Farewell For Now

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

 

1. Packing

 

“How many bras do you plan on packing?” Seulgi yelled from in bed a week after they decided the locations for their vacation.

 Wendy chuckled and continued her search through one of the drawers in their closet, “I’m not sure, baby. What sounds like a good number?”

“I think we’re going to be wearing bathing suits for most of this trip, and I look forward to our time in the room, it’ll just be us…and nothing else. I say we create a no clothes rule for when we’re in the suite.” Seulgi said.

Wendy—still hidden from view in the closet—smiled at Seulgi’s sincere but funny answer, “You’re scandalous.”

“I try,” Seulgi continued, “Anyway, this is serious, if we’re gone a full two weeks, and that counts our layover in California, and the days in Hawaii on the way back, I’d say 5? Between 4 and 6. There’s a laundry room where we’re staying, right?”

“Yes,” Wendy said.

“Good, it’ll be humid there too so…”

“What about underwear? I’ll probably pack extra, want me to pick some out for you? I can probably just pack for you since I know what you like.”

“I’ll help pack, baby, but I probably won’t pack any of that, Seungwan.”

Wendy had to walk out of the closet for that statement, “What?”

“Not going to pack any,” Seulgi said, pulling the covers off her body, “We’re not wearing any now. So what’s the difference? We’re right now.”

Wendy looked down and remembered their activities from earlier.

“I hope our vacation is like what we did fifteen minutes ago, because that was awesome,” Seulgi said.

“Well, I’m packing underwear for the both of us anyway,” Wendy said.

“Ok, ok, they’ll be fun to take off,” Seulgi joked.

 

-----

 

“Go fix me some of your famous grilled cheese,” Wendy said as she walked back into the bedroom, she had packed most of her things, but would wait until later to help Seulgi,“I’m craving it.”

“Sure you’re not just craving some of my cheesy pickup lines?”

“You’ve already picked me up baby,” Wendy said, “But I’m craving food so we can get back in bed in a bit.”

“Aren’t you tired from packing your stuff?” Seulgi asked.

“Yeah, a little, but not tired enough not to get back in bed with you,” Wendy winked.

At this, Seulgi uncovered quickly, jumped up, and walked to Wendy. She leaned in and rubbed her nose to Wendy’s then pecked her lips, “Lay down and relax, grilled cheese in bed coming right up.”

 

===

 

 

2. Lunch

 

Seulgi didn’t bother to put on any clothes and just went into the kitchen as Wendy laid down in the spot she had just occupied. Everyone knew that Seulgi wasn’t great in the kitchen, but grilled cheese had been her thing with Wendy since the night she’d messed up their dinner and ran in the rain over to Mrs. Park’s store. Now she was really good at making it.

In a skillet, she heated some butter and got out the melty cheese that Wendy liked the best. They had a new loaf of bread and Seulgi decided to make one for herself as well. With the butter melted, she put the cheese on one slice of bread, then topped it with the other slice. She placed the sandwiches in the skillet then used a plate to mash the sandwiches like a Panini.

While she waited for the cheese to melt, and the bread to get golden brown, she cut up some fruit and got out their favorite chips along with two sodas. When the sandwiches finished, she put both on a plate and took everything back to the bedroom. She watched Wendy sit up at the delicious smell.

“Finished already?” Wendy asked.

“Yeah,” Seulgi said. Wendy scooted over and made room for Seulgi to sit on the bed.

“Thanks, baby,” Wendy said, “I’m hungry.”

“Me too,” Seulgi said. She sat the plate down and spread their picnic across the bed.

“Looks good,” Wendy said.

They ate quietly, and afterward, Seulgi took the plate to the kitchen and cleaned up. She then walked back and joined Wendy again under the covers,

Are you glad to be leaving for a while?” Wendy asked.

“Yeah, I’m glad to be going with you. The only thing I’m worried about is being able to communicate when we get there. I don’t want to rely solely on you,  that may get frustrating.”

“No it won’t, besides, you’re able to communicate well enough,” Wendy said.

“Thanks to you,” Seulg said, pulling Wendy towards her.

“Don’t worry, we’ll be fine, plus we won’t be encountering too many people. It’s really private.”

“Good,” Seulgi said, “My wish will come true.”

“Wish?”

“The no clothes rule,” Seulgi winked.

 

===

 

 

3. Party

 

The next day, Seulgi got a call from Irene telling her to meet up at Joy’s apartment.

“We’re leaving tomorrow,” Seulgi said.

“I know,” Irene said, “Just be there.”

At eight, Wendy and Seulgi knocked on Joy’s door. It opened automatically but it was dark inside the apartment.

In a split second the light flashed on and a loud crack and voices rattled in the room before them:

“Surprise!”

The pair took a moment to adjust to the light and then before them were their friends and coworkers. In front of the line of people were Irene, Joy, and Yeri who beamed at them with happy, mischievous eyes.

“What is this?” Wendy asked, as she partially hid behind Seulgi.

“It’s a little farewell party,” Joy said, “You’ll be gone for two weeks and everyone wanted to wish you well.”

“When did you guys plan this?” Seulg asked.

“A few nights after the carnival when you told us about your vacation,” Irene said, “We knew we wanted to have a farewell party, but then everyone got involved at work and it turned into this.”

“I don’t know how you kept this a secret,” Wendy replied, “But thank you,” her eyes were wide and bright.

Joy nodded then spoke, “Alright, party’s here, let’s eat.”

Yeri rushed towards her unnies, grabbed their hands and spoke, “Come in, it’s all for you.”

 

 

===

 

4. Language

 

Wendy was speaking to Alex, a member of Seulgi’s studio crew when Joy came up to them and interrupted.

“Wendy, come here I need to show you something.”

“Okay, Alex, I’ll be right back,” Wendy said.

“Oh no problem, Wendy, catch you later,” Alex replied.

Joy took Wendy’s hand and led her to her to the kitchen where no one was at that moment, “I realized when I got home the other night,  that I had something that belonged to you.”

“Oh, the ring?” Wendy asked.

Joy pulled the small velvet bag from her pocket and handed it over to Wendy, “Sorry I couldn’t get it to you earlier.”

“It’s okay, I’m just glad it was you that still had it. I remembered you held it for me, so thanks,” Wendy said.

“You’re welcome,” Joy said, “When are you going to give it to her?”

“Maybe when we get home, it’ll be good to surprise her with it.”

“She’ll love it for sure, and I probably won’t get you alone after this so have a great time on your trip, we’ll miss you, but take lots of photos and nag us via text message.”

“Thanks, Joy. When was the last time Seulgi went traveling?”

“Wow, it’s been a while. A year? Way before you got back to Seoul. She loves to travel though, and I know she’s been itching to go somewhere alone with you for a while,” Joy said.

“I know, I’m glad we’re able to go for a while. It’ll be nice to be away from Seoul and see what that’s like,” Wendy said.

“Seulgi’s worried,” Joy said.

“About what?” Wendy asked.

“About the language barrier. She wants to be able to take care of you while you’re away, so she thinks she’s not as prepared as she should be.”

“I told her not to worry about that,” Wendy said.

“Seulgi needs reassurance, she just wants to take care of you better than anyone else ever has. Not for competition’s sake, but because she’s in love with you.”

“I’ll reassure her tonight, Joy,” Wendy said, dangling the string of the ring bag from her hand, “She’ll know that I feel the same way about her.”

 

-----                                                                                               

 

“Unnie, what should I do if we get into trouble, or something happens? My English isn’t that great and I don’t want to be a nuisance to Wendy,” Seulgi said.

“Haven’t you talked to Wendy about this?” Irene asked.

“Of course, she said not to worry, but I just want to be able to take care of her like she deserves,” Seulgi said.

“You already are taking care of her, and if she said not to worry, then don’t. She’s more than fluent, her English is native, and she’ll help you,” Irene explained.

“Okay, I’ll try not to worry,” Seulgi said.

“You need to enjoy yourself and I know you’ve wanted to take Wendy away and be alone for some time now. This is your chance, traveling is your thing, and now you have a companion, isn’t that what you’ve always talked about? Having someone with you while you’re gone?”

“Yeah, that’s true,” Seulg said, smiling, “I’m so lucky to have Wendy in my life. She’s my friend, my love, all that I’ve ever wanted. When she agreed to go with me, I was ecstatic, still am. I’ve never felt this way, unnie.”

“I know, I can see it on your face, and when you’re with Wendy, it’s amazing,” Irene said.

“Have I changed too much?” Seulgi asked.

“You’ve changed a bit, but not drastically. Wendy’s not the type to change someone on purpose or demand anything be different. She just came into your life, and you molded to fit each other. She’s gentle, and she loves you. She’s changed too in her own ways, I think. The change wasn’t sudden, it was like water, flowing softly, and I don’t think either of you even realized it was happening. That’s love, and I think it’s beautiful, Seulgi-ah.”

Seulgi grinned but felt a pin prick of emotion well up in her eye, “Thanks unnie, for saying that.”

“It’s the truth, Seul.”

“Gosh, I didn’t know you were going to throw poetry at me tonight, unnie,” Seulgi said, gently wiping a tear away before it fell.

“You big bear,” Irene laughed, “Such a softy.”

“You’re right, though, unnie,” Seulgi said, “I’m just glad to have her, that’s all, I’m glad she loves me too.”

 

 

===

 

5. Ring

 

 

Seulgi and Wendy were in the bed together, Seulgi holding onto her tightly, “I can’t believe they tricked us like that,” Seulgi laughed.

“I know, I had no idea, it was really nice of them though, and I’m glad we were able to see everybody before tomorrow,” Wendy said.

“Me too,” Seulgi replied, “Are you excited about leaving?”

“Of course, I can’t wait to be with you on vacation,” Wendy said, “And I want you to know that I’m going to be with you, so if you’re frightened of not understanding something, don’t be. We’ll be there together.”

“Did you talk with Joy?” Seulgi asked, with smiling eyes.

“Maybe,” Wendy said.

“I talked to Irene about the language barrier thing, and she said not to worry like you told me,” Seulgi said, her eyebrows furrowing in concentration, “I just want to be the best for you, that’s all, and I don’t want to disappoint you when we get there and you have to help me.”

“You’ve already given me the best. I have you don’t I?” Wendy asked, “It’s just important to me that we’re together, the rest will work out on it’s on.”

“I think it will too. Just be prepared if I get lost,” Seulgi joked.

“We may both get lost, but at least you’ll be holding my hand, right?”

“Always,” Seulgi said, grabbing Wendy’s hand under the covers and entwining it with her own.

“Good, now speaking of Joy,” Wendy said, “I have something to give you that she gave back to me tonight.”

“What is it?” Seulgi asked, curious.

Wendy held onto Seulgi’s hand but rolled over to retrieve the velvet bag from the night stand, “This.”

Wendy handed the small bag over to Seulgi. She took it, let Wendy’s hand go and carefully opened it. She turned the bag upside down, and out fell the thumb ring.

“When did you get this?” Seulgi asked.

“At the carnival, while you were away judging the photos. It’s a thumb ring, and I thought you would like it.”

“It’s beautiful,” Seulgi said. She twirled the ring between her fingers, and looked at it very carefully, “Did you get it for any special reason?”

“No…I know it’s a ring,” Wendy said, blushing slightly.

“But not that kind?” Seulgi asked, her eyes lighting up at the red that stained Wendy’s cheeks.

“Yeah, not that kind…yet,” Wendy said.

“Don’t worry,” Seulgi said, “I know it’s not time for that yet, but I know that I don’t want anyone but you.”

“I feel the same way,” Wendy said, “But when the time comes, I’ll dive in with you. I’ll look forward to putting a ring on your left hand.”

“And I’ll put one on yours someday. Want to put this one on me for now?” Seulgi asked.

“Yes,” Wendy said. She grabbed the ring, took Seulgi’s thumb and placed it gently on the digit, “It looks good.”

Seulgi smiled, “It really does, I love it, thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Wendy said.

“Want to try and catch some sleep?” Seulgi asked.

“Sure,” Wendy said, “Long day tomorrow.”

Seulgi lay back down and beckoned Wendy back into her arms, “Good night, beautiful, thank you.”

“Goodnight, baby bear.”

And they fell asleep thinking of tomorrow.

 

=====

 

Thanks for checking out my double update. I consider this one chapter in two parts! Comment and let me know what you think!

Follow me on twitter @SnapshotsandInk