Chapter One

Night Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One.

     All of it started when I was walking home from school. It was my freshman year of college, early December; things were beginning to wrap up for winter break, and I couldn't be happier about it. 

    Everyday when I walked home, I kept on the main road. I didn't live very far away. Maybe a couple miles. I was lucky that my parents chose to live in a collge town. It saved me a lot of money. I could have driven to school everyday, but I never did, walking always gave me the time to think and to just be alone. Every day I would pass a variety of stores. There was a small book shop that had a cafe, and even a small grocery store, not to mention the small takeaway family-owned restaurant. They sold everything from pizza, to subs, and even deserts. 
    
    I had to stop at the book store on this specific day, I had a project to do on a piece of American Literature. Leave it to my professor to assign a huge project that continued over break. I hadn't even managed to pick out a book, let alone start it. It wasn't that I didn't like to read. It was more of the fact that I was either too lazy to pick up a book and do it, or I could never find a book I wanted to read. I didn't have much time nowadays either. Between trying to find internships and trying make some extra money. Not that I minded, being busy was never a bad thing in my eyes. It was actually kind of nice. 

    "Hey Jen." Ella, the girl who worked at the small book store greeted me as I walked in. 

    "Hi." I smiled back at her before walking down to the classic literature section where I assumed some book would be. On the way, however, something caught my eye and caused me to come to a full stop and double take. 

    NEW: Your Average Vampire Book. By Casey Bates. 

    I was never a person for vampire books. Or for vampires at all really. There wasn't anything about them that appealed to me. The whole blood , lust filled story wasn't interesting, and actually kind of appaling. There was nothing new when it came to vampire stories. It was the same old thing, over and over. But there was something about this one book. Something that I almost felt as if I was being compelled to buy.

    I grabbed the book off of the display table it was on before I continued over to my original destination. After picking up a copy of The Catcher In The Rye, a book that I had been meaning to read, and work well for my assignment; I made my way over to Ella who was sat on a stool reading a book of her own. 

    "You find everything alright?" She asked, placing down her book to check out my books. 

    "Yeah. Thanks." I said, again, adding the smile. 

    "Your Average Vampire Book?" She asked me with a smirk, looking at the plain black cover, with the shiny gold title. 

    "Thought it would be an interesting read." I shrugged. 

    "More like a history textbook if you ask me." I thought I heard the young girl mumble. 

    "What was that?" I asked, not sure of exactly what she had said.

    "Oh just said it seems boring to me." She explained before handing me a flimsy plastic bag that held the two books, "Have a good day, Jen, I'll see you tomorrow in Calc. right?"

    We exchanged a few more words before I left and started to make my way home once again. My mind made it's way back to the vampire book, why did I even buy that?

~O~

    "Dad! Mom! I'm home!" I yelled as I entered my house. "I stopped at the book store on the way here." I told them, not really paying attention to if they were listening or not. 

    "Don't forget to take out the trash." My mother reminded me, popping her head back into the breezeway area before going back to whatever she was doing.

    My dad built the house in the late eighties, so it was kind of old fashioned, but I loved it. My family moved from Korea to America after my mom and dad got married. My mom's parents didn't exactly like my dad, but I guess in the end, my parents didn't care, and got married anyway. They moved to the US barely knowing any English, but they wanted a decent life for the family they wanted to start. My dad worked a lot of odd jobs, but managed to build is way up, and my mom found a nice job as a care taker in a nursing home. We lived pret

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter