The Day I Began To Let Go

The Day I Let You Go

Woo Bin took off his jacket and quickly put it on Ji Hyo. They both ran back towards the vehicle for shelter and waited until the rain stop to pour. At the passenger seat, Ji Hyo leaned her head against the window while her vision wandered all over the area like a lost child. Her mind went blank again. Her heart felt a sudden sadness - not because of the memory from the accident, but the strange feeling of 'losing' someone she loves. 'What is wrong with me? Why do I feel this way?' her inner voice began to question randomly. Ji Hyo closed her eyes to calm down her emotion, but then she felt too tired to stay awake due to the coldness of the air and the long silence between them.

 

Gazing at the woman next to him, Woo Bin was reminded of the words from the late Joong Ki, "Do you know how I fall for her? While she was sleeping." For the second time, he had to admit that it was the same reason that he learnt to love her. Though it began with a brief introduction at Joong Ki's funeral, Ji Hyo was the only woman who has caught his attention as a man. Therefore he prayed really hard for time to stop ticking, so she will forever be his companion. Woo Bin knew that his heart will never stop beating for his fiancée, and that feeling was getting stronger everytime he thought of their moments together. But Woo Bin was quick to realize that he's no longer 'exist' in her mind. "Jagiya.. mianhae. I know I've promised to stay by your side, but right now your heart is not mine to keep. Please be happy on your wedding day.. because you deserve it more than anyone else in this world. Saranghae.. my Ji Hyo," he spoke the words softly, then sealed them with a gentle kiss on her cheek.

 

Right after that, Ji Hyo slowly opened her eyes. Afraid that she would be furious with the affection that he gave her, Woo Bin immediately retreated and pretended to stare outside of the window. "Woo Bin ssi.." she called his name, so the driver turned his face towards her and said, "Ne?". "It's really cold in here. Could you take me to your place for a while? I need to change my clothes," Ji Hyo seek for his kindness and he nodded without hesitation. Woo Bin's heart was fluttered wildly by the thought of taking her back to their home, where pictures of them were visible almost everywhere within the house. He was so worried about her reaction if she sees the photos from their past, and he began to find ways to respond to her should she seek for an explanation.

 

"Gomabta," Ji Hyo broke the silence and brought back Woo Bin to the current situation. "For what?" he asked. "For comforting me from the 'painful' memory," she replied, and this time she said it in a nice way. From the corner of his eyes, he noticed that the woman was gazing at him. Woo Bin smiled to hide his anxiety - wondering if her appreciation was only temporary or because she felt guilty towards him. "Gwaenchanayo?" he made an attempt to strike a conversation. Ji Hyo nodded, then she looked down at her shoes. The woman let out a heavy sigh as she shared her concern with him, "Honestly.. I have a second thought about the wedding."

 

Woo Bin was extremely surprised by her honest confession, "Wae geu rae? Are you nervous?". Ji Hyo took a deep breath as she searched for a better explanation to describe her growing doubt. Not to Woo Bin's knowledge, she only pretended to fall asleep when he left a gentle kiss on her cheek. Ji Hyo clearly heard everything that he told her, and now she felt sorry for the man who seems to keep important details about her past. "Woo Bin ssi.. just tell me, am I making a right decision to marry Joong Ki?" Ji Hyo abruptly asked. She waited patiently for his feedback, but Woo Bin just stay silence until they reached the housing area. "I'm not the best person to give you the answer.. but I can give you a simple advice if you want," he said while focusing his attention on the road.

 

"What is it?" Ji Hyo was ready to listen. "You should always trust your heart.. because that's where the love begins," Woo Bin replied as he stold a glance at her. He steered the vehicle to the left and entered the front yard of 'their' house. Ji Hyo was amazed by the beautiful garden surrounding the area, but the most captivating scenery for her was a mini fountain located at the center of the front lawn. 'Jagiya.. do you remember how much you love the fountain that I made for you?' the question prompted in his mind, and a smile appeared on his face when he saw the way Ji Hyo stared at her 'favourite' decoration. "Your house is very beautiful. Do you live here alone?" Ji Hyo asked, not knowing that she was also 'part' of the house member.

 

At that time, his inner voice wanted to tell her the truth, 'Ahneeoh! This is our home, jagiya! You're always welcome here.' Instead, he plainly replied, "I used to have a roomate, but she has moved out recently." Ji Hyo nodded and blurted out her conclusion, "I see.. so that explains the 'feminine' decoration of this house. Interesting! I love what she did with the garden."

 

Her comments reminded him of a more important thing to do before she entered the house. "Ji Hyo aah.. would you mind waiting here for a while? My living room was quite a mess since she left, so I need to 'fix' it quickly. I'll let you know when I'm done." Woo Bin rushed in through the main door and immediately scanned the room for her photos. He removed all the 'evidence' about their relationship from the visible places - not wanting to trigger unnecessary confusion to Ji Hyo which might led to another argument with her and affected the health of her mind. Because he loved her so much, all he cared about was the woman's happiness. If 'Joong Ki' is the one who remained in her heart, then Woo Bin was willing to do anything to bring her closer to her 'first love' even he had to sacrifice his own future with Ji Hyo.

 

About 10 minutes later, Woo Bin was ready to welcome his 'guest' into the house and showed her the way to the bathroom. "You can change your clothes in here. I'll be in the kitchen," he said while giving her a pair of jeans and a t-shirt from 'her closet'. After she has refreshed herself, Ji Hyo went to find Woo Bin in the kitchen. She saw him preparing two hot Americano for them, so she decided to help him with cleaning up the kitchen. "Strange.. your roomate has the same size of clothing as me. Does she like Americano too?" Ji Hyo's curiosity was expanding when she sense that she has a lot in common with Woo Bin's roomate.

 

"Ah yeah, what a coincidence!" Woo Bin fake a laugh while he gave Ji Hyo her drink. They headed to the living room and took a seat on the couch - enjoying the taste of a freshly brewed coffee while continued with the heart-to-heart conversation. "Woo Bin ssi, do you.. like me as a woman?" her question gave him goosebumps, so Woo Bin took some time to think. Carefully he responded to her query, "Well.. I could never hate you, Song Ji Hyo. So I don't have a reason not to 'like' you." "You mean as a woman?" she emphasized, to which he replied, "Ne, as a woman.. and a friend."