After Midnight

Student Council

Would it be extremely cheesy to say that our kiss was all I could think about for the next few days? I sat through class with a massive smile on my face with my eyes glazed over. I felt like a real-life Cinderella and although I hated that this was all playing out like those annoying romantic animes, I feel like this is all one amazing dream. “Euijin-sshi…” I heard someone say into my ear. I shook the daze from my head and saw Sumin and Soyeon smugly looking at me. “What?” I say as their smirks spread even wider. “Spill, Platinum!” They pulled chairs over to my desk and planted themselves in front of me.

I struggled to put it all into words. From the present to Boram and Jiyong-unnie to the whole party, it was all so amazing. “The best way I could say is that I felt like Daisy from the Great Gatsby except I’m not a massive dimwit,” I said as both of them cocked their heads to the side, “I felt like a princess.” I summed it up as they both squealed in excitement. They pummeled me with questions and I tried my best to answer them. “How hot did Suga look?” Soyeon sighed as Sumin giggled at her hopeless friend. “He was very handsome but Seokjin-sunbaenim looked like a prince!” I said as they listened intently.

“Jin-hyung is far from prince-like,” Jungkook said over us. We all turned to look at him and while my friends greeted him, I just gawked at him with a smile plastered across my face. “Good morning to you too, Euijin.” He chuckled before turning to leave the room with his bag slung over his shoulder. “Where are you going?” I stood up and half-yelled at him. “Student Council meeting. Come if you want, you are Platinum of course,” he said with a wink and walked past the teacher on his way out. Soyeon and Sumin returned to their desks but the looks on their faces urged me to follow him out. “Miss Hwang?” The teacher said to me. Panicked, I grabbed my bag and quickly walked out of the room, “excuse me.”

By the time I made it into the hallway, Jungkook was already gone. I made my way to the Student Council room and found him in his chair, reading yet another book – I swear he went through one once a week but I’m not sure if he ever finished one. Anyway, I slowly stepped in and was instantly greeted by all the Council members the moment I crossed the track of the door. Jimin and Taehyung ran up to me, “Our moms would love to represent you, they think you could be really successful under their agency.” They said as Jungkook pushed them away, “their moms are great but you can do better than being a model,” he smiled.

It took me awhile to get over the compliment which is getting harder and harder these days. “So what does the platinum do?” I asked Jungkook as he looked to Namjoon for an answer. The President peered away from his textbook and looked over at me, “The Platinum is our mediator essentially. The Platinum brings up issues that we overlook and has final say over almost everything.” He explained. “You can’t possibly support this so-called ‘system’ used to build the Student Council,” I rolled my eyes at him. “I agree, it’s not democratic but I wouldn’t say we don’t deserve our positions. There are students qualified to do our jobs but we were chosen because the main authority figures of this school trust us and respect our opinions.” He said eloquently as I grumpily agreed.

The way he explained it made sense but I still don’t believe in this autocratic system. My role as Platinum seems to be the check and balance in what would be a democracy but at the same time, it just seems like a placeholder of some sort. Despite how special it makes me feel, it still makes me uncomfortable to think that I was chosen rather than elected fairly.

After that crash course in my role as Platinum, I still felt a bit sick to my stomach about how this whole Student Council was run. All they ever seem to do is sit around in their extremely well furnished room, go to class when they feel like it and literally do (pardon my language) -all.


AN: Thank you for your patience over the past few days! I'm both excited and sad to say that I have begun writing the end of this story. BUT I'm thinking of writing a sequal as I want to push Euijin to her best. At the moment though, I'm struggling to push this plot towards the penultimate so bare with me. Once again, thank you for reading this story and subscribing!