Chapter Two

Night Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Two

   I took out my phone and selected my mom's contact to send her a text saying that I wouldn't be home until later that night. I had used the excuse that I had to stay late to get some help from my professor. I wasn't one to lie to my mom, but something about this situation made me feel the need to. Once she replied saying okay, I glanced at the piece of paper again before I turned my key, starting the car's ignition and beginning to drive. 

    The piece of paper had directions on it, why I decided to follow them, I had no clue. It seemed like one of those horror movie scenarios. Where the main character gets a letter saying to do something, and she, stupidly, agrees to it. Yeah, well I was her, headed blindly for my fate. I didn't even have the smallest sliver of nervousness in my body. 

    The rain fell hard as I drove. The sky was so dark with clouds it appeared black. We didn't get rain like this around here much, so when we did it was a shock for a lot of people and the majority of them forgot how to drive. 

    The directions led me to the book store from yesterday. Confused, I turned off my car and ran inside; running was my attempt to avoid getting soaked by the rain. 

    "You're back?" Ella asked. She seemed confused, which made enough sense. I never came to this store. 

    "Yeah. There was a note in that book from yesterday with an address. It wasn't there last night, but I decided to follow it anyway. So here I am."

    Ella just stared at me for a moment, her skin began to pale and shock covered her face.

    "I know. Crazy right?" I laughed. A part of me felt slightly disappointed that all of this was just a coincidence and nothing was coming out of it.

    "It was probably just there. You should head home, the rain is getting worse." She told me with a smile, but there was urgency in her tone. 

    "Yeah. I'll see you in class." I paused before going to the door. 

    "And don't worry about that book, okay? It's fiction. A vampire comedy. Don't get yourself worked up." She was now leading me toward the door, and I was about to step outside when we both ran into two guys who looked around our age. They practically appeared out of nowhere. 

    "Ella come on! Fiction? You know better than that. Besides, you're being rude to our guest." The shorter of the two men said. His tone was slightly playful, and he seemed like a cheery kid. 

    "She's an English major. Not someone who is supposed to be dragged into this ed up place." Ella snapped. 

    "You know them?" I asked Ella suddenly more confused than ever. 

    "She came here on her own freewill. She bought the book. Read the book. And then came back. No one was forcing her at gun point." The one who was wearing a snapback decided to speak this time, cutting Ella off before she could answer me. 

    So this did have to do with the book. I thought to myself

    "I am standing right here you know. And I have the capability of hearing." I intervened once again. I knew if I was persistant they would eventually answer something I ask. I however, was wrong. The three just looked at me for a moment before continuing their conversation. 

    "She isn't a part of all of this Jackson. You know that." Ella told the guy in the hat. 

    "You're not a part of all of this, so stay out of it.." Jackson snapped with a slight harshness to his tone. It was different from before, he made it clear that, whatever this was, it wasn't up for discussion.

    "She's my friend." Ella tried once more, but sounding defeated. 

    "And she's a part of this. I'm BamBam by the way!" The cheerful one, Bam Bam, turned to me. I just nodded slightly, what kind of name is Bam Bam? Was he from the Flintstones?

    "Why don't we let her decide then? Seeing as you said she came here on her own freewill." Ella now directed her attention to me, which finally caused Jackson to turn to face me as well.

    I had no clue what was going on. I came here to find that out. Just because people we talking about me in some omnious way wasn't about to change that. I was stubborn.

    "I did come on my own freewill because I want to figure out what's going on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter