One step at a time

Wherever You Go, I'll Follow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun

Sehun flopped on his bed after his shower. He took out his phone and began typing.

S: I'm home now. Thanks for agreeing to ice cream with me. I had a good time. :)

H: I had fun too. It was nice knowing more about yourself. Good night then. See you in school tomorrow.

 

Sehun read Hayoung's reply. He pouted in disappointment when he read it. He wanted to continue on the conversation but she seemed to be saying it all in one message. He quickly typed out his reply and waited for hers.

S: You're going to sleep already? Are your parents home?

H: Not yet. They usually come home past midnight. I'm used to it. They're busy earning money for me.

S: Poor Hayoung! Want me to accompany you tonight? You must be lonely right?

H: Nope, I'm fine. I was just going to make myself a cup of warm milk and head off to bed.

S: But the night is still young. By the way, do you mind if we talk more comfortably? I don't like feeling all formal with a friend.

H: Aah, of course. I can talk comfortably. :)

As soon as he saw the message, Sehun dialled her number, not bothering to type out a reply.

H: What is this? This is your idea of accompanying me? We're not just messaging?

S: What? Not even a hello? Hayoung-ah, where's your manners?

H: Annyeong Oppa! *giggles* 

Sehun widen his eyes in surprise. Did she just called him Oppa?

S: Say it again. 

H: Say what again?

S: Oppa. Call me Oppa!

H: Euw, no! I was just being sarcastic. Don't you get it? You told me to talk comfortably right?

S: Tsk! Can't you just entertain me for a few minutes more? Call me Oppa! Palli! It was nice.

H: Oppa, oppa, oppa, oppa. Done. *in a flat tone*

S: Woman, you're not fun at all! Pprrfffttt!

H: *laughs* Aww, someone's angry. Why? Oppa, why are you mad? ~ *aegyo tone*

S: Are you bipolar or something? First you're all monotonous with the "Oppa" and now your sentence is dripping with aegyo. Who are you and where is Hayoung?!

H: Annyeong Sehun, it's me again. *in a flat tone* *giggles*

S: *bursts out laughing* Damn, you're crazy! Are you usually like this? I don't even know you had this playful side Hayoung-ah.

H: I'm usually like this among the people I'm close with. I'm all dorky when I get comfortable with people.

S: Aaah, so now you're comfortable with me? That's good to know.

H: I...I...don't know why. Somehow you just make me feel comfortable to be around you. I don't usually converse much with people but with you, conversations come easy.

 

Sehun can't help the huge grin that is forming on his face. Hayoung has just said the words which he had been hoping to hear. To know that she feels comfortable and to be able to be herself around him. He just didn't expect her to "confess" this quickly. "Take it slow Sehun-ah." He told himself.

S: You don't know how relieved I feel right now. I was kinda worried that you would feel intimidated or scared to be yourself with me. I'm just a human too you know. Being part of EXO doesn't mean I'm a God or something.

H: I know and I'm glad you're normal. *giggles* I'm glad we managed to click! 

S: Gosh, you sound so cute when you giggle. *laughs* Hayoung-ah, I'm glad we clicked too. It's nice, having talked to you and getting to know you more.

H: Aaah, why are you being like this? Anyway, Sehun, I gotta go. Seems like my mum's home early today.

S: Ok, in that case, see you tomorrow in school. Erm, can I come pick you up? We can go to school together. I'll drive. Or we can take the bus if you want?

H: No! Don't trouble yourself. I can go to school myself. 

S: I'm not taking no for an answer. I'll come by around 7am tomorrow ok? Don't be late! Good night!

With that, Sehun hanged up from the phone call. He is smiling so much tonight that his cheekbones hurt. Tomorrow, another chance for him to get to know Hayoung better. He is so thankful that Fate has decided to intertwine their paths together. 

 

Hayoung

"Hello? Hello?!" All she could hear is the dial tone. "Aiissh, this boy! Now I have to face him in the morning too?!" Hayoung mumbled to herself.

A knock on the door brought Hayoung's attention to the now. Her mother's head peeked in from behind the door. "Not sleeping yet, sweetheart? Had your dinner?" Her mother asked gently before making her way into her room and sat herself on the edge of the bed. "Not hungry, Mum. I had a lot of ice cream during my project meeting just now." "You should still eat something. I'm sorry for coming home late all the time. I'm not a good mother to you and I don't cook dinner for the family. We hardly had family time together."

 

"You finally realised that now?" The words came out harshly from Hayoung's mouth. Her mother gasped and Hayoung continued, "Seriously, Mum. If you actually did care for the family, you could have made an effort to actually be a mother and a wife. But instead you're so busy climbing up the corporate ladder that you forget about us. It's no wonder Dad found someone else." Her mother shook her head in disbelief. "You don't know the real deal between your father and me. How dare you speak to me like that?" Hayoung rolled her eyes and folded her arms. "Mum, you guys were practically yelling at each other, night and day! You didn't even think that I would overheard you? I'm not deaf and I'm not stupid!" Hayoung shouted. 

 

Hayoung's mother moved closer towards her and hold her hand. "I'm so sorry, Hayoung-ah. I'm sorry for all the mess. I'm sorry that you have to go through all these. I didn't want this...I didn't want this mess." She whispered, as tears fall from her eyes. Hayoung took her hand away from her mother's grasp. "I'm sorry too. I'm sorry that I have to be caught in between both of your problems. I'm sorry that I even exist! Makes it harder for you two to part isn't it? Because you have me to think about." She said bitterly. Her mother just shook her head and hugged Hayoung. "Oh sweetheart, how could you think like that? You're wonderful. You're a joy to us. You were never a burden. Please don't talk about yourself like that." Hayoung's mother sobbed onto her daughter's shoulder. Hayoung couldn't help but to cry too. After a while, Hayoung pulled away from her mother. "I think I better go and sleep. I need to wake up early for school tomorrow." "Oh right, of course. I love you, Hayoung-ah. Always remember that. Good night." He mother whispered as she leaned in to peck Hayoung's forehead. Hayoung just nodded as she watched her mother head out of her room, without even glancing back at her for another look, another "i-love-you", another "good night", or even a smile. 

 

Hayoung walked to her bathroom and turn on the faucet. She splashed cold water on her face to stop herself from crying. "Enough is enough, Hayoung-ah. You're used to it. This stuff don't bother you!" Hayoung spoke out loud to her reflection in the mirror. Wiping her face, she sighed as she made her way to her bed, switching off all the lights. Once her head rested on her pillow, the tears started to fall again. She recalled back her day, how she was so happy talking to Sehun one moment, and crying the next when she was with her mother. 

 

Hayoung took a deep breath and wiped her tears. She turned to her side and hugged her bolster, willing herself to sleep, even though her tears managed to escape from her eyes again. That night, Hayoung dreamt of the beach, a picnic basket full of yummy food and a family laughing and enjoying each other's company.

 

Sehun

Sehun was already waiting outside Hayoung's gate at 6.45am. He was so scared he overslept that he set his alarm half an hour earlier than usual. He was pacing back and forth in front of the gate when he heard it open. Hayoung stood frozen at her spot when she saw Sehun. "Uh, you're early. You said you'll be here at 7am." Hayoung asked. Sehun raised his eyebrows, looking at the way Hayoung shifted uncomfortably on her feet. "Were you trying to escape from me?!" He said out loud in surprise. "No, no, no! Don't get me wrong. I...I just woke up early...I wanted to wait for you...yeah." Hayoung stuttered her words out with her two hands waving back and forth. "Really? You look guilty though." "I said I was not!" Hayoung shouted, her emotions threatening to burst out from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter