The Day I Couldn't Let You Go

The Day I Let You Go

"So we were friends? Is that the reason you came to my engagement party?" Ji Hyo kept on searching for clues from Woo Bin, although she wasn't sure if she had asked the right questions about her past. From the look of his face, she could sense that the man wasn't ready to spill out the truth. She knew that because he was having a hard time to reply to her in an instant. Since Woo Bin reserved his comment, Ji Hyo had to rephrase her questions, "If we're just friends.. then why did you attempted to kiss me?". Woo Bin couldn't find a word to justify his action. He was trapped in the 'fiction' that he created for her, and now Ji Hyo was asking for the truth to be told.

 

"Well I.. I was just.. mianhae," he responded hesitantly.

"You can't keep hiding the fact, Woo Bin ssi. If there's something that I should know before my wedding tomorrow, then you have to tell me right now," she persistently demanding for his explanation.

 

"I don't know how," Woo Bin felt disappointed with himself. He was too afraid that the reality would be a great shock to Ji Hyo, especially if he told her about Joong Ki's death and their wedding plan just a few days before the accident. He knew how much she loves his dear friend, hence revealing the painful 'secret' would definitely broke her heart and affected her sanity. Ji Hyo was too precious for him to 'destroy' her fragile emotion, so Woo Bin was caught in between his own desire to be with the love of his life and preserving her happiness with the man who remained in her thought. "You can start by telling me if we were more than just friends," she connoted.

 

Ji Hyo took a sip from her cup while he prepared to respond to her statement. Woo Bin needed about 10 seconds for him to be ready to speak, "If that's the truth.. would you believe it?".

"My mind might be against it, but you've said to trust my heart instead.. and so I will," Ji Hyo was very firm with her decision.

 

He noticed her determination to erase the doubt that was clouding her thought, yet Woo Bin was 'frozen' from taking any action that would help to translate his feeling for her. Ji Hyo became impatient with the long wait, so she made a bold move by pressing her lips against his own while she touched the fine jawline of the man with her left hand. The kiss was quite natural to her, as if it wasn't the first time that they had been showing some affection towards one another. Because of that, they ended up gazing at each other's eyes - trying to find an explanation for the 'unexpected' kiss.

 

"Ji Hyo ssi.." Woo Bin murmured as he stared at her face in surprise, hoping that he has managed to bring back her memories about their relationship. Her face was painted with confusion, and her breathing became unstable as if she just ran a marathon. Ji Hyo returned to drinking her Americano as a way to reduce her anxiety. She was pretty sure that her heart felt 'something' from the kiss, yet it was difficult for her mind to make any sense of her emotion. Ji Hyo stood up and brought the empty cup to the kitchen, while Woo Bin followed her closely from behind without saying a word. He watched her washing the dirty cups - a scene that was familiar to his eyes when she was living in the house as his future wife.

 

In his mind, Woo Bin imagined having his hands wrapped around her tiny waist as he rested his chin on her shoulder. He wanted to whisper to her ears about how much he loves her, then carry the woman in his arms as he took her back to their room. But the beautiful thoughts were immediately shattered as he received a phone call from Ma-ru, "Yoboseyo, ah yeah.. she's here. Hold on, I'll pass to her. Ji Hyo ssi.. Joong Ki's on the line." Ji Hyo took the phone from Woo Bin and happily chatted with her 'fiancé' for almost 15 minutes. Realizing that his 'presence' was not important to her, Woo Bin decided to walk out from the kitchen and headed towards the couch in the living room. Later she joined him to return his handphone, "Woo Bin ssi.. Joong Ki would like to speak to you."

 

Reluctantly, he began the conversation with Ma-ru, "Yes my friend.. do you need anything?"

"I wanted to take her to the bridal shop today to pick her wedding dress, but she insisted to go there with you. I don't mind about it.. as long as the wedding is still on. But I do hope that you will hold on to your words Woo Bin ssi.. and don't try to take her back as I have decided to make her mine. Arasso?" Ma-ru gave a gentle warning.

"Arasso.. a promise is a promise," Woo Bin sighed as he replied.

 

After he ended up the call, Ji Hyo immediately prompted a question, "So.. did he mentioned about the wedding dress?". Woo Bin nodded weakly and smiled to hide his sorrow, "We should go now before the shop close. Joong Ki will be sad if you attended your wedding in jeans and t-shirt." Ji Hyo giggled as she asked a favor from the man, "You should get yourself a nice suit too, because you're going to be our best man!". Though she made it sounded funny, but little she knew that Woo Bin was deeply hurt by the words that came from . His inner voice kept screaming in sadness, 'Jagiya.. how can I stand there and watch you getting married to another man? Why do you ask me to help you to choose your wedding gown when I know that you will not be my wife?'

 

"Thank you for the kind offer, but I don't think I can attend your wedding tomorrow," he nicely declined. "But why? Do you have anything urgent to be done?" Ji Hyo seek for his explanation. She stared at him with full of hope as she has already informed 'Joong Ki' about her only wish for that special day. Because of the ad-hoc wedding plan, they had to go for a simple ceremony of which Woo Bin shall be the only 'witness' of their marriage. But since he couldn't make it, Ji Hyo wasn't able to hide her frustration towards the man. "Mianhae.. I really wish that I could be there for your 'big day', but I'll be travelling to Japan tomorrow for work purposes and only be back in two weeks time," Woo Bin had to make up a good excuse to convince Ji Hyo without revealing his real 'pain'.

 

Letting out a heavy sigh, Ji Hyo had to accept his excuse though she has her own reason for inviting him to the wedding. "Geurae, let's just go and hunt for the best wedding dress in town. It's good that I'll be going with you.. because people say that it's bad luck for the groom-to-be to look at his fiancée in her wedding dress before the wedding itself," she replied. His heart skipped a beat the moment he heard the word 'bad luck' and the fact that he will be 'watching' his fiancée in her wedding gown before they had the chance to recite their marriage vows. 'Jagiya.. is this a sign that we are not meant to be together? Should I do something to stop the wedding from happening?' Woo Bin reflected his decision before it was too late for him to regret.