The Day I Let You Go

The Day I Let You Go

He's dead. Joong Ki's dead. 

 

It was just yesterday that they got to talk about their wedding plan - the theme of the event, the people that they want to invite, and the size of their wedding cake. He looked forward to spend the rest of his life with her, and she was very excited to officially become his wife. But fate was too cruel to the bride-to-be. It didn't want her to experience happiness with the man she loved, so he was taken away from her in a freak accident that took his life within a split second. They found him crushed between the driver's seat and the steering wheel with blood dripping off from his forehead, and the final word that he uttered was her name.

 

The memories of Joong Ki had caused her eyes to fill with tears, but Ji Hyo refused to forget about the man who's supposed to be her husband in less than a month. His voice, his smile and his affection towards her were the things that she missed - knowing that they were no longer exist for her. "My dear Ji Hyo.. take good care of yourself for me, because I need you to be safe now and forever," he told her just a couple of days ago. She wasn't sure what he meant back then, but now she understood that he was trying to tell her 'goodbye'. "Joong Ki.. my love. Why did you leave me here all alone? How am I supposed to live another day without you?'' she couldn't stop sobbing as she stood still next to his coffin. At that moment, Ji Hyo hated to see her dead man 'sleeping' peacefully in the 'wooden box'.

 

"How dare you to 'smile' like that when I am suffering like hell because of you?! Wae Joong Ki? Wae?!" many people were caught by surprise when she suddenly screamed over the dead body. Her rebellious behaviour was being observed from afar by one man, and he couldn't help from feeling sorry for her situation. He quietly approached the woman who had never stop crying since he got there - wondering if he could do his best to calm the poor lady. "Joong Ki was a great man, when I didn't have money to buy lunch.. he would split his food and shared it with me," the man casually began the conversation. His plan was successful as it got her attention. Once she managed to control her emotion, Ji Hyo found her voice to speak to the stranger, "Who.. who are you? How do you know my Joong Ki?".

 

He smiled lightly to her, "I'm Woo Bin.. Joong Ki's old friend from high school. Didn't he said anything about me?". Ji Hyo slowly shook her head, but at the same time trying to recall if she had seen him before. As there was no word from her, Woo Bin filled in the silence, "We were quite close as teenagers.. since we're in the same class and shared the same interest." Ji Hyo kept listening as he continued to unfold his story, "When I was 16, my father received a job offer in Busan, so my family and I had to move out from our place. Because of that, I have lost contact with him.. but finally we meet again during our school reunion last Friday."

 

Ji Hyo just realised that Joong Ki did say something to her about his school reunion.

 

"Waa.. you look very happy right now. Did you flirt with anyone at the gathering?" she intentionally asked him with a provocative question. Joong Ki, being sweet as ever, only giggled as he observed her naughty expression. "Ahneeoh my love! Why would I flirt with someone else when I'm about to marry such a beautiful lady like you?" he replied without hesitation. Ji Hyo was very happy with his answer, so she gave him a warm hug. "I miss you already," she made herself comfortable in his arms. Ji Hyo could feel it when his gentle kiss landed on her forehead, and that was something that he's really good at - working his charm on her. "Actually I met my long lost friend at the reunion just now, so I decided to invite him to our wedding," he explained himself to her.

 

"Ah yeah.. he did say something about seeing his old friend, but he didn't share with me the details," Ji Hyo informed Woo Bin as she started to remember her conversation with Joong Ki. The man nodded. For a moment, the two of them were caught in silence as they paid respect to Joong Ki. At that time, Woo Bin suddenly recalled his memory about the reunion.

 

"Waa my long lost brother! How have you been?" Woo Bin couldn't believe that he got to meet up with Joong Ki after years of being apart. The two old friends exchanged hugs and pat on each other's back, expressing their excitement and reminiscing the good old days. "Never been better! I'm getting married!" Joong Ki was very happy as he made the announcement. The news was a surprise to Woo Bin, "Aah.. jinjja? Congratulations! Who's that poor girl?". Joong Ki just laughed at his joke, "Her name is Song Ji Hyo.. and no, she's not my sister!". Woo Bin burst into laughter as he knew that Joong Ki wasn't going to give him a chance to and his future wife. "She must have bad eyes for choosing you as her man," he didn't want to lose to him. "Yaa! I bet you'll change your mind once you meet her," Joong Ki defended his partner.

 

Now that he saw her in person, Woo Bin had to agree with Joong Ki. Ji Hyo was indeed a beautiful lady and he could understand why he had chosen her to be his wife. "Joong Ki was very proud of you.. he truly loves you," Woo Bin told Ji Hyo what he observed about his dear friend. His statement made her drowned in tears, as she never thought that Joong Ki would be so transparent to his friend about their relationship. Feeling guilty for reminding her of her lost, Woo Bin wrapped his arms around Ji Hyo to comfort the lady. "Gwaenchana.. just cried as much as you want," he let the woman to bury her face on his chest and cried her heart out. "I'm not ready to forget him.." her voice was very weak, and she was still sobbing in pain. "I'm sure he didn't want us to forget all about him.. but he would want us to move on and 'live' for the one who loves us," Woo Bin gave his advice.

 

He didn't want to tell her there and then, but Woo Bin was determined to fulfil Joong Ki's last wish. "If anything happens to me, please take good care of my Ji Hyo. I know she'll be happy with you.. so please tell her that my love for her will never die.. even if she choose to stay with you when I'm gone," Joong Ki made him promised to 'protect' his love before he left the gathering, as if he already knew that he would not make it for the wedding. 'My dear brother.. my best friend. Please don't be worried about us. I'll give my everything to love her the way that you did.. so you can rest in peace wherever you are,'  Woo Bin made a vow to himself as he embraced her with all his heart. It was the beginning of their new life - the day they learnt to let go of their past.