doctor who?

You're Beautiful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When you're glad to see me,

My heart flutters.

It's like walking on a cloud.

Like magic, I'm taking one more step to you.

 

 

"Good morning, Dr. Byun," The receptionist, Hyoyeon, greeted me as I entered Seoul General Hospital. I bowed at her.

"Good morning, Hyoyeon," I greeted back as I made my way to the office.

 

I entered the Department of Surgery and grabbed my white gown. I put it on and sat in my desk, going through some articles on medical procedures before I go through my rounds at 11.

I glanced at the empty desk which was a few tables from mine. I frowned, just the thought of him made me miss him so bad. He's been away for 2 years. He left for military service right after his residency, so I felt alone in the hospital.

 

Waiting. Waiting.

 

I did go to Seoul National University to study medicine with him, but he took neurology and I took up cardiology. We often joked about how it was the exact opposite of each other. He was studying the mind and I was studying the heart.

He graduated a year earlier than me so he could start his residency in Seoul General Hospital. We both agreed to go for that hospital. A year after, I followed.

Both our residencies took up at least 2 years, he finished his and the moment he became a licensed doctor, he went on leave for his military service and I worked on my residency till I became a full-pledged doctor.

That journey really did take a long time but I was still waiting, just as I promised him 9 years ago.

 

I was stil waiting for Oh Sehun.

 

"Dr. Byun?" I looked up to see Nurse Shinhye enter the Surgery office.

"What is it, Nurse?" I asked. "Is something wrong?"

Shinhye nodded. "Dr. Zhang has a family emergency," She explained. "So someone needs to take over his overnight shift. He recommended you, so is that okay?"

I smiled and nodded. "It's okay," I said. "Don't worry about it."

"Okay," Shinhye bowed. "I'll inform Dr. Zhang that you agreed to it. Thank you, Dr. Byun."

 

Nurse Shinhye left the room and my watch beeped, signalling that it was 11 a.m. I sighed and stood up, preparing myself for my patients' rounds.

 

* * * * * * *

 

It was already midnight, but I was relieved that there were no accidents or such that occurred under my jurisdiction. I finished doing the rounds for Dr. Zhang's patients so I was left with nothing to do.

I guess I could take a nap in the doctor's lounge and---

 

"Dr. Byun!" The door burst open and I turned to see a patient, in the wheeling bed, being rushed to the emergency room, lead by Nurse Shinhye. "We have an emergency! A man in his late twenties just experienced hypertension! We need to rush him to the operation room and get his high blood pressure stable."

 

I nodded and ran to the office, grabbing my surgical uniform on the way. I rushed to the surgical room and approached one of the people setting up the operation.

 

"Tell me about the patient," I told the operating assitant, Jiwon. "His medical history, age, status."

"His father also had hypertension," Jiwon explained to me. "He's 28 years old. He actually came here before, experiencing chest pains. Dr. Zhang just gave him some prescriptions.

I nodded. "Okay," I said. "I'll start on the surgery now." I pushed the doors to the emergency room open.

 

There were loads of people gathering and I turned to see the patient covered in blanket, from head-to-toe. The medical staff bowed to me as I entered and I bowed back.

 

"Okay, everyone," I said. "Let's save this patient!"

 

I approached the operating table, removing the blanket so I could see the patient but what I saw wasn't something that I expected.

Instead of an unconscious, high blood-prone patient, I saw the love of my life alive, well and smil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter