The Day They Had To Let Go

The Day I Let You Go

"Can I stay with you?" she was hopeful that he would say 'yes' to her question, but instead he refused her without hesitation. Though he took a step back and left a small gap between them, Ji Hyo drew herself closer to him by wrapping her arms around his body. She dumped her face on his chest with tears falling down from her eyes, as if they would never stop flowing. Ji Hyo felt the warmth of Joong Ki's hand running through her hair as he returned the hug to her. "Gwaenchana.. I'll take you with me when you're ready," he told her and left a kiss on her cheek. Slowly they let their hands off each other and shared a deep stare. Joong Ki tilted Ji Hyo's face as he spoke calmly to her, "Close your eyes.. and remember this." Obediently, she followed his instruction and let him kissed her forehead with her eyes closed.

 

All of the sudden, she heard her name being called over and over again. The voice doesn't belong to Joong Ki, so she couldn't tell who that person was and why she's being summoned by the stranger. Her eyes felt so heavy as if something was blocking her eyelids. She tried again. Though it was easier this time, but a bright light immediately penetrated her eye balls like a sharp razor - making it difficult for her to focus on her vision. Ji Hyo saw a blurry image of a man standing next to her, so she immediately popped the first question that was haunting her mind, "Where am I?". Instead of getting an answer, the person grabbed her hand and intertwined with her fingers like they've known each other for years. She felt a warm pair of lips gently touched the back of her hand, yet she couldn't tell why she deserved it.

 

"Welcome home, my love. Bogoshipeo," Woo Bin couldn't wait to say those words to his fiancée who had been in a 'deep sleep' for almost 3 days after the major surgery. Because of the accident, the wedding that was supposed to be held on that day had to be postponed until the bride-to-be has fully recovered. Still in a confusion state, Ji Hyo asked another question to the man, "Is my wedding still on?". Woo Bin chuckled as he took it as a joke, "Omo.. I can't believe that you were still thinking about the wedding in this situation. You must be desperately in love with me." "What do you mean? Where's my fiancé?" Ji Hyo was trying to comprehend the man's reaction. Again, Woo Bin thought she was teasing him, "Jagiya.. can't you see that I'm right in front of you? Should I give you a kiss to prove it?".

 

He startled when she screamed as he tried to kiss her on the lips, so immediately Woo Bin retreated himself from his fiancée. "Yaa! Who are you?! Where's my Joong Ki?!" Ji Hyo shouted like a mad person, trying to save herself from the 'strange man' that she couldn't remember at all. The way she reacted made Woo Bin's eyes got bigger, as he was confused when she mentioned Joong Ki's name and failed to recognize him as her fiancé. He felt something different about Ji Hyo, so Woo Bin decided to leave her alone and searched for the doctor who treated his fiancée. After making an appointment, he finally got the chance to talk to the expert himself, "Doctor, what is wrong with my fiancée? Why can't she remember me?".

 

The doctor took his time to analyze the patient's file before he replied, "The head trauma might have led to a temporary lost of memory.. but I need to assess her condition to confirm that." "Mwo? Lost of memory? But how come she remembers about her previous fiancé.. and the wedding?" Woo Bin had lost his patience and demanded for more explanation. Instead of responding to his queries, the doctor asked for some details from Woo Bin, "Right before the accident.. was there something that could have distracted her mind? Like.. an unexpected encounter with her previous fiancé?". 

 

"But that can't be! Her previous fiancé.." at first Woo Bin refused to accept the explanation because he knew Joong Ki is dead, but slowly he regained the memory about the incident that he wished to forget. On that day, he saw someone was chasing Ji Hyo, which later distracted his focus on his driving. The rest of the story was the hardest part for him to remember, so he skipped to the very end of the day when he was holding her lifeless body. Suddenly Woo Bin realized something - he saw him. He saw a familiar face among the crowd, but decided to ignore it as he thought it was merely his imagination caused by his guilt. "Gomabta, doctor! I think I know what to do," he shook hand with the person and immediately left the place.

 

In his car, Woo Bin's mind was filled with questions that he couldn't answer. He wanted to believe his memory, but still he doubt that the person he saw on that day was really Joong Ki. Although he wasn't sure how to find his 'dead friend', Woo Bin assumed that the bridal shop is the place that would lead him to the mysterious man. "Ji Hyo had her wedding dress with her when she was chased by the person, so he must have been following her from the shop," Woo Bin made his own conclusion as he parked his car near to the 'crash scene'.

 

He was greeted by one of the shop assistants as he stepped into the building. Without wasting a minute, Woo Bin took out his phone and showed a picture of Joong Ki to the staff, "Do you know this man?". The lady took a good look at the photo and immediately recognized him, "Ne.. he's a relative to the owner of this boutique." Hearing the explanation from the staff was a great surprise to Woo Bin, so he continued with his interrogation. "Omo.. is he.. I mean.. what's his name?" he was stucked with words for a while.

 

The lady introduced the man as Kang Ma-ru, a young bachelor who just returned to Korea after finishing his Master Degree in London. Woo Bin requested for his contact details, but since the staff refused to reveal the information to him, he gently seek for her assistance to call Kang Ma-ru directly from the bridal shop. "Yoboseyo? Kang Ma-ru ssi? Can we have a talk?" Woo Bin was nervous to begin the conversation, but he had to do it for the sake of the woman he loved. He invited the man to meet up at a place nearby after introducing himself as the fiancé of the woman who involved in the accident near to the bridal shop, and he accepted.

 

After 20 minutes of waiting in the cafe, finally Woo Bin got to meet eye-to-eye with the man named Kang Ma-ru. He was stunned by the similarities between the man and Joong Ki, that he almost had forgotten the reason for their meeting. "Sorry for your lost.. but how's she?" Ma-ru shared his sympathy after he learnt about Joong Ki, but he couldn't hide his sorrow for the misfortune that has befallen Ji Hyo. Woo Bin was hesitated as he had to explain the hardest part, "She made through the surgery, but.. I can't help her to recover. My presence will only make things worse for her.. which is why I need to see you as soon as possible." Ma-ru was confused with Woo Bin's request, so he seek for clarification from him, "But what can I do for you? I barely know her.. and I don't think she'll like me to get close to her."

 

Reluctantly, Woo Bin asked,  "Ma-ru ssi.. do you like Ji Hyo? Would you like to get to know her?". Again, the man was surprised by the 'offer' that he got from the groom-to-be. "Would you be mad if I say yes?" Ma-ru felt nervous to ask that question. But Woo Bin continued to surprise him when the man suddenly kneeled down at his feet. "Kang Ma-ru ssi..  please take care of Ji Hyo for me, because you're the one who can be her 'Song Joong Ki'.. no matter how long it will be," Woo Bin pleaded with a heavy heart.