The Will

Student Council

With final exams coming up, I’ve been spending more and more time with Jungkook as he was, in fact he perfect study buddy. Working with him was unbearable, to be polite, but being around him felt safe and warm. I understood why his father tended to pull him away for school once every couple of months. I realized that Jungkook, who tended to get distracted by the smallest things, wasn’t meant for conventional schooling. Although bright and smart, he struggled to connect concepts and I, as his tutor, found that intriguing. But, as his girlfriend, I found that extremely frustrating.

“Jungkook!” I threw my eraser at him as he had fallen asleep on our research while I went to the library to grab a book.

“Oh hey,” he sat up like nothing happened. As upset and frustrated I was with him, I couldn’t help but laugh at him since he had a sticky note stuck on his cheek. I don’t remember ever laughing this hard before.

“That’s it, you’ve broken her.” Hoseok-sunbae walked by and removed the sticky note from his cheek before returning to his own work space.

“What’s so funny?” Jungkook asked me as I struggled to compose myself.

“You can fall asleep anywhere, can’t you?” I laughed. The situation itself wasn’t all that funny but for some reason, seeing the usually arrogant and obnoxious Jungkook as just some guy with a sticky note on his face put a smile on my face.

“Are we done yet?” Jungkook exhaled. Turning my wrist over to check the time, I nodded and agreed that we had… or rather, I had studied enough. Jungkook had given up a while ago and he patiently waited for me to be done as well. “So do you want to go out for dinner or something?” he asked me as we walked through the school. Trying to hide the massive smile across my face, I nodded.

After a nice little dinner, Jungkook offered to walk me home and again, I quickly came up with an excuse so he wouldn’t have to see my little shack of a home. I’ve played this part for so long, I couldn’t just give it up now.

The moment I walked through the front door, I noticed an extra pair of shoes in the doorway. They were way too fancy to be my dad’s shoes… What’s going on?

“Mom, dad, I’m home!” I called and turned the corner to find them staring at me along with a third person, dressed in a suit, sitting at our dinner table. “What’s all this?” I ask with a smile on my face which quickly faded after I noticed the worried looks splattered across my parents’.

“Come sit down, honey, we have some stuff to talk about.” My mom said gently, leading me to sit across from the man.

“Hello Euijin, I am your grandfather’s lawyer and I am here delivering his will.” He explained as I let out a light laugh

"That’s not possible, both my grandfathers passed away when I was a kid.” I smiled which again, faded as the man cleared his throat.

“Excuse me, let me start again. I’m here representing your birth grandfather.” he said. I felt a lump in my throat form as I processed the words ‘birth grandfather’, what’s that supposed to mean? I looked desperately at my parents for them to say something as my heart sank to the pit of my stomach.

Finally, my mom spoke up, “I’m sorry we didn’t tell you this earlier Euijin. We were going to tell you when you turned 18 but...” she started before explaining the rest of the story.

The short story: I’m adopted.

The long story: My parents really were in business, in fact, they were CEOs of two of the most prominent companies in Seoul - So I guess the half-lie I told Soyeon and Sumin wasn’t a lie at all, funny. It all seems like such a typical plot from a Korean drama. While on a business trip, my parents’ plane crashed while I was left with my grandfather – the one with this will. The problem was that my grandfather didn’t want me because I wasn’t the male heir he had wanted to carry on the empire he had worked so hard to build. Apparently, my grandmother wanted to keep me, bless her soul. She fought to keep me and promised to bring me up to be a successful heiress but alas, my apparently strong-willed grandfather didn’t want to put that much time into me.

I was on the verge of being put up for adoption when a friend of my parents’ stepped in (all four of them, hah, I’m confused too) and offered to find me a new and permanent home. He gave me to my parents to raise because my mom couldn’t have kids of her own and despite the man offering to give my parents support, financially, they humbly refused as they were happy with me. Happy ending, right?

“Okay, so if he didn’t want to keep me, why am I in his will?” I asked the lawyer. “You weren’t named specifically but he wanted his possessions to remain in the family and you are the only remaining member of his family.” He said, pushing the list of things I would be inheriting. “You just need to sign here and it’ll all be yours.” He smiled and handed me the pen.

I read the list of posessions but my eyes began to blur and the room began spinning. “This is too much.” I stood up and excused myself for a moment outside. All I wanted was to get away from this whole situation. This can't be... This is a joke right? I thought as I tried to process what had just happened. Wait… my mom said she used to be a maid for the ambassador of South Korea to England. This can’t be… does he know? Has he known all along?

I ran to Jungkook’s house and bashed on the door until his butler answered. Before he could even greet me, I asked, “Where’s Jungkook?” he led me to Jungkook’s music room and I burst in through the doors.

“Euijin! What a pleasant surprise!” he said with a massive smile, setting down his guitar to give me a hug, giving me an opening to slap him across the face.

“You knew?!” I yelled as he held his face, “Is that why you made me your Platinum? Because you pity me?” I denied him any attempt at answering, “Was my scholarship all a set up too? This was your plan all along! Isn’t it bad enough to find out that my parents aren’t my real parents but that my real parents are dead and my own grandfather, who’s also dead, didn’t want me? But on top of all this, my own boyfriend KNEW and acted like he knew nothing!” I ranted while tears started pouring from my eyes.

Jungkook pulled me into his arms and let me sob against his shoulder. Now I also feel bad for slapping him and hurting him. “I’m sorry, Euijin,” he said gently, “I’m selfish. I thought that if I told you, you would hate me but it seems like this was inevitable.”

“Idiot.” I mumbled, my tears beginning to soak through his black tshirt.

“Oh my sweet Eui, I’m sorry,” he hugged me tighter, calling me by a name I’ve only heard in my dreams.


NOTE: BOOM THERE IT IS
Sorry, I just wanted to say that...