Explanation

Dark Elements
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 Everything was wrong here. I was being held prisoner by a water demon prince, my best friend had lied to me and acted like a complete stranger. I buried my head in my lap wrapping my arms around my legs.

 

I was being watched. I could feel it. My head snapped up to find Kame standing a few feet from me perfectly normal (no tail), reminding me of all he’d done to betray me. My eyes narrowed.

 

“What are you doing here?” I spat swiping at my tears angrily.

 

Kame’s face was impassive as he replied, “I’m supposed to watch you my lady,”

 

I flinched at the formality. Kame may have lied and betrayed me, but all those moments we’d been through together couldn’t have all been fake…right? I wanted some familiarity in this place…everything else was so far away…

 

“Please don’t call me that, Kame. Call me Addie like you used to.”

 

“I can’t do that,” his reply was clipped. Short. Emotionless.

 

“Just in front of me!” I cried desperately, “You can call me whatever you want when others are around. Please!”

 

He hesitated for a moment, “Alright.”

 

He sat opposite me. I saw a flash of concern in his eyes for my depressed state before he masked it again.

 

“Why?” I finally asked.

 

He glanced up at me. “Why what?”

 

“Why did you pretend to be my friend? You betrayed me and handed me over to that prince without a second thought! You’re like my older brother, my family! How could you do that to me? Everything was all an act, wasn’t it? It was all lies!”

 

“No!” his expression was pained, “Those memories…those times we had were real! I wasn’t pretending to be your friend! I really am your friend!”

 

“Then why?” I cried.

 

“I am a commander of the Prince’s military. It was my mission to watch you; protect you. When I was with you, I was under oath not to reveal my real identity. I couldn’t! I also had to be form

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter