Home

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

 

They flew above the airport in Seoul and circled the clouds waiting to land. This time, Wendy held on tightly to Seugi’s hand in the aisle seat and waited for their eventual descent. She could feel the cool metal of Seulgi’s ring and looked down at her own ring on her right thumb—the hand not connected with Seulgi’s.

They hadn’t been excited to travel back home, but now that the city was visible outside Seulgi’s window, they itched to get back to their apartment, if only to sleep in their own bed, on their own pillows, under their own sheets.

 

-----

 

Seulgi glanced over at Wendy who was busy twirling her thumb ringer with her own fingers. She knew Wendy was nervous about the business offer and Seulgi wanted nothing more than to reassure her about the prospect of it all, but that could only happen after the offer was made and then they would be able to sit down and decide together. Seulgi had decided that Wendy wasn’t necessarily worried about the offer itself, just the fact that she had no clue what was going to happen. Seulgi wasn’t sure what any of it meant either, she was just as clueless as Wendy, but still she wanted to ease Wendy’s mind. The unknown had upset their balance and Seulgi needed that balance back in order to make the right decisions when the time came.

 Until they met face-to-face with whomever had made the “major” offer, Seulgi knew that Wendy would be a bundle of nerves, tightly bound and waiting to electrify once the news was heard. So now as she looked over at Wendy, her precious Wendy, she wanted to somehow console her calm her thoughts, but that wouldn’t be possible, she spoke though, in a soft tone that she hoped would please Wendy’s ear and comfort her.

“Thinking?” Seulgi asked.

“Yes,” Wendy said, “Of things out of our control.”

Seulgi looked at Wendy carefully, her profile still concentrated on the rings that were on their fingers, “I’m thinking too.”

“Of what?” Wendy asked gently. Seulgi waited a moment before she spoke. Now was the time to ease Wendy’s mind if only for a moment, now was the time for a distraction.

“I think I want some cinnamon rolls,” Seulgi said suddenly. Her quiet voice stopped Wendy from twisting the ring on her thumb, and she looked over at Seulgi with wide, doe-like eyes. Those eyes, Seulgi thought, so full of wonder and love, and sometimes mischief. Seulgi wanted to dive into them.

Wendy’s eyebrows finally furrowed in a question as she noticed that Seulgi was not going to look away from her eyes. She saw that Seulgi was looking at her with devotion and she knew she needed to say something back to her smiling girlfriend, “Cinnamon rolls?”

“Mmm,” Seulgi hummed, thinking of a pleasant memory, “Remember those first few days that you were in my apartment? When you made those cinnamon rolls for breakfast before you went to work?”

“Yes,” Wendy smiled back, “That was when I thought you were just an innocent girl, sleepy and warm and confused from your bed. You proved that thought wrong rather quickly. When I came home from work that day you teased me.”

“Yeah, “ Seulgi thought, remembering their conversations from that night and her flirtation with Wendy, “The icing was really good, I remember that for sure, you made it from scratch, right?”

“Yeah,” Wendy said, “But was is really that good, or are you just saying that to make conversation?”

“No, it was really great, you need to make some more for me.”

“I’ll make some this week, when we get settled back in at the apartment,” Wendy said, “Soon.”

“Awesome, thank you. But hold back some if the icing,” Seulgi requested.

“Why, what for?”

“It was tasty but I can definitely think of some better places to put the icing than on the cinnamon rolls,” Seulgi said, looking directly into Wendy’s eyes again.

“What do you—oh I understand,” Wendy said, realizing what Seulgi meant. The cinnamon roll conversation had taken a naughty turn.

Seulgi chuckled lightly, “Yeah, I’m not innocent, the leftover icing is meant for you…for your body. That would be really tasty I think,” Seulgi seemed deep in thought for a moment before she spoke again, “Maybe messy but definitely worth it.”

Wendy blushed.

“So…are you still thinking about the offer and things out of our control?” Seulgi asked, “That’s what you were thinking about before, right?”

“Yes,” Wendy admitted.

“Darn, I thought the cinnamon roll talk would distract you.”

“It did, baby, it distracted me. I know you’re not innocent, but y?” Wendy flipped the conversation as Seulgi had, “You’re trying to cheer me up. I’m not sad, I’m here with you, and you look so good. You’re y even when you don’t know it.”

Seulgi smiled.

“You’re not innocent, but your heart is pure. I trust that you’ll include me in your decision, whatever happens, whatever it is.”

“I promise,” Seulgi said, “Tell me more about how y I am.”

Wendy was about to answer but the pilot came over the intercom and asked the passengers to prepare for landing. They fastened their seatbelts and entwined their hands again.

“You’re y and lovely, and gorgeous and mine,” Wendy said, “I love you.”

“I love you too,”  Seulgi replied, “Let’s go home.”

“Home Wendy thought, “That’s a beautiful word.”         

 

 

===

 

 

A crowd of people waited in the airport lobby. They waited for family, friends, and loved ones to slide down the escalators fresh from their planes to join with them once again. Irene, Joy, and Yeri stood off to the side and waited for their friends. Wendy and Seulgi’s plane had just landed and the flight time board had been updated to reflect that.

“Do you think Wendy is nervous about the offer?” Joy asked Irene.

“Yes, I’m nervous too, and I already know who it’s from. Let’s not mention it just yet unless they say something, got it Yeri?”

“Yes, I understand. I won’t say anything until Seulgi and Wendy know exactly what’s going on. I would even know what to say. You two know more than me anyway.”

“Thanks, Yeri-ah,” Irene said.

“No problem, unnie.”

 

-----

 

With their bags in tow, the pair made their way down the escalator and saw their friend waiting in the lobby. At the bottom, the three greeted them with smiles and hugs.

“Welcome home,” Irene said.

“Thanks,” Seulgi replied.

“It’s good to be back and see all of you,” Wendy said.

“Really?” Yeri asked, smiling brightly.

“Of course,” Seulgi said, “We missed everyone.”

“Ready to head home? Back to work tomorrow,” Joy said.

“Yeah, we’re ready to get back into the swing of things,” Seulgi answered.

“And ready to hear the news,” Wendy said quietly.

Joy glanced at Irene. Wendy’s words were sincere but tinged with something that sounded like sadness.

“She has great intuition,” Irene thought to herself.

“Let’s help you with your bags,” Joy said. She grabbed one and wheeled it behind her.

“Let’s go home,” Wendy said to Seulgi, she took her hand and they began their walk out.

“Home,” Seulgi thought, “That’s a beautiful word.”

 

-----                     

 

Finally back on solid ground and tucked neatly into their couch at their apartment, Wendy and Seulgi relaxed against each other and watched as their friends ran around the room and into the kitchen. Irene was busy fixing plates of food for them to eat, and Joy and Yeri were close behind her. She had done the prep work at her apartment, but brought it upstairs as Joy and Yeri helped them unpack so they wouldn’t have to do it alone later.

Irene spooned the steak mixture over the sandwich rolls, Joy added the condiments, and Yeri put the top on each one and placed them on plates for everyone.

“If anyone wants more than one,” Irene said to Joy and Yeri, “We have plenty left.”

“Alright,” Joy said, “Want to head to the living room?”

“Yeah, take the tray and put the plates on it, Joy,” Irene said, “Yeri and I will get drinks.”

Joy walked into the living room, and saw Wendy leaning on Seulgi, the pair were asleep, tired from their journey.

“Wake up,” Joy said, “Dinner’s ready.”

One of Wendy’s eyes opened and she groaned, “Still the same Joy I know and love.”

“You bet,” Joy said. She sat the chair down on the coffee table and took one of the plates, “Here, Wendy, take this one.”

Wendy took the plate, one eye still closed, and the delicious smell of the steak jerked Seulgi awake.

“Food?” Seulgi asked.

“Yes, baby,” Wendy said, “All Irene-Unnie’s doing.”

“Mmm, smells good.”

Wendy took a quick bite of the sandwich, “It is good.”

Irene and Yeri came in with the drinks, “Is Seulgi awake?” Irene asked.

“Yeah,” Joy said, taking a huge bite from her portion, “The smell woke her up.” Joy’s mouth was full so her words were garbled.

“Chew first,” Irene said to Joy.

Joy saluted Irene and stopped talking.

“Here’s a drink, Wendy-Unnie,” Yeri said, “And one for Seulgi-Unnie.”

“Thanks, Yeri,” Seulgi moaned, “Her eyes still shut.”

“Get up sleepyhead,” Irene laughed, “Eat some food, and tell us all about your trip.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Seulgi said. She sat up then and took a plate from the tray. Wendy popped her drink open, they ate, and then they talked about their adventures.

 

-----

 

After the food was cleared and the stories were told, Wendy went into their bedroom and fished out a plastic bag from her tote that she’d carried with her on the plane. Seulgi was still busy talking to Irene when Wendy rejoined them.

“Do you want to do it now?” Wendy asked, looking to Seulgi.

Seulgi smiled in return and nodded, “Now’s a good a time as any.”

“We have something for each of you,” Wendy said, “Seulgi wanted to pick something out that we all could share together.”

Seulgi spoke then, “It’s not anything big, just a thank you for taking care of everything while we were gone, and more so a token of how much you mean to us. We have one too.”

Wendy reached into the plastic bag and pulled out three separate and smaller clear bags that contained something shiny. Irene looked in awe as Wendy handed hers to her with a smile. Each of them got one, and then Wendy took Seulgi’s and her bags out as well.

Joy was the first to open hers, and inside was a necklace with a green charm on it. Yeri took hers out and her charm was purple. Irene took hers out and it was pink. Seulgi’s was the yellow-orange that matched her ring, And Wendy’s was a vibrant blue. Each charm was engraved with the initial of their first names.

“This is so cool,” Joy said, “Thank you unnies.”

Yeri put hers on immediately and looked up with watery eyes, “Thank you.”

Seulgi smiled and took Yeri’s hand, “You’re welcome.”

Irene looked at hers and smiled, “This is amazing,” she said, “Thank you so much.”

“Thank you, unnie,” Seulgi said, “For holding down the fort while we were away. Irene unclasped hers and put it on. Wendy and Seulgi helped each other with theirs.

“You don’t have to wear it all the time,” Wendy said, “But we just wanted you to know how much you’re a part of us.”

“I wouldn’t be where I am without you, and I can’t repay you’re for the kindness you’ve shown me, but maybe this will remind you of your friendships with me, with Wendy, with everyone.”

“To the sisterhood,” Joy shouted, and they all laughed.

“Yes,” Seulgi said smiling, “Something like that.”

 

-----

 

The time came for them to leave and head back to their apartments, Yeri was going to stay with Joy for the evening so she wouldn’t have to head home so late, and since they’d decided to leave Irene’s things in the kitchen until the next day, she was ready to head back to hers. Seulgi and Wendy hugged everyone and walked them to the door. Joy and Yeri walked out of the apartment first, and Irene stayed behind to talk with Seulgi and Wendy for a moment.

“I want you to know that I know about the offer,” Irene said quietly.

“Really?” Seulgi asked.

“Yes, it’s…amazing to say the least, and I’m excited for you to hear about it. It’s a big decision for both of you,” Irene said looking at Wendy, “And whatever you decide when you find out, I’m behind you all the way.”

“Thanks, unnie,” Wendy replied. Seulgi nodded.

“I can’t wait for you to find out so I don’t have to keep it a secret,” Irene said.

“Is it tough?” Seulgi asked, “Keeping it from us.”

“Very,” Irene answered, “I’ve wanted to spill it all night, but stamped down the thoughts of telling you since it’s supposed to be a surprise.”

“Well, no worries, the secret will be revealed tomorrow,” Wendy said.

Irene nodded, “Well, I’ll head downstairs now, see you two tomorrow.”

“Goodnight, unnie,” Seulgi said.

“Thank for the food, and everything,” Wendy said.

Irene grasped at the metal around her neck, “Thanks for this.”

Seulgi smiled, “You’re welcome, unnie.”

Wendy opened the door and they both hugged Irene one last time before she walked out. When the door was shut and locked again, the pair headed for the bedroom and collapsed on their bed.

“We’re home,” Seulgi whispered.

“Yes,” Wendy said. She turned toward Seulgi and kissed her cheek, “Home for now, and with a thousand ideas floating through our minds of what may come tomorrow.”

“About the offer…yes, you’re right,” Seulgi said, “Let’s wait and see.”

“For now will you hold me?”

“Of course, it’s my favorite thing to do,” Seulgi said and she turned from her back to look at Wendy.

“I thought you liked to do this…” Wendy popped a button on her shirt and watched as Seulgi’s eyes went directly to where her hands worked on the burnished metal.

“I like that too,” Seulgi said, “Need some help?”

Wendy grinned and leaned in to kiss Seulgi on the lips, “I need all the help I can get.”

“Are you not tired?” Seulgi asked as she took control of the buttons.

“No, we’re home, and I want to feel you.”

“Mmm,” Seulgi moaned as Wendy caressed her cheek, “Home.”

 

===

 

That's 20! Thank you for your continued support, I appreciate it so much. Almost all of 21 is finished, I just want to tweak a few things, so anticipate that being posted a little later in the week! Subscribe and comment, and thanks so much for reading!