Starting over

Wherever You Go, I'll Follow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three years later

 

Hayoung

"Hayoung!" 

Hayoung turned to see her colleague, Sena, walking over to her. "Hey Sena, what's up?" "It's your last day today, right? You're going back to Korea after this?" Hayoung nodded. "Yeap, I'm finally going home." Sena was digging something out from her bag. She handed it over to Hayoung when she found it. "Here, just a souvenier. To remember all of us here." Hayoung took the polaroid album and flipped through the pages. There were pictures of her students, colleagues and some with Sena, her fellow counsellor in the school. "Aww, Sena! Thank you. This is very thoughtful of you." Hayoung bear hugged the petite lady. Sena returned the hug with a sniffle. "Yah! Don't cry! You can always come and visit me in Korea. Or I will come here to visit you." Sena shook her head, "Some dust in my eye. I'm not crying. Don't flatter yourself." Hayoung chuckled. "Thank you for your guidance the past year. And thank you for being a good colleague and friend, Sena." Hayoung said sincerely. "You've been a great help here. Thank you, Hayoung. I'm gonna miss you." "Me too, Sena. Me too."

 

Right after graduation, Hayoung was one of the students who was accepted for a one year internship programme to be a counsellor in various schools in California. Her mother and friends who were looking forward to her return couldn't hide their initial disappointment when Hayoung told them about her extended stay in the US. But they supported her decision eventually, knowing that it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and Hayoung was adamanat to accept it. One friend in particular, got pretty upset. He didn't want Hayoung to accept it but relent soon after, knowing that she won't back down. "Oh Sehun, you pabo." Hayoung smiled, remembering their huge argument over the phone when they were discussing about it.

 

Oh Sehun. The one person she honestly couldn't wait to see once she get back to Korea. Over the past three years, people would have thought they contacted often, but it was the complete opposite. Besides the usual birthday or Christmas greetings, and the occasional updates on their lives, they don't really message or call each other. Not that Hayoung is complaining since she's the one who wanted to keep the distance in the first place. But even with the minimal contact, Hayoung realized that her feelings for Sehun had not disappear or became any less than it was before. She fell in love with him when they were together. She fell deeper in love with him when they were apart. Oh, how she missed him.

 

Sehun

Sehun was busy typing out reports in the office when his handphone rang. "Hello?" He picked it up while continuing with the reports. "Sehun! You know what day it is today?" Naeun's voice shrieked from the other line. Sehun pulled the phone away as he scowled. "Can you please stop doing that? My ears hurt." "Sorry, not sorry. Anyway, what day is it today?" She continued talking in her high pitched voice. "Friday. Why?" He paused his typing as he stood up from his chair and stretched. "You forgot? It's finally THE Friday! Hayoung is coming back tomorrow!" She squealed and Sehun swear his eardrums burst. "How can Kai ever deal with your voice, Naeun. No wonder he's becoming deaf as years go by." He mumbled while checking his calender. True enough, he had checked off that Saturday with Hayoung's flight details. "Are you coming with us? We're going to pick her up at the airport together with her mum." "I can't, Naeun-ah. I've got a breakfast meeting tomorrow. I can't cancel it, it's with an important client." Naeun made some fussing sound before she sighed. "Can't Suho oppa handle it? Don't you want to see her?" She asked. "Of course I want to see her. But this client is under my project. Besides, it's Saturday. Hyung would prefer to spend it with Chorong noona and their twins." "Fine. I thought I could change your mind." Sehun smiled at his friend's defeated voice. "Don't worry Naeun-ah. I'll visit her when I'm free after that." 

 

Oh Hayoung. The girl who had been running in his mind for the past three years and never seemed to get tired. He missed her, very much, that at some point he gets tired of feeling that way. He won't say that he didn't succumb himself to the temptations of dating. He did, but in the end, all he ever wanted was her. Oh Hayoung. His better half, his buddy, his everything. And now, she's coming home for good. His body tingles in anticipation on seeing her face to face again. He reached for his phone and typed a quick message to her.

S: Hey, have a safe flight. Sorry I won't be there to pick you up. I've got an important business meeting. But I'll see you when I'm done? Let's catch up. Can't wait to see you. :)

It was way after lunch when he received a reply from Hayoung. Sehun smiled at her response and he felt his heart fluttered. The simplest things she said still makes him smile.

H: No worries, Sehun! Let's meet for dinner or something? I'm so excited to go home! Can't wait to see you too! Miss you, Hunnie. See you soon. ;)

 

***

Hayoung

Hayoung jumped onto her bed as soon as she placed her luggage by the door. "Aaahh! My own bed is still the best!" She rolled around and soon, the made bed turned into a mess. She snickered seeing her messy bed as she leapt out to unpack her luggage. Her mother and friends had picked her up and welcomed her warmly. She missed them, after being away for three years. Her mother left for work soon after, but her friends dragged her for some brunch to catch up. All of them had started working and there were lots of work related episodes that were shared between themselves.

 

"Have you applied for a job here?" Namjoo asked while munching on her sandwich. "Yes, I have. I'm starting next week. It's at a high school, counselling the kids there. It's gonna be a challenge." Hayoung replied. "Wow, they're gonna be a handful. I can understand." Kai spoke. He had just opened a dance academy and most of his students are young teenagers, so he could emphatize. The rest of the guys, including Sehun, were helping out in their family business. Naeun is a graphic designer, and Namjoo is in marketing. Hayoung couldn't help feeling nostalgic, recalling how they met when they're still in school and now, they had all entered the work force. 

 

When they were done with brunch, they had insisted to wait for Sehun and get him to join them when he's done but Hayoung convinced her friends that he'll be busy and she wanted to rest after her long flight. 

 

After their time apart, Hayoung felt that it would be better if they catch up in private instead of with their friends who will only tease them to no end. Call her selfish, but she wants his attention to be just for her instead of sharing it with their friends. "I'm sure they will understand." She convinced herself when guilt started to take over her. Hayoung stowed away her luggage once she was done with unpacking. She lied back down on her bed and checked her phone, only to see an unread message from Sehun.

S: Still up for dinner tonight?🍴

H: Sure thing. I feel like having grilled beef. Let's go to the usual restaurant?

S: Ok. Want me to pick you up?

H: Nah, let's just meet there. I've got some errands to run before that. So, see you at 7pm?

S: Alright then. See you in a few hours time. 😊

H: Yup, see you! 😆

 

***

 

Hayoung was sitting at the corner booth, having her chocolate sundae while looking out the window at the scenery. She had spent her time at the library, her sanctuary, to get a good read. Now, she had an hour to kill before meeting Sehun for dinner. Hayoung was roaming around when she spotted the ice cream parlour that they went to during their first meeting. Without a second thought, she found herself ordering a sundae and enjoying it at the corner booth. Hayoung was about to put her spoonful of sundae in when she froze. It was as if her body's reflex was working on its own. She could smell him even before she see him. "That smell, that perfume. The one I got him." Hayoung shut her eyes and put her spoon down. "Is it really him? How could he know that I'm here? Aaah! Probably it's some guy who wears the same perfume." She told herself.

 

"Hayoung-ah? Is it really you?" His voice broke Hayoung out from her thoughts. "It's really him!" She almost shrieked out loud. Hayoung calmed herself and took a deep breath. It's funny how her heart was hammering against her ribcage and butterflies were invading her stomach. It was as if she was meeting her crush for the first time. She slowly turned her head to see Sehun looking down at h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter