Synapses Connect

Student Council

In the morning, as promised, Jungkook came with a car to pick us up along with the rest of the boys. They all helped to bring our bags to the trailer with the rest of the luggage. I knew that Soyeon would jump at the opportunity to sit beside Suga-sunbae on the way up so I tried my best to get Sumin to sit with Taehyung-sunbae. “Excited?” Jungkook exhaled while wrapping his arm around my waist.

“I am, actually,” I smiled up at him, “but I have a favour to ask…” and leaned up to whisper into his ear. Opposite to Soyeon, Sumin was the shy and observant one out of the three of us. She would be happy just to be near Taehyung-sunbae for the next few days but I wanted to give her a little push.

“Really? Tae is a bit slow when it comes to these kinds of things,” Jungkook chuckled as I elbowed him in the side to get him to behave, “Okay, you’re lucky that I always have a plan.” He smirked. I don’t know what he meant by that but I guess it was something along the lines of talking his way through to the resolution… my resolution. And he succeeded. Sumin was seated beside Taehyung-sunbae, sure she looked uncomfortable but it was a 2-hour drive, she can’t stay stiff for the whole time. And of course, I sat next to Jungkook… and Jimin-sunbae. Maybe I should sit closer to Jungkook…

Throughout the trip I kept glancing back at Sumin and Taehyung but no matter what, she still looked uncomfortable while Taehyung-sunbae seemed to be completely unaware that he was sitting next to her. “This is so painful to watch,” I whispered to Jungkook, “Do something!” I nudged at him, waking him up from his daze.

Listening to my command, he turned around, “Hey Tae-hyung!” he poked at him, “Euijin tells me that Sumin-sshi visits Japan a lot. You should ask her about it since you always talk so much about it.” He said coolly before turning to me and smirking. Instantly, the two of them started going on and on about Japan and Sumin really lightened up and slowly became the Sumin I know and adore. “You’re welcome,” he smiled at me.

“You’re so full of yourself,” I smile back and lean my head on his shoulder. My nervousness about being around Jimin-sunbae didn’t seem to matter with Jungkook there beside me. As much as he annoyed me sometimes… or rather, most of the time, he was still the one that makes me feel the most safe and at ease.

The whole time we were in the van, Soyeon was talking at Suga-sunbae without much response from him. So again, Jungkook intervened, “Hey Suga-hyung, let the girl catch her breath and talk back!” he yelled to the back of the van.

“Jungkookie! Stop butting into people’s lives!” he yelled back, causing Soyeon to stop talking out of embarrassment, “Don’t listen to him,” Suga-sunbae said gently to her, “I like hearing you talk.” He smiled kindly and I looked back in time to see Soyeon’s face full of pure joy.

When we arrived at our destination, everyone filed out of the van and breathed in the crisp mountain air. I, on the other hand, stood in awe at the overwhelmingly beautiful mountain lodge nestled between some pine trees. It was unreal and yet here I am. “Hey,” Jungkook snapped his fingers in front of my face, “Come on, everyone’s inside claiming their rooms already.” He laughed before taking my hand and pulled me into the house. The interior of the house was even more beautiful than the external. It looked like a mountain lodge that I had only read about in books and seen photos of: tall fireplace constructed of rock, the softness of the woods sprawling throughout the house, and the cozy furniture. It seems unreal. “I know, my parents really like British interior designs.” Jungkook nudged me.

Before I could say anything to him, Soyeon and Sumin pulled me away into what they claimed as the girls’ room, also the biggest room in the house. They both squealed with excitement at what happened on the way up here and my ears were filled with all the little details about everything. I was glad that I could help them get closer to the ones that they like but it also worries me to think that because of that, they won’t be spending as much time with me during this trip. “You and Jungkook were looking comfortable,” Soyeon giggled.

“I was just tired, plus it’s not like I could have leaned against Jimin-sunbae,” I shrugged as both of them laughed, “shut up, we’re here because of Jungkook and I don’t know, I just feel like I can relax around him… even if he gets on my nerves sometimes.” I sighed and they both let out a harmonized ‘aw’.

After dinner, we all got changed into our pajamas and crowded around the fireplace. The crackling brought a calmness to the night that even managed to keep Hoseok-sunbae at bay along with Taehyung-sunbae and Jimin-sunbae. “Who wants some hot chocolate?” I asked everyone and everyone raised their hands. Though insisting on doing it myself, Jungkook jumped up and helped.

“Why do you seem so anxious?” he asked me as we pulled enough mugs for everyone from the cupboards. I tried climbing up to grab some but he gently pulled me down and set me on my feet before reaching up for the mugs.

“I’m not,” I said while dumping hot chocolate mix into each mug and Jungkook raised his eyebrows at me, “I’m really not, I’ve just never stayed somewhere without my parents,” I half-lied and he let out his obnoxious laugh that I both love and hate.

“Is that all?” he smiled as the kettle whistled with boiling water, “It’s just like sleeping at home… but you’re not. A bed is a bed, the location shouldn’t matter.” He tried comforting me as he poured the hot water into each mug.

“Thanks captain obvious,” I said sarcastically and mixed the drinks.

“What I meant was that it’s going to be a fun few days and you shouldn’t worry about the little things. Just have fun and it’ll seem like this anxiety you’re having never happened.” He comforted me properly and put down the kettle before wrapping me in his arms with a hug. “You can always come into my bed if you can’t sleep,” he joked and I pushed him away.

“In your dreams,” I smirked at him and walked out with the tray of hot chocolate.


A/N: Thanks for your patience while I had techinical issues with my laptop. I'm up and running again with a temporary laptop though! To thank you for your patience, I will be posting another chapter in a few hours!! Again, thank you for your patience xoxo