Closer Than We Were

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

 

1. The Plane

 

Wendy and Seulgi found themselves on the airplane, it felt like midday to them, but Seulgi couldn’t be sure. The hours had faded in and out quickly or slowly, she didn’t know, and time zones zoomed past as they flew over the Pacific. They splurged on their tickets and were sitting next to one another in comfortable seats. Seulgi came up with the idea. Though she never really liked sitting in the exclusive part of the plane, this vacation was their first one together, and she wanted to treat Wendy well through all of it. Wendy had protested that it would be too much to upgrade their tickets, but Seulgi calmly shook her head and said it would be fine.

“I don’t want you to have to pay for these first class seats, baby,” Wendy said.

“It’s just on the way there, I want us to be comfortable and relaxed. On the return trip, we’ll sit in economy,” Seulgi said.

“Well, if you really want too, but just this once okay?” Wendy asked.

“Just this once, next time we go on vacation we’ll be more adventurous,” Seulgi said, “I’m already thinking about where we can go with just one bag for both of us. I’ve made it my challenge.”

“Wendy smiled, “I’d go anywhere with you, even if we only had one bag.”

Now Seulgi sat in her comfortable seat Seulgi  and looked out over the vast ocean through the tiny, round window. She held a sleeping Wendy’s hand and glanced over every now and then to see her beautiful face upon her own shoulder.

Around Seulgi’s thumb was the ring Wendy had given her the night before. She wasn’t used to wearing a lot of jewelry, but this piece was special, something she wanted to look at every day. Seulgi took her rubbed each of Wendy’s fingers with her own ringed thumb, caressed them lightly and watched as Wendy smiled in her sleep at the touch. Seulgi loved that even the smallest of her touches affected Seungwan, it made her feel content that they were connected on such a deep level.  She was careful not to awaken Wendy but continued over each in a pattern. The thumb, the index, the middle, the ring, the one finger Seulgi loved the most. A ring—she had decided—would look particularly stunning on Wendy’s ring finger. But for now it would remain empty until the time was right, and Seulgi looked forward to slipping something beautiful onto Wendy’s precious hand.

 

-----

 

They had been on the plane for hours and still had a long way to go before they touched down in Florida. Seulgi was happy they were going so far from home and she looked forward to spending her days with Seungwan with little to no worries.

Wendy was still asleep and Seulgi thought about all they were going to do when they finally landed. She could almost smell the salty air and feel the breeze on her face, and more than anything she looked forward to holding Wendy’s hand while they watched the sun sink beneath the waves.

As if on cue, Wendy’s eyes blinked and opened, she squeezed Seulgi’s hand and spoke softly, “I’m guessing we’re not there yet.”

“No, baby,” Seulgi said, “Not yet, but we’re closer than we were when we started.”

“Good,” Wendy said, “I can’t wait to be there with you. To feel the sun on our faces and hold your hand like we’re doing now.”

“Me too,” Seulgi said, “I was just thinking about it, sunshine.”

“I like that nickname,” Wendy said, “You’ve been calling me that a lot lately.”

“You are sunshine. I love watching your face light up, I love the way you look at me, and your smile is so cheerful. Maybe it’s cheesy, but you really brighten my day.

Wendy held tighter to Seulgi’s hand and leaned into Seulgi’s shoulder again, not to sleep, just to be close again, “You know I feel the same way, right?”

“I know,” Seulgi kissed the top of Wendy’s head and smiled at the feeling of being beside someone so lovely and caring. Wendy really was her own personal sunshine.

 

-----

 

They stepped foot back on solid ground in the mid Florida morning. Already the sun was beaming through the giant airport windows and though both were tired, they smiled excitedly, ready to venture out into the golden light.

Before that, they got their bags and then went through customs and to the rental car counter where they received their keys.

“Thanks,” Seulgi said, suddenly.

“For what?” Wendy asked as they made their way through the rest of the airport.

“For driving, I’m a little afraid.”

“You’re welcome,” Wendy said, “I’m happy to drive us.”

Seulgi only nodded and grabbed Wendy’s free hand. They made their way to the exit and stepped out into the humidity of the morning.

“Hot,” Wendy said, looking at Seulgi.

“Thanks,” Seulgi replied, “You’re not so bad yourself.”

Wendy cringed but chuckled, “Cheeseball.”

“You love me,” Seulgi replied, smiling deviously.

“I sure do,” Wendy agreed.

They found their car, a cute little blue one and put their stuff in the trunk.

“Ready?” Wendy asked.

“Yeah, let’s roll.” Seulgi said in English.

 

-----

 

Seulgi looked out the window of the car and marveled at the scenic view before her. Ocean water and palms, and gorgeous sand lined their path as they made their way across the lush tropical landscape. The sides of the road were dotted with colorfully painted houses that looked like jewel boxes glittering in the sun.

“Like what you see?” Wendy asked, when she glanced over and saw Seulgi’s mouth wide at the luscious view.

“It’s already beautiful, baby, and this is just the drive there,” Seulgi whispered.

“I know, I can’t wait to get to our place,” Wendy replied.

“I’m sure it’s awesome if you picked it out.”

“Thanks,” Wendy said, “It’s nice, I checked.”

“I know you did, but no matter what, it’s just nice to be here with you,” Seulgi said.

 

-----

 

Around 11:30 A.M. they finally pulled into the parking lot of the place they would be staying. A line of villas could be seen right on the water, and a much larger building was on the left, most probably where they would need to check in.

“Are we staying in one of these?” Seulgi asked, open in shock. A gloriously rich track of painted wood and glass stood before them, framed by the car’s windshield. Each appeared to be beautifully made, perfectly tailored for the hot, and humid weather

 “Yeah, baby,” Wendy said, her hand on the steering wheel, “Look on the paper there and see what number we’re staying in.”

Seulgi continued to look out the window as the houses passed them by.

“Baby?” Wendy asked, trying to get Seulgi’s attention. Wendy smiled as Seulgi finally turned to look at her, “Will you get the paper and see which number we’re staying in?”

“Oh,” Seulgi said, snapping out of her trance, “Sure. Sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Wendy said.

Seulgi picked up the paper that was between them on the dash and carefully searched for the number of their villa. She scanned the page with her finger until she came upon it, “It says here that we’re in seven.”

“Okay,” Wendy said, “That’s where we’ll go after we check in.”

“Oh, we have to check in first?”

“Yes, that’s where some of the amenities are too, in the main building that we passed, There are things to do there mainly massages and things like that in the spa. Do you want to go get a massage?” Wendy asked.

“I’d rather massage you myself,” Seulgi said, smirking.

“That can be arranged,” Wendy said, smiling back at Seulgi.

 

-----

 

“Welcome to the Morada Villas,” The woman at the front desk said as Seulgi and Wendy walked through the door. They had parked close by and walked in together. Seulgi was worried that she wouldn’t be any help, but followed close behind Wendy anyway.

Seulgi waved at the woman Wendy spoke, “Thank you, we’re here to check in.”

“Good, what name is your reservation under?”

“Oh, we’re the Kangs, so Kang,” Wendy said, casually, as though she’d said it many times before.

“Looks like you’re in the number seven villa? We’ll take care of your luggage if you want to go ahead and drive to your site.”

“Should we take the luggage out of our car first, or?”

“Oh, no, someone will get it for you when you pull in, we’ve got someone at number seven already,” the woman said.

“Oh, wow, thank you,” Wendy said.

“No problem, I also want to let you know that if you want to use the spa, or any amenity on the grounds, it is available to you at all times. You have your own personal pool as well. Just call here if you need anything. I’m Karen.”

“Thank you so much, Karen,” Wendy said.

“You’re very welcome, we’re here to assist you in any way possible, and we hope both of you have an amazing stay here.”

“Thank you for your help,” Wendy said.

“It was no trouble, Mrs. Kang,” Karen said to Wendy.

Even though Seulgi wasn’t fluent, she realized what the woman had just said to Wendy, and swelled with pride at the simple words that had fallen from Karen’s mouth like poetry. Mrs. Kang. Seulgi’s heart thumped loudly, however, now was not the time to say anything about it. She would wait to discuss it with Wendy when they got to their villa.

Wendy grabbed Seulgi’s hand and entwined their fingers, “Ready to go check it out, baby?”

Seulgi smiled and squeezed Wendy’s hand, “Sure, let’s go.” She turned to the woman at the front desk and spoke in English, “Thank you for your help, Karen.”

“You’re quite welcome,” the woman said, “Have fun.”

“We will,” Seulgi said, and the pair turned and walked back to their car.

 

-----

 

Seulgi was amazed again when they pulled up to number seven. The villa house was painted like the ones she’d seen on the drive in, colorfully and bright. The vibrant yellow and blue paint sparkled in the sun like gems, almost like the colors of her thumb ring. Their villa was big, but not too big, just the right size for them to relax and enjoy their vacation.

A man wearing a polo and slacks greeted them as they stepped out of their car again, “Hey, are you the Kangs?”

“Yes,” Wendy answered.

“I’m here to get your bags, you two can go ahead and go inside and look around, I’ll put your luggage in the master bedroom, and then I’ll be off.”

“Thanks for your help,” Wendy said, she popped the trunk of their car to allow the man access.

“It’s no trouble,” the man said walking over and grabbing the luggage, “I’m Billy, if you need anything just call to the front desk.”

“We will,” Wendy said. She grabbed Seulgi’s hand and they walked up the flight of stairs and onto the deck of their Villa.

“Wow,” Seulgi said at the sight before her.

“Wow is right,” Wendy said.

 

-----

 

Before them was a tremendous view of the ocean. From their deck they could see for miles in all directions.

“This is amazing,” Seulgi said.

“Wait till we get inside,” Wendy answered, she took Seulgi’s hand again, grabbed the key from her pocket and headed for the door.

Once inside, Seulgi was as impressed with the interior as she had been with the outdoor décor. The main room was spacious, clean, and modern, but with all the comforts of home that they would need.

Billy walked in and took their luggage upstairs as they walked around. He quickly joined them again, “I’ll be leaving now, have a great stay.”

“Thanks, Billy.”

He walked out and when the door shut, Seulgi ran to the stairs with Wendy following her, “Time to see the bedroom,” Seulgi yelled. Wendy laughed and they both rushed to see their new abode for the next week.

 

-----

 

The bedroom had a deck as well, and after looking at their beautiful bed and bathroom, Seulgi led Wendy outdoors again to catch the view from a higher point than previously. Seulgi couldn’t wait to wake up and walk out here with Wendy in the morning.

Seulgi held Wendy closely, her arms connected around Wendy’s lithe waist, “It’s beautiful here, Seungwan.”

“I know, thank you for bringing me here,” Wendy replied.

“Thank you for picking this place,” Seulgi said.

Wendy nodded and placed her head comfortably on Seulgi’s collarbone.

“May I ask you something?” Seulgi asked, whispering lightly in Wendy’s ear.

Wendy shivered and moved back to look at Seulgi, “Sure. Anything.”

“Back at the front desk…that woman? Karen?”

“Yes?”

“She called you Mrs. Kang, didn’t she?” Seulgi asked, “I know I’m not fluent but I recognized that much.”

Wendy leaned back and smiled bashfully but nodded, “Yes, she did. Sorry. And Billy, that guy who brought our luggage in, he did it as well.”

“Why are you sorry?” Seulgi asked.

“I don’t want you to be unhappy that I did that. Maybe you’d think I went a little too far and assumed things,” Wendy said.

Seulgi leaned back in for a moment and kissed Wendy’s cheek, “I like that, no I love that that she called you Mrs. Kang.”

“Really?” Wendy asked, “When I called I thought it would be easier than saying Son and Kang.”

“Don’t overthink it, I don’t mind at all, but would you want me to take your name someday? Because I’d be willing to do that instead of you taking mine.”

Wendy leaned back further to look in Seulgi’s eyes and saw the seriousness written on her face as she spoke the thought into existence , “You would?”

“Sure,” Seulgi said, “It would be traditional just to keep our own names, but we’re not exactly traditional are we?”

“No,” Wendy smiled, “We’re not.

“There’s also hyphenated names too like Son-Kang or—“

Wendy interrupted Seulgi and dipped forward to kiss her again, “I’ll take your name when we get married. I want to take your name. It doesn’t make me feel any less independent or bound by rules, it makes me feel closer to you.”

“You’ll always be independent and free, I wouldn’t want you any other way,” Seulgi explained.

“Thanks,” Wendy said.

“But it does sound nice…Kang Seungwan.”

“Mmm,” Wendy moaned, she drifted in again and nipped at Seulgi’s lips, “It sounds amazing.”

 

===

 

2. A Nap

 

 

On the bed, the pair were asleep. They had unpacked their luggage—well most of it—and decided that before they did anything else they needed sleep to adjust to the time—especially Seulgi.

With the afternoon ahead of them, the two woke up at 3:00 and decided to get a snack and head outside to the beach.

 

----

 

The villa came fully stocked with food, so Wendy went to work and cut up fresh fruit for them, oranges, pineapple, and grapes. Seulgi found some cheese and they snacked on that before they went upstairs to change into their bathing suits.

“Need help?” Seulgi asked as she slipped her suit bottoms on.

Wendy smiled but shook her head no, “I’m just going to wear a one piece today, is that okay?”

“Sure, baby, you don’t need to ask me though. Wear whatever you want,” Seulgi replied.

“Thanks.”

 

-----

 

Seulgi dug deeper into the sand and watched as Wendy walked back from the ocean with the bucket in her hand.

“Did it feel good?” Seulgi asked

“What?”

“The water?”

“Yes,” Wendy said, “Let’s go in together after this.”

“Okay,” Seulgi replied.

Wendy poured some of the water on the sand, and Seulgi brushed her fingers through it, “When was the last time you built a sandcastle?” Wendy asked, as she watched Seulgi’s diligent hands.

“Hmm,” Seulgi thought, “Maybe fifteen years?”

“That long?” Wendy asked.

“Yeah, it’s been a very long time, but I always loved it when I was a kid. I remember thinking when we left the beach that someone or something would move into the castles I’d built and live there forever. Maybe a tiny princess looking for her prince.”

“That’s sweet,” Wendy said, she finished pouring the water.

“Maybe, but then we’d come back the next day and the castle would be gone, washed away with the tide. That’s when I stopped believing in fairy tales.”

“Well that went from sweet to sad,” Wendy said, “So you don’t believe in that sort of thing anymore? The tiny princess looking for her prince?”

“No,” Seulgi said.

Wendy was a little taken aback, but nodded. So what were they doing? Just staying in motion, checking in with each other, and hoping for the best? There love was real and firm, and even mushy sometimes, did that make it untrue or unrealistic?”

Seulgi saw the look in Wendy’s eye and answered quickly, “Just because I don’t believe in fairy tales anymore doesn’t mean I don’t believe in love, baby.”

Wendy looked up then.

“I believe in love because I’m in love with you. I like to see and touch what I love. Fairy tales aren’t realistic, they don’t account for the real world. They take love and make it forbidden or poisonous or filled with longing. I want to be able to see you not pine for you. I want to wake up in bed together, not steal hushed kisses in a castle hallway. I just simply want you, no frills or fuss or preordained story to be had. We’re creating our own story aren’t we? So, though I used to believe in that sort of fairy tale life, I realized it’s not what I want. I want the grit, and muscle, and sinew of real, honest-to -god love, not a princess in a washed up sandcastle.”

Wendy smiled, “That’s true, and much better than any fairy tale I’ve ever read. Fairy tales aren’t like that, and I wouldn’t want you to be like that, baby.”

“There’s one thing fairy tales always get wrong though amongst a myriad of other details,” Seulgi said, “And It’s always bugged me.”

“What’s that?” Wendy asked, as she worked on a castle tower.

“It’s always a prince or a princess that fall in love. That doesn’t represent us, does it?”

“No,” Wendy thought, and then laughed, “You’re right, that’s not us at all.”

“We’d definitely be court jesters,” Seulgi said, and she waited for Wendy to look up again and react.

When Wendy realized what Seulgi had said, she looked up and saw a smirk painted on Seulgi’s face, “Court Jesters, Seul? Really?” She laughed.

“I’m kidding, we’d both be Queens of our Queendom and rule together.”

Wendy felt her fingers curl at the cheesiness, “Okay,” she whispered.

Seulgi leaned in and kissed Wendy’s cheek, “Let’s just be us, and not worry if our lives are a fairy tale, does that sound better?”

“Better,” Wendy said, “Much better.”

 

-----

 

When the castle was finished, Wendy took her phone from her beach bag and they posed in front of it. Seulgi held Wendy close and took the photo, “I brought my camera, I can’t wait to take some photos here,” Seulgi said.

“I know, I bet the sunset is going to be amazing,” Wendy said.

“Before we go back in, want to go in the water now or wait until tomorrow?” Seulgi asked.

“Let’s go in now,” they raced back to the water.

It was still the afternoon, but much later, and though still warm out, the water had cooled down significantly since they’d been there. Seulgi ran in first, but was shocked to find that the water wasn’t as warm as previously believed, “This water is colder than I thought.”

“Really?” Wendy asked, she stepped through the waves and joined Seulgi who was now knee-deep in the ocean, “It’s not that bad.”

“I think you’re used to cold water,” Seulgi said.

“Maybe,” Wendy said, “We can get out if you want, there’s a hot shower ready for us if you want to go back to the villa.”

“No, it’s okay,” Seulgi said, “Let’s stay a little bit longer.”

 

-----

 

They stayed in the water, and splashed around until they felt their skin begin to wrinkle. Wendy grabbed Seulgi’s hand and noticed that she wasn’t wearing the ring any more, but she shook it off and figured there was a reason.

“Let’s go in now,” Wendy said, “Let’s take a hot bath, and get something to eat.”

“Do you think we can come back out tonight?” Seulgi asked, “I want to walk down the beach with you.”

“Of course,” Wendy said, “I’d like that.”

 

 

===

 

 

3. Night Walk

 

 

Wendy finished her shower and made way for Seulgi to get in. Wendy came out one side, and Seulgi went in the other. They had been tempted to share the shower when they’d walked in, but stuck to their plan of shower/food for tonight, they had the rest of their vacation for more intimate activities, “What do you want to eat, baby?”

“Let’s just eat one of the frozen pizzas in the refrigerator, tomorrow I’ll take you out, and every other night too, but I just want to stay in tonight,” Seulgi said, she leaned out of the shower and looked at Wendy, “Is that okay?”

“Of course,” Wendy smiled, “We planned not to do anything today except for the beach, anyway, so I’ll go get changed and get it started.”

“If you want to wait, I’ll hurry and come help you in the kitchen,” Seulgi said.

“No, don’t. I’ll just have to take it out of the box and preheat the oven, it won’t take long at all to bake. Maybe twenty minutes. Just take as long as you want and get warmed up,” Wendy replied.

“Thanks, baby,” Seulgi said, “Come here.”

Wendy walked up to the open curtain, and Seulgi leaned down and kissed Wendy’s nose, “I love you, be out in a minute. Wendy nodded, leaned back and watched as Seulgi closed the shower curtain.

 

-----

 

Wendy changed clothes, then went to the kitchen to get everything prepared. She put the pizza in and watched as it began to bubble and broil. When Seulgi came back down, smelling clean and fresh, Wendy couldn’t help but snuggle close to her next to the oven as they watched the pizza bake and the crust become crisp.

“Do you want some wine, Seul?”  Wendy asked, “There’s some here.”

“Wine and frozen pizza?” Seulgi asked, she tapped her finger on her chin, “I don’t usually drink that much wine, but sure, why not? I’ve had more wine with you in the past few weeks than I’ve had in ten years.”

“Is that a bad thing?” Wendy chuckled.

“Of course not,” Seulgi said, “What kind of wine is it?”

“It’s red wine, that’s all I know,” Wendy said.

“Good, is there beer too?”

“Yeah, in the fridge,” Wendy answered.

“Good,” Seulgi said.

 

 

-----

 

Hand in hand they walked down the moonlit path and onto the cool sand of the beach. Seulgi had had her fill of pizza, wine, and beer, and she felt light on her feet, and excited for their walk. She had been looking forward to it since they got there. To see the ocean lap against the shore at night, and now she was with Wendy, and they were holding hands.

“Are you sure you’re not drunk?” Wendy laughed as Seulgi relaxed against her and smiled from ear to ear.

“No, I just feel good,” Seulgi said, “Free of responsibility.”

“Good,” Wendy said, “That’s what vacation is for. You shouldn’t be worried, we left everything in good hands back in Seoul, and no obligations except for what’s in front of us, seeing the ocean together.”

“You’re right, and I promise to try my best to not think about the business. I know Joy and Irene are perfectly capable of running things while I’m away. I’ll probably have a full schedule ready for when I get back though,” Seulgi laughed.

Wendy smiled and nodded, “That’s okay, we’ll worry about that when the time comes.”

“Anyway, I can’t wait to explore the town and see everything tomorrow, I looked up some activities for us to do, paddle boarding, fishing, parasailing, scuba. We’re going to have so much fun,” Seulgi said.

“I’m looking forward to it as well, though I’ll probably have to rely on you during some of those things. I’m a little afraid of heights, so if we go parasailing, you’d better hold my hand and reassure me. You’re stronger than me, I think, so I’ll need you.”

“I will, I’ll be by your side through all of it. You got me for the next two weeks with nothing else to think about, baby. And besides that, I had to rely on you today already when we finally landed. Without you we never would have gotten here or anywhere near the villa,” Seulgi said.

“Well, we’re a team, and we know how to work together, don’t we?”

“Of course,” Seulgi said, “I wouldn’t want anyone else but you by my side.”

“Same,” Wendy, squeezing Seulgi’s hand. She felt a cold object on one of Seulgi’s fingers, “Are you wearing your ring now?”

“Of course,” Seulgi said, “I only took it off earlier because I didn’t want to lose it in the ocean.”

“I thought it was something like that,” Wendy said, “You don’t have to wear it all the time though.”

“Why wouldn’t I want to wear it?”

“I don’t know, it may get in your way since you’re not used to wearing rings or a lot of jewelry,” Wendy said.

“Well, I’m going to keep wearing it,” Seulgi said, “I love it, and I love that you got it for me, so it’s staying on.”

“Good,” Wendy said, “I was just worrying over nothing.”

“Did you think I didn’t want to wear it?”

“Maybe,” Wendy said.

“Well, I just didn’t want to lose it in the ocean,” Seulgi said.

Wendy blushed a bit and nodded.

They continued their walk down the beach, until Wendy felt the chill of the night air. Back in the villa, they cuddled together in the bed and thought of nothing but the glorious expanse of time before them, a time to be free, a time to be with each other.

“Maybe we’ll pick out a ring for you while we’re here,” Seulgi said.

Wendy was shocked.

“Just one to match mine,” Seulgi said, feeling Wendy tense up.

“Just a thumb ring?”

“Just a thumb ring,” Seulgi answered, “At least for now, Mrs. Kang.”

 

 

-----         

 

                                                    

 

Follow me @SnapshotsandInk on twitter!

Thanks for checking out this chapter. Be back soon with 16!