Run

The Resistance

“You are under arrest and coming with me. Everyone here.”

Jessica heard those words and it was then that her fears became real. They were caught. She looked at Taeyeon and Junho who were injured and couldn’t fight. There was no way that Seohyun and herself could fight their way out of this if they wanted to bring the two injured back. This was it then. They had to surrender.

“Put your hands on the wheel now!” The masculine boy barked at Seohyun who took a glance at Jessica before obeying. “Officer handcuff them all.”

As the cool metal clasped around her wrists, the chilling and nauseating feeling of defeat washed over her. It was even more painful to watch the two unconscious members also get handcuffed when they were not even able to protest. She was humiliated. Not by the fact that they got caught, but that she was too powerless to save those she loved.

“Comrade into the back.”

Jessica watched as Seohyun removed herself from behind the wheel and went into the back with herself and the injured members, “Remember, don’t say a word.”

“No talking!” Taecyeon ordered.

Of course Jessica chose to stay mum. She knew the rules and the rules were to become a mute even in the face of death and at this point, Jessica thought death was in her near future.

Peeking around the side of the truck, she watched as Taecyeon communicated with the other officers for a while. For the first time, she saw the boy smile since they were young and carefree. She hated it. It was then that she realized that her friendship with Taecyeon was over. She hated him and everything he stood for. He was the Party and that made her feel sick.

The engine of the truck roared, “Stay quiet back there. If I hear a word, I won’t hesitate to shoot.”

Jessica could have sworn she heard Seohyun say something to the effect of “Party scum” escape from the innocent-looking girl’s lips but as she observed the girl, she looked composed. No doubt Jessica was envious of the girl’s ability to remain calm while her head was swarming with concerns about herself and Taeyeon. Taeyeon and Junho needed a doctor asap but she knew that they would all get thrown into some jail. What if Taeyeon died? Would the blood be on her hands for getting them all caught?

It was only about 10 minutes of driving along the dirt roads until the girls in the back felt the vehicle suddenly halt. They waited a few minutes for something to happen but nothing. They didn’t hear Taecyeon’s demanding them to get out. They didn’t hear other officers nearby. In fact they heard absolutely nothing.

“What’s going on?” Jessica whispered carefully into Seohyun’s ear.

Seohyun shrugged. She too didn’t know what was going on.

A few more minutes passed and Seohyun had enough of waiting, “Jessica stay.”

With both her hands bound together, Jessica reached up to stop Seohyun, “Where you going?”

“I’m going to see. This is strange.”

Jessica wanted to tell the girl this is risky or be careful, but the brave girl was already out the back going to the front of the vehicle. Waiting in the back, Jessica took a look at Taeyeon who was still out. She wondered for a second how someone in a disheveled state could look beautiful.

“Jessica get out.”

“What?”

“I’m not sure what’s up but he’s gone.”

Jessica was frozen in shock, “Gone?”

“Yea as in not here.”

Jessica shuffled forward to hop out of the truck. She scurried up front to see it empty. The girl also turned around trying to look for the man in the darkness, but nothing, “Is this a trap?”

Seohyun furrowed her eyebrows as she looked around too, “I am not sure.”

“Could he like use us as bait to find the entrance?”

“It’s possible since he knows we have injured with us.”

“So what should we do?”

Seohyun looked around for anything to get her barrings, “We have a safe house in this part. I think we should go there for the night.”

“How do we transport Junho and Taeyeon? They also need a doctor.”

“There’s a nurse at this one. I know it but we can’t risk showing the entrance so this must do.” Seohyun looked at the empty street in front of her, “Jessica you need to stay here. I will get help.”

Jessica gulped at the thought of being alone, “A-are you sure?”

“Yes. Wait here. It won’t be long I promise.”

Jessica knew there was nothing she could do but to trust Seohyun. They were out of options it seemed. Two injured and they were bound in handcuffs, what could they really do alone at this moment? Not to mention, they don’t know where Taecyeon went.

Slipping into the back of the truck, Jessica went to check the pulse of Junho and then the pulse of Taeyeon, “still beating.” Their beating hearts calmed Jessica’s erratic heartbeat knowing they were ok and breathing. As long as they all remain breathing, she could be at ease because Taeyeon was her air, she needed Taeyeon to stay alive.

Looking down at the unconscious girl, she grimaced at the mangled leg and moved her gaze up the girl’s body. Stopping at her midsection, Jessica became enamored with the way the chest moved up and down with her shallow breaths. Continuing her journey, Jessica noticed the girl’s pale skin glowing in the darkness, “how can you look so peaceful when I know you are in so much pain?”

“Jessica!”

The call of her name, broke her gaze from Taeyeon and towards the back of the truck, “Seohyun.”

“Jessica hurry out. I brought help.”

Behind Seohyun were two men but she didn’t recognize their faces. If they were part of the Resistance, they must never go underground.

When Taeyeon and Junho were hoisted onto the back of the men, the six ran off into the empty streets that were starting to illuminate with day break coming. The six weaved in and out of alleys in a confusing pattern that made Jessica lose her bearings back to the car.

The safe house was like any other building except for the armed guard sitting behind the door, “name.”

“GG.”

Jessica thought that must have been a code since the door opened and the six went up the stairs to the third floor, “quick put them down carefully.”

The girl was absolutely beautiful. The supposed nurse that started tending for Taeyeon and Junho was no doubt blessed with extremely great looks, “Who are these people?”

Seohyun leaned closer to Jessica, “They are only stationed above. Normally the safe houses are for us to stay before or after missions. This one is headed by Yuri’s cousin Vivian, the nurse you see there.”

Jessica watched as Vivian started to care for Junho, “Wow she does look a bit like Yuri.”

Seohyun leaned back on the wall, “I get confused sometimes too. Although they are only cousins, they look a lot alike.”

“So there is no major blood loss or organ damage I can see, but Junho has a concussion and Taeyeon needs her leg adjusted and placed in a splint. I’m afraid that isn’t something I can do. If she wakes up, she will be in a lot of pain but I have some morphine here to give her.”

Jessica’s shoulders relaxed at the good news, “We will head out when night breaks again.”

“I will tell the guys to bring up some food for you, but feel free to use the blankets to get some sleep. You are safe here.”

Jessica adjusted her bedding and blankets closer to Taeyeon, “So umm are you and Taeyeon like together?”

Looking up at Seohyun who was also adjusting her bedding but near the door, “Yea.”

Seohyun nodded, “That’s good...for her and I think for you.”

Jessica couldn’t tell if that was a compliment or not, “we are happy.”

“Most of the members in the Resistance have seen some horrible things but I feel like some of the older members like Taeyeon were in the middle of the worst. Starting an organization like ours isn’t easy. Bloodshed and deception would have been most of Taeyeon’s childhood. Not to mention she literally lost everyone she loved in a short amount of time so I think it is good you are around. She needs that distraction.”

Readjusting the blanket on Taeyeon Jessica thought if what they had was really only a distraction or could it be love?

--------------------------------

Taeyeon woke up to a sharp pain in her left leg, “Ahh.”

Jessica quickly woke up as she heard Taeyeon cry out in pain, “Tae.”

Tears were ready to fall with the amount of pain raging through her body, “S-sica...”

“Wait here. I will get the nurse.”

Taeyeon wanted to reach out for Jessica, just to feel that she was by her side again, but the girl was already running down the hall. Having gone through a number of injuries before, Taeyeon thought she could tolerate this amount of pain, but she was wrong. Her leg felt like it was broken into a thousand pieces as someone was trying to hit nails through her bones.

“Taeyeon I am going to give you a shot of morphine ok? I am also going to give you a shot in the leg to numb it a bit but you won’t be walking anytime soon.”

Taeyeon bit her lower lip as the needles pricked her, “Are you ok Tae?”

Squeezing tightly on Jessica’s hand for support, “A bit better. Still hurts.”

“Taeyeon you need to get your leg readjusted. Until then, you will be in a lot of pain.”

Looking over to her side, she spotted Junho, “How is he?”

“He is doing fine. Nothing serious.”

Taeyeon spotted only Seohyun in the corner, “Where are the others? Have you heard from Yunho?”

“Yunho and Hyunseung left into the Party to offer a distraction. We haven’t heard from them yet.”

“Hyuna and V?”

“They escaped back to the Resistance already.”

“How?”

“Taeyeon we thought we were going to get captured when we saw the blockade...actually we did get caught. I chose to stay with you while Seohyun attempted to drive through, but we didn’t want everyone to get taken away to the Party. Hyuna and V weren’t injured so we told them to make an escape back before the officers found out who we were.”

“Sica...you should have gone too.”

Jessica shook her head, “I couldn’t leave you like that. Not when you...you are injured.”

“W-what if we really were taken away? How do you think I would feel waking up to your screams from whatever torture they put you through? That would break my heart.”

“Tae...it would have broke my heart knowing I didn’t try anything to help you.”

Taeyeon blinked away the tears in her eyes, “Umm you said we were captured?”

Jessica bit her lip, “Well you see...Taecyeon took us...”

Seohyun looked up at Jessica, “You know him?”

Jessica nodded, “Yes.”

“So you really were part of the Party? I thought those were rumors.”

Taeyeon tried to sit up but stumbled around to find her balance before Jessica helped her up, “Seohyun you know that information can’t leave this room.”

Seohyun scoffed, “I get it. I know what it is like to be associated with the Party and be in the Resistance.”

“So Taecyeon caught us? How did we get away then? I mean if you fought him off...that would have been pretty amazing.”

“I wish. We are not sure. He just disappeared so we ran to the safe house.”

Taeyeon nodded, “Ok.”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon questioningly, “Ok?”

“Well we got away and that’s what matters.” Taeyeon said as she went to lean on Jessica’s shoulder, “I’m a bit tired...”

Seohyun got up to pull the shade to the side, “In a few hours we have to get moving. Will you be ok?”

Taeyeon gave a few short nods before returning to dreamland.

 

 

 


Author's Note

Hello readers ^^ Good to be back although still going to be having irregular updates (no more gone for 3 months though).

Enjoy enjoy!