Chaos/Calm

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

 

 

  1. Party Time

 

The next day, Wendy was excited to the point of jitteriness. She couldn’t sit still, nervous to show up at the work party with Seulgi.

“Baby, calm down, it’s just a company get-together,” Seulgi said as she watched Wendy fretfully pace back and forth in front of her, “Come sit with me.”

Hearing Seulgi, she stopped walking, and sat down in Seulgi’s lap on the recliner.

Seulgi pulled the lever that made the foot rest go up and they lay back together, “Why are you so nervous?”

“I-I haven’t told anyone that I’m seeing someone, and they’ll definitely be surprised to see that it’s you. A famous person walking in, holding my hand, I don’t think they’ll know how to behave.”

“There are famous people walking around that company daily,” Seulgi said, playing with a strand of Wendy’s chestnut hair.

“Yeah but you’re really well known,” Wendy said, “People at work talk about your photos and work all the time. I…don’t want you to feel awkward. Plus clients will be there as well, not just people I work with.  People from other companies, sponsors, and shareholders will be there too.”

“That’s okay, we’ll be able to handle it, no matter who is there. 

“I’m just afraid someone is going to be rude to you, and I don’t want that,” Wendy said.

“I’ve had insults thrown at me before, it’ll be fine. But on to your other statement, they don’t even know that you’re living with me? Are you trying to hide me?” Seulgi joked.

“No! They know I live with a close “friend” but since I don’t actually have many friends at work, people don’t generally ask. I have a couple of close people from the recording studio, and they know I’m dating, it’s just that I didn’t say who the date is yet. I don’t think anyone else would believe me, anyway.”

“If you told them you live with me?” Seulgi asked.

“Yeah, I think you underestimate how famous you actually are. And your work is famous as well. If I told them that I live with you they’d probably laugh and think I was joking.”

“We were already friends before I ever became well known though.”

We know that, but they don’t.”

“But how did we not get caught at the baseball game? Surely people took pictures of us there. I held your hand practically the whole time, and we rode in in a convertible to the park. Not subtle.”

“I’m not sure,” Wendy pondered, “Do you get followed a lot by paparazzi?”

“No, not really, we have an unwritten agreement of sorts. They usually just shoot me at events where I make an appearance, not my everyday life. That would bring a lot of chaos that I don’t enjoy. They stopped following me around because I got pretty boring, and I told them I won’t put up with their mischief just to catch me out on a date.”

“That may change now,” Wendy said.

“True, but I don’t mind that, as long as they control their actions. I know photos like that are big business, but I also know just about everyone that holds a camera in this city,” Seulgi said, her tone serious, “That’s a small benefit of my job, but if they ever invade our privacy or space for a shot, I’ll take care of it. Will you let me know if anything weird happens? If we’re going out together starting tonight, they’ll probably be outside as soon as we leave the party.”

Wendy nodded, “I’ll tell you, but how will they know we’re out together?”

“They’ll just know, someone will alert them. Anyway, you’re really that nervous to reveal me to everyone?”

“I’m nervous and excited to finally share that I’m seeing someone, I want them to know it’s you, I don’t need to hide anymore.”

“I told everyone at my studio that we’re dating,” Seulgi smiled, “They seemed to be aware already though, said I was acting differently.”

“Really? When did you tell them?” Wendy asked.

“On the last day of my trip, everyone knew, every person that I work with,” Seulgi recounted, “They said I’ve fallen completely, head-over-heels in love,” Seulgi said,

“Have you?”

“Well, yes.”

“Good, because I have too,” Wendy leaned in and slowly kissed the corner of Seulgi’s mouth, the taste of fruity candy bombarded her, “Have you been eating candy?”

“It’s from the gum I was chewing earlier,” Seulgi said, “It’s berry flavored.”

“Raspberry, I think,” Wendy said, “It’s sweet, the taste.”

“You’re sweet too,” Seulgi said, nuzzling closer to Wendy.

Wendy curled her fingers in embarrassment but laughed, “They’re right about you. Your crew could sense a change in your everyday mood. I sense it too. Your feelings show very easily.”

“Is that a bad thing?” Seulgi wondered out loud.

“No, it’s one of the many things I love about you. It feels good to know and see how much you care about me.”

Seulgi wrapped her hands around Wendy’s waist and wriggled her fingers underneath Wendy’s loose fitting t-shirt. She massaged the warm skin of her lower back and sides, and Wendy sighed at the feeling.

Seulgi lightly gripped Wendy’s chin and angled it upward so that she could kiss her fully on the lips. It wasn’t an intense kiss, just a simple one that revealed Seulgi’s kind nature, and her cozy, sweet feelings toward Wendy.

“I’ll tell you how much I care every day,” Seulgi murmured softly, eyes closed, her forehead resting gently against Wendy’s.

When Seulgi opened her eyes and looked down at Wendy, she smiled widely, and got a dreamy, wistful look in return. They both reveled in how comfortable they were becoming with each other. Wendy shifted so that she was in the crook of Seulgi’s neck, and settled in a warm spot just above Seulgi’s clavicle. On the foot rest their legs were intertwined, and Wendy watched and chuckled as Seulgi wiggled her toes. Wendy loved the seamless moves from intimate to silly. Laughing and playing together were a couple of the things they did best.

“What are you going to wear tonight?” Seulgi asked, still cradling Wendy in her arms.

Switching the mood again, Wendy murmured into Seulgi’s ear, “Maybe something a little inappropriate,” then nibbled a bit on the exposed earlobe. Seulgi’s hair was up in a bun, and Wendy loved this simple style on her. Not only did it showcase her beautiful face, and exquisite eyes, but Seulgi’s ears and neck were laid bare and waiting to be kissed. So Wendy did just that.

“Hmm,” Seulgi hummed at Wendy’s actions, “Then we won’t be able to leave the house.”

“Why?” Wendy asked sensually, dipping her tongue into the hollow of the ear.

“…reasons, “Seulgi shivered.

“Well, then I guess I’ll need to wear something appropriate for a business party, probably a dress that will fit in with everyone else’s attire. But it’ll be a different story…underneath the dress,” Wendy teased.

“Not helping,” Seulgi said.

“Exactly.”

“You’re being really mischievous tonight. Why?”

“It’s because I really,” kiss, “Really like you,” Wendy answered, “And because I’m still nervous about the party.”

“Well,” Seulgi supposed, still enjoying Wendy’s ministrations on her neck and ear, and wanting to be a little naughty with her in return, “Sounds like I’ll need to pull out all the stops tonight in terms of what I wear too. It’ll be nice seeing your co-worker’s jaws on the floor when we walk in together. I’ll take my camera to get a picture of their faces when they see us arrive. Will they believe we’re together then?”

Wendy leaned back, shocked by Seulgi’s feisty declaration.

Seulgi pulled the dazed Wendy away from her neck and toward her face, then nipped at her lips, “Or will I need to think of something more distracting to prove how much I love you to your co-workers?”

“Photos of their shocked reactions will probably prove to be enough,” Wendy joked.

“Good, I’ll just demonstrate my love to you when we get back home,” Seulgi said.

“We’re on fire with this banter tonight, baby, and I kind of love it,” Wendy said, “I’ll look forward to the return trip.”

“I love our witty exchanges, too,” Seulgi said, their lips closer than before, “It’s nice to have someone who is so good with her….words.”

“Well, if you have any more questions, I’m your woman of wordplay.”

“I like the word play in that sentence,” Seulgi whispered, “One more, what color do you think you’ll wear, Seungwan?” Seulgi held Wendy’s face carefully in her hands, leaned in, and kissed her, not waiting for an answer.

“Mmmm…maybe blue, or red, no blue,” Wendy went in for another kiss.

“Okay, that’s actually great,” Seulgi whispered right onto Wendy’s lips, “I have the perfect outfit in mind, so don’t worry.”

What are you going to wear?” Wendy asked, leaning back and seeing a smiley Seulgi once more.

“You’ll see.”

“Honestly, I cannot wait,” Wendy beamed.

 

-----

 

After cuddling for the rest of the afternoon and finally realizing it was time to get up and take showers, they got ready separately, taking the time to make themselves presentable as was promised.

Wendy did her makeup and straightened her hair, parting it and sweeping it to one side, revealing her neck and décolletage. In the closet she picked out the deep blue dress that she knew hugged her curves in all the right places. She spritzed Seulgi’s favorite perfume of hers on her neck and wrist—that smelled like wildflowers and citrus—and put in her earrings. In the bathroom, Seulgi was getting ready herself. She put on a lipstick that seemed to match with her outfit and readied herself for Seungwan to see.

When Wendy walked into bathroom, calling out to Seulgi for help with the zipper of her dress, Seulgi was in front of the mirror and when she turned, Wendy got a y, surprising sight.

Seulgi was wearing a sleek grey suit that fit her toned body like a glove. A crisp, white button up was underneath the jacket and was carefully tucked into tight tuxedo pants that matched the blazer.  Black heels finished the ensemble and her luscious hair was slicked back in a ponytail that accentuated her beautiful eyes. Her lips were the color of raspberries, and Wendy wondered if they tasted as they had earlier, of the gum Seulgi had chewed. She was tempted to try them. Tempted to walk right up to Seulgi and personally her beautiful lips, but alas, a party needed to be attended. When all was said and done, Wendy needed to pick up off the floor from the view.

“What do you think?” Seulgi asked.

“I think you look beyond…”

“Beyond what?”

“Just beyond…beyond y or gorgeous, you look ridiculous.”

“Wow, thanks,” Seulgi joked.

“No, ridiculously perfect for an event at my workplace. Good Lord, you look unbelievable,” Wendy clarified.

Seulgi smiled her signature smile, “Well I want to look nice for you at the party.”

“You look more than nice. Honestly, I’d like to just stay here now that I’ve seen you.”

“Why?” Seulgi asked.

“I think I could look at you all night and never move. You’ve accomplished your goals already. I’ve already had to pick my jaw up off the floor, and now I just want to stay in the apartment and keep you for myself, that was what you wanted earlier.”

“Well, let’s go out anyway, baby,” Seulgi said, “You’ve hyped me up to meet your co-workers.”

“Oh gosh, I’m still nervous.”

“ I’ll be looking at you all night, and you’ll be looking at me, so we’re even. Don’t worry about anyone else.”

“Okay, is this dress okay?” Wendy asked.

“You look stunning,” Seulgi said, going in for a hug, “And you smell nice too. Did you put on that perfume I picked out?”

“Thank you. Oh, will you zip me up? I almost forgot.”

Wendy turned and Seulgi saw that she had been unable to fully reach the zipper that would protect the dress from falling, “Sure, come closer.”

Having Wendy near, Seulgi could see and feel the vast expanse of her milky skin. Seulgi’s fingertips danced down the middle of the dress, coming in contact with as much of Wendy’s back as possible. With each touch, Wendy moaned lightly, clearly affected by Seulgi’s simple tracing of each landmark of bone and flesh. She fought her urge to zip the dress all the way down again and touch the precious and delicate form without a cover, to rip away the costume and simply see Seungwan before her.

She did her best to zip and then secure the dress without going overboard with her sudden feelings of desire. Her thirst to plant her lips directly on the pliant, warm skin of Wendy’s shoulder and there was bubbling toward the surface, and thinking of Wendy’s soft mewls wasn’t helping, but Seulgi knew the time for that was later, and when she finished the zipping she quickly let go.

“A-a-are you ready to head out?”

“Yeah,” Wendy said, affected by Seulgi’s touch and dangerous eyes, “Let me just grab my clutch. I arranged for a taxi to pick us up.”

“Ok,” Seulgi said, thinking back to the recliner and wanting to be back there now. A long night was ahead.

 

-----

 

In the car on the way to the party, Wendy warned Seulgi of three things:

  1. Incessant Questions
  2. Limited amounts of edible food
  3. The opinions of upper management

 

Seulgi laughed, “I’m ready for all of that…I think.”

“Just stay with me, we’re a team,” Wendy said.

 

-----

 

When they walked into the party everyone stared, as Seulgi had planned, and predicted. They were holding hands, and though this—two women holding hands—wasn’t as taboo as it used to be, people still stared awkwardly. Seulgi like to break unwritten rules like this, she found them ridiculous so she held tighter to Wendy’s hand.

“Tough crowd,” Seulgi whispered.

“Give it a little time, they’ll swarm you in a minute,” Wendy said, “The questions will be in full force.”

“Okay,” Seulgi said, mentally preparing herself.

Suddenly a voice called out from behind them, “Wendy, is that you?”

Wendy turned, “Yeah, hey, didn’t know you’d be here.”

“Had to show up, bosses orders.”

“Seul, this is Scott Lee, he’s the head of the recording studio. We’ve recorded a lot of demos together.”

“Oh, cool,” Seulgi extended her hand and Scott excepted it, “Nice to meet you, Scott, I’m Kang—“

“Seulgi, yeah I know your work, it’s amazing.”

“Oh, thanks,” Seulgi replied, startled that he actually knew her so quickly, Wendy wasn’t kidding.

“How do you know Wendy?” Scott asked

“We…live together, and we’re dating,” Seulgi said, not hiding anymore. She glanced at Wendy who nodded her approval to continue, “I’ve known her for a long time, but we just started dating recently.”

“That’s awesome, I had no idea, Congrats, Wen.”

“Thanks, Scott,” Wendy grinned, feeling good that she had at least one person’s support.

“Beware of some the people here, though,” Scott said, “They may ask some strange questions.”

“I’m prepared,” Seulgi said, “But thanks for the warning, Scott.”

“Well, let me go find my date,” Scott said, “She’s at the food table trying to find something, beware of that too, not much here to eat.”

“We’ve always got a backup plan for food,” Wendy said, thinking of the convenience store across the street from their apartment.

Scott laughed, said goodbyes, and wandered away to find his date.

“That wasn’t so bad,” Seulgi said.

“Yeah, Scott’s cool, but we’re not in the clear yet.”

Seulgi grabbed Wendy’s hand, “I’m still here.”

 

-----

 

A few others came up and asked about Seulgi, mainly people that worked directly with Wendy. A lot of people in the room knew who Seulgi was, but didn’t come up directly to speak. The talk with the people who did come up was kind and nice, but that all changed when Seulgi wandered away to the drink fountain, to get them both some punch.

“I’ll be right back,” Seulgi said.

“Okay, baby,” Wendy said, squeezing Seulgi’s hand, “I’ll stay here.”

 

-----

 

Scott had been correct, Seulgi couldn’t find one good thing to eat at the food table, so she scooted over to the drinks and began to serve herself and Wendy some punch in the tiny glasses they had sitting out.

Everything was going well as she poured the green punch into the glasses until out of nowhere, a man popped up next to Seulgi and began to put punch in a glass of his own, “Hello, Miss Kang,” the man suddenly said.

“Hi,” Seulgi replied, thinking it was just another guest.

“Who are you here with tonight?”

“I’m here with Miss Son, she works here, and it’s our date night,” Seulgi laughed cheekily, knowing it was just a chance to come and support her girlfriend, not a real date.

“I believe it’s suitable dates only, Miss Kang.”

“What?”

“Suitable dates, proper dates for a company function,” he said.

“Look, this is really awkward, and you’re making me uncomfortable,” Seulgi realized she had broke the one rule from Wendy, ‘Stay With Me,’ and now she knew why that was a rule, “I don’t appreciate the sudden questions from a complete stranger.”

“I’m not here to fight Miss Kang or find out anything more about you, I’m actually here to give you information.”

“Look, pal, I am a suitable date, I’m here with Wendy Son, she’s an employee at this company,” Seulgi said, serving up the second drink to take back to Wendy.

“We’ve been told otherwise, Miss Kang.”

“What? That Miss Son isn’t an employee?”

“No, that you’re a suitable date.”

Seulgi sat the drinks down on the table, “Look, you clearly know who I am, and all about my life, but I still don’t understand what you’re trying to do. Also, who the hell is we? You said “We’ve been told otherwise.” Is there some sort of undercover operation going on right now?”

“I’m a member of security here at the company,” the man sipped his drink.

“Well this escalated fast, am I committing a crime? Do I need to pay for this punch? I promise I’m not trying to steal this glass or its contents.  I thought it was free,” Seulgi said, trying to lighten the mood to no avail. The man’s face remained sour.

“I don’t make the rules for the parties here, Miss Kang, I’m here to make sure you leave. I realize you’ve probably never been kicked out of a party. I’ve read a few articles about you, and you seem to be the last person to leave every time.”

“Hey, that was uncalled for—”

“—But there’s a first time for everything.”

“Okay, this is getting creepy.”

Just then a woman walked up to Seulgi and the weird man who was questioning her, “Do we have a problem?”

“Yes, thank you, this man seems to think I shouldn’t be here right now, I’ve come with a member of the company staff.”

“I know who you are, Miss Kang,” The woman looked to the man and nodded, he put his punch glass down, and walked away, “Your work is tremendous. Love the Travel Korea series you did last year, just amazing. Sorry about the trouble, our security is a little overzealous tonight. We have some high priority people in town.”

“Thank you, but I didn’t catch your name?”

“Oh, Mrs. Shin, I’m a part of the upper management here.”

Seulgi extended her hand to Mrs. Shin, “It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Shin, and thank you for your help with that man, he popped up out of nowhere.”

“Well, actually not out of nowhere, I told him to speak with you,” Mrs. Shin said, “Just not to treat you like a criminal.”

“What do you mean?”

“You see, Miss Kang, I’m in a predicament. As I said we have high priority shareholders here tonight and they are of the utmost importance. Look, I hate to ask you to leave, but I’m afraid it’s necessary just now, before our other clients arrive.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Seulgi asked.

“Well, you can certainly stay here and enjoy the food and punch before you go, but you’re going to need to leave Miss Son alone and let her do her job. That would be to speak with shareholders and others who will be attending tonight’s get together. Some of them are already here.”

“Why would I need to leave when Miss Son has personally invited me?”

“Our main goal is to protect this company and those who own stock in it. Do you see how you being here with Miss Son reflects poorly on the company?

“No, why would me showing up with Wendy reflect poorly on this company?”

It’s absolutely nothing personal, when you’re out on the town you can do anything you wish, but it’s come to our attention that your image is a bit…wild, and that’s putting it in nicely. We don’t want that image to latch on or be connected to one of our important employees who is in constant contact with the idols we also employ. Your invitation, though put forth by Miss Son, is at this point, null and void.”

“Why do you make assumptions about me based on what you read in trashy tabloids or online? That’s not my real image. It doesn’t make me who I am. And why does it seem like you can only stomach shoving people in one type of box and leaving them there to conform to your will? That’s not a healthy attitude.”

“Image is how others perceive you, and perception is reality in this business,” Mrs. Shin said.

“And you’re telling me that this isn’t personal?” Seulgi asked, “You’ve made it personal with your illogical rhetoric, Mrs. Shin.”

“It’s not, I don’t actually care who you’re dating, Miss Kang, as long as it’s on your own time, but the people here tonight that own parts of this company may care. A lot of people working here don’t appreciate being rattled by questionable and distasteful topics.  Your attendance seems to have already caused an uproar of sorts, and that’s just the connotations that are attached to you alone. We won’t have that attached to a company employee. Now I love your work, it’s beautifully done, it’s unbelievable, but I can’t have you at this party tonight.”

“I can see where this is heading, though it would have been better had you spoken in clearer, more honest terms. You seem to have leaned on code words that almost reveal what you want to say, but they’re cleverly hidden so as not to offend,” Seulgi replied, “My relationship with Wendy, whatever it may be, is really no one’s business but ours. The contents of my relationship aren’t reprehensible as you have stated. The culture of your company and its owners seem to be living in a bygone era that will never return. Look, ma’am, I don’t enjoy having to explain the meanings of love and all it has to offer to you, so if you’ll allow me, I’ll just excuse myself from this cold and unfeeling “party,” and go back to a land where people don’t remain unresponsive to “taboo” topics.”

Mrs. Shin appeared a bit miffed by Seulgi’s retort, but responded anyway,“I apologize on behalf of the other members of management, but I also ask that you leave Miss Son here, we have clients that she needs to speak with this evening.”

“Thank you, ma’am, I’ll just say goodbye to her then,” Seulgi said sarcastically.

“Sure. Miss Kang, know that we enjoy your work and Miss Son will be able to attend any of your events, if that’s any consolation.”

“Oh, how nice, next time warn me before I come and drink this disgusting punch,” Seulgi said, and walked away from the table not believing what had just transpired.

 

-----

 

The whole conversation with Mrs. Shin had only taken three minutes but it may as well have been three years. Walking back to where Wendy was still talking with her co-workers, Seulgi could not believe what had just happened. She saw the smile on Wendy’s face in the distance, and her stomach dropped. Wendy was having a great time, she could tell by her smile, by her laughter, and now she was going to have to ruin the moment.

It felt selfish to rush to Wendy’s side and blurt out what had just happened, she didn’t want Wendy to be in trouble for something, though completely unfair, that had happened to her. She also knew Wendy would blame herself, and making Wendy feel that way in front of her co-workers was not her intention, so Seulgi stood far from Wendy’s little group, and waited for Wendy to look over and see her. When Wendy finally glanced over, she cocked her head to the side with a perplexed look, Seulgi knew she probably didn’t look very happy, and Wendy was reading her like a book. She’d already told her earlier today on the recliner that her emotions showed easily, and now was no different. She bit her lip and waited for Wendy to arrive.

Wendy excused finally herself from the small group, and walked to Seulgi, “What’s wrong, baby? Did something happen? You look…irritated.”

“Yes.”

“What is it?”

“I’ve been “asked” to leave,” Seulgi said.

“What? Why?” Wendy looked around as though she would be able to see the answer floating in midair.

“Mrs. Shin…well first a member of security walked over to me while I was attempting to get us punch, and then Mrs. Shin came over and told me it would be best if I left. It’s important that the clients and shareholders don’t see us together…”

“But…”

“I’ve got to leave, or they’ll definitely me out,” Seulgi looked over and saw the same member of security that she had spoken with earlier staring back at her, “You’re apparently meant to stay and speak with the shareholders or whoever, while I’m being kicked out.”

“You can’t go…I’ll talk to them, I’ll let them know you’re here with me.”

“I’ve already told them,” Seulgi said, “They’re hostile towards me at this point, I gave Mrs. Shin some stern words.”

“But this doesn’t make sense, you were gone for a couple of minutes.”

“It was three minutes and thirty seconds, I have to go—“

“—You can’t go, I want you to meet everyone.”

“I do too, baby, but they have literally asked me to leave.”

Wendy still seemed puzzled, “I’ll talk to Mrs. Shin, I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to her before, but now’s as good a time as any.”

Mrs. Shin and one of her colleagues—only there to look menacing, not to add anything to the argument— suddenly appeared in front of them, as if they’d materialized out of the ether.  She was the type of woman who startled, and needed to explain her viewpoint at the very mention of her name, “Miss Son, we’ve asked Seulgi to go, but you must stay for the clients. They’re expecting you to be here.”

“I, please don’t make her leave, I—“

“Miss Son, she’ll be leaving,” the colleague said.

“But for what reasons?” Wendy whispered, “She’s done nothing wrong, we’ve just been talking to people, and she went to get some punch for us.”

“Well, wrong is a matter of opinion,” Mrs. Shin said.

“Baby, they’ve already given me reasons, invalid reasons, but reasons none the less, I’ve got to go,” Seulgi said.

“Will you at least let me see Miss Kang out?” Wendy asked, glowering at Mrs. Shin.

“That’s fine,” Mrs. Shin said.

“I’m going now, Mrs. Shin, be excited,” Seulgi walked to the door, looked back one last time, and left the party, Wendy followed behind her.

 

-----

 

Once outside the building, Seulgi ed her perfect blazer and spoke heatedly, “How do you work with people like that?”

“I’ve never had to deal with most of them,” Wendy whispered.

“I can’t believe that just happened, they obviously knew everything about us in advance, and I mean everything, are they following you?”

“I don’t know, I haven’t told anyone, I’m so sorry,” Wendy said, on the verge of tears, “I…”

Seulgi saw the flash of a camera and knew someone inside had called the paparazzi to get a cracking shot of them together. It probably looked like they were fighting, but they weren’t.  Perception is reality, the phrase Mrs. Shin said was ringing in Seulgi’s ears.

“I know it’s not your fault, baby,” Seulgi said, leaning into Wendy, “There are photographers her,” She whispered, “Someone’s called from inside, probably Mrs. Shin. She wants it to look like we’re fighting, don’t cry, okay? Just stay close to me, hug me.

Wendy looked and saw flashes in the distance, this wasn’t what she wanted at all.

“Just whisper, they can’t hear us from across the street,” Seulgi said.

“I want you with me, Seulgi,” Wendy whispered.

“But I can’t stay here. I want you to come with me. You can’t go back in by yourself after that interrogation. It was spine-chilling to hear that type of oratory from the people you work for.”

“I can’t leave, you heard her. Clients are here, and they’ll want to hear all about our vocal program.”

“I won’t let someone mistreat you just because you’re dating me. That’s no reason for you or me to garner hate. It’s clear they don’t like “wild” types like me that “latch” on to innocent people that work at their company,” Seulgi turned them, held Wendy’s hand and began to walk away from the building.

“Is that what they said to you?” Wendy asked, melancholy richly coating her voice.

“Yes, that’s exactly what Mrs. Shin told me. They don’t want me here, and they want to stifle your creativity, that’s evident by the way they excluded you on that song that’s playing all over the radio. They want to suppress and cover up any one with any individual thoughts.”

“I never have to deal with these people, they’re just nosy management. I can’t lose this job, it’s what I’ve worked for, for a very long time. You know how hard I worked to make it to this place, the time I spent away from you, it can’t be worthless. I couldn’t follow my dream of singing so I did the next best thing I could think of, is all of it a waste?”

“No, of course not,” Seulgi said, stopping Wendy on the sidewalk and hugging her, “I just want you to be in a place that lets you be you, that showcases your talents.”

“I can’t quit…I don’t think…”

“I know that, it’s not in your nature, baby, they said some really terrible things to me tonight. I can’t sit back and watch them say the same things to you.”

“It’s not in me to quit or give up, I’m so sorry for how they treated you, I just wanted to let everyone know about us. You’re the most important thing to me, and now it’s all been ruined.”

“Nothing between us has been ruined, don’t say that, I’m not angry with you. This isn’t your fault and it’s not mine either. We’ll talk about this later, you need to go back in I guess, and I need to go before they catch me out here,” Seulgi said.

“Seulgi-ah, I love you, please don’t go, I—“

Seulgi made Wendy look into her eyes. “You’re so gorgeous in that blue dress,” she kissed her cheek, “I love you, too, I just can’t stay here. I’m too wild for this party, I’ll see you back at home.”

“Please, baby…”

“I know it’s not you, go back in and do your job and come home to me.”

“I wish we were still in the recliner,” Wendy whispered, hugging Seulgi tight.

“Me too. Smile for the cameras, baby. I know you’re sad, and I am too, but if they won’t think a thing about me leaving if you smile and wave.”

And with that statement, Seulgi walked away.

 

===

 

  1. The Aftermath

 

 

 

Seulgi was a little drunk, okay maybe more than a little. She’d walked to a bar she often went to and was now sitting at said bar, drinking what she could only describe as fire water. With her heels off and thrown in the floor, and her shirt untucked, she drank the fire water, then sipped a beer, trying to chase her blues away.

Fortunately Seulgi knew the bartender, and after the sip of beer, he cut her off, “Need me to call you a cab?”

“No, I’ll walk.”

“Seulgi, it’s getting late, and I’m sure Wendy’s home by now, she’ll be worried. It’ll take you hours if you walk home.”

“I’m not drinking because I’m mad at Wendy, she’s done nothing wrong. I do wish she’d left that party with me, but I know she couldn’t. Wendy is honestly so p-perfect, I love her.”

“So you’re just angry that you got kicked out of the party?”

“It was the way I was kicked out,” Seulgi said, “With subtle jabs and demands, it was ignorance at its finest.”

“Well, whatever it was, I’m calling you a cab and you’re going home to your hot girlfriend.”

“Are you hitting on her, Ye-Jun?”

“Okay, first of all, you’re a little belligerent right now. Second, she’d not here for me to hit on. Third, it’s a fact that’s she’s hot. Fourth, I wouldn’t do that to you. Fifth, Wendy is in love with you, and no one else, so me saying she’s hot will have little effect.”

“I know, it’s all true, I’m just testy. Mrs. Shin, or whoever is a really mean person. She said really nunessary things to me tonight,” Seulgi said incorrectly.

“Okay, time for that cab,” Ye-Jun said.

Seulgi’s eyes blurred for a moment but she held up an okay sign.

 

-----

 

Wendy came home to an empty apartment, and was instantly worried. She searched high and low, and realized that Seulgi was somewhere in the city alone. She was probably cooling off from getting kicked out of the party, something that Wendy couldn’t help but feel was her fault.

After changing into her trusty  Seulgi-V-Neck-Pajama-Shirt, Wendy thought Seulgi may have crashed in her old bedroom. So she rushed to the room, the light, and found something she never expected.

 

-----

 

Seulgi hobbled off the elevator and fumbled with her keys. She’d arrived safely back to the apartment, and was glad Ye-Jun had pre-paid the cab driver for her; she would never have been able to count the money correctly in her current state.  She’d washed her face at the bar, and that had sobered her up a bit but she was still very tipsy. She made her way to the bedroom, ready to get out of her suit, an incredible outfit that she’d wasted on people who didn’t even want her there. Crossing the threshold of the bedroom, she expected to find a sleeping Wendy, but instead she heard something she wished she’d never have to hear, Wendy crying.

“Wendy-ah?” Seulgi asked softly.

“Seulgi, are you back?”

Seulgi could see the lump in the bed rise and gradually turn into the shape of Wendy, her voice was wrecked with tears.

Seulgi rushed to the bed, and kneeled before Wendy, “I’m sorry, I should have called, I…I just needed some time to cool off. I’m a little drunk, and now I wish I’d just stayed with you. Please forgive me. Don’t cry, that’s the last thing I wanted.” Seulgi’s words came out in a rush, “I don’t want you to cry, Oh gosh, why didn’t I just come straight home?”

“Seul,” Wendy grabbed one of her shaky hands, “I’m not crying because you left me at the party. That wasn’t your fault. I’m crying because of how sweet you are.”

“Huh?”

“The room, I found it.”

“The room?”

“Yes, my old room. I thought you may have gone in there, but when I the light…”

“Oh the room.”

“Yes, baby, the room.”

“I was going to wait to show you,” Seulgi said.

“Come here,” Wendy said, and scooted over on the bed.

Seulgi got up from kneeling and practically tumbled onto the bed, still dizzy from the drinks, “I’m just a little off balance.”

“I can see that,” Wendy chuckled, “I’m sorry about what happened at the party.”

“I’m sorry for leaving you at the party. I should have waited outside for you at least. I was so mad at Mrs. Shin and the rest of them, that I wasn’t thinking correctly.”

“What happened wasn’t fair to you, and I cannot believe it actually transpired.  You deserve nothing but love, and you’ve been shown hate,” Wendy held Seulgi tightly.

“I wish there was something I could have said to change their minds, but it seemed like a done deal,” Seulgi said.

“If I had known, I would have just gone with you to the punch bowl.”

Seulgi hummed, “I should have listened to your advice, not to leave your side.”

“To be fair, I asked for the punch.”

“It was gross, the punch,” Seulgi said, “You didn’t miss anything.”

“I tried some later, and you’re right,” Wendy cleared the wild strands of hair out of Seulgi’s face, “Are you really drunk? I can smell some strong alcohol.”

“Not as drunk as I was at the bar, but it’s still affecting me. Let’s talk about this more tomorrow when I have a clearer mind, baby,” Seulgi said, lifting herself up off the bed.

“Wait, what made you think of the room? It’s got everything. It’s a music room, an art room, a game room, it’s perfect.”

“I wanted a place we could use together, a creative space. I made it for you. I’m sorry it’s been revealed while I’m tipsy, oh and a place where we can play video games.”

Wendy chuckled at Seulgi’s tacked on video game statement,“Let’s talk about it tomorrow like you said.

“Okay.”

“You still have your suit on, need help changing?” Wendy asked, a subtle glint in her eye.

“I think I can do it,” Seulgi said, she got up and picked out a pajama shirt, “Be right back.”

In the bathroom, Seulgi finally realized she’d just said no to Wendy’s help in taking her clothes off, “Damn.”

 

-----

 

Seulgi made it out of the bathroom and slid straight into bed beside Wendy, she’d made sure to brush her teeth, and wash her face again to get rid of the traces of alcohol.

“Much better,” Wendy said, kissing her lightly, “Now you just need to sleep.”

“You’re right.”

Did you figure out my question?” Wendy asked.

“Yes, a little too late.”

“Better luck next time.”

“I can’t believe I just told you not to take my clothes off. Can we still cuddle?” Seulgi asked, “I need you close after tonight’s events.”

“Of course, we’ll finish our conversation tomorrow…or later today. Good night.”

“’Night Baby.”

 

-----

 

In the morning, or sometime, Seulgi awoke by herself but knew she wasn’t alone. She could smell breakfast being cooked in the kitchen.

“Wendy!” she yelled, “Wendy!”

Wendy came running, “What’s wrong?”

“Come here,” Seulgi whispered.

Wendy walked over and Seulgi grabbed her causing her to tumble on top of her, “After. Kiss. Breakfast. Kiss. We’re. Kiss. Coming. Kiss. Back. Kiss. To. Kiss. Bed. Kiss.”

“Oh really?” Wendy asked, playing coy.

“We have some things to discuss if my memory isn’t too hazy, and our bed is the perfect place.”

“I like the sound of that. I made French toast and bacon for breakfast. Let’s go eat, and then we’ll come back here to bed.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

 

-----

 

Wendy had the breakfast set up on the counter and Seulgi was happy to see the food. She hadn’t eaten in a very long time after their backup plan for food after the party fell through. Wendy fixed a plate for her and watched as she dug in.

“Do we have any beer?” Seulgi asked, cutting up a piece of French toast.

Wendy chuckled, “Why would you want beer with breakfast? You need to drink juice or something that will hydrate you.” Was last night’s binge not enough?”

“I just want a sip, it’s that thing you told me about for when you have a hangover…hair of the frog. Won’t it help with my headache?”

Wendy laughed leaned in and kissed Seulgi’s cheek, “I love you so much, baby, but it’s dog.”

“What?”

“It’s called hair of the dog. Not frog.”

“Oh.”

“I don’t think that will actually help, it could even make your headache worse. We have some sports drinks, those may help. And water, you need to drink lots of water,” Wendy said.

“Okay,” Seulgi said.

“I’ll give you some vitamins too, and there are some other things we can do soon that may help,” Wendy said.

“What other things?”

Wendy blushed, “Exercise.”

“Oh.”

“Just finish the French toast.”

“It’s really tasty,” Seulgi said with a sensual voice “Get yourself a piece, too.”

Wendy reddened further, “I can’t wait to try it.”

 

 

-----

 

“Breakfast was awesome,” Seulgi said, as she put her arm around Wendy’s shoulder and walked back to the bedroom.

“Glad you liked it.”

Back on the bed, Seulgi lay down and beckoned Wendy to her, “Let’s talk.”

Wendy nodded and climbed on the bed next to Seulgi, “Feel any better?”

“Yeah, much, I think I just needed some food in my system.”

“Good, you need to make sure you drink plenty of fluids,” Wendy said.

Seulgi smiled, thinking of jokes but answered with a simple, “Thanks.”

“Your mind is working fine I see,” Wendy said, leaning into Seulgi.

“It is. May I ask you a question?”

“Sure,” Wendy said, “Shoot.”

“Why do you think they kicked me out?”

“I guess they knew about us and didn’t want to cause a scene in front of everyone. They didn’t let me know anything when I went back in. Just made me ramble around and talk to people as if nothing had happened.”

“Mrs. Shin almost caused a scene by herself, I was so angry. I know exactly what she was trying to say. But the words she was saying were utterly ridiculous. I wish I’d thought of some good jokes, but I was flustered. The only thing I made fun of was that punch. I gave her my opinion of the situation though.”

“I never want to see you treated that way again,” Wendy said.

Seulgi turned serious, “They treat you well, right?”

“Of course, I wish things had gone differently last night. I wish I could have helped,” Wendy stopped to think, “…look the people I work with every day are kind to me.”

“I’m just worried,” Seulgi said, her voice shy, “Clearly they didn’t like my presence at the event.”

“What are you trying to say, Seul?” Wendy asked, “Don’t hide.”

“What if they keep giving you flack about me? How can I change their minds about our relationship if they won’t even let me in? Is this how everyone sees me? A wild woman trying to corrupt the person I’m in love with? I’m devoted to you, enthusiastically in love with you.”

“People see what they want to see, and I only see you. I see how kind you are, how much you mean to your friends, your gracious attitude, and your passion. I see most of you except for the tiny bits that I haven’t untangled yet. Those pieces keep me guessing, keep me on my toes. They make you, you. If they continue to disrespect you, or our relationship, then I have options. They won’t change who I am inside. People like that can’t handle modern issues and situations. They’re stuck in a defunct past that is never coming back. They’re rude, obnoxious opinions and rules are unnecessary in today’s world. If they say anything else about you, then I won’t be afraid to leave. I’ll find something else to do. I’ve signed a contract with them, I know the terms. If they continue down this road, I’ll be prepared to terminate.”

“I won’t ask you to give up what you love for me,” Seulgi said quietly, “I don’t want you to be in any trouble.”

“I do love the job I have now, but I’m not in love with it. A job is a job, and you are you. Anyway, it’s done for now, and if it ever becomes an issue again, I won’t act as weakly as I did last night. I should have left with you at the very mention of getting kicked out, but I was stubborn and listened to orders. I’m sorry about that.”

“It’s alright, I know you didn’t have many options. I’m sorry that I came home drunk and let you worry about me.”

“Next time, we’ll be drinking together,” Wendy said.

“Ye-Jun made me leave the bar last night, said I needed to go home to my hot girlfriend,” Seulgi chuckled.

“And?”

“He was correct. On both accounts.”

Wendy laughed, “You were really hot last night, that outfit was wasted.”

“I know, I’ll wear it some other time,” Seulgi said.

“So, Wendy said, “Let’s talk about the room you redesigned for us.”

She turned and snuggled into Seulgi’s chest.

“I wanted you to have your own place to record and I wanted a place to paint and work on photo edits. Do you like it?” Seulgi asked.

“I love it,” Wendy said, “It’s awesome. Did you design everything yourself?”

“I had some help,” Seulgi said.

“When did you have the time?”

“It only took a couple of days, I tried my best to hide it from you.”

“You did a good job, I had no clue,” Wendy said, “And I can’t wait to try out the sound booth.”

“Do you want to check it out now?”

“Yes, I definitely want to check it out, but later. We have a day in bed to attend too.” Wendy said.

“What do you want to do?” Seulgi asked.

“Many things that we’re not ready to do yet,” She pushed Seulgi down to lay flat.

“Maybe you can show me some of those things?” Seulgi teased.

Wendy thought for a moment and decided  to throw a few of her cares away.

“I know you like to plan, Wen, but—“

“Be quiet,” Wendy said, “I’m about to kiss you.”

She leaned down and kissed Seulgi’s chin first, and Seulgi seemed surprised. Gentleness turned into Wendy on the skin there as though it were sugar. Their chat time was over for now, and neither of them minded. Wendy decided to work quickly, she moved down to her neck and buried herself there, nipping roughly with her teeth and listening to Seulgi hum with pleasure.

To Wendy, Seulgi was all unique parts. Someone quilted together to create something near perfection. The edges of her were rough, but the middle was soft and comfy. As she swiped her tongue across Seulgi’s neck, soothing the marks she’d made, she shivered at the thought that she was in the bed with this woman. She held tightly to Seulgi’s tank top and didn’t let go.

When Wendy was finished and had left her inscriptions, she lay back again, and cuddled into Seulgi. But Seulgi smirked and chose her spot next, not allowing the Wendy to rest.

The ridge of Wendy’s prominent collar bone was her response. A location Seulgi may have called her favorite place if not for Wendy’s abs, and lips. The list of favorite places was growing longer and she looked forward to adding more intimate locales soon. Seulgi worked her magic, an almost vampiric action that left small, red love bites and had Wendy . They were good at this. Really good. And Seulgi knew it was their love for each other that made it so good, meaningful. When the timing was right, all this rehearsal would be of use, and Seulgi was looking forward to that day.

Moving away from the edge, they hugged for a while with eyes closed, savoring the feeling of being close. Seulgi lifted Wendy’s shirt and massaged her back, and tickled her abs with light that caused Wendy’s skin to rise with tiny chill bumps.

“I really love these,” Seulgi said, still dancing across Wendy’s abs with her fingertips.

“Thank you,” Wendy barely said, her voice ravaged with emotion.

After the compliment, Wendy moved them further down the bed so that they could kiss again. They let themselves and their feelings ebb and flow like water. Seulgi watched happily as Wendy took over again, and though she wanted to follow their previous ritual from a few moments ago, Wendy decided to change the rhythm and make it sweeter. This time they were a bit milder, less chaotic. Seulgi still had her hand planted firmly under Wendy’s shirt, but Wendy was in control. Seulgi could feel the heat radiating off of her skin, and it made her as dizzy as she was last night, this time with want.

Wendy was glad they could work out their problems verbally first. The fight Seulgi had had last night left Wendy with a feeling of dread about work. Firstly, she didn’t understand this medieval attitude towards their relationship. Secondly, she wasn’t sure why she had gone back in when she should have just left with Seulgi. Now that they had talked, Wendy felt reassured that next time—if there was a next time—this happened, she would be fully prepared to do what was right.

This ability to completely bare her feelings to Seulgi assured that when moments turned physical it wasn’t and in future wouldn’t be because someone needed to apologize or persuade the other. That wouldn’t work and they both knew it.

Another thing that Wendy realized as she made out with Seulgi was how much she loved learning about her other half. The quirks of everyday life were something they hadn’t counted on before. The way Seulgi brushed her teeth with way too much toothpaste, her favorite cereal bowl, the way she lay on the couch when reading a book. These were the things Wendy was working to untangle, and her favorite was finding out all the things that turned Seulgi on. Scratching her scalp, teasing her ears, the place above Seulgi’s right hip that desperately loved to be touched.  She reached down and touched that place above the hip, and heard Seulgi react with a whimper. Wendy knew that Seulgi was learning her body and knew what knew what to do with it as well. Both appreciated this learning period before they dove in completely.

 

-----

 

When Wendy grazed her bottom lip finalizing the kiss, Seulgi spoke, “That was…so good.”

“It was,” Wendy looked down at her low cut top and saw the spot Seulgi had left, “The proof is here.”

“Sorry,” Seulgi said.

“It’s alright, I got your neck pretty good,” Wendy laughed, “Scarves in Summer won’t do though.”

“I don’t need a scarf, a tank top will be just fine,” Seulgi her lips and winked.

Wendy backed away and smiled, “Let’s take a picture on my phone.”

“Of my neck?”

“No, of us.”

Grabbing the phone from the nightstand, Wendy handed it directly to Seulgi who pressed the camera button. The image screen popped up and Seulgi pointed it toward them, “Will you kiss me in the picture?”

“Scandalous,” Wendy joked.

“It’ll be for my eyes only, I won’t share it, I promise I won’t let anyone see them after you’ve sent them to me,” Seulgi said seriously.

“I know that,” Wendy smiled, then obliged and even grabbed the phone herself. She understood exactly what Seulgi wanted, and took pictures as Seulgi kissed her lips lightly and cutely. The first few were blurry before they got the hang of it.

“Now funny faces, baby,” Seulgi said.

After they took all they wanted to, Seulgi held Wendy in her arms and they skimmed through the other photos on Wendy’s phone. Some memories popped up of when they had been apart for so long, and they talked about each one with elation, they were together again and that’s all that mattered.

“One more,” Seulgi said. She aimed the camera and they both smiled, at the last second Seulgi leaned in and kissed Wendy’s cheek, “I love you.”

 

-----

 

When they finally got out of bed late in the afternoon, Seulgi took Wendy into the newly designed room.

“I hope I can hear you singing more in here,” Seulgi said.

“I’ll never have to leave home,” Wendy joked.

“I’d never wish that on you,” Seulgi said, “But I wish you could work here…instead of—”

“—I know.”

“Anyway, go in the booth, let me take your picture,” Seulgi ran to the other room and got her camera, “Sing for me.”

Wendy sang a bit of a song while Seulgi snapped pictures.

 

-----

 

Later that evening they sat on the recliner again as they had the previous night.

“I know what happened last night was terrible,” Wendy said, wrapped around Seulgi, “But it’s allowed me to really think about my priorities, and whatever happens at work, my priority is simply you. I won’t let anyone single you out like that again.”

Seulgi tucked a strand of hair behind Wendy’s ear, “I’m used to tough talkers, and rough language, but as long as I have you, I’ll be calm, I won’t act out of anger as long as you’re with me.”

“I am, I’m with you.”

 

===

 

 

That’s Chapter 7 everyone! I got some really touching and inspiring comments on the last chapter. Not only do I enjoy seeing new comments, but they really motivate me, so thanks to everyone who took the time to comment. Thanks to my subscribers, and everyone reading as well. I send all those good vibes back out to each one of you. Chapter 8 will be posted soon, so please look forward to that. Until then!