The Day He Let Her Go

The Day I Let You Go

He held her gently by the waist, as they danced to the beautiful song that they had chosen for their special day. The soon-to-be-married couple had a bright smile on their face - hardly able to take their eyes off each other. Ji Hyo giggled as he twirled her on the dance floor before he brought her back into his arms. The couple finalized their dance with a simple dip, then ended it by resting their forehead against one another. "Saranghae," he whispered to her, but Ji Hyo responded to him with a laughter. "Yaa.. you should say it back to me the way I did!" the man protested, to which she replied, "I will when we have the real dance on our wedding day."

 

Reminiscing the painful memory had only brought more tears to her eyes. She blamed herself for not telling the man how much she had loved him when she had the chance, and now Joong Ki would never be able to hear the confession of her heart. "Why is it hard for me to let you go? Why can't I love him the way I loved you?" Ji Hyo observed herself in the mirror, but all she could see was the reflection of Joong Ki right before her very eyes. His image disappeared from her vision the moment she tried to reach for it, which reminded Ji Hyo that it was just her illusion of the man. "Focus, Ji Hyo.. focus! You're getting married to Woo Bin in just a few days. Don't let your past get the best of you," the bride-to-be gave herself a piece of advice to help her move on to the next chapter of life.

 

To steer away her thought from remembering Joong Ki, she dragged her feet to the kitchen and made herself a cup of Americano. She took a sip before moving on to the living room, but the tune of her mobile ringtone made her paused for a second. Ji Hyo took out her handphone from the pocket, yet she was contemplating to answer the call from an unknown number. "But who could it be?" she was curious to find out who's on the line, so finally her finger pressed on the answer call button. "Yoboseyo? Miss Song Ji Hyo?" a woman's voice was heard over the phone. Not sure what it's all about, she decided to listen to the caller, "Ne.. can I help you?". The person introduced herself as the sales assistant from the wedding boutique where she bought her dress, and requested for her to return the item to the store due to some error in their record.

 

Innocently, she went to the shop as requested despite having a doubt about the 'error' that the sales person was talking about. Arriving at the location, she placed the dress on the counter and asked for clarification from the staff on duty. "Sillyehamnida, I received a call from one of the assistants asking me to return the dress," Ji Hyo spoke to the person at the counter, when a man suddenly approached from behind and tapped on her shoulder, "Hey.. we meet again! I was wondering if you would be here." She was startled to find that the same man who resembled Joong Ki was now standing in front of her, waiting for her to respond. As her heart was yet to recover from the pain, Ji Hyo wasn't prepared for another 'reunion' with the mysterious doppelganger. So to explain the awkward situation, the man made a confession, "Actually.. there's nothing wrong with your dress. I asked the staff to give you 'that' call, so I can meet you again."

 

"Why would you do that? It's not nice to make fun of others!" Ji Hyo purposely raised her voice to him, however the man only giggled over her reaction. "Mianhae! I don't know how else to find you.. so I asked a favor from my cousin who is the owner of this boutique to search for your details," he said with a smile. Ji Hyo immediately turned away to avoid his stare, which only reminded her more of Joong Ki from the way he smiled at her. "Then I guess we don't have anything important to say to each other. So there's no need for me to be here," Ji Hyo took back her dress and made her move to the exit, but the man quickly blocked her way. "This is exactly why I want to get to know you. You seem to be avoiding me for no reason.. but I can't help from wanting to understand it from your point of view. Also.. we haven't properly introduce ourselves. Hi, my name is Kang Ma-ru.. just call me Ma-ru. And you?"

 

Ignoring his offer to shake hand, Ji Hyo replied coldly to him, "I think you already know my name since you can get my number from your cousin." She barged through the man who followed her closely from behind, heading towards her vehicle which was parked a few blocks away. Woo Bin who coincidently drove along the same street, saw his fiancée being chased by another man. "Ji Hyo? What was she doing.." before he could finish his sentence, Woo Bin was startled by a loud horn coming from a big red truck. While busy observing his bride-to-be, he almost went off the track and about to collide with the truck from the opposite direction. Woo Bin managed to steer his car away from the danger, but unfortunately right before his very eyes the same truck had lost its control and skidded towards Ji Hyo. He screamed her name as loud as he could, only to realize that it was too late to save her from the crash.

 

Fear for the worst, Woo Bin quickly parked his car at the side of the road and ran in panic towards his fiancée who became the victim of his 'careless driving'. A number of people were crowding the crash area, but Woo Bin aggressively pushed himself through the spectators just to get to Ji Hyo as fast as he could. Seeing the 'lifeless' body of his woman, he placed her bleeding head on his lap - crying out her name while trying to get her to regain her conscious. "Ji Hyo aah.. Ji Hyo please! Please open your eyes! Somebody help us! Help us.. please.." he shouted hysterically while holding her body closer to his chest. Ji Hyo's blood had stained his white shirt, yet he refused to let her go. "Don't die on me.. please! You can't leave me like this. I'm sorry.. jagiya.." his voice became weaker and replaced by his uncontrollable tears.

 

"Ji Hyo.. Ji Hyo aah.. you should wake up now. Don't be afraid. I'm here for you," a man's voice was calling her name, so she slowly opened her heavy eyes. Everything was so pure and white, yet she felt so peaceful with her surrounding. Ji Hyo realized that she's in a 'different' place - a place that reunites her with the late Song Joong Ki. Throwing herself at him, she was too happy to have him back in her arms, "I miss you.. please don't leave me again." Joong Ki slid his hands around her waist, as he guided her to 'dance' to their wedding song. "So you should tell me now.. since we're already dancing for our 'special' day," he smiled at her, although she was looking at him with a blank face. "Special day? But that's.."

 

"Impossible? Aren't we already in our wedding attire?" Joong Ki asked, so Ji Hyo immediately checked on her dressing. She was surprised to see herself in a beautiful white wedding gown, which confirmed that Joong Ki was telling the truth. The 'bride' was showered with true happiness as she completed the dance with her partner, moving herself closer to reach his ear and said, "Saranghae.. Song Joong Ki." The man was so happy that he finally got to hear the 'magic word' from the woman he loved, "Thank you for saying it, my Ji Hyo." Although that was her ultimate moment of happiness, she was still confused with the unexplainable situation. "But Joong Ki aah.. where are we right now? Why are we the only one here?"

 

Calmly, Joong Ki held her hands and said, "My love, this is my place now.. in heaven."