23: Between a Wall and a Fence

Heartsigh
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

23: BETWEEN A WALL AND A FENCE

As planned, Jungkook had turned up at Jimin’s house earlier than the party starting time.  Jimin, already dressed nicely in a fitted light grey shirt and black pants, was lying on his bed leisurely flicking through a magazine, while Jungkook was pacing anxiously around the room, his hands in his hair.

“Can you please stop walking in circles Jungkook?” Jimin said with a deep sigh.  “You’re giving me a headache.”

Jungkook gave him a distressed look, as if to silently complain to Jimin that he was not helping his case here.  Didn’t Jimin know that he had even worn his favourite lucky ripped jeans for extra good luck? 

But it just made Jimin want to smile since it was not often he saw Jungkook this anxious and antsy.  It was always Jimin panicking before an exam or test they had and Jungkook would be calmer than a monk meditating at a temple

“It will be fine.”  But when Jimin heaved another sigh, it was not very reassuring for Jungkook.

“What’s wrong?” Jungkook asked, not liking the hesitation in Jimin’s voice.

Jimin looked at Jungkook like he needed a good smack on the head.  He had hinted to Jungkook so many times about his feelings for Seulgi but Jungkook paid no attention.  Why was someone as smart as Jungkook so oblivious to his own feelings?  Jimin supposed there was no point telling Jungkook and that only when Jungkook realised it for himself, he would truly believe it.

“No, it will be fine.” Jimin repeated more persuasion in his voice this time.  “We set everything up perfectly.  And we blocked that area so no one will interfere or interrupt you guys.”

“But I don’t know what I’m supposed to say to her?”

“As long as you are honest, it will be fine,” Jimin said, finally getting on his feet, his magazine forgotten on the bed.  “Everyone appreciates sincerity, that’s all you need to cheer Seulgi up.”

Jungkook nodded, as if trying to convince himself of the words that Jimin had told him. 

Jimin had started welcoming his friends into his house and Jungkook waited impatiently for Seulgi to arrive.  The moment she walked into the main dining room where Jimin had set up all the food, Jungkook felt like his task was impossible.  She looked stunning; in the simple black casual dress she had worn which showed off her slim white legs.  How the hell was he meant to speak to her now? 

He paced in the other corner of the room for a good one-minute before finally convincing himself to walk up to talk to her.  As Jungkook came closer, he belatedly noticed that she looked a bit lost, her eyes wandering around the room and Jungkook guessed she was probably trying to figure out where Jimin was.  He wished she would use that same energy to look for him, but he knew that was just wishful thinking on his part.

Jungkook greeted her and what followed was the stiff conservation that Jungkook had been dreading all day, super polite yet also super cold.  It seemed she didn’t even want to look at him; he noticed that her gaze was constantly elsewhere except on him.  Jungkook found that he was disappointed at himself, his lack of speaking skills and then accidentally blurted out, “Do you always have to be so cautious around me?” 

But he had regretted the words as soon as they came tumbling out of his mouth, his throat incredibly dry at that moment.  But that was soon forgotten as the look Seulgi had given back to his foolish question had completely surprised him.  She looked so sad as she muttered a “I’m sorry”, her desperate eyes reflected back at him with such a deep sense of sorrow, hurt and vulnerability, Jungkook felt like a dagger was being stabbed into his heart left, right and centre.

He had the sudden urge to take her away right now, away from all these distractions, away from people who were always looking for a way to attack her, away from everyone’s prying eyes.  He felt so selfish but he wanted to be the one to hide her away, far far away from harm’s reach. 

He could hear some commotion outside and he knew that this was the perfect opportunity to steal Seulgi away for a bit, even if it was only momentarily.

“Let’s get away form here.  Come on,” Jungkook said grabbing her hands quickly before he could change his own mind.  But he waited with bated breath for Seulgi’s reaction.  The closer he was to her, the more he realised how breathtaking her features were, her stunning eyes, her rosy lips. But just as he took a deep breath to calm down, Seulgi surprised him again.

“Ok, let’s go.” The words rang joyfully in Jungkook’s ears.  Was he hearing things? 

But there was no time to think; he pulled Seulgi towards the back of the house towards the backyard and outdoors dining area.  As they passed through a sea of people who were too busy dancing and having a good time, Jungkook found himself distracted by the softness of her small hands and how cold they were.  Was this girl wearing enough clothing?  Because it felt like she was freezing to death.

He had to ask her as they finally made it to Jimin’s ridiculously large backyard, filled with his swimming pool, BBQ area and outdoor lounge, where there were numerous groups of people loitering here and there.

“Are you cold? Do you want me to grab you a jacket?” He had paused on the spot, his warm calloused hand still firmly in her freezing one.

Seulgi vigorously shook her head, indicating that she was ok.  Her cheeks were now slightly rosy, which emphasized the paleness of the rest of her face.  Jungkook wasn’t convinced but if Seulgi insisted, he decided to keep moving.  But this was when he felt himself being pulled back, realising that Seulgi was no longer moving in sync with him and instead was standing her ground.

“Shouldn’t staying here be enough Jungkook?”  Seulgi asked, peering anxiously back into the house.

“I think we should go further.”  Jungkook wanted to get away from Jimin’s party but he wasn’t too sure how well

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter