CHAPTER XVI JEONJU

If Only..

CHAPTER XVI

JEONJU

 

“Hurry up, Tiffany!” Taeyeon waved at her crescent eyed friend. “We don’t have all day!”

“Hang… On…” Tiffany was out of breath. “This… Is pretty tough…”

The slanted eyed girl giggled at the exhausted girl. “Come on, Tiffany. We’ve only been walking for an hour.”

“This is hiking; not walking.” The black haired American girl wiped her sweaty forehead as she finally catches up with her shorter friend. “Why are the steps so steep?”

“Oh, I thought you American girls love hiking.” Taeyeon . “Come on, there’s a really awesome temple just around the corner.”

“We’re not there yet?” Tiffany sighed. “Oh, my God…”

 

The two girls finally reached a large and well kept Buddhist temple. Tiffany looked around and was captivated by the beauty of the place. She quickly took out her cell phone and snapped a few pictures.

When she realized that her phone camera was not good enough to capture the temple’s beauty, she decided to borrow Taeyeon’s camera. After she was satisfied taking photos of the temple, she and Taeyeon took some pictures of themselves with the temple as their background.

The slanted eyed girl then took Tiffany further up the hiking trails, after resting for a while. Their next stop was a large stone pagoda, and the crescent eyed girl was amazed by how the landmark was well preserved. They took more pictures, and then after getting another short rest, continued their hike.

There was another beautiful old temple and they stopped to take more pictures, and of course another short rest. At that time the crescent eyed girl was already exhausted and wanted to take a quick nap at the temple. Her shorter friend quickly reprimanded her that it was a very rude thing to do at the holy site, and dragged her away. The two girls then finally reached the end of their hiking trip after almost three hours of walking. The lake was the last tourist attraction in their hiking trip. Both girls took the time to just sit on the grass and enjoy the calming view.

“This is very relaxing.” Tiffany said as she took a couple of deep breaths.

“You should come here again during summer.” Taeyeon smiled as she stared at the water.

“I think this is a perfect place to take a quick nap, don’t you think?” The black haired American girl lied back on the grass.

The slanted eyed girl giggled and shook her head. “You’ll catch a cold napping in this weather.”

“Come on, let’s go home now.”

“Okay.” The crescent eyed girl closed her eyes. “Just let me rest for another ten minutes…”

“No!” Taeyeon laughed and pulled her hand. “Come on, Tiffany!”

   

And the trip back to the bus station was supposed to be short, but the black haired American girl was too out of shape and was having a hard time walking, despite all the rest they had had.

Taeyeon sighed and decided to help the poor American and took her hand. “Come on; the exits are close by.”

The crescent eyed girl was too tired to complain, and let the shorter girl dragged her to the end of their hiking trail. She stared at their joined hands for a moment and realized that it felt very different than when she was holding Jessica’s hand.

Why does it feel so different? She thought to herself.

And she spent the entire bus ride back to Taeyeon’s home trying to figure out why she did not feel the same warmth and shivers like what she always felt when she held Jessica’s hand. In fact, she felt nothing. She tried to remember how she felt back then when she held hands with Elizabeth, her first best friend; but she knew she didn’t feel anything too.

That was when she realized that the only person who could make her feel all those funny sensation was Jessica. Tiffany then wanted to ask the blonde girl if she felt the same way as she always did; but decided not to since she knew that the blue eyed girl would probably just more. In the end she forgot about the whole thing and fell asleep on the bus because she was too exhausted from all the hiking.

 

In the evening the Kims and Tiffany shared another lively dinner; and the black haired American girl continued her stories about her friends and her life after that. Taeyeon decided to tell her own version of the stories, and drew more laughter. Hayeon was still shy around the crescent eyed girl, despite her effort in bribing her with chocolate candies. Jiwoong was still the good listener, as all he did was listen to the stories and sometime joined the laugh. The father and the mother joked around about wanting to have a child like Tiffany, who they thought was very cheerful and friendly, and could make friends easily.

And Tiffany already felt comfortable and closer to Taeyeon’s parents, and she was no longer awkward calling them umma and appa.

“And that was my first day in Jeonju.” Tiffany had just finished telling her best friend about her day over the phone, minus the whole holding hands thing.

I’m glad you’re having a good time. And the crescent eyed girl could tell that Jessica was smiling when she said that.

“So how was your day?” She asked as she sat on the wooden chair at the backyard. But this time she came prepared as she wore a sweater to fight against the cold winter night of Jeonju.

Nothing much; I just went shopping with my parents and Soojung. Watch some more DVDs, read some novels…

“Wow… Sounds like you had a busy day too.” Tiffany teased and giggled.

Yeah; quite a productive day. The blonde laughed.

So, what are you doing tomorrow?

“I don’t know…” The crescent eyed girl said. “… I think I’m going to take it easy and stay inside for the day.”

“My feet are killing me…”

Want me to massage them? The blue eyed girl giggled.

“Please do…” Tiffany whined.

I’ll do that as soon as you get back here.

“So I have to wait for six more days to get a massage?” And they both laughed, and continued chatting for some time.

 

It’s late. You need to rest. Jessica said after a while.

“I’m not sleepy yet.”

Liar. And the crescent eyed girl giggled.

“So… Call me tomorrow?” Her voice was filled with expectation.

I’ll call you tomorrow. Good night, Tiff.

“Good night, Jessie.” She was about to hang up but her lips moved on their own. “I miss you.”

And I miss you too. Jessica spoke in a cute manner.

Tiffany giggled some more and finally decided to end the call, “Bye, Jessie.”

Bye.

 

Tiffany then spent a couple of days visiting Jeonju’s museums. To her surprise, Taeyeon’s hometown had a few museums worth visiting. There was the Jeonju National Museum, and then the Jeonju Korean Traditional Wine Museum, and then the Hanji Museum. The crescent eyed girl was always a fan of history and literature, and having the chance to visit those places and learn about Korean history was a thrilling experience for her. And she suddenly felt much, much smarter after spending her days visiting those museums.

One evening the family took Tiffany to taste their famous bibimbap, and she loved the food so much that she thought she could eat it every day without getting bored. After the most satisfying dinner, Taeyeon took Tiffany to a gift shop near her house. The slanted eyed girl said that the owner was a friend of her family, so they could get a discount. The crescent eyed girl looked around the shop although she realized she didn’t have enough on her to buy presents for all her friends. But she had always loved window shopping, so it was another fun activity to pass the time for her in Jeonju.

After looking at some items she decided she should buy something for the Kims to show her appreciation, although her shorter friend said it wouldn’t be necessary.

“I have to at least show how grateful I am to them, Taeyeon.” She insisted.

“But is it okay?” Her Jeonju native friend looked concerned. “I know you don’t have much money to spend on unnecessary things like this…”

“It’s not unnecessary.” Tiffany looked serious. “This is very important, in fact.”

Taeyeon smiled as she sensed the crescent eyed girl’s genuine gratitude. “Fine, then.”

“Just don’t buy expensive or too many stuff.” The slanted eyed girl laughed. “We probably already have all of these souvenirs in our living room anyway…”

“Oh, then I should’ve brought souvenirs from Seoul from the start!” Tiffany suddenly regretted for not realizing it earlier. “I’m so stupid…”

“Hey, don’t talk like that.” Taeyeon patted her shoulder. “You know there’s a saying ‘it’s the thought that counts’.”

And the black haired American girl nodded and regained her confidence, and went on to choose her gifts.

I need to find something for Jessie too, She reminded herself.

 

The day before Christmas the slanted eyed girl and her older brother took her to the Jeonju Hanok Village; which was a traditional Korean village that was well preserved by the government to show the visitors their old culture and how Korean people lived during those days. The black haired American girl spent the day exploring the village and gained yet more knowledge about the country’s culture, and Jiwoong was more than happy to act as her personal tour guide. He explained every little detail about the village, sometimes adding more than he should’ve had to make the trip more exciting. Taeyeon spent her time teasing her older brother, and even acted like a forceful matchmaker for the two. The crescent eyed girl then glared at her shorter friend, and Taeyeon quickly apologized and decided to let them continue their tour.   

After lunch they met with Taeyeon’s friends who were also visiting with their families. They talked for a while and introduced the American girl and exchanged small talks, but not long after the friends decided to go their own way. Tiffany noticed that the slanted eyed girl was not very good in making friends, as she herself admitted that she did not have many close friends in her school. Taeyeon said it was because she was naturally a shy person, and her schedules prevented her from socializing with her friends after school. Tiffany felt sorry after she heard that, but the shorter girl assured her that she had gained many close friends in Seoul instead, and that included Tiffany. The crescent eyed girl then smiled and thanked her for considering her as her close friend.

 

After they were satisfied exploring the village, they went back to the Kims residence and arrived just in time for dinner. Tiffany’s effort in bribing the seven year old Kim finally showed some results that evening, as Hayeon hesitantly but finally willing to take the candies she was offered, and said thanks. The mother smiled and said that it would only take one more effort from Tiffany to really capture her youngest daughter’s heart, and the crescent eyed girl told her that she had the perfect plan.

The father joked about Tiffany’s and Jiwoong’s date that day, making both defendants blushed in embarrassment. Teayeon added her own imaginative details about their date together; saying that they held hands and flirt with each other all day long. The crescent eyed girl quickly denied the accusations, and somehow preached about how God would not like his children to be lying. Jiwoong however, gave an awkward chuckle, drawing more suspicion from his parents. Even Hayeon joined the lively conversation, asking Tiffany if they were going to date each other from that moment on. The black haired American girl was surprised by her comment, and asked her if she knew what dating really means; to which the youngest giggle and she herself had had a boyfriend before. The living room suddenly fell quiet at her confession, until her mother laughed it off and soon they all followed; thinking that Hayeon probably didn’t know what she was talking about.

 

“But I already told you that I already have a girlfriend, appa.” Jiwoong looked a little annoyed when his father decided to about Tiffany again.

“We know that,” His mother laughed and adjusted her glasses, and the crescent eyed girl felt the gesture was all too familiar for her. “But don’t you think Tiffany is very pretty?”

“And nice,” Their father added. “And cute.”

“And she has the most beautiful smile I’ve ever seen!” Their mother giggled as she stared at the black haired American girl.

“U-Umma…” Tiffany blushed and didn’t know how to react to their comments.

“And she’s going to become an idol soon!” The eldest daughter added excitedly. “You won’t have a better chance than now to get closer to her, oppa.

“Ta-Taeyeon!” The crescent eyed girl blushed even more, and the Kims laughed.

“So what do you think of her, son?” His father asked again; this time he looked pretty serious.

“I-I think she’s cute; yes…” The oldest child said shyly, and Tiffany hung her head low. “Very cute…”

“Ha! You finally admit it!” Their father shouted in joy. “Did you hear that, Tiffany? He thinks you’re very cute!”

“S-Stop it, appa!” And the black haired American girl covered her ears.

“Why?” The father laughed loudly. “It’s the truth!”

“Yeah, Tiffany,” Taeyeon added. “I seem to recall how you said you were proud of your looks.”

“I did not!” Tiffany knew the slanted eyed girl was talking about that one time at Solitaire. “I did not say I was proud!”

“Then what did you say exactly?” The shorter girl more.

“I… I only said that I was aware of my looks…” She was almost whispering when she said that, and the Kims laughed even louder.

“Oh, Tiffany dear…” The mother wiped her glasses. “… That’s the same thing…”

“B-But umma…” The crescent eyed girl felt embarrassed.

“But it’s not a bad thing,” The father tried to cheer her up. “It’s good that you’re aware of your potentials, Tiffany.”

 “You can then decide what choices suit you the most, and plan your next step based on that decision.” The middle aged man seemed serious.

“I see, appa,” Tiffany nodded to the advice. “Thank you…”

“You’re very welcome, dear,” He chuckled lightly.

 

“So…” The mother continued. “What do you think of our Jiwoong?”

“U-Umma!” The crescent eyed girl was teased once more. “Stop it, please…”

“I only ask for your opinion of him, Tiffany,” The mother giggled. “We’re not going to set you up again; honest…”

“You promise?” Tiffany had her suspicions.

“Yeah, come on.” Taeyeon added. “I always wanted to know what girls think of Jiwoong oppa.

“Well,” The black haired American girl said. “Jiwoong oppa seems cool and nice…”

“Do you like him?” Taeyeon pursued.

“N-No! I don’t like him!” Tiffany unknowingly shouted, and the living room suddenly fell quiet.

The crescent eyed girl saw the Kims looked disappointed by her comment, and she quickly regretted having said that.

“You don’t like him?” Taeyeon looked sad, and Jiwoong too.

“I-I mean I like Jiwoong oppa,” Tiffany tried to correct her mistake earlier. “I-It’s just that I don’t like him like that…”

“Don’t you like boys, Tiffany?” The mother and laughed.

“O-Of course I like boys, umma!” She was surprised to hear her comment. “I-It’s just that I’m not looking to be in a relationship right now!”

And the Kims laughed again, except for the eldest son, as he was still somehow hurt by Tiffany’s comment.

“Oh, cheer up, Jiwoong.” The father laughed. “She said she likes you, but she’s not looking for a boyfriend right now.”

“I know that, appa!” His son’s face was blushing. “I know!”

And they all laughed some more.

 

It was two minutes after midnight, and the Kims were already in their rooms; sleeping. Tiffany tiptoed to the backyard with her sweater and a small box in one hand and her cell phone in her other hand. She sat on the chair and pressed the call button, then waited for a moment before a sweet voice could be heard next to her ear.

Merry Christmas, Los Angeles. The blonde greeted.

“Merry Christmas, San Francisco!” The crescent eyed girl smiled at the voice she had been missing all day.

“So… Can I open the present now?”

What’s the hurry? Don’t you want to tell me your day first? It had been their midnight routine to tell each other about how they had spent their day earlier.

“Oh! I went to the Hanok Village today. It was fun. Saw lots of traditional homes. That’s it.” She said hurriedly.

That’s it? The blonde girl was used to hearing all little detail in Tiffany’s story.

“That’s it.”

Want to hear mine?

“Can you tell me after I open your present?”

You know; people usually open their Christmas presents in the morning. The blue eyed girl giggled.

“Oh, come on, Jessie!” The crescent eyed girl didn’t want to wait that long. “Pretty please?”

Okay then, go ahead and open it. Jessica giggled once more.

 

The black haired American girl carefully opened the small green pink taped rectangular box. She peeked inside and found a pair of silver ankle bracelets. She lifted one bracelet and held her breath while she examined it; a round silver chain bracelet with six tiny green-yellow canaries made from some sort of gemstones on them.

“This is… This is beautiful…” Tiffany couldn’t find the right word to describe the present.

Glad you like them. She could hear the blonde let out a sigh before saying those words.

“Oh, Jessie…” The crescent eyed girl took another deep breath. “… Thank you…”

You’re welcome. Jessica used her cute voice.

“But why did you get me two bracelets?” She asked as she lifted the other bracelet from the box. It was the same exact ankle bracelet. Tink and Bell… She smiled.

Oh. The seller told me they’re a pair; like those couple thingy. He told me you should wear one and gave the other to your “special” person. She giggled.

“Oh, really? The crescent eyed girl stared at the two bracelets. “I guess I have to wait until I get a boyfriend, then.”

Yeah. Why not give them to Jiwoong oppa? Jessica teased, as Tiffany already told her about how the Kims were playing the matchmaker for the two of them.

“Oh, my God.” The black haired American girl sighed; somehow she didn’t like it when the blonde about dating Taeyeon’s older brother. “Not you too, Jessie.”

Why not? You told me he’s quite attractive… Jessica laughed some more.

“But not attractive enough for me to date him.” She said quickly.

You shouldn’t be too picky, Los Angeles. Or you’ll wake up someday surrounded by cats.

“I’d rather be surrounded by cats then to date someone I don’t like.” She said. “Now stop teasing me with Jiwoong oppa or I’ll get mad and you’ll ruin Christmas for me.”

Okay, okay… Sorry… The blonde giggled. I was just curious, that’s all…

I already said I don’t want you to get close to that Jiwoong oppa.

“I know, Jessie…” The crescent eyed girl let out a sigh of relief and smiled. “I know you do…”

So have you bought a present for me? Jessica changed the subject.

“No… Not yet.” Tiffany did buy something for her at the gift shop, but after she saw how special the blonde’s present was she quickly decided she should find another gift. “But I promised I’d have them when I get back!”

Hmm… Really? The blue eyed girl sounded doubtful.

“I swear to God I’d have something special for you too when I get back.” The crescent eyed girl tried her best to assure her best friend.

Okay then…

 

“So how was your day, Jessie?” Tiffany quickly changed the subject once more.

Pretty much the same… Play some games, watch some movies, dinner…

“Why don’t you hang out with Sooyoung or the others?” The crescent eyed girl asked as she put on the bracelet on her left foot.

Don’t wanna… I’d rather stay home and relax all day…

“Isn’t that a bit too lonely?” Tiffany smiled her widest as she wiggled her bracelet, which was now locked to her left foot, around.

Nope. Besides, I have Soojung with me.

Soojung, huh?” Somehow she felt a bit jealous that her younger sister could spend the whole day everyday with her.

Yeah; she’s more than a handful to me. The blonde girl giggled; she didn’t notice a hint of jealousy in her best friend’s voice earlier.

“Anyway, thanks for the anklets again.” The crescent eyed girl quickly changed the subject.

And you’re welcome. Again. And they both laughed.

The two girls spent another thirty minutes to chat and joke around. And after a couple of yawns from Tiffany; Jessica decided to end their call and let the crescent eyed girl rest. Tiffany was a little disappointed because she wanted to talk some more, but she realized she was tired after all, and the night was getting colder.

They ended the call by saying ‘I miss you’ to each other; a funny habit started when Tiffany first arrived in Jeonju. And although the crescent eyed girl was sure that it was not a common habit between friends; she could not help herself but say those words. Not because she was trying to be funny or create a new trend among friends or anything; but because she really meant those words.

The black haired American girl tiptoed back to Taeyeon’s room and carefully put the green gift box with the twin anklet in it back into her bag, before she lied in her futon and stared at her cell phone’s wallpaper.

Merry Christmas, Jessie. She said in her mind and then she went to sleep with a wide smile on her face.

 

The next morning Tiffany woke up early and headed to church with the Kims. After celebrating Jesus Christ’s birthday and small chat with the family’s neighbors and friends, they all went back home to open their presents. Tiffany gave the Kims matching red knitted gloves, perfect for the winter and her budget. The parents were surprised and touched by the crescent eyed girl’s gesture, and gave her a warm and tight hug, before giving Tiffany their own Christmas present for her.

Tiffany shyly thanked the family and opened the present, and quickly smiled as she stared at the snow globe in her hands. The snow globe enclosed a tiny wooden house decorated for Christmas, with Christmas trees surrounding it. She immediately thanked the parents again and gave them her warmest hug.

The older brother blushed as he opened the gift from Tiffany, and awkwardly thanked her, hesitating if he should give the American girl a hug or not, before deciding to settle for an awkward handshake instead. Taeyeon wore her new knitted gloves and laughed as she already knew the gifts since she was the one who took the American girl shopping, but thanked her anyway and gave her a warm hug.

She then gave Tiffany a black beanie as her Christmas present. The crescent eyed girl happily accepted the gift, although it was not pink, and thanked Taeyeon.

Hayeon, surprisingly, was very happy to receive the gift, although it was just a pair of winter gloves, and she threw herself at the eye smiling American girl.

“Thank you, Pany unnie!” She said as she hugged the older girl.

“You’re welcome, Hayeon,” The crescent eyed girl was happy as the youngest Kim finally opened up to her. “Merry Christmas.”

“Oooh, I like that,” Taeyeon laughed. “Pany Pany Tipany…”

The whole family joined and laughed at the black haired American’s new nickname, and they all chanted and sang to the name. Tiffany was embarrassed for a second, but then she joined them and laughed, happy because Hayeon was the one who gave her the nickname; although she was sure it was because the little girl found it hard to pronounce Tiffany.

“Pany Pany Tipany…” Taeyeon sang the name over and over again.

“Oh, stop it Taetae!” The crescent eyed girl by giving her a nickname too.

“Taetae unnie!” Hayeon seemed to like her older sister’s new nickname, and the whole family laughed again.

 

The Kims and Tiffany then sat at the dining table and enjoy their Christmas lunch. And when the table was filled chatter and laughter, Tiffany suddenly felt her face was covered with her own tears. The table suddenly fell quiet and stared at the black haired American girl.

Taeyeon rubbed Tiffany’s back and asked her what’s wrong. The crescent eyed girl quickly wiped her tears with a tissue that Jiwoong handed to her, and apologized for ruining their happy moments.

“I was just reminded of my mother…” Tiffany said shyly.

“Oh…” The whole family didn’t know what to say.

“I-I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to ruin your lunch…” The crescent eyed girl apologized once more.

Taeyeon sighed and hugged her. “It’s okay, Tiffany…”

“You must be missing your mother so much…”

Tiffany started crying again as she nodded repeatedly, and the mother quickly went to her side and gave her the warmest hug she had.

“Oh, Tiffany…” She said as her own tears were also falling. “… You don’t have to apologize…”

“It’s okay to cry, honey…”

And Tiffany didn’t need another invitation as she started to cry loudly, releasing all her pent up feelings for her mother.

“I… I loved her so much…” She wailed with all her strength.

 

After the American girl had calmed down, the mother held her close to her chest and her hair gently. “You can’t help but miss the person you loved the most in this world, Tiffany…”

“But remember that there are people who are there for you; your family, your friends, and us…”

She cupped the girl’s face and stared at her crescent eyes and smiled her sweetest. “Let us be your family here, and let me be your mother here.”

And Tiffany wiped her tears and hugged the mother once more, “Thank you, umma…

Taeyeon smiled and rubbed her back. “I guess that means we’re sisters now.”

“Don’t cry, Pany unnie!” Hayeon suddenly shouted and hugged the black haired American girl too. “I’ll be your best little sister in the world!”

Tiffany giggled and her hair. “Thank you, Hayeon. I’ll try to be the best unnie for you too…”

And their Christmas lunch ended happily after all; as their bonds grew stronger over Tiffany’s tears of missing her mother.