Crossroads (1)

Wherever You Go, I'll Follow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hayoung

Books spread around her bed as Hayoung diligently read her notes while scribbling pointers on her cue cards. Her finals are approaching soon and she is determined to do well, like she always does. She looked up to check the time. "Two more hours. I have two more hours before Sehun calls." She thought. She hurriedly put away her unused books on her study table before resuming her note taking. Not long after, her phone beeped, indicating an incoming message. 

S: Babe, I'm going to the library for my assignment meeting. It's kinda last minute and I don't know what time we'll end. I'm not sure if I can call tonight. Go and rest if you're tired. Don't wait for me ok. I'm so sorry. I miss you. I love you.

H: Again? :( Can I call you now instead? I can accompany you on your way there. I miss hearing your voice.

Hayoung sighed as she tossed the phone back on her bed, waiting for Sehun's reply. It has been like this for the past month. Ever since finals were approaching, both Hayoung and Sehun had been too busy and tired with revision that they have not been calling or messaging as often.

 

During the first few months that they had been away, they were messaging, Skype-ing and calling each other several times a day, acting like two lovestruck lovebirds. However, all that slowly decreases as they both started to focus and immerse themselves in their school work. The time difference did not help either. Hayoung sighed again, wondering if things will get better once finals are over. Her train of thoughts were broken by the sound of an incoming call. She excitedly reached out for her phone, hoping it was Sehun.

 

"Yo Hayoung! Still studying?" She sighed when she heard the voice on the other end. It wasn't the voice she was hoping for. "Yes, what else." She replied in a monotonous voice. "Urgh, even your voice sounds dead. Come on, let's go out and grab some snacks. I'm hungry." The voice on the other line whined. Hayoung rolled her eyes before she leaned back to her headboard. "I'm lazy. Go bother someone else." "No! You're my only friend!" Hayoung can't help the sarcasm in her voice. "Only friend? Yeah right. The only friend cos you want me to treat you, right?" She heard laughter before the voice sheepishly said, "Come on. Just this once. Please? I haven't had dinner since I was busy mugging." Hayoung sighed. She wanted to wait for Sehun but she doubt he'll call. "I'll get back to you in 15 minutes, Bobby." She finally said as she ended the call. "I'll wait another 15 minutes." She said out loud before getting off the bed. She cleaned up her notes and put them back on her study table.

 

Hayoung was busy cleaning her bed when her phone beeped.

S: I'm already at the library. Sorry, babe. I wish I could get finals over with so I can talk to you all night long. Go and have a good rest. Don't stress yourself too much. Eat well. Dream of me.~ I love you.~

Hayoung unconsciously let out a scowl. "Damn right I'll eat well." She muttered under her breath.

H: Sure will. Study hard. Good night. I love you.

Conscise and straight to the point. Hayoung can't help the disappointment she felt. She wasn't in the mood to be lovey dovey. She dialled a number and the call picked up after a few rings. "Hey Bobby, see you at the main entrance in 10 minutes." She said. "Awesome! See you then!" Bobby replied before putting down the phone. Hayoung changed her shorts to a pair of leggings and pulled her sweater over her tshirt. She tied her hair into a messy bun and picked up her wristlet and handphone.

 

"I'm meeting Bobby for some snacks. Want anything?" Hayoung peeped into her roommate's room. Sorn looked up from her pile of notes. "No, thanks. I might get indigestion if I eat anything. The stress is killing me!" She whined. Hayoung laughed it off. "Happy studying then. Don't fret it. You're a genius!" She winked as she walked out from the apartment. Hayoung first met Sorn when she rented a room in the apartment which belonged to Sorn's aunt. Hayoung wouldn't mind staying in the school's dormitory but apparently, Sorn's aunt and her mother are business acquantainces and her aunt offered a place to stay since her niece was going to the same school. She was glad she and Sorn clicked it off right away. Even though Sorn is a Thai national, she is fluent in Korean which made communication easier between them.

 

"Hurry, I'm about to faint." She heard Bobby hollered at her while she hurried her steps over to him. "I'm feeling for some pizza." He said. "Sure, piggy." Hayoung chuckled as she linked her arms around his. Kim Jiwon, also known as Bobby lived in the same apartment building as Hayoung and Sorn. They met once in the elevator and hit it off right away, probably because Hayoung was excited to know a fellow Korean in a foreign land. Even though he grew up in the States, Korean language wasn't a problem to him and they shared many conversations together. Bobby is a year ahead of both girls and he went to Standford too. Even though the three of them are marjoring in different courses, they became close friends. More so Hayoung and Bobby since they were both Koreans. Hayoung treated him like an older brother and so did Bobby, who treated Hayoung as a younger sister. 

 

***

 

S: Finally! My finals are over. I miss you, baby. 😙

H: Congrats! How did you think you fare? I miss you more, pabo! 😘

S: I think I did well enough to move on to the next year. How's your results? I'm going out to celebrate with the group later. Wish you were here. I need a kiss.

H: ert! But then again, I'd like a kiss from you too. Hehehe. My results were so-so. Got in the top 10! 😏

S: You're a ert too! And how is so-so equals to being in the top 10? Pabo! Congrats on your results though. As expected, my girlfriend is smart. So proud of you, pabo!

H: Thank you! Have fun with the rest. Wish I could teleport over. Send my regards and hugs and kisses.

S: Yah, yah! No kisses. Just hugs. Hmm...probably no hugs for the guys. That's only for me. 😆

H: Don't be jealous! 

S: I'll always be jealous of other guys when it comes to you. 

H: That's nice to know. Ditto for me too, handsome. 😊

 

***

 

"Thank you for surprising me and coming all the way here to see me. It's been fun." 

"No worries. Anything for my beautiful girlfriend. I'm glad you're surprised. Thank God Naeun and Namjoo didn't spill anything to you."

"I'm glad they didn't too. Or else it wouldn't be as fun."

"Yeah, you take care of yourself alright. You've lost some weight. Eat more. I gotta check in soon. I love you."

"I love you too! Wear the perfume I gave you. It'll remind you of me all the time."

"Of course I will, baby. I'll even spray it in my room. Hehe. Ok, bye. Take care of yourself. Don't get too close to Bobby."

"Don't be jealous! Bobby is like a brother. You take care too. Study hard. Bye!"

 

***

 

H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter