Live and Learn

The Resistance

Jessica was reluctant to pull her eyes away from the window but she quickly stumbled backwards when a door opened next to her, “Jessica? W-why are you here?”

Jessica gulped, “Taecyeon....”

Looking at the corner of her eyes, Jessica already saw Taeyeon’s eyes retreating into the darkness as if not to be seen, “I ah...”

“Taecyeon! Are you back here?”

Taecyeon looked back for a second, “Yea...hold on!” The boy yelled back before setting his attention back on Jessica, “Jessica...” he said in a comforting voice.

Yet, the two were once again interrupted by the bakery boy, “Taecyeon, you are needed in the kitchen right now.”

Jessica looked up at the familiar face of the boy, ‘The ghost...’

Taecyeon sighed, “Wait here.”

Jessica sighed in relief as Taecyeon left with the ghost.

Taeyeon also reappeared by Jessica’s side just to take her hand, “Come on. We need to leave before he comes back.”

“But...but...he needs to...we can’t leave without giving him an explanation.”

Taeyeon tugged the girl harder, “Doesn’t matter. You are dead up here. He doesn’t need to know about a dead person.”

“What do you mean dead?”

Taeyeon sighed, “To those people,” the girl pointed at the bakery now in the distance, “You have to be dead. They can’t know you anymore. When you are with us, you will take on other identities and people of your past can’t be thinking you are around. They can’t be looking for you.”

Jessica lowered her head as if she did a bad deed, “We should have never come here...”

Taeyeon stepped forward to guide the pouting girl’s head level to hers, “It was your wish. Nothing to be ashamed of...we just had an unforeseen error. It happens. If we could control everything, then so many other bad things could be prevented.”

Jessica gave a faint smile to the girl trying to cheer her up, “Okay...but we should go back.”

Taeyeon nodded and started to lead the both of them back to the Resistance headquarters. The walk back was silent but with the crisp night air giving Jessica the freedom she needed, there were no words needed for her to feel content.

----------------------------

“Exam 2. Survival training.”

Jessica looked up at the instructor while seated on the floor. The man had a cool demeanor around him that made him feel more approachable than her other trainers but his reputation was fierce. Choi Dong-wook was level 3 but most called him by his nickname Seven due to an incident that occurred during his final exam. It was stated that in the final exam, Seven picked a level 2 senior to spar and took him out in seven seconds. Jessica had asked Yuri about this but she said it was before her time and to ask Taeyeon but since the time she and Taeyeon went out together, the girl had been bogged down with strategy planning meetings.

“I will be teaching things that could help you survive as a member of the Party or in the civilian sector as well as how to live smartly on the streets if for some reason you are stuck outside without assistance. You will continue your other training in the mornings and afternoons along with my instructions. Any questions?”

Another rookie raised their hand, “How is the exam going to be prepared?”

Seven laughed, “It will test you mentally and physically...you can always get the specifics from your mentor.” The instructor waited for any more questions but there were none, “Alright. If no more questions, we are going to start with the introduction of different clothing in the Party.”

Jessica leaned back as she watched the man go through a rack of clothing explaining the significance of each piece, why that color, why that fabric, why the symbol, ect...This was a lesson that Jessica didn’t need to be present at. She knew the ranking system like the back of her hand and she was no stranger to that pin. She thought it was funny that the Party symbol was a pair of wings when their citizens had no room for flight. They were caged like a pet to their dictatorship.

----------------------------

“How is your neck?”

Yunho rubbed his neck, “A bit sore still. That mentor of yours has legs of steel.”

Jessica laughed, “Well you did a number on her. I saw the bruise.”

“Really? I hope she wasn’t hurt too bad...it would be my head if I seriously injured one of the top officers.”

Jessica looked around, “Speaking of which, where is Taeyeon?”

“Still in meetings. I heard a level 1 came...secretly of course and Taeyeon along with some other officers have been discussing infiltration methods.”

“If it was secretly, how would you know?”

“Of course I don’t know but why else would Taeyeon be in a meeting and not me? I am leading our group!”

“Because you are not as important as Taeyeon. Everyone but you seems to think you are the real leader of that unit.” Yuri stated as she took a seat next to Jessica, “Hey Jessica! How was your first lesson on survival tactics?”

Jessica shrugged, “A bit boring. I knew most of what we talked about today.”

Yuri nodded, “Because you were part of the Part---“ The girl was interrupted by a jab in her ribs.

“You know better than to talk about personal lives in public.” Yoona intervened.

Yuri rubbed her bruised rib, “What are you doing here? I thought you were with Taeyeon?”

“Was but I can’t skip out on meals like that girl.” Yoona stated before shoving food into .

“She isn’t eating?” Jessica stated in worry.

“Taeyeon sometimes gets too focused on work but I will bring her food over when I finish. I don’t think we will be back tonight Yul.”

Yuri frowned, “But...you left me alone with Ara last night too! Do you know how much she talks?!”

Jessica started laughing, “I don’t think you two are that much different.”

“Yah! Even Jessica is ganging up on me now!”

Yunho and Junho started laughing along with the girls at the table, “But Jessica has a point. You are talking even with food in your mouth.”

Yuri puffed her cheeks in annoyance, “You are all mean. I want Taeyeon back!”

“Oh she would join in on the fun too. You are not safe here,” Yoona said in a matter of fact.

Yuri stood up, “Fine. I am finished!”

Yoona pointed at Yuri’s plate, “You sure?? There is still food here.” Yuri looked down at her tray before sitting back down and eating again, “That is what I thought.” Causing the whole table to burst into laughter once again.

--------------------------------

Yuri was walking with Jessica to training, “She hasn’t been around for a week.”

“Don’t worry Jessica...she is just busy. The reason we were surprised that Taeyeon took on a mentee was because she is so busy.”

“So is she is as everyone says...one of the top officers?”

Yuri nodded, “Yep.” The two stopped in front of the training room only to see a note, “Humm you have a change in the room...I can take you there.”

Jessica looked at the note carefully, “I don’t remember going to this area before.”

Yuri shrugged, “probably because there is no need for you to go there yet. You keep forgetting that you are a rookie and that area is a weapons division. Only level 4 and above can get in there.”

Jessica started walking with Yuri, “How do I get in there?”

“Well you have me now,” the girl said with a huge smile on her face.

The two continued walking until they were greeted by Seven, “Hello Jessica...and Yuri?” The officer stood a little bit straighter with the sight of the girl.

Yuri just gave a gentle smile to the boy, “Hello Seven. I am just dropping off Jessica here. Please take care of her.”

The man let out a small laugh, “Of course. Jessica seems to have good friends...I wouldn’t want to upset them.”

Yuri looked back at Jessica, “See you around. I am off to do training too.”

Jessica waved the girl goodbye before entering the area with Seven, “How do you know Yuri?”

“She is the roommate of my mentor.” Jessica thought that was a stupid question.

Seven nodded as he continued to guide the last student into the classroom they would be using. Jessica looked around and saw a board freshly wiped clean and a table in front with a strange device she has never seen before although it looked similar to a bomb that she had constructed in her school days as part of the Party, “Alright class. Today I won’t be instructing you. We should be grateful that one of the top officers has come to give a special lesson....let me introduce you to level two bomb instructor Taeyeon.”

Jessica gasped in surprise as Taeyeon stepped out from behind the board, “Hello. I am Taeyeon and I will be here to show you how to identify and possibly disarm a bomb.”

Looking at the girl, Jessica could see Taeyeon taking a few glances her way as she continued to talk with that dimpled smile that was so unique to the older girl. “Now what I have in front of me is a disarmed bomb recovered from the Party. Can anyone tell me why we know this is a Party bomb?”

Jessica was hesitant to answer but the calmness in Taeyeon’s eyes seemed to have given her the courage to stand, “The Party is the only one that has access to silver mines. The plating is silver on this bomb.”

“That is correct.” Taeyeon was smiling as her student got her answer correct, “Since this bomb was disarmed by our team, we have a hole drilled here to cut the internal wires. Now I want you to compare this bomb to another.” Taeyeon reached into a box and pulled out what seemed like a homemade bomb, “Can anyone tell me who made this bomb and why?”

Another student stood, “The Resistance? It looks to be made from common materials.”

“You would think that but this is also a bomb by the Party. Can anyone tell me how we know this is from the Party?” Jessica observed the bomb but she couldn’t see anything from her seat. Taeyeon noticed that Jessica and a few other students wanted a closer look, “If you want, you can gather around and take a look.”

All the students immediately got up and went around the disarmed bomb, “Aluminum and gunpowder are easily accessible here...”

Taeyeon was smiling as the students seemed baffled, “Keep looking.”

Jessica was thinking the bomb was definitely homemade but that was until she saw something on the timing mechanism, “Is that gold?”

Taeyeon was shocked with Jessica’s sharp eyes, “Yes.” The students looked at the cut wire closely, “the wire used here is gold. A simple mistake that is masked by the coating but once we cut into the wire here, the gold can be seen.” The students all returned to their seats, “This here is not the only model of homemade bombs we have seen the Party used but it is the one that causes the most damage and the ones my team handles the most. Can anyone tell me what is the first thing you should do if you identify a bomb?”

“Run away?” The whole class laughed.

“Well that is a smart thing...what else?”

“Ask for assistance?”

“What if you are alone on your mission?”

“Clear the area?”

“Exactly. We want no one to be hurt so the first thing you should do is clear the area and the pedestrians. Although I am giving you some basic training in bomb disarmament, I don’t expect you to use this training unless you have no other options in getting to safety.” Taeyeon looked around the class before taking a marker and drawing a diagram on the board, “I hope this lecture won’t bore you but if you have any questions as we go along, don’t hesitate to ask.”

 

The whole class was groggy after a 2 hour lecture on bomb disarming, that was except for Jessica who was waiting excitedly in her seat for the instructor to finish packing up her materials. Jessica couldn’t tell if it was the lecture that was so enticing or because it was Taeyeon who was teaching it. Something about Taeyeon’s confident aura while she talked about a subject she specialized in gave Jessica another form of respect and interest in the girl. Maybe seeing Taeyeon as an instructor made her more appealing to Jessica but the shy girl wouldn’t admit something like that.

“Finished!”

Jessica was all smiles as Taeyeon stood in front of her with the box in hand, “Are we going for dinner now?”

Taeyeon looked down at the box, “I have to put this back but then we can go, want to come with?”

Jessica nodded eagerly with the request, “It...the lesson was interesting.”

Taeyeon smiled at Jessica, “Thank you. Although I am pretty sure I lost most of the class after getting into chemical reactions. Glad one student was still paying attention.”

“Of course!” Jessica said a bit eagerly, “I mean...I like learning new things.” The two continued to walk down the steal bunker, “I was told no one under level 4 is allowed down here. Why is that?”

“All the Resistance weapons are held down here. Clearance to use weapons is restricted for obvious reasons.”

“I thought you said the Resistance doesn’t use weapons.”

“Humm we don’t for attack but defense is different. You know Seven is part of level 3 which is our military and tactical division. If we were to go on defense and have a line of soldiers, his group would lead the other Resistance members. He will train you to defend if we go under attack...you will get weapon training soon.”

Jessica gulped at the thought of holding a gun and possibly killing another human, “I don’t think I could do that...”

Taeyeon gave the girl a comforting smile, “You would be amazed what people would do in desperate situations. If you had to defend someone you loved...I am sure you would do things you never thought you would do with a sane mind.”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon’s back that was covered with her usual jacket as she remembered the burns on her back, “Umm....have you ever done something like that?”

Taeyeon eyed back at Jessica before the two stopped at a door, “Yes.” The girl punched a number and the door opened, “ Wait out here.” Jessica did as she was told while Taeyeon went into the room alone for a minute, “Alright! Dinner!”

“That is if Yuri and Yoona didn’t eat our share of food yet.”

Taeyeon laughed, “Ah I miss Yuri...I am kind of sick of Yoona’s nagging the past week. She thinks my stomach is as big as hers and tried force feeding me on several occasions although I ate before.”

Jessica tried to contain her laughter but it came out in a soft giggle, “Sounds like Yoona.”

“Anyway...you did well in class. How did you know so much about bomb making? I didn’t know a thing until I joined that division.”

“I wanted to be in military...like my father. Every class on that subject I entered.”

Taeyeon stopped so she could look into Jessica’s eyes, “You saw how they made the bombs?”

Jessica shrugged, “Kind of...just simple ones for class. Nothing sophisticated.”

Taeyeon reached out to grip Jessica’s shoulders, “Still...you might have inside information. Jessica do you know how valuable you are down here?”

Jessica shook her head.

“Jessica...you need to keep this a secret between us okay? No one must know what you did in the Party or your family associations.”

“Why?”

“The knowledge in your brain might make you a target.”

“Target? How?”

“Sometimes when we know too much, people might misunderstand you or want to take advantage of you. I can’t bear to have that happen to you.” Taeyeon let go of Jessica’s shoulders before taking a step back, “Just you and me okay?”

“Okay.” Jessica didn’t know then why Taeyeon was so concerned about her Party affiliations but she always listened to Taeyeon because she couldn’t deny the fact that she trusted the girl.

-----------------------------------

Jessica jumped and sent her kick flying in the air but the other girl dodged it easily causing Jessica to tumble onto the mat rather ungracefully, “Oww...”

The other girl was laughing as she saw Jessica slump over in pain, “What was that? Those fancy moves will subject you to so many openings for me to attack.”

Jessica looked up at the girl, “You saw what Taeyeon did... I want to do things like that Yuri.”

Yuri held out her hand to help Jessica up, “Don’t rush it. A stable...”

“A stable foundation is the key to success...I know. Taeyeon says that while we train too.”

“So why are you training with me today?”

“Yoona told me that Taeyeon looked tired since those meetings...I don’t want to burden her with teaching me today.”

“Aww...I am just a replacement?” Yuri tried to act deflated.

“No! Not like that. You are great too!”

Yuri gave Jessica a pat on the back before resuming a defensive stance, “Ok this time no fancy things okay?”

Jessica nodded as she started a stream of attacks but whatever she did caused her to land on her back with Yuri smiling at her in victory, “Not too bad but I still win.”

Jessica got up as she pouted, “I don’t think I will ever win the final exam. I am too weak.”

Yuri handed Jessica a water, “Don’t think about it too much. That exam is light years away. Just keep up with training and put your mental focus on the second exam.”

Jessica swallowed her water, “I know but that final one is always in the back of my mind.”

“Then let it to push you to get better. You are already attacking with more precision since I last saw you fight.”

“Thank you Yuri.” Jessica smiled at the other girl.

Yuri wasn’t sure if it was those white teeth that showed in the glistening smile or the eyes that gleamed with gratification, but there was something that made Yuri act. The butterflies in her stomach had been apparent for some time but that smile made her lean forward without thinking. She captured Jessica’s lips in a sweet kiss, but the other girl soon realized the action and pushed her away.

“Yuri? I-I...ah...”

Yuri shook her head, “I am sorry...I wasn’t thinking...”

“Yuri,” Jessica said as she looked at the girl in concern, “I never thought of you...”

Yuri could feel the tears b her eyes, “I think we should call of the training for today. Sorry...”

Jessica was going to reach out to Yuri before she left but was too late when Yuri left the training area. The shaking in her legs caused Jessica to collapse and lean against the wall, “That was sudden...”

Jessica wasn’t the only one that was surprised at the sudden kiss. Another spectator who happened to look into the training room was just as astonished with what she saw.

 

 

 


Author's Note

I am going to be busy this weekend so I managed to finish this chapter early. I am pretty proud that I got this done.

Guesses on who saw the kiss? Also what happens to Yuri and Jessica now?