Happy Birthday To Me

Dark Elements
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sunlight filtered through the window focusing its intense beams on my closed eyelids. When your eyes are closed, it’s supposed to be dark. But because of the sun, the empty void of black was an orangey-red. It was uncomfortable. My eyelids fluttered open; blinking rapidly. I rolled over frustrated at the light for waking me up. This was one of those precious few times I could sleep in! I was on vacation! Which meant: no work, no worry, and no waking up early! Well, it wasn’t exactly early, but still!

 

            I groaned and draped my arm over my eyes. My brain felt like it was in a fog as it battled it's way to consciousness. Something wispy and evasive tugged at my thoughts-something I couldn’t quite remember. What was it? As my body slowly brought me back from the realm of dreams, my thoughts were interrupted by my protesting stomach. Well, whatever it was, I was sure that elusive something could wait till I’d eaten breakfast.

 

 I padded into the kitchen in my super comfy bunny slippers and popped a couple waffles in the toaster. I hummed a random tune as I got out a plate and a glass of milk. When the waffles were ready, I slathered it in butter and drowned it with syrup; the only way to make breakfast the right way. Surveying the sugary, gooey, sticky mess, I smiled in satisfaction.

 

I was about to take my first bite of heavenly goodness, when my ringtone from my phone went off. I jumped at the sudden noise. Sighing I put down my fork and snatched up my phone, letting my thumb slide across the screen to answer the call. I held the device up to my ear.

 

“Hello?” I snapped irritably.

 

“Hey!” a bright, familiar voice greeted.

 

Instantly, my sour mood was dispelled.

 

“Kame! Hi! How are you?” I grinned.

 

Kame had been my best friend since I’d left the orphanage when I was fourteen to make a living for myself. He knew practically everything about me and sometimes even knew me better than I knew myself. Needless to say, he was the only person I'd ever willingly allow calling me during breakfast.

 

“Get over to the pier pronto!” Kame laughed at my sudden mood change.

 

“What? Why?” I asked glancing longingly at my plate of waffles.

 

“Just hurry!” Kame urged cryptically before he hung up. A few minutes later, I was in the car.

 

“This had better be good,” I grumbled as I pulled out of the driveway. I had managed to scarf down a few bites of waffle before I left, but for some reason, that left me hungrier then when I hadn’t eaten. I had changed into a light-blue blouse and jeans. Basic Blue. Perfect if you’re heading to the pier, and the deep, blue sea. In no time, I pulled up to the pier, my tires crunching on the gravelly sand. I hopped out and glanced around, spotting my best fri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter