Unusual Bliss

The Resistance

Seohyun the child prodigy…was a nickname that stood by her since she was 3 and doing grade 5 math. Being the pride of the Party, she was even able to meet leader Yang Hyun-suk when she won an academic competition for high school graduates although she was only 7 at the time. Leaders called her the inspiration for advancement of the Party and had high expectations that she would rise up and be one of the leaders.

However, the high intelligence that Seohyun displayed would also be her downfall. After discovering a way to hack into a few government websites, Seohyun soon discovered classified documentation on Party activities. Infatuation consumed her and she read page by page the evils behind the curtain the Party placed in front of their people. Yet, Seohyun was not fooled…not anymore.

Although Seohyun wanted to take down the Party once she found out all the atrocities, she couldn’t help but wonder what would happen to her family. Her parents were blinded by the Party’s kindness towards them and if she planned some sort of coo, they would be the ones to pay. She couldn’t have that. Not when they were the ones that continuously showed love and concern for her future.

For a few years, Seohyun lived with the nightmares of her country committing crimes outside of her safeguarded walls. She wanted to escape and help take down the Party but there was no good opportunity to do so. That was until she met Won Bin…although at the time of meeting him, he was known as Tae-sik.

It was an unusual meeting due to the fact that Seohyun only chanced upon an opportunity to view the arms factory due the military wanting to bring their youngest minds together to improve the gun’s accuracy. Seohyun was 17 and just received her second college degree. Due to her knack in math, Seohyun was on the top of the list to help the military improve their weaponry although she wanted to use her engineering degree to help the poor to get easier access to Party amenities such as cleaner water and electricity.

It was when she was touring the factory, she saw a strange man wearing a very outdated cap. She wanted to approach him and ask why he was wearing something she would consider an antique but as she approached, she halted when she saw him taking a few photos. Immediately she knew he was dangerous but she wasn’t scared of him. He was the type of danger she was looking for.

Nearing the end of the factory tour, Seohyun caught the man sneaking off almost undetected, but wanting to talk to him, Seohyun followed. She was getting closer to the man but right as she was to tap his shoulder, the man violently threw the girl to the ground, “Why are you following?”

Seohyun was scared speechless.

The man bore his eyes into the frightened girl until he released her, “Why are you following me?”

Seohyun shook away her shock, “Ummm the factory…I saw you taking photos…”

The man’s eyes furrowed, “Photos? I have no idea what you are speaking of comrade…”

Seohyun wasn’t stupid nor was she going to plan this game with the man, “Look. I saw you taking photos and I think you are the man I need to speak to about getting out.”

The man was shocked by the girl’s declaration, “I am sorry I don’t know what you are talking about comrade…you should return inside. I have some business to attend to.”

The man started walking away so Seohyun blocked him, “Look I have Party secrets and I want to share. If you are not the man I am looking for to reveal this information to, then I will go looking for someone else. Although I am not sure if my life would be safe in my quest to find another person…the Party hears everything.”

The girl finally had the man’s attention, “there are places they can’t listen. Follow me girl but if you give me false information, I can’t guarantee your safety. However, if you do give me something, I can help you out of the Party.”

Seohyun smiled as she followed the man away from the factory. She was guided along allies and barren streets until they were both pulled into a warehouse. It was dark when a bag went over her head and she was pushed into another room.

After a few minutes, she heard a few more voices enter the room before the bag was removed from her head and the man she met was seated in front of her, “don’t look around or I will have to put the bag back over your head. Just look at me and answer questions.”

Seohyun nodded at the man.

“Name and ranking.”

“Seohyun. Party level 5 student in Engineering.”

The man raised his brow, “Level 5? How old are you?”

“17.”

“How can you be level 5 at your age?”

“I am advanced. I started university at age 14.”

The man rubbed his chin, “Ok. Why do you want out? With you being level 5, your family is well off.”

“I told you I have some confidential information. Upon learning...learning what the party did...I don’t want to participate in their advancement.”

Won Bin looked the girl in the eyes before straightening in his seat, “Go on...”

It was then that Seohyun told the Resistance highly classified information that led to them stopping several attacks on sectors they had hidden agents and even a raid on a local market. Seeing her information proved correct and reliable, Seohyun was accepted into the Resistance. However due to her concern for family, she would work part time as a double agent. Thus Won Bin took her into the reporter office on special permission from one of the Resistance founders. She was to act as a spy and report back to Won Bin directly before publishing any articles.

Through the years she witnessed many atrocities and watched many get killed but she also watched many people get saved due to her work. She hoped one day her work would help prevent any more deaths. One day, she knew her work would take down the Party because she was part of the Resistance.

With her line of work, Seohyun thought she had seen almost everything but there was one thing she wasn’t prepared to witness. Many years ago she entered the reporting office of level 6 where she met her peers and a well-respected senior, Kim Taeyeon.  Taeyeon was a legend in her own respects and Won Bin spoke highly of her as one of the best in the Resistance, thus Seohyun found herself observing the girl more than usual. She noticed that Kim Taeyeon was in a relationship, a long one by the looks of it with a girl named Hyomin. They looked cute together.

Then there was the horrible day when the subway crashed...she noticed not just Taeyeon break, but many others in the Resistance. So many people lost love ones that day. That was the last day she saw Taeyeon in the reporting room. Seohyun later learned Taeyeon’s lover and mentor perished in the subway accident so it made since that Taeyeon would leave the one place that had her happiest memories.

Yet the strangest thing happened of late...almost like history repeated itself. A familiar...yet unfamiliar face entered the reporting room. Seohyun was sure that the girl died 3 years ago...so it couldn’t be her but the facial features were remarkably similar, “And you are?”

“Jessica Jung. I was assigned to you.” Yes she couldn’t be someone that has already passed, but this Jessica girl looked so much like her.

As if things couldn’t get any stranger, another ghost entered level 6 by the name of Kim Taeyeon. Seohyun has seen Taeyeon around the Resistance since the subway accident but to see her in the reporting room was just something else. Taeyeon even gave her that signature toothy smile as she entered but immediately made her way to the meeting room where she placed Jessica for work.

Seohyun completely forgot about her urgent assignment as she observed the interaction between Jessica and Taeyeon but she nearly died of shock as she saw Taeyeon kiss Jessica...were they...a couple? The younger girl continued to watch where she found out Jessica and Taeyeon were shocked by the kiss themselves...not a couple clearly. That was when Seohyun watched Taeyeon run out of the room leaving Jessica behind.

With Taeyeon gone, Seohyun had some strange maternal sense to comfort or talk to Jessica since she was her mentor. Seohyun put aside her work and entered the meeting room where Jessica had collapsed onto her chair, “Jessica?”

Jessica was pale as she looked up at Seohyun.

Seohyun bit her lip as she pulled up a chair and sat next to Jessica, “Umm...I am not sure what to say exactly but I kind of saw Taeyeon kiss you and then run away. I assumed you might need some comfort after analyzing the situation couldn’t be a good one.”

Jessica nodded to the fact that Seohyun’s assessment was right.

“Do you mind talking to me about it?”

Jessica her lip before looking down, “Who is Hyomin?”

“Hyomin was a reporter here but I am guessing you want to know her relation to Taeyeon? You could say they were a hot item. From what I know, they dated for a long time. Well until Hyomin was well...she passed away.”

Jessica nodded, “I see.” Taeyeon’s first love.

“Ah...can I ask how you know her?”

“Tae...said her name after kissing me.”

Seohyun looked at the pathetic girl with sympathy, “Jessica...you have to understand...even I thought you were Hyomin at first...you have no idea how similar you two look.”

Jessica felt an uncomfortable cringe in her stomach with this new fact, “So...it wasn’t me she wanted this whole time...I was a replacement...”

Seohyun could see the distress in the girl’s brow thus she reached forward to put her hand on Jessica’s knee, “Jessica don’t think that way...Taeyeon could have just been confused for a second.”

Tears already fell as Jessica looked up, “How do you know it was just a second? What...what if the only reason she took me in and became my mentor was because I was to replace her?”

Seohyun’s heart was breaking at the sight of Jessica saying she wasn’t worth more than being a stand-in for a past lover, “Taeyeon wouldn’t do that...I could never believe she would be so heartless.”

Jessica wiped away her tears, “Do you mind if I leave? I-I need some air.”

Seohyun understood so she backed away, “Go ahead.”

Yes...Seohyun had seen some horrific things before but seeing a heart get broken was just as saddening.

------------------------------

After being kicked out of her room...really was locked out by Yoona, Taeyeon thought it was best to listen to her friend and find Jessica. Unfortunately, the Resistance was a huge place. Taeyeon started with the obvious locations like Jessica’s bedroom, the cafeteria, the reporters room, and gym but the girl wasn’t to be found.

“You look lost...which I find hard to believe.”

Taeyeon looked to her right to find Yunho, “Looking for Jessica. Do you know where she is?”

“Oh I did...she was nearing the arena...don’t know why since exams are not...”

Taeyeon didn’t give a chance for Yunho to finish as she ran over to the arena. Almost throwing the door open, Taeyeon saw the lights dark except for a dim light on the stage where a lone girl was sitting.

Slowly, Taeyeon approached Jessica, not wanting to frighten her, “Jessica?”

Jessica quickly wiped away tears before looking at Taeyeon that was next to her, “W-what are you doing here?”

Taeyeon felt the familiar guilt creep up to her chest before sitting down next to the girl, “I was looking for you...umm I wanted to talk.”

“Finding me after running...” Jessica let out a bitter laugh.

“Sorry...I don’t...didn’t mean to panic...it is just...” Taeyeon was at a loss for words. How to explain what happened when she didn’t know what happened herself.

“Seohyun told me that I look like her...Hyomin...your first love right?”

Taeyeon nodded, “Hyomin was more than my first love...she and I were engaged...she was to be my wife.”

Somehow that fact made Jessica feel even more ty...who wouldn’t want to get back the love of their life?

“Jessica...I didn’t mean to you know...kiss you.”

Jessica looked up at the pitiful eyes, “But you meant to kiss her right? I was just...a stand in for her right?”

Taeyeon bit her lower lip as she scooted closer, “I admit that I was confused...but please don’t say you are a replacement for her. Before that moment, I never thought of you to be like her.”

“How can I believe you? Yoona and Yuri even told me you act differently around me...isn’t it because you are infatuated with the idea of having her back?”

“Jessica I admit I miss her and the first year without her was hard for me but it is strange that after a year, your memory fades even the smallest details. I found myself thinking about her less and less...to the fact that only a photo could remind me of what she looked like.” Taeyeon bravely took a hold of Jessica’s hand, “But I do remember her actions and personality... you and her are not similar at all in those regards. She was extremely outgoing and had a loud laugh...she played stupid a lot although she was much brighter because she knew I found it cute. Jessica...you are very smart, and show it...you are shy and timid and I don’t see you smile much, but when you do, it isn’t with a loud laugh but a huge smile. You are your own person Jessica...you could never be the replacement of someone else.”

Jessica felt a wash of relief spread through her body at Taeyeon’s words.

“Jessica I like you for who you are and I am glad you were the one I got to mentor...” Taeyeon found herself thinking of Yoona’s words, ‘I think you need to sort your feelings out,’ “Although...you may not be like Hyomin...I like you for who you are Jessica.” Taeyeon had figured out her feelings amidst her speech, “I like you Jessica.” Taeyeon said with a tingle in her chest as she looked Jessica in her baby brown eyes, “I didn’t mean to kiss you then...but if you feel the same about me...can I try again?”

Jessica couldn’t tell if she was more shocked now or when she was called the wrong name after their first ‘kiss.’ “Taeyeon...I do...have feelings for you but...” Taeyeon didn’t let Jessica finish her sentence as she cupped the girl’s face to give her a passionate kiss.

After her first fail in kissing the girl, Taeyeon made sure to massage the girl’s lips with so much devotion that Jessica wouldn’t second guess the feelings she had for her. When Jessica brought her hand to steady herself on Taeyeon’s hip so she could kiss back, Taeyeon felt her whole body tingle with excitement...Jessica gave her a feeling that she thought she lost completely 3 years ago. Having such feelings was something Taeyeon was scared of after losing it once before, but then again, maybe Jessica was worth the fear because what she was feeling right now, was utter bliss.

 

 


Author's Note

Look who is back from vacation in time for her 2 year anniversary!!! <<< Author worked hard to get an update out today.

Well...only took 20 chapters? Wow your author was such a tease to wait till after her break to give this chapter out.

Comments???