, don’t you think?” Lily giggled and scribbled down some notes.

“Don’t mind her,” Chloe laughed and joined her Thai friend. “She just loves to plan…”

 

“So, um…” Tiffany made sure Chloe and Lily was busy with their planning before she reached out to Jessica.

“I got this for you…” She whispered as she gave the blonde a nicely wrapped white knitted scarf.

“Oh!” Jessica looked very pleased. “Is this my Christmas gift?”

“Thank you…” The blue eyed girl smiled her sweetest.

“Do you like the color?” Tiffany asked as her best friend was busy adoring her new scarf.

“I do.” The blue eyed girl smiled again and bumped her glasses. “It's my favorite.”

“I figured you love white.” The crescent eyed girl said as she rested her chin on her hand.

“Oh, really?” Jessica giggled. “And how did you come to know that?”

“Observation.” She proudly said. “You chose a white cell phone, and you almost always wear white clothes…”

“My, my…” The blonde was still giggling. “… What a very keen observation, Sherlock.”

“No; you’re still Sherlock.” Tiffany sighed. “It took me a while to figure out that your favorite color is white.”

“While you could figure mine out from the start.”

“Well, I guess that makes you my Watson then…” Jessica smiled.

“Yes.” She smiled too. “I guess I’ll be Watson.”

“Then who should I be?” Unknowingly to the two Chloe had turned around and watched them for quite some time now; eager to be involved in their conversation.

“You’re just Chloe.” The blonde said as she carefully hid her scarf on her lap.

“A damsel in distress.” The black haired American added.

“Shucks…” The Texan shook her head and turned around once more, and her fellow American friends laughed. “… That means I’m a nobody…”

 

Park Eunyoung entered the classroom to start her lesson. The students sat at their respective seats and stopped chatting. The long wavy haired teacher then took attendance and greeted them a happy new year, before turning to her book and started today’s material.

I feel like we’ve not seen each other for a year :) A piece of paper was thrown to Jessica.

She glanced at her best friend who threw the paper and smiled, before writing her reply and threw the paper back to the crescent eyed girl, Well technically, you’re right; this is a new year after all. :)

Tiffany giggled when she read the note, and happily wrote her reply, Did you like my gift?

I already said I love it, Tiff. Thank you. The blue eyed girl threw the paper back.

The black haired American girl was writing her reply when their brunette teacher stood between their desks and hit their heads with her book.

“Ouch!” Tiffany was more surprised than hurt, and she quickly hid the scrap of paper in her hand.

The students started giggling at the two, while Jessica was holding her head and stared at her teacher with a sorry look.

“Stop passing papers you two,” Eunyoung sighed. “Did you miss each other that much that you couldn’t wait until lunch to talk?”

And both girls blushed, while their classmates laughed at them.

 

It was lunch and the four girls were enjoying their lunch when Richard and his boys decided to talk with them. Chloe and Lily were already glaring at the awkward boys.

“What do you want?” Lily hissed.

“Relax, Lily.” Richard raised both of his arms like he was surrendering. “We’re here to apologize.”

“Oh, really? The ginger haired girl didn’t believe him.

“It’s the truth.” Dean said. “We’re really sorry.”

“Look,” The Chinese boy looked apologetic. “I know we’ve been acting like jerks the whole time…”

“… And we wanted to say that we’re sorry.”

Jessica stared at him nonchalantly. “What changed your minds?”

“Well, uh…” Alex the blonde scratched his head. “… We only wanted to be friends with you girls…”

“… We didn’t mean to tease you guys, but--”

“—But you did.” The Texan girl stopped him. “And tease is not the correct word.”

“What you guys did was harassment.”

The three boys looked surprised and scared. “You’re lucky we didn’t report you to the teachers.”

“Yeah…” Richard stared at his feet. “… I guess we owe you our thanks too…”

“Yeah.” Lily looked annoyed. “Go figure.”

“So, uh…” Richard exchanged glances with his friends.

And then the three of them bowed to the girls, “We’re very sorry!”

“And thank you for not reporting us!”

The girls were surprised by their behavior, since they did not expect that Richard and his friends would apologize to them in a place with lots of audience, as they thought it would ruin their bad-boy image.

“And we’re wondering if we could start over!” Richard still hung his head low.

“Very well then.” Tiffany smiled. “Apology accepted.”

“What?” Chloe and Lily said at the same time. “That easy?”

“Well, it seems that they’re really sorry for being such jerks to us.” The crescent eyed girl explained her thoughts. “And as long as they stop acting like that then I guess we can be friends…”

“What do you think, Jessie?” She turned to her best friend.

 

But Jessica was lost in her own mind. She remembered clearly how these three boys would hurt Tiffany so bad that the crescent eyed girl would then shut her heart and swore to trust no one. She could still remember how devastated she felt when she knew what had happened to Tiffany. But it all happened in a different time, and a different life.

The blonde girl pondered whether the boys were telling the truth this time and were really seeking for their forgiveness or were just planning something to get back at them. So many details were different from that time, and the blue eyed girl knew some people were not the same person she had met in her old life.

But somehow she felt something was off as she could not find it in her heart to trust these boys.

“Jessie?” Tiffany asked again.

“Hmm?” Jessica turned to face the crescent eyed girl. “Oh…”

“I guess if you’re willing to forgive them, then I’ll forgive them too.” The blonde said as she pushed her side frame, deciding that it was best to just go along for now.

She made a promise to herself that very moment; to always protect Tiffany and be at her side. It was something that she could not do in her past life, and she paid dearly for that mistake.

And she clenched her fist and stared at the boys, This time I’ll be ready. This time I’ll be there to stop whatever it is you’re planning.

“See?” Tiffany’s voice woke Jessica from her thoughts. “Jessie agreed too.”

“Okay…” Lily sighed. “… I guess we can forgive you then.”

“But I’m warning you; the minute you act like jerks again, I’ll report you!” Chloe said firmly.

“O-Okay, thanks.” Richard finally lifted his head, and his friends followed him.

“We promise we’ll never act like that again.” Dean smiled.

“Friends?” The Chinese boy looked hopeful and offered his hand.

“Friends.” The Texan girl hesitantly shook his hand.

The boys then went their own way and left the girls to continue their lunch. Chloe and Lily praised Tiffany for her kindness, and Jessica just stared at her with her sweet little smile like always.

 

The school bell rang and the students started to head for their classrooms. Chloe and Lily walked lazily towards their class, dragging their heels, while Jessica and Tiffany followed closely behind them with their hands joined. The girls were standing outside their class when the blonde girl suddenly said, “Oh, I forgot my wallet.”

“Really?” Chloe looked worried. “Where did you left it; the cafeteria?”

“Yeah, I think so…” Jessica said calmly.

“What are you waiting for then?” Lily scolded. “Hurry back and get it before it’s gone!”

“Oh, yeah.” The blue eyed girl quickly grabbed Tiffany’s hand and ran away. “Come with me, Tiff!”

“O-Okay…” The crescent eyed girl said as she tried to keep up with Jessica.

“Hurry back, you guys!” Chloe shouted at their backs. “Class is going to start soon!”

 

“I thought we were going to the cafeteria?” Tiffany asked when she noticed that they were going the opposite direction.

“Just follow me, Los Angeles.” The blonde giggled.

The crescent eyed girl nodded and stared at their joined hands. She had missed these feelings of comfort and excitement; different from the times she held hands with Elizabeth or Taeyeon. And she started to wonder why she always felt happy and excited around the presence of the blue eyed girl, why every time she was near her she felt needy and acted like a spoiled little girl. And there was always this sense of longing in her chest and made her feel like there was something about to bursts out from her chest when they got too near to each other.

The crescent eyed girl wanted to find the answers to those questions from the very beginning, but somehow she would always cast them aside like she was afraid to find the real reason answer.

Tiffany’s wandering mind was suddenly brought back when Jessica stopped in her track and turned around to face her.

“What are we doing here?” She asked when she noticed that they were once again standing in one corner of the empty green PE field.

“You promised me a ten minute hug, Tiff.” Jessica took out her cell phone.

“W-What?” The crescent eyed girl was reminded of her promise. “I-I thought you were just kidd—“

“—Are you saying that you didn’t mean it?” The blonde looked upset now and leaned closer to her best friend without breaking their eye contact.

“I…” Tiffany flushed at their proximity. “… I meant it…”

“You don’t look like you meant it.” Jessica was still looking upset.

“I really mean it, Jessie.” She tried to calm her upset friend, realizing that she had just misspoken.

“I swear; I really mean it.” Tiffany was staring at her feet now, afraid to look at her best friend in the eye.

And somehow she knew that Jessica was waiting for her to keep her promise.

 

“Well?” The blonde said as she played with her phone. “I’m waiting.”

“W-Waiting?” The crescent eyed girl knew what she meant. “I-I…”

And Jessica stared at her with hoping eyes, like a cat expecting to be petted. Tiffany felt her chest tightened and quickly pulled her into her arms.

“Oh, come here, you...” And Jessica giggled as she pressed some buttons on her phone.

“What are you doing?” The black haired American girl asked.

“I’m starting a timer…”

“You what?” Tiffany was confused. “What do you need a timer for?”

“So you can keep your promise and hold me for exactly ten minutes.” The blonde giggled, and Tiffany followed.

“Are you saying that you’re worried I might cheat and break away before ten minutes?”

“Oh, I’m not worried about that.” The crescent eyed girl could feel her breath on her neck. “I just want to make sure.”

“That’s the same thing, Jessie.” And both girls laughed.

 

After a minute or so Tiffany realized that she had been the only one who was doing the hug, as the blonde girl in her arms had her hands on the side of her body.

“Aren’t you going to hug me back?” The crescent eyed girl whispered.

“Okay,” Jessica smiled and put her arms around her best friend. “If you really want me to…”

“Tease!” Tiffany let out a sigh and tightened her hug.

She had one arm around the blonde’s waist and the other on her back, while Jessica arms were on her waist.

Tiffany could smell her sweet melon perfume she always wear, and instinctively buried her nose against the blue eyed girl’s neck to savor more of the aroma, while her arms squeezed Jessica’s body even tighter, like she wanted their bodies to become one.

“I can feel your heartbeat…” The blonde said with a heavy sigh, like she was out of breath.

“W-What are you talking about?” Tiffany’s face was burning and she tried to pull away.

Jessica quickly tightened her arms around the black haired girl, preventing her from escaping.

“If you let go I’ll restart the timer and you have to start all over again.” She said calmly.

“Then stop saying embarrassing things!” Tiffany said as she held her tight once more.

“What embarrassing things?” The blue eyed girl giggled.

“A-Am I holding you too tight?” The crescent eyed girl tried to change the subject.

“It’s perfect, Tiff…” She knew Jessica was smiling her sweetest.

“Okay…” Tiffany whispered lovingly.

 

After a few minutes her heartbeat had almost returned to normal. She was really lost in the moment now, enjoying the blonde’s warmth. The crescent eyed girl had never felt so comfortable and so peaceful like she was feeling right now, and her body felt so light that she thought she was flying. And there was the familiar feeling like something was about to bursts out from her chest again, like her heart was saying that she needed to say something to Jessica at this very moment; but she didn’t know what.

“I missed you, Jessie…” She said instead.

“I missed you too, Tiff…” The blonde whispered lovingly to her ears.

“No. I mean I really missed you…” And tears were starting to drop from her eyes.

“Why are you crying?” Jessica said as she noticed that her best friend was sobbing and her body was shaking.

“I…” And the crescent eyed girl herself didn’t have the answer to that question. “I…”

“Do you hate hugging me so much that you cry?” Tiffany knew she was pouting.

“No!” She tightened her hug even more. “No! It’s not that!”

“Then why are you crying?” Jessica insisted.

“I… Don’t know…” The black haired girl was confused with herself. “I… I guess I’m just happy…”

“Silly Tiffany…” The blonde giggled as she buried her face against her best friend’s neck. “… Such a cry baby…”

You made me like this! She thought, but she didn’t want to say it.

 

And Jessica her hair gently and sang her a lullaby; the same song she sang when she was nursing the crescent eyed girl back then. Tiffany closed her eyes and took a deep breath, savoring the moment. She then rubbed the blonde’s back tenderly and gripped her waist even tighter.

Jessica was a little surprised by her grip, and let out a soft moan in Tiffany’s ear. She quickly covered it by humming the lyrics of the song she was singing, and started to rock their bodies gently.

Tiffany though, caught the moan and felt her ears burning. She tried to hide her red face by rocking along her best friend and held her breath for a while.

Jessica’s phone rang after a while, telling them that their ten minutes of bliss were up, but both girls did not want to let go.

“Time’s up, Jessie…” Tiffany said, but she did not move an inch.

“Time’s up, Tiff…” Jessica copied her but she tightened her hug instead.

And they stayed in their position for another two minutes before the crescent eyed girl decided to slowly pull away. The blue eyed girl looked disappointed by that action, but quickly smiled when their eyes met for the first time in twelve minutes.

“Thank you.” The blonde said in a cute manner.

“You’re welcome.” Tiffany matched her tone.

“So I guess we’re skipping a class again, huh?” The crescent eyed girl giggled.

“I guess so…” Jessica looked around to find a comfortable place to sit on.

“Let’s sit over there.” She said as she pointed to a nearby green bench.

 

“So how was your holiday with Taeyeon?” The blonde asked her after they sat down next to each other.

“Oh, it was very nice like I told you,” Tiffany said. “I felt a little awkward at first, but they were such a great host and all…”

“Taeyeon was very nice…” She recalled her winter break. “… She’s a good friend.”

“I feel like I didn’t thank her enough…”

“Oh, I see…” Jessica stared at the distance.

“Yeah, I think we’ve become best friends over the holiday.” The crescent eyed girl giggled.

“Glad you already found a replacement for me…” The blonde looked sad.

“What are you talking about?” The black haired girl was surprised by her comment. “She’s not a replacement for anybody!”

Jessica didn’t say anything after that, and Tiffany smiled as she knew the blonde was just jealous.

“Look, she’s my best friend, okay?” She said gently. “But you’re my bestest best friend.”

“What is that?” Jessica finally gave in and laughed. “Bestest best friend…”

“Like a super best friend, maybe?” The crescent eyed girl put her finger on her chin and tried to act cute.

And the blue eyed girl laughed at her comment. “There’s no such thing as that.”

“Oh, so you don’t believe me, Jessie?”

“Maybe…” She showed Tiffany her cute little smile that looked like a smirk; but a cute and coyly one.

“Then I’ll prove it to you.” Tiffany kneeled down in front of her and took something out from her side pocket.

“What are you doing?” Jessica was a little surprise by the gesture, and thought she was going to propose her.

“Stay still.” The crescent eyed girl said as she lowered the blonde’s sock and attached the silver anklet to her left foot.

“There!” She said as she sat back on the bench. “It looks perfect on you.”

“You were supposed to give this to your boyfriend, silly…” Jessica stared at her foot and smiled.

“I don’t know…” The black haired girl flashed her eye smile. “Didn’t you say the seller told you to give the other pair to a special person?”

“I think it doesn’t have to be a boyfriend.” She continued. “So I’m giving it to you; my bestest best friend.”

“Thank you…” The blonde flushed and kept her gaze at the anklet.    

“You’re welcome.” Tiffany really enjoyed staring at her red face. “So do you believe me now?”

“I do…” Jessica whispered.

 

“Are you wearing yours?” The blonde whispered again as she wiggled around her foot, admiring the beautiful anklet.

“Of course I’m wearing it.” The crescent eyed girl giggled and she wiggled her left foot near the blonde’s. “It’s a gift from a very special person.”

“Oh, stop it you tease…” Jessica said as her face turned bright red.

“Now you know how I feel every time you tease me!” Tiffany giggled.

Every time?” The blue eyed girl turned to face her.

The black haired girl stuck her tongue out and reached for her pocket once more. “Here; this is my real Christmas gift for you.”

Jessica stared at her bestest best friend with a puzzled look on her face, while Tiffany took her right hand and wrapped a knitted friendship bracelet around it. “But you already gave me a scarf…”

“I did.” The crescent eyed girl carefully tied the bracelet. “But I decided to give you something a little bit more special.”

“So I made this myself to show you how special you are to me.” She smiled as she lifted Jessica’s hand to show her the bracelet.

“You made this?” The blonde stared at the pink stripped white friendship bracelet with a small bell on it. “Wow…”

“Do you like it?” The black haired girl stared at her with her eyes filled with expectation.

“Like it?” Jessica played with her new bracelet and giggled at the sound it made. “I love it, Tiff!”

“Thank you!” The blonde squealed and hugged the crescent eyed girl. “It’s beautiful!”

“You’re welcome!” Tiffany let out a sigh of relief and smiled her sweetest, knowing that her effort didn’t go to waste.

 

“But, um…” Jessica suddenly turned sad. “I… Need to tell you something…”

“What is it, Jessie?” Tiffany held her breath, afraid that she was going to say something that would ruin their happy moments. “Are you okay?”

“I don’t know how to say this…” The blonde was staring at her hands on her lap.

“I don’t want you to get mad at me…”

The crescent eyed girl stared at her best friend for a while, not knowing what to say, as her mind was filled with so many unhappy thoughts that made her felt like her insides were being twisted.

She took a deep breath and reached out to hold the blonde’s hand. “It’s okay, Jessie…”

“… You can tell me anything…”

“I…” Jessica looked scared. “I…”

“It’s okay, Jessie…” She tried to comfort her. “Tell me…”

“You promise you won’t get mad?” The blonde looked conflicted.

“I promise.” She nodded without even a slight of hesitation.

The blonde looked around and took a deep breath, before signaling her best friend to come closer so she could whisper the words. Tiffany was actually scared too; she was scared that she would not like what she was about to hear, but she braved herself and leaned closer, closing her eyes and hoped for the best.

 

Tiffany felt a sudden peck on her cheek and she quickly opened her eyes and stared at the blonde girl beside her, who was laughing now. Jessica had just kissed her.

“You…” She said as she covered her red cheek with her hand. “You… I thought you were going to say something serious!”

“Ugh! You’re such a tease!” And she turned around to pretend that she was upset, but she could not hide her smile that was getting wider and wider.

“Aww, don’t get mad, Tiff…” The blonde was still laughing as she threw her arms around Tiffany’s shoulder. “You promised you wouldn’t get mad.”

“Ugh, get off me, you flirt…” The black haired girl pretended to struggle for a moment, but then she grabbed Jessica’s arms and pulled her closer.

“Don’t get mad, Tiff…” Jessica said again. “… It was my second gift…”

“What are you talking about?” Tiffany whispered as she breathed in more of that sweet melon fragrance.

“You gave me two gifts, so I have to give you another one…” The blue eyed girl said as she buried her nose against Tiffany’s neck.

The two of them didn’t say anything after that, and neither of them wanted to move their bodies. But then Jessica decided to spoil the moment and whispered to her ear,

“Do you like it?”

“W-What?” Tiffany squealed and quickly pulled away as she covered her ear.

“I said do you like my second gift?” The blonde laughed again.

“Oh, you…” The crescent eyed girl’s face was beet red. “Stop laughing, you flirt!”

And Tiffany quickly lunged at the laughing girl and tickled her mercilessly. Jessica was surprised by the sudden attack that she didn’t have a chance to react. She wiggled around to try and escape the black haired girl ruthless attacks, but Tiffany persisted and Jessica was too weak from all the laughing to get away.

After a couple of minutes of Jessica squealing, giggling and laughing the crescent eyed girl was satisfied and stopped her torture, leaving the blonde out of breath and laid on her back on the bench.

“Ask me again, Jessie.” Tiffany stared at her with her hands ready. “I dare you to ask me that again.”

“I-I’m sorry…” The blonde was trying to catch her breath. “I’m… sorry…”

And the crescent eyed girl sat back next to her, with a satisfied smile. Jessica sat up and leaned her head against Tiffany’s shoulder, and they stayed in that position for a while.

“So when did you learn how to make this?” Jessica asked while she played with her bracelet.

“When I was in Jeonju,” Tiffany decided to share the story. “I found this shop near Taeyeon’s house…”

 

It was the day the crescent eyed girl had called Jessica in front of the internet café. She was sitting outside on the bench, wiping her tears with her eyes. She stared at her phone’s wallpaper and a smile finally could be seen on her face. Tiffany felt sorry for bursting out on Jessica earlier. She then looked down to her new anklet on her left foot, admiring its beauty.

The black haired American girl then remembered that she already chose a Christmas present for Jessica, but somehow she felt it wouldn’t be enough to show her appreciation towards the blue eyed girl; especially not after she knew what the blonde’s gift was. Tiffany stood up and entered the internet café once more, and went to Taeyeon’s booth. The shorter girl was busy clicking her mouse and mashing the buttons on her keyboard. Tiffany stared in amazement at the slanted eyed girl for a while, before she told her that she was going to the shop near her house to look around the souvenirs once more. Taeyeon nodded and made an OK sign with her hand and turned to her computer screen again.

The crescent eyed girl then went to the shop for the second time. She looked around the shop, trying to find at least a unique gift to give to her blonde friend. But after looking for some time, she couldn’t find a present she thought worthy for Jessica. She found some jewelry that were pretty and perfect, but when she glanced at the price she realized she would not be able to afford any of them without getting a job first.

Tiffany sighed and stared at some friendship bracelets; looking sad. At that moment the owner of the shop noticed the look on her face and asked her what was wrong. The crescent eyed girl stared at the old lady in her sixties with her kind smile and somehow she felt comfortable in telling her what her problem was. The old woman listened to her story and gave her another kind smile when Tiffany told her about wanting to give a special friend a special gift she deserved.

The old lady took out a friendship bracelet and gave it to her, saying that it would be the best gift. The black haired American girl politely shook her head and said that it was not special enough, but the owner laughed and said that handmade gifts would always be a perfect and special present, and that she would teach her how to make the bracelet. Tiffany thought about it for a while, before she remembered how Seohyun was very happy when she received a handmade doll from Yoona back then. She flashed her eye smile and quickly agreed.

 

“And I spent the next few days making this…” Tiffany ended her story.

“Ah, I see…” Jessica nodded and stared at the bracelet. “So you got the idea from seeing Yoona…”

“Is that a bad thing?” The crescent eyed girl looked offended. “I mean I know it’s not an original idea—“

“—It’s not a bad thing, silly.” The blonde quickly said as she lifted her head from Tiffany’s shoulder and smiled her sweetest. “It’s the best idea ever.”

“I really love the gift, Tiff.”

And they stared at each other’s eyes; both looking like they wanted to say something. Tiffany wanted to say or do something to show how much she cared for the blonde, but she didn’t know what and how to. All she knew there was a strong sense of longing in her heart every time she was near her blonde best friend. While Jessica already knew what she wanted to do; she had always known what her heart desire the most, but decided to wait until the crescent eyed girl fully understand what she wants.

And Jessica’s phone rang when they were about to lean to each other. Both of them reluctantly broke their eye contact and the blonde turned to her cell phone; Chloe was calling her.

“What is it, Chloe?” The blue eyed girl answered the call.

Where are you guys? Did you find your wallet? Why didn’t you go to class? The Texan sounded concerned.

“Oh! Oh, yeah; we found it but we were already too late to come to class…” Jessica felt sorry she had to lie to her friend.

Okay, so are you coming to our next class? There was a hint of curiosity in her voice.

“Oh, yeah…” Jessica sighed. “… Yeah; we’re coming….”

The blonde hung up and turned to her best friend. Tiffany was staring at her all the time and smiled. Jessica stood and took her hand and guided her to their classroom.

“Fun’s over, I guess…” She said playfully.

“Yeah…” Her black haired friend nodded and leaned closer.

I wish we could stay longer… Tiffany thought to herself.

 

“You still owe me vanilla ice cream…” Jessica said as she glanced at her bestest best friend.

“And you still owe me a massage, Jessie.” The crescent eyed girl giggled.

“Well then; I’ll give you a massage when you buy me that ice cream.” The blonde said cheerfully.

“Promise?” The black haired American girl stared at her.

“Promise.” And they both tightened their grip on each other’s hands.