CHAPTER XVII BEST FRIENDS

If Only..

CHAPTER XVII

BEST FRIENDS

 

“So…” Taeyeon asked Tiffany when they were lying in their beds in her bedroom, ready to go to sleep after a beautiful and joyful Christmas day. “… Um…”

“… I noticed that you’re very close with Jessica…”

“Hmm?” The crescent eyed girl was surprised by the sudden comment and felt her face was getting warmer. “W-What about it?”

“I-It’s nothing…” The slanted eyed girl looked shy.

“Okay…” Tiffany was somehow relieved to hear that.

“I-I was just wondering how you managed get so close with her in a short time…” She noticed how timid Taeyeon’s voice was when she said that.

“W-Why?” The black haired American girl was curious to find out what she meant by that.

“W-Well…” Taeyeon looked like she was thinking something hard. “I-It’s nothing…”

“I’m sorry…”

“O-Okay…” Somehow the crescent eyed girl felt like she didn’t really want to know the reason.

“I just thought…” The slanted eyed girl said after a while. “… I just thought that it would be nice to be friends with her…”

“Oh, but aren’t you friends already?” Tiffany was slightly confused.

“B-But not like you two…” There was a hint of jealousy in her tone. “Y-You’re her best friend, right?”

“Yes, yes I am.” The crescent eyed girl was proud by the fact.

“Well, I… I also want to have a best friend…” Taeyeon continued.

“Well, why didn’t you say so?” Tiffany laughed at her silly request. “I’d be more than happy to be your best friend, Taetae!”

“R-Really?”

“Of course!” She was excited now. “In fact I already considered you as my best friend when you invited me here.”

“You’re always so nice to me, Taetae!” She continued. “You helped me out when I first arrived in Korea…”

“You’re the best roommate,” Her eyes sparkled. “And you help me with my trainings…”

“And you help me with my Korean…”

“And then you were worried I’d be lonely spending winter break on my own at the dorm…”

“And I’m really thankful for all of that!” She flashed her eye smile.

“O-Oh, don’t mention it…” Taeyeon blushed. “I-I just thought it would be cool to spend Christmas with a friend…”

“Best friend.” Tiffany corrected her.

“Y-Yeah…” And the shorter girl finally smiled. “Best friend…”

“Thank you, Pany-ah…

“You’re welcome, Taetae!” And both girls laughed.

The shorter girl lied on her back and stared at her ceiling. She was so happy that she had gained a new best friend, and it was no other than the American girl who had been her roommate since a few months ago. Her mind took her back to the moment she first met with Tiffany, and how she was immediately felt comfortable around her. And she remembered how the crescent eyed girl was always cheerful and tried her best in adapting with her new home and routines, and she had always been amazed with her determination, that it encouraged her to try her best too.

Taeyeon smiled at her cheerful best friend and thought how perfect her decision was to invite Tiffany to her house for Christmas. But then somehow she was a little bit sorry since she had another reason why she wanted her American roommate to come with her and spend her holiday in Jeonju. But she was not ready to tell her the real reason; not when the reason could probably break their new friendship. Although she was not sure how her reason could cost them their now close bond, but she was not willing to test it and lose a precious friend in the process. Not when she realized how hard it was for her to make friends.

 

The slanted eyed girl slowly turned her head to her left and saw the crescent eyed girl was scribbling down on her pink diary in her futon, like she always had done every night without fail. Taeyeon noticed it was a habit Tiffany started one night after they celebrated Seohyun day. The shorter girl was curious of what she wrote on that thick diary of hers, and she leaned over to the edge of her bed.

“You know you seem to write on your diary every night…” Taeyeon said curiously.

“Hmm?” Tiffany was still busy writing. “Oh, yeah…”

“It’s a good habit you know,” The crescent eyed girl said. “Writing a diary that is…”

“What do you write about?” The slanted eyed girl asked.

“Everything,” Tiffany giggled. “I try to write down everything I experience in a day so the memory wouldn’t be lost…”

“And I can read them again when I’m much older and feeling nostalgic…”

“Oohh, aren’t you very romantic…” Taeyeon .

“I guess I am.” The black haired American girl laughed, and her slanted eyed best friend followed.

“So do you write about me?” Taeyeon asked again.

“Of course I write about you,” The crescent eyed girl smiled. “I write about everyone!”

“And what do you write about us?” The shorter girl was getting more curious.

“That’s a secret!” Tiffany laughed again. “No one can know but me!”

“Oh, now I really want to read it!” Taeyeon playfully reached for the diary.

“Kim Taeyeon, stop it!” The crescent eyed girl laughed. “Stop it or I’ll get mad!”

“Okay, okay,” The slanted eyed girl gave up and giggled. “Sorry…”

 

Taeyeon lied and stared back at her ceiling while Tiffany continued writing her diary. Her mind was pondering whether she should share what was on her mind or not.

She took a couple of deep breaths and prayed that her new best friend wouldn’t get suspicious or upset with her words.

“You know, Tiffany…” The slanted eyed girl said carefully. “I-I also want to be clo-best friend with Jessica…”

“Oh, really?” Tiffany felt a sudden prick inside her chest and stopped writing.

“Y-Yeah…” Taeyeon sounded timid once more. “D-Do you think you can help me, Pany-ah?”

“Y-Yeah, yeah, of course…” Somehow she was not too happy with that request, but she tried to hide it.

The black haired American girl could feel her new best friend was looking at her with hope, so she took a deep breath and tried to sound more convincing. “Of course, Taetae!”

“Oh! Thank you, Pany-ah!” Taeyeon sat up on her bed and smiled her sweetest to her new best friend. “You’re the best!”

“Don’t mention it!” Tiffany flashed her eye smile and laughed, although deep inside she felt another prick.

“I-Is it okay with you, though?” Taeyeon hesitantly asked again.

“W-Why wouldn’t it be?” The crescent eyed girl felt awkward. “I-It’s good that you wanted to be best friends with Jessie…”

“I’m sure she would love it too…” But somewhere in her heart she hoped it was not true.

“Yeah, I mean...” The shorter girl hesitantly said. “… Us trainees need to stick together and bond, right?”

“Y-Yeah…” Tiffany agreed, and she tried to convince her own heart to accept that too. “It will be great if we can be best friends with everyone…”

“Yeah…” Taeyeon smiled her sweetest. “It would be so cool…”

“Thank you, Pany-ah…”

 

And not long after that Taeyeon fell asleep in her bed with a huge happy grin on her face. Tiffany was still moving around restlessly, as something in her chest kept her from sleeping. She found it odd that she secretly didn’t want Taeyeon to get closer to Jessica. In fact she secretly didn’t want anyone to get closer to the blonde girl. She pictured the smiling blue eyed girl in her mind and sighed as she wondered why she wanted her to be the only best friend Jessica had.

And not long after that thought she felt that she really missed her blonde best friend. She got up from her futon and put on her pink sweater and sneaked out to the Kims’ backyard.

“So…” Tiffany smiled when her blonde best friend answered her call. “… How was your Christmas day?”

Very loud… She could hear her sigh. … The girls came over today.

“Oh, really?” The crescent eyed girl was curious. “What did they want?”

Yuri and Yoona tried to prank me again. Oh, but don’t worry; they failed big time.

“Really?” She was relieved to hear that. “What happened?”

Let’s just say I got them back for what they did to us at the amusement park. Jessica giggled.

And I got some videos as prove if you want to see.

“Oh, I would love to see them.” Tiffany giggled. “Too bad I wasn’t there to help you.”

Well, we can always get them together next time.

“Next time?” The black haired American girl asked. “Are you planning to start a prank war with them?”

Exactly! The blonde laughed. Want to join my side?

“Oh, absolutely!” And they both laughed and chat some more.

 

“So, what are you doing now?” Tiffany asked after a while.

I’m in the kitchen, drinking coffee, talking with my best friend over the phone…

“Are you alone?” The crescent eyed girl didn’t know why she asked that.

The girls are upstairs in my room watching Shrek, so; yes, I’m alone. The blonde giggled.

“Oh, they’re still there?” Somehow she was jealous; a little bit.

Yeah… They want to sleepover…

“Oh…” The crescent eyed girl stared at her cute anklet. “… I want to watch Shrek too…”

“… I want to sleepover too…”

Really? Jessica sounded excited. Next time, then. Promise me.

Tiffany giggled. “Yeah, next time. I promise.”

“So… Did your father ask you anything about me?” She tried to change the subject.

Oh… Y-yeah… He was asking why you didn’t come… The blonde sounded not too convincing. And he looked really disappointed when I told him you already had other plans…

“Liar…” The black haired girl giggled. “… Why don’t you just tell me that you were the one who wanted me to stay at your house?”

I-I don’t know what you’re talking about…

“Okay…” Tiffany knew she was right. “… If you won’t admit it then I won’t stay at your house next year…”

Next… Next year? Really? Jessica sounded very excited. You promise?

“Only if you admit it.” She giggled.

F-Fine! I was the one who wan-wanted you to stay at my house for Christmas!

There! Happy?

“Very.” She laughed and her heart was jumping in joy when she heard the blonde’s confession. “And I promise I’ll stay at your house next Christmas.”

Not just on Christmas. Jessica said. I want you to stay at my house on every holiday.

Tiffany flushed at her comment and thought, God, why is this girl so needy?

But deep down she knew she wanted nothing less than that too. “O-Okay…”

“I promise.”

Yay! The blue eyed girl shouted in glee.

 

So are you coming back for New Year ’s Eve? Jessica asked after a while.

“No, I don’t think so…” Somehow Tiffany felt a little bit sad. “… Taeyeon and her family wanted to take me to a festival that night…”

Oh… The blonde sounded sad too.

“Yeah…” The black haired girl sighed. “… I can’t just go back to Seoul on my own you know…”

Why not? The blue eyed girl asked in a cute tone.

“Jessie!” Tiffany giggled. “It would be rude!”

… Well, at least you’ll be having a good time… She said as if she was trying to comfort herself.

“Yeah… Taeyeon said the festival will be a lot of fun.”

So… Have you called your family yet? Jessica tried to change the subject.

“Um… No…” Tiffany said. “I’ve emailed Michelle and Leo, though…”

You should call them, Tiff… The blonde persuaded her. You should call ‘him’…

“I know…” The crescent eyed girl whispered. “… I guess I’ll call them tomorrow…”

Good girl.

“It’s just that…” Tiffany decided to tell Jessica about her father. “… I texted him, you know…”

“The day after I got sick…” She took a deep breath. “… And he didn’t even reply me.”

These things take time, Tiff… Just keep trying. I’m sure he’ll change his mind soon.

 

The black haired American girl knew that the blonde girl sincerely wanted to help her fix her relationship with her father. She smiled at her kindness; a different one from what the Kims showed her today at lunch, a different feel and warmth. Taeyeon and her family wanted her to overcome her feeling of loneliness, while Jessica wanted her to face the problem and try to solve it on her own.

And somehow she knew that the blonde really cared for her, and that knowledge sent warmth to her entire body. She took a deep breath and finally agreed, “Yes, you’re right, Jessie…”

“I’m going to call them tomorrow. I promise.”

Thank you.

“Hmm?” Tiffany was confused. “Why are you thanking me?”

Because you listen to me. You could’ve just said no or told me it’s none of my business; but you listened instead.

“Well then I need to thank you too.” Tiffany smiled. “For being such a good friend and trying to help me with my problems.”

You’re very welcome. And she could tell that Jessica was smiling brightly.

 

The two girls chatted for a while more before they both decided they needed to go to sleep. Once again the black haired American felt like she didn’t want to end their call. She sighed as she flipped her cell phone and closed it, and headed back to Taeyeon’s room.

As she was lying in her futon Tiffany’s mind wandered to the blonde girl. She could picture her lovely face in her mind again, and smiled as she held on to their promise that tomorrow they would call each other again. The crescent eyed girl decided to text the girl one last time for the night, Good night, Jessie. I miss you. :)

Her phone quickly rang with a reply; You already said that earlier over the phone, silly. But I don’t mind. :) Good night, Tiff. I miss you too. :)

 

The next day Tiffany decided to call her family early in the morning. She asked Taeyeon if they had internet connection in the house, but unfortunately they didn’t have one. Taeyeon then took the crescent eyed girl to the nearest internet café, claiming that she wanted to play some online games too. The black haired American girl sat in front of the computer, waiting for her call to connect.

It’s ten pm in LA, she thought to herself.

“Merry Christmas, little sister!” Michelle greeted her with her eye smile.

“Merry Christmas, old sister!” Tiffany laughed.

"Watch it." Michelle glared.

“It’s about time you call us.” Her older sister pouted. “How are you doing?”

“I’m doing fine, Elle; and I emailed you a couple of times, remember?” She giggled.

“Yeah, but I can’t see you or hear you with emails.”

“Well, I guess it’s a good thing I decided to call then.” Tiffany leaned to the screen, flashing her eye smile.

“So, how are you guys doing?” She continued.

“We’re fine, I guess.” Michelle said calmly. “I’ve been busy with college, and Leo is… Well; Leo.”

“But he’s going to school regularly now; I guess he realized he needed education anyway.”

“That’s good news.” The younger sister smiled sincerely. “And how’s dad?”

Michelle looked away from the screen for a moment, looking at a direction. “He’s been okay. Don’t worry.”

“Is he still mad at me?” Tiffany asked cautiously.

“In a way…” The older girl sighed. “… He can be so stubborn sometimes…”

“What’s he doing?”

“Oh, just watching the TV…”

“Where’s Leo?” Tiffany asked again.

“He’s out with his friends…” Michelle sighed once more. “… To think he would actually stay home on Christmas…”

Her younger sister giggled. “At least he’s trying to change, Elle…”

“Yeah…” Michelle brushed her hair. “So, um…”

“… I went to dinner with James the other night…”

“Who’s James?” Tiffany wondered, but suddenly she remembered the blonde head scouting manager. “Oh, wait; I remember…”

“Yeah.” Michelle giggled. “He seems nice, you know…”

“If you say so…” Tiffany felt awkward hearing that.

“Hey; what’s with that lazy reply?” The older girl pouted. “Don’t you like him?”

“Yeah, sure.” The younger looked uninterested. “He’s nice, alright.”

“Then you wouldn’t mind if I went out with him again?”

“Um… Sure?” Tiffany didn’t know what to say. “I guess it’s fine.”

“I knew from the start that he kinda likes you…”

“Okay, then.” Michelle smiled. “Thanks, Tiff.”

 

They then exchanged stories about their lives, although it was mostly Tiffany who was doing the talking, since she had many things to share. The younger girl shared about her busy schedule, her new school, her friends, and her new best friends. She got caught up in telling her older sister about Jessica Jung, the blonde girl who seemed to be always on her mind lately. She told her about how they met, how they instantly connected with each other, and how they became best friends.

She told her older sister about the Christmas present the blonde girl gave her, and proudly showed a pair to Michelle. She then talked about planning to give Jessica a special Christmas gift too. And her older sister noticed how Tiffany’s eyes sparkled when she was talking about the blue eyed girl.

“You seem awfully close with her.” Michelle stared with a curious face.

“Yeah, she’s so cool, you know.” Tiffany smiled. “And so nice…”

“Well, I’m glad that you’ve found yourself a new best friend.” Her older sister smiled. “Is she a better friend than Liz?”

“W-What do you mean?” Tiffany looked shocked. “Liz is my best friend too!”

“Hey, I’m only asking if you thought this Jessica is nicer than Liz; that’s all.” Michelle laughed.

“They’re different!” The younger Hwang seemed to get worked up.

“Yeah? How so?” Michelle was trying to find out about something.

“Well…” Tiffany tried to describe their differences, but she herself was not sure. “They’re just… Different?”

“Yeah, I know they’re two different persons, Tiff.” Michelle laughed. “I was asking what you found different about them.”

“Well…” Tiffany hesitated for a while. “Liz is cool and all…”

“And she’s like my best friend since forever!”

“And Jessica is… Well… Nice.”

“And very kind, and very cool, and very, very nice…” The older sister noticed she mentioned nice twice.

“Is that all?” Michelle giggled. “I didn’t notice any differences between her and Liz.”

“Well, I guess it’s hard to say,” Tiffany finally noticed it too. “I just feel so comfortable around Jessie…”

“Jessie, huh?” The older Hwang smiled.

“It’s her nickname.” The younger sister said.

“And it’s a cute nickname!” Michelle said cutely.

“Thank you!” Tiffany matched her tone.

“But Jessie is a common nickname for a Jessica.” Michelle said again.

“I know…” Tiffany looked a bit disappointed. “… Maybe I have to find another nickname for her…”

“Like a special nickname?” Her older sister teased.

“Yeah, like a special nickname!” Tiffany didn’t even notice she was being teased.

“I was just kidding, Tiff!” Michelle laughed and Tiffany looked puzzled. “You don’t have to find a new nickname for her!”

“But you said it yourself; Jessie is too common…”

“Well, yeah, but it’s fine as long as you don’t call another Jessica by that name.” Her older sister explained. “Do you know any other Jessica there?”

“I don’t.” Tiffany simply said.

“Then it’s fine!” Michelle flashed her eye smile. “When you meet another Jessica and she wants you to call her Jessie, then you can think of another nickname for this Jessie.”

“Oh, right…” The younger sister agreed.

“Maybe you can just call her honey…” Michelle muttered.

“What was that?” Fortunately for the older Hwang, Tiffany didn’t seem to hear the comment.

“Nothing…”

“So you really like her, huh?” Michelle asked again.

“Yes.” The younger quickly nodded. “I like her a lot.”

“Okay…” Michelle decided to stop asking about the blonde girl, although she was very curious about her. “Hope you guys stay best friend for a long time then.”

“Oh, yeah.” Tiffany flashed her eye smile. “We’re like BFFs already.”

 

They both laughed and chatted some more, before Tiffany decided it was time for her to talk with her father.

“Could you get dad for me?” Tiffany asked hesitantly. “I want to say merry Christmas…”

“Yeah, sure.” Michelle said after thinking for a moment. “Let me get him…”

The older girl went off the screen and there were voices in the background that followed. Tiffany waited nervously and put her hands on her chest to calm her rising heartbeat. Please just talk to me, dad. She prayed.

A man’s figure appeared on the screen and he tried to adjust the laptop’s camera with his hand. He then cleared his throat and stared to the screen. There was a slight hint of sadness in his eyes, as he began talking.

“Merry Christmas, Tiffany.” His voice sounded tired as always.

“M-Merry Christmas, dad…” The youngest Hwang felt like she was about to cry at that moment.

“I… I got your text the other day.” Her father said. “I was too busy to reply; sorry.”

“T-That’s okay, dad…” She tried her best to fight back her tears. “So… How are you doing?”

The father took a deep breath and stared at anywhere but the screen. “I’m fine, Tiffany.”

“Thank you for asking.”

And they both didn’t say anything after that.

“So how’s your training going?” He finally said.

“I-It’s going great…” The more she stared at her father, the weaker she felt. “I’m doing great, dad.”

“Good.” Her father took another deep breath. “Make sure your trainings don’t interfere with your study.”

“And make sure you take care of your body. I don’t want you to get sick.”

“Yes, dad.” Tiffany sighed. “I will.”

“Great.” The father finally looked to the screen, but no smile was on his face. “I have to go now; it’s late.”

“O-Okay…” The girl felt a tear dropped on her face. “Good bye, dad…”

“Yes.” Her father said as he stood up and left. “Good bye, Tiffany.”

“I-I’ll text you!” Tiffany shouted to the empty screen.

 

The crescent eyed girl went outside and sat on a wooden bench in front of the internet café. She dialed the blonde’s number and cried as soon as she heard Jessica’s voice. She told her everything; about how cold her father was, about how he didn’t even smile to her, about how he seemed like a stranger to her, about how he acted like he was talking to a business partner.

Calm down, honey, shh… Jessica tried to comfort her. Sshh, Tiff; it’s okay…

“I-I’m not okay!” Somehow she felt the blonde was the reason she was crying. “It’s all your fault! You’re the one who told me to call him!”

I’m sorry, Tiff… The blue eyed girl sounded sad. I’m really sorry…

It’s all my fault… It is… I’m sorry…

Tiffany cried for a while before she finally calmed herself down. She was still sobbing when she realized that on the other side of the phone; Jessica was sobbing too.

“W-Why are you crying?” She asked; her tears started to fall again.

It’s all my fault, I’m sorry… Jessica’s voice was trembling. I made you cry, I’m sorry…

And the crescent eyed girl started crying again, not because she was sad by her father’s reaction to her call earlier, and not because she was angry at Jessica for making her call her father; but because she was touched by the blonde’s sincerity and kindness. She didn’t get angry when Tiffany blamed her for making her call her father, but instead she took the responsibility and apologized for Tiffany’s tears.

“I’m… I’m sorry…” Tiffany said finally, realizing that the blonde was not at fault. “I’m sorry, Jessie…”

“I didn’t mean to blame you… Please stop crying…”

And they cried for a while, without saying anything to each other. They were trying to calm themselves, before saying more things they didn’t mean.

 

“I’m sorry, Jessie.” The crescent eyed girl said. “I shouldn’t have blamed you; you were trying to help me and I blamed you and I made you cry…”

“I’m so stupid.” She sighed. “I’m so stupid for making you cry…”

But it is my fault… Jessica’s voice was weak. If I didn’t persuade you to call him; you wouldn’t have to cry…

“No, Jessie.” Tiffany hoped she was standing beside the blue eyed girl right now, so she could hold her tight in her arms. “It was the right thing to do; and I know it too.”

“At least I got to talk to him.” She continued. “At least I tried…”

The blonde didn’t say anything for a while longer, and Tiffany could feel her heart sunk. She was afraid Jessica would hate her now, she was afraid she would leave her.

“Jessie?” Her words were weak and trembled. “P-Please don’t hate me, Jessie…”

“Say something…”

There was still no answer.

“Don’t leave me…” She begged with all her heart. “I’m really, really sorry…”

I want vanilla ice cream… Jessica finally said.

“Yes.” She let out a sigh of relief and smiled her widest. “I’ll buy you the best vanilla ice cream ever!”

And a hug… She whispered.

“Yes, Jessie.” Her eyes were teary again, but she was happy. The crescent eyed girl wanted nothing but to hug her too. “I’ll give you a hug as soon as I get back.”

… For five minutes…

“Let’s make it ten.” Tiffany giggled.

Deal.