A Storm

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

 

After spending the first Saturday together getting accustomed with one another again, and going to the grocery store on Sunday to pick out food for their meals, Wendy and Seulgi found themselves rarely seeing each other after that.

For the next couple of weeks the women were lost in their routines. During the day they worked and spending time together only occasionally happened at night because of Seulgi’s recently ramped up schedule.

The third Saturday, Seulgi, who had worked the previous weekends in the studio, told Wendy to clear her schedule because they were going to spend some serious down time together at the apartment. Wendy, having cooked many meals over the weeks was told the food would be taken care of.

Seulgi, though not confident with her skills planned out a date. The idea was dinner and a movie, which excited Wendy because she wanted to spend time with her roommate, and because she wouldn’t have to cook.

 

===

 

With date day Saturday upon them, Wendy was called in the morning saying she would need to come into work from 12-6. A new vocal project would be discussed and Wendy was a vital part of it. Though a bit sad that the date wouldn’t be all day, Seulgi told Wendy not to worry because she would take care of the food and when Wendy returned from work, everything would be ready for their date.

Worried that Seulgi would be alone until she returned, Wendy tried to protest to Seulgi that she would help as soon as she got back. Not hearing any of it, Seulgi shuffled Wendy out with an umbrella--due to a storm that was brewing outside—and Seulgi began her tasks to create the perfect date night.

 

===

 

Seulgi cleaned the apartment first and took care of the other chores that needed doing. Wendy was a hard worker when she was at the company and when she came home, and Seulgi wanted, no needed to show Wendy the vast appreciation she felt for her.  She started the soup she needed to make at 4:00 and also planned to make grilled cheese which she knew Wendy would love.

 

===

 

At 6:15, Wendy walked through the door, her coat and umbrella dripping wet from the rain. Seulgi, having been busy in the kitchen dropped what she was doing and met Wendy at the door, helping her with her things.

“It’s summer, but it’s still cold when it rains like that,” Wendy said, “It’s getting wild outside.”

“I know you’re cold,” Seulgi said, helping Wendy hang up her coat, “Was work okay?”

“Yeah, we’re trying to figure out what to do vocally with one of the artists. The company isn’t sure what style of song they want the group to debut with, and they don’t seem to agree with my comments. Anyway, I’ll get it sorted out when I talk to them personally. We’re meeting again on Monday.”

“Good, I know it’ll work out.”

“Thanks, Seul, I hope so.”

“Let me take you to your room, I want to show you something, looks like you may have to dry your hair.” Seulgi said, softly touching a wild strand of Wendy’s hair.

“I will,” Wendy whispered.

“I don’t want you to catch a cold, what I got you may help.”

 

===

 

They both entered the room where Wendy found something interesting on the bed, “A new sweatshirt? It’s really cute,” Wendy said, holding it up to herself and showing a cute teddy bear on blue material, “Thanks, Seulgi-ah.”

“I-I got one for me too,” Seulgi said shyly, “I wanted to wear them together.”

“A couple shirt? I didn’t know you were into that sort of thing,” Wendy chuckled.

“I’m not, but I just thought it might be fun to wear them sometime. I know it’s summertime, but it’s nice to wear something warm on gloomy days like this. Mine’s orange, but it has the same bear. It’ll definitely keep you toasty though.”

“A bear wearing a bear shirt, cute!” Wendy said.

Seulgi blushed.

“Let me get these wet clothes off, and I’ll put this on, okay?” Seulgi nodded cutely but didn’t leave.

“Do you want to help me? I don’t mind.”

“Oh, sorry,” Seulgi said. She turned and left Wendy so she could change.

 

===

 

After drying her hair, and slipping on the new oversized shirt—Wendy’s favorite kind of shirt—Wendy looked in the mirror to brush her hair and then heard a horrifying scream coming from the kitchen.

“Noooooo,” Seulgi shouted.

Wendy dropped her brush and ran out of the room. In the kitchen she found a sad bear staring solemnly at her food creations.

 

===

 

“What’s wrong, Seul?” Wendy asked, joining her at the stove.

“I used sugar,” Seulgi whispered.

“What?”

“In the soup, I used sugar instead of salt. It’s disgusting, we can’t eat it.”

“Let me try it first, maybe we can salvage it,” Wendy said, reaching for the spoon.

“No, please don’t, I already tried to save it, it’s worse than before,” Seulgi  covered her face with her hands, “Oh gosh, this is so embarrassing.”

Wendy reached for Seulgi, pulling her into a hug, “Calm down, it’s going to be okay. What’s in the oven?” Wendy asked, “We can just eat that instead.”

“Oh my gosh! The grilled cheese!” Seulgi shouted, pulling away from Wendy’s embrace. She opened the oven only to find that the grilled cheese was burnt to a crisp, smoke swirled, Wendy hit the overhead fan to clear the kitchen.

“It’s completely inedible,” Seulgi whined, staring at the mess

Wendy looked to the burnt cheese and bread, “It’s toast,” she joked.

“Too soon,” Seulgi said dejectedly, “I just wanted to do something nice for you and now look what’s happened.”

“It’s okay, Seul, let’s just eat ramen or something.”

“…We don’t have any.”

“I thought we bought the family size with forty-eight packs,” Wendy said, surprised.

“We did, but the crew was hungry one day and we ate it…all of it.”

Wendy marveled, “Wow, you guys must have been starving.”

Seulgi groaned. She was determined not to ruin the night completely.

“I can’t believe you and the crew ate all of it, that’s actually amazing,” Wendy said.

“It’s not amazing right now, I’m about to ruin this date,” Seulgi said. She wracked her brain and came up with a solution, not an ideal solution, but something that may get them some food to eat, “I’ll go out and get some ramen at the convenience store across the street. We don’t have much else to eat, and I won’t be long.”

“You can’t, it’s really bad out there,” Wendy said, “Just stay with me. We’ll eat cereal if we have too,” Wendy grabbed Seulgi’s hand in protest.

“About that…” Seulgi whispered, “It’s all gone.”

“The cereal too? There were like three boxes.”

Seulgi nodded, “We, no actually they were hungry, we were in the studio for hours. ”

“I don’t want you to go out there, it might be dangerous.”

“I can’t ruin this date, I’ll be right back.” And before Wendy could say anything else, Seulgi ran, grabbed her coat, wallet by the door, and rushed out.

After Seulgi left, Wendy realized they could have just ordered takeout, but she knew Seulgi wanted to be in charge tonight, and by now it was too late to chase after her. Wendy cleaned the soup pot and tray that the grilled cheese had been on and then went to the living room to wait. She sat on a chair facing the door so she could see Seulgi when she returned. She waited quietly until she noticed an essential item that Seulgi had left in her rush to leave.

An umbrella.

Now she was worried.

 

===

 

Seulgi realized when she got outside what Wendy had meant by a storm. Seulgi could barely see ahead of her,  with the wind whipping and the rain pounding her face. It was worse than she originally imagined.

She knew now that she should have just stayed by Wendy’s side, and scrounged up something to eat rather than run out of the house like a wild animal to scavenge for food at the local mart. Or her precious takeout food would have worked as well. It would have been safer, and by now they could have been cuddling on the couch eating popcorn or noodles or whatever they could find. 

Though she hadn’t spent as much time with Wendy as she’d wanted too—because of her hectic schedule—her favorite thing was to come home in the evening and spend time with Wendy on the couch. Nothing serious had arisen romantically yet, and she was okay with that. They often just held hands and discussed their days. Sometimes they poured themselves a drink and laughed for hours at old stories or funny things that happened at work. It was warm, their relationship. Wendy was warm. Her eyes, voice, body, all smooth and shimmering. Wendy made Seulgi’s heart prickle with something that resembled love. But now it was too late to think of that, her warm thoughts were washed away by the cold rain. Right now she was determined to finish her quest. Just a few more feet and she would be in the safe, dry, and fluorescent paradise of the convenience store.

 

===

 

Inside the store, the owner behind the register was lonely, having not had a customer since the early afternoon, she stood with a file and worked out the stray edges of her finger nails. Still a few hours left before she could close.

Suddenly the bell rang, startling the owner out of her reverie, and the door flew open wildly, as if by itself.  The bell and the door were soon followed by someone panting, and dripping rainwater on the floor. Maybe a ghost, maybe a woman looking for something quick to patch up the holes in the date night she’d planned.

Unsure of what to do, the owner walked closer to the winded figure and was shocked by whom she found, “Miss Kang, is that you?” Seulgi held up an okay sign until she caught her breath.

“Yes, it’s me, Mrs. Park. I need your help.”

“What’s the matter?” Mrs. Park asked, concern written on her face.

“I cooked dinner for my girlfri—my friend and I completely ruined it. Do you have anything in here good enough to eat for a date night?”

“You ran all the way here in the storm for a date night?” Mrs. Park asked.

“Yes, for my girlfri—my friend who is also my roommate.”

Mrs. Park seemed unconcerned by the information Seulgi was spilling about her “friend.” Instead she rushed away to find something to give the rain-soaked woman. Seulgi followed close behind her, dripping as she went.

“We have cup noodles, and kimbap. I’m not sure if that’s good enough for a date night, but take what you need.”

Seulgi had picked out a few items, when she came across the toaster oven on the back counter where people could toast pre-made sandwiched for lunch, “Mrs. Park, do you have any bread? Like loaf bread?”

“Yeah, I have some in the break room, why?”

“What about cheese? Do you have any?”

“Yeah I have some cheese back there too. Just the cheap single slice kind.”

“That kind is actually perfect. I have a plan, will you help me?”

Mrs. Park nodded and they got to work.

 

===

 

They finished not long after that, putting the finished product, ironically, in a takeout box. Seulgi gave Mrs. Park a high-five and pulled out her wallet to pay for the items and the trouble she’d caused.

Mrs. Park shook her head and pushed the wallet away, “There’s no need to pay me, you’ve brought a lot of excitement to me tonight, besides a lot of my business comes straight from your building. Don’t worry about paying Miss Kang.”

“But—“

“If you really want to pay me, bring your “friend” over here sometime,” Mrs. Park said with air quotes, “I want to see who our Seulgi’s in love with.”

“I’m not in lo—“

“Sure,” Mrs. Park said, with a knowing glance.

Seulgi smiled and shook Mrs. Park’s hand, “It’s a deal, I’ll bring her.”

“Be careful out there, see you soon, preferably sometime next week, maybe Wednesday night?”

“I’ll be here, we’ll be here,” Seulgi replied. She zipped her Jacket back up gave one last wave to Mrs. Park, and ventured back out into the stormy street.

 

===

 

Wendy was anxious. It had been a while since Seulgi had rushed out, and with the storm, there was no telling what could happen. She wanted to go out and find her, but waiting was the best option for now, “She’ll be back soon,” Wendy said out loud.

Just as Wendy said this, someone crashed through the door, hair sopping wet, clothes plastered to her body, Seulgi yelled out in triumph, “Mission accomplished!”

Wendy ran to Seulgi’s side and took the bag of food from her, “You’re soaking wet, Seul. You need to get out of those clothes and dry off.”

“Want to help me?” Seulgi asked suggestively, also echoing what Wendy had asked earlier.

Wendy laughed as she saw Seulgi wiggling her eyebrows, “Go jump in the shower and put your couple shirt on, I’ll sort out the food.”

“Yes ma’am,” Seulgi said.

When Seulgi escaped to her bedroom, Wendy found herself pulling out the hodge-podge of food that  Seulgi had somehow collected.

“I can cook the cup noodles in the microwave. Kimpbap, cookies,” Then Wendy saw a Styrofoam takeout plate with a lid, “Wonder what this is?”

She pulled it out of the bag and popped the lid. Seeing the contents, she smiled, “Grilled Cheese.”

 

===

 

Wendy heated and prepared the food, and not long after, Seulgi rejoined her wearing the orange couple shirt.

“You got grilled cheese,” Wendy smiled.

“Yeah, I know you like them, and I ruined the other batch so…”

“How did you get it?”

“I got a little help across the street.”

“Well, whoever it was, tell them I said thank you.”

“You can tell her yourself. I promised I’d stop by Wednesday night. Mrs. Park, she owns the convenience store across the street, she wants to meet the girl I ran out into the storm for.”

“I look forward to meeting her, it was really nice of her to help us out.”

“I know she was really accommodating, ready to eat?”

“Of course,” Wendy replied.

 

===

 

Full from their potluck meal, Wendy settled on the bed, as Seulgi set up the DVD player. They had ventured into Seulgi’s room to watch the movie that Seulgi had picked out.

“The grilled cheese was really tasty,” Wendy said, “You made it inside the store?”

“Yeah, with Mrs. Park’s help. She had one of those toaster ovens, maybe I should invest in one. Anyway, I’m glad you liked it,” Seulgi said, smiling brightly.

“We can go shopping again soon, I’ll help you pick one out, though, if it’s just for my benefit, I don’t want you to go to the trouble,” Wendy said.

“It’s not, I want some grilled cheese on the regular too.”

Wendy laughed, “Good.”

Seulgi joined Wendy on the bed but stayed on her side. Seulgi’s bed was large, so a vast ocean of covers, sheets, and pillows separated them, “Ready to watch the movie?”

“Yes,” Wendy replied.

 

===

 

The movie was a thriller, a genre they both enjoyed, but some of the elements were intense, and Wendy found herself more alert than usual. An hour passed as they relaxed together.

An action sequence was building on screen and Wendy found herself leaning closer to Seulgi for comfort. It wasn’t often that Wendy found herself afraid of what may happen during a movie, but this movie had her jumping several times.

The lead character was walking in an underground tunnel with a light torch, when he began to hear strange noises ahead of him.

The noises continued as he continued to walk.

Walk.

Walk.

The noises stopped.

And then…

Something in the darkness grabbed him and the torch he’d been carrying was extinguished.

At this pivotal moment, by some strange timing, the lights flickered inside the apartment, and the power went out, leaving the pair in shock.

 

===

 

Wendy gasped, and tried to reach for Seulgi’s hand but couldn’t quite reach. As Seulgi’s eyes became accustomed to the dark room, she saw Wendy’s shaking hand and held it.

 “I didn’t think anything else could go wrong tonight, I’m sorry for picking this movie, now you’re scared. Everything has been ruined,” Seulgi whispered.

Wendy scooted closer and entwined her fingers with Seulgi’s, “Nothing is ruined, I’m here with you and that’s all I care about.  We’ll finish watching the movie when the power comes back on. It’s not that scary. It was just strange how the power went out at that exact moment.”

“It may be awhile before the power comes back on. Let me go get some matches and light the candles in here.”

“No,” Wendy said suddenly, “Stay here with me.”

“Are you afraid?” Seulgi asked quietly, “You said you weren’t.”

“A little, just a little.”

“Of the dark?”

“Yes,” Wendy said meekly, “Not the movie.”

“I’ll stay with you then, come here.”

Wendy slid the rest of the way over and found herself being wrapped in Seulgi’s arms, their bodies closer than ever. Wendy could smell Seulgi’s body wash, the delicious scent washed over her in waves. Seulgi hummed a song, and Wendy calmed down. They cuddled and waited.

 

===

 

Wendy awoke suddenly and found that the power had been restored, the television playing out the rest of the movie. Seulgi was asleep, and Wendy looked to the clock to see that it was just past midnight. She was still wrapped in Seulgi’s warm embrace.

“Seulgi-ah?” Wendy asked, shaking Seulgi’s arms that was wrapped around her, “I need to get up.”

After a few moments, Seulgi finally stirred and opened her eyes to see Wendy staring back at her.

“Seulgi-ah, I’d better go to my room.”

“Stay in bed with me,” Seulgi groaned, “Let’s turn the covers back and stay in here together.”

Wendy was tempted by the offer to stay by Seulgi’s side, but knew it wasn’t the time yet, even if they were only going to sleep.

“Not tonight, I’ll go back to my room,” Wendy whispered.

“You want to leave me?” Seulgi asked, a twinge of melancholy present in her sleepy tone.

“Of course not, I would spend every night in here with you, but it’s not the right time to start doing that.”

“I want you here,” Seulgi said, the sleep suddenly gone from her voice.

“Trust me, I want to turn back the covers right now and sleep beside you. You’re so warm and your bed is comfortable, but let’s do what we said, and take it slow.”

Seulgi smiled, knowing that Wendy felt the same way she did, just showing it in a different way, “Alright, but you’ll be moving in here soon. I plan to sweep you off your feet.”

“I don’t doubt that, I look forward to your plans, and more grilled cheese.” Wendy leaned in and kissed Seulgi’s cheek, “We’ll finish the movie tomorrow—today—this afternoon, whenever, and we’ll move this cuddling session to the couch. It’s my favorite pastime at the moment.”

“Mine too. Alright if I can’t persuade you to stay,” Seulgi said, “Goodnight.”

 

===

 

Wendy reluctantly left Seulgi’s room and went to her own. She slipped into the cold bed, and shivered. Though she knew she’d made the right decision to leave Seulgi’s room for tonight, she knew the day was coming where she wouldn’t have to leave, and she looked forward to that. For now she could only think of the contrast between her current chilly covers, her warm Seulgi, and warm Seulgi’s warm bed.

 

===

 

On Wednesday, as they had planned, Seulgi found herself walking up and down the aisles of Mrs. Park’s convenience store. She had been shushed away from the conversation Wendy was now having, by a forceful, yet smiling Mrs. Park.

“Miss Kang, I need to speak with Seungwan alone, pick out some ice cream or something, it’s on the house.”

“But I—“

“Just go, find something for us to snack on,” Wendy whispered, she squeezed Seulgi’s hand, “I’ll update you about this later.”

Seulgi saluted them and went on her merry way.

 

===

 

Seulgi loved to carry her camera around everywhere with her. Angles and light, she liked seeing the world this way, Even now as she stood behind a shelf covered with snacks and watched as Wendy laughed and talked with Mrs. Park, she couldn’t help but pull the viewfinder to her eye, focus the lens, and capture the moment of Wendy making a new friend.

She often glanced at Wendy and marveled at how she could go from cute to gorgeous in the blink of an eye, or in this case, a click of the shutter.

“…”I’m so glad to have met you,” Mrs. Park said to Wendy, “You must stop by and chat often, looks like Seulgi’s finally found her match.”

Wendy blushed, Seulgi remained oblivious as she continued to play with her camera, behind a row of potato chips.

“…I will Mrs. Park, I’m glad Seulgi brought me to meet you, I’ll be back soon…”

“Seulgi, you can show yourself now,” Mrs. Park said.

“Thanks gosh!” Seulgi said.

“Did you find anything good to eat?” Wendy asked.

“Yeah, this time I’m paying.”

“I got it,” Wendy said.

“But I—“

“Let her take care of you too Seulgi,” Mrs. Park said as she rang up the purchases.

“Okay, I will.”

Wendy paid, and they said their goodbyes to Mrs. Park with a promise to return soon. The bell jangled as a customer walked in, and the pair knew it was time to go.

 

===

 

As they walked home in the glorious, golden light of evening, Wendy held tight to Seulgi’s arm, while the latter busily flipped through the photos she’d just taken.

“You seemed a little out of it at the store,” Wendy said.

“Sorry, I was a little preoccupied; Mrs. Park said she wanted to talk to you anyway. She was having an A/B conversation.” Seulgi said, still scrolling.

“And you had to C your way out, right? Those corny jokes don’t work on me, Seul.”

“Hey, I tried.”

Wendy adjusted the bag of snacks and put it on her left wrist, “What are you looking at?” Wendy asked, trying to catch a glimpse of the camera’s display.

“Nothing,” Seulgi tried to turn the camera off but failed as Wendy caught a few fleeting previews.

“Did you take photos of me while we were in the store?”

Seulgi hid her eyes, knowing she’d been caught.

“Seul, look at me.”

Seulgi looked up.

“Let me see them,” Wendy said gently, with a smile. Seulgi relented and handed the camera over. Wendy handed the snack bag to Seulgi to hold while she looked.

Wendy slid through the photos, “Why did you take these? I look—“

“You were so beautiful standing there. The way you laughed, and smiled. I couldn’t resist taking these,” Seulgi explained.

Wendy reddened at Seulgi’s admission, “I don’t have any make up on though, and my hair’s in a messy bun—“

“I love the way you look without makeup,” Seulgi interjected, “You’re so vibrant, fresh, and gorgeous. I-I really want to keep these, but if you say the word I’ll delete them. They’re—you’re too beautiful to delete, but I respect you. I care about you. I hope this isn’t awkward. I’m sorry if it is.”

Seulgi reached for her camera, which Wendy hastily returned, and scrolled through the menu to find the format option that would delete everything on her SD card. With Seulgi’s finger one click away, Wendy reached out and stopped her.

“No, don’t delete them or format the card, I really don’t mind that you took the photos…”

“Really?”

“Yeah, it’s what you do. It’s not awkward for you to have photos of me. Keep them, what you’ve said has made me feel good.”

“You deserve to feel good, besides, I was just being honest. That’s how I feel when I’m around you. My heart tingles, and my brain goes haywire.”

Wendy blushed deeper, and Seulgi realized she’d found someone more important than a muse or friend—though still unsure what name to put to it yet—

“—Then you can take pictures of me whenever you like if I make you feel that way,“ Wendy said, “It sounds like the feelings I get when I’m around you.”

“Awesome,” Seulgi replied, “Glad it’s mutual.” She put her camera back on her shoulder, and the pair walked closer to their apartment.

Seulgi had found the last love of her life. Oh, she knew she was in love, there was no doubt in her mind. They both were. But last loves are hard to come by and though she hadn’t yet come to that full realization, her heart knew, and if only for tonight—as they glided down the sidewalk, bathed in caramel light—that was enough for this moment.  Her heart would know that last loves are made to last forever, and it would wait until she, until they both were ready.

 

 

=====

 

 

I've gotten some really awesome responses for this story and you don't know how much I appreciate it! All the comments and subscribers are great! Thanks for checking out my story! I'll be back soon with the next chapter. Let me know what you tink of this one.