The Day She Let Them Go

The Day I Let You Go

On her third day at the hospital, an old couple came into her room - bringing a food container and a basket of fruits. The woman who was in her early 60s, smiled at the patient as she greeted her, "How's my future daughter-in-law? Have you eaten your lunch? We brought your favourite soup if you would like to have some." As she wasn't familiar with their faces, Ji Hyo assumed that her 'visitors' mistook her for someone else, "Mianhae, I think you've got the wrong person. Perhaps you should check in the next room." "Omo! Ji Hyo aah.. don't you recognize us? We're Woo Bin's parents!" the old man blinked his eyes in disbelief. His wife became speechless - they saw the confusion in Ji Hyo's eyes when their son's name was being mentioned.

 

"Woo Bin's parents? But what.. I mean.." she paused for a while to inhale deeply before she continued, "I'm sorry if he forced you to come.. but honestly, I don't have any connection to your family." Ji Hyo made it clear that she didn't want to be associated with the man who 'betrayed' his own friend by 'flirting' with her while Joong Ki wasn't around. Till now, the act of Woo Bin's attempt to kiss her kept haunting her emotion and added her guilt towards Joong Ki. Ji Hyo didn't want her fiancé to think that she was cheating on him, so the best way out was to avoid from having any form of relationship with Woo Bin or his family. However, the old couple seemed to be offended by her words, and they began to raise their voice at her.

 

"Mworago? We're just outsiders to you?!" shouted the old man.

"Yaa! Are you planning to break off the engagement?! Is that how you're going to 'pay' for our kindness?!" his wife also burst into anger.

 

Seeing their explosive reaction made Ji Hyo's mind went busy to understand the whole situation. All she knows that Joong Ki is her one man, while Woo Bin is just a total stranger. In her heart, she believed that the 'devious' man had leveraged on his old parents to deceive her into accepting his presence in her life. The same thought made her despised him more, so Ji Hyo's behavior became colder towards Woo Bin's family. "I don't mean to be rude, but I'm already engaged to someone.. so Woo Bin should respect my relationship and please don't force me to accept him," her voice was strong and firm. The old man was fired up by her sharp response, "Yaa! What kind of a woman are you?! How dare you to betray my son?!".

 

"Appa, eomma! What are you doing here?" Woo Bin rushed into the room after he received the text message from his parents about their intent to visit Ji Hyo at the hospital. He was hoping to stop them from seeing her, but he was too late. It seems like the 'war' has been declared, so Woo Bin decided to convince his parents to leave the place with him. "Andwae! We're not leaving until she explained herself!" his mother protested and his father supported. Ji Hyo became furious with the 'drama' in her room as she couldn't hold her anger any longer, "Yaa! How many times do I have to say that I'm not related to your son! Get out from here before my fiancé return!". The old man refused to give up. With his left hand holding Woo Bin's wrist and his right hand's finger pointing to his son, he exaggerated the truth, "Take a good look at this man! If he is not your fiancé.. then tell me who is?!"

 

Before Ji Hyo could say anything, Woo Bin immediately dragged his parents towards the exit of the room. He bowed his head to her and said, "Mianhae.. I didn't mean to disturb you. We're leaving now." Although he managed to grab his father along with him, Woo Bin's mother was able to free herself from his grip and marched towards Ji Hyo. She took out a piece of photo from her handbag and threw it to Ji Hyo's face as she screamed at her, "I hope this will remind you of the man that you've cheated!". Once Woo Bin and his parents were no longer in sight, Ji Hyo picked up the picture that was thrown at her. She blinked her eyes several times as she looked at the photo in her hand. Ji Hyo had to scan the image carefully just to ensure that it was an original picture of her and Woo Bin - taken during what it seems to be their 'engagement ceremony'.

 

'This picture.. it can't be..' her heart began to fill with doubt. If previously she was very sure that Joong Ki is her fiancé, but now Ji Hyo didn't know what to believe anymore. While her eyes were staring deeply at the pair of rings that were on hers and Woo Bin's fingers in the photo, suddenly she had a flashback about the event. On that day, many people attended the ceremony held at a beautiful ballroom. There were music being played while everyone was enjoying their drinks or simply chatting with each other. Ji Hyo could 'see' herself walking into the hall in a stunning white dress - approaching a man who was waiting for her at the front area of the ballroom. Somehow the face of that man was still blurry to her, yet Ji Hyo couldn't erase his words as he spoke to her, "Wow! You're truly a beauty queen.. my love. Can I call you my jagiya from this moment on?".

 

Suddenly her head felt heavy and the picture accidentally escaped from her grip. A few seconds later, Ma-ru entered into the room with a smile on his face. "How's my pretty lady? Do you miss me?" he giggled happily as he approached his 'fiancée'. Ji Hyo immediately hid the picture under her pillow, but then Ma-ru saw the food container and the basket of fruits that were left on the side table. "Did anyone came while I was gone?" Ma-ru became curious. To avoid from arousing suspicion to him, Ji Hyo made up a story, "Ah yeah.. my friend was here just now, but she had to leave in a hurry as she has a flight to catch."

 

Ma-ru seems to buy in her explanation as he just nodded without saying a word. The man naturally kiss her forehead and sat next to her while holding her hands with love. At that moment, she felt an urge to seek out the truth from her fiancé, "Joong Ki aah.. did Woo Bin attended our engagement ceremony?". Her query made his heart raced so fast while his hands began to soak in sweat. As he wasn't sure the reason for Ji Hyo to ask such question, Ma-ru pretended to 'recall' his memory, "Hmm.. maybe. I'm not sure. What's the matter dear?". Ji Hyo was deep in her thought before she replied, "I had a flashback about a minute ago.. and I think it was during our engagement day. I don't know why, but I feel like Woo Bin was there.. with me. Can you tell me what exactly happened before the accident?"

 

The expression on Ma-ru's face immediately changed the moment he realized that Ji Hyo's memory was gradually 'digging' its way out. If that happens, he will lose the chance to be her man and his real identity will be exposed. Now that he has developed his feeling for Ji Hyo, Ma-ru became greedy to 'own' her all to himself, "I know that you want to remember everything as soon as possible.. but I can't let you force yourself too much. So how about we make a deal? Let's proceed with our wedding in two days time and I will tell you everything that you need to know after we're officially married. What do you say?"