Are You In?

Student Council

“Euijin!” Jungkook caught up to me one day after school. I was surprised since I usually see him get picked up every day. “Where’s your ride?” I asked him without breaking my stride. It was days like these that I wish my bike hadn’t been so worn down to the point where I couldn’t ride it without the chains coming off every time I pedaled. “Oh, I told Taehoon-hyung that I’d be walking home. He was skeptical but I’m pretty sure I can find my way home,” He smiled at me as I continued walking onwards, “So… are you going to be my Platinum or not?” he asked me and I finally stopped my strides. “That title is stupid,” I said, looking down at my feet, “you guys don’t even do anything, why do you need someone to mediate your debates that don’t happen?” I ranted and I heard Jungkook let out a sigh.

“Maybe if you came to some actual meetings, you’ll see that we actually do discuss issues,” he said as I heard him biting his teeth while trying not to get angry at me. “What issues?” I half-screamed, “You don’t even go to class, how do you even know what’s going on in your school if you don’t actually participate?” I finally looked up to see that he was glaring at me the whole time. “Open your eyes, Euijin!” he yelled back, “Do you see all the clubs and teams that go on here? They exist because of us! Their funding, their approved activities, we handle all of that because we fought for those rights to represent the students.” He said aggressively while lurching his head towards me.

Although that made sense in my mind, I still don’t agree with the lack of democracy among the Council. I tried to walk away but Jungkook tugged at my wrist and spun me around to face him. “Look, I didn’t mean to yell and you don’t have to be my Platinum but I would still love for you to be my girlfriend.” He said gently with his hands resting on my hips. It was almost as though he wasn’t just angry with me a few seconds ago. “Sometimes, Jungkook, I like you,” I said as I took his hands off my hips, “but at other times, I don’t and that’s why I’m hesitant.” And walked away from him.

I thought I had gotten away but once again, his persistence caught up with me and he put his arm over my shoulders and walked with me. “Platinum is a special title, Euijin, there’s a reason why only one has been named before you,” he said seriously but sincerely, “The Platinum is the centerpiece of Student Council, the Platinum completes Council in a way.” He explained in a way that still irked me. “Why must you make me seem like some trophy up on a pedestal?” I asked as he chuckled. “Because you are? You know how hard I worked to get you to like me?” he joked as I rolled my eyes, “But honestly, not anyone can be Platinum.” He said.

Despite his efforts to persuade me to accepting my role as Platinum, I still couldn’t bring myself to go against my morals to please him. “I’ll be Platinum on one condition.” I said as he raised his eyebrows at me, “What is it?” he asked. “You run a poll to ask the students whether or not they want to re-elect their class representative.” I proposed and I saw his face contort. I could see what was going across his mind, weighing out how much he wants to be with me over the balance of the Student Council and their students. “Fine.” He said confidently as my own face contorted into a look of confusion. As ecstatic as I was that some sort of democratic process was about to happen, I was also surprised that he would allow me to call this decision.

When my proposition was brought up to the Student Council the next day, everyone looked at me and nodded with smiles across their faces. “Why are all of you smiling at me? I thought you would all be mad at me.” I said nervously. “No way, Euijin, it’s a great idea. We haven’t done a survey of satisfaction per se for a while.” Namjoon-sunbae said eloquently. “That’s the decision a Platinum would make.” Seokjin-sunbae smiled and pulled me into a side hug as Jungkook looked on proudly. What just happened?