A Strange Evening

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

 

1. Dreams+Dinner

 

On a Friday morning, two weeks after their trip to see Mrs. Park, Seulgi, ready for a long day at work, quietly entered her roommate’s bedroom. She needed to inform the sleepy, warm, work-free, and still in her bed Wendy that they would be going to a  schedule of hers that evening. Her manager had set up the schedule, a trip to the grand opening of a new night club and although Seulgi wasn’t usually big on going to clubs, she felt an obligation because one of her acquaintances, who often gave her jobs, was the person who had financed the new party space.

Seulgi tried to explain to the drowsy Wendy that they would be eating dinner with a group of her employees first, and that when they arrived at the club there would be a red carpet, and members of the press to contend with, but Wendy wasn’t hearing much of what Seulgi was saying. The only action she could muster was to nod in agreement before she finally closed her eyes and went back to sleep.

Seulgi, who knew the importance of sleep, didn’t bother her any longer. Wendy had had a tough week at work, much more difficult than her own, and the sleep she was getting was much deserved. Seeing Wendy at rest made her happy.

The peaceful face, and the curve of her body wrapped tightly in the covers sent a shockwave through Seulgi as she stared. No one could get any more gorgeous than how Wendy looked now, and Seulgi, took a mental picture.

Finally turning to leave, she looked once more back at Wendy and realized how lucky she was to have someone like that by her side. With one last glance she shut the door and headed off to her schedule, looking forward to the unique evening ahead.

 

-----

 

Wendy awoke sometime in the last throes of the morning, the sun in full bloom and pouring through the blinds and into half-open eyes. With a yawn and a stretch Wendy carelessly tumbled out of bed and looked forward to even more relaxation on her schedule. She shook her head, pulled her fingers through the tangles in her hair, and made her way leisurely into the kitchen

While making brunch—although she thought the word seemed too classy for the pair of frozen waffles and orange juice she was fixing for herself—she thought back to the early morning hours, and recalled seeing her exquisitely dressed bear watching her. She also recalled a one-sided conversation with Seulgi but chalked it up to her very vivid imagination, it had to have been a strange dream—visions of lights and red objects unfurling, flashes of light before her eyes—but nothing about the club registered in her memory. Wendy poured some maple syrup on her waffles and settled in the living room. Today would be spent with a tranquil mind and wasting time in front of the television.

In the afternoon, after frying her brain with talk shows and daytime programming, she began to bake a cake for them to enjoy after they ate dinner. She silently prayed that it would be takeout because she wasn’t up to cooking anything other than the cake. Her weekend was officially underway, and Wendy vowed that she would do nothing but take it easy until Monday morning.

 

-----

 

Seulgi was late that afternoon, running into the apartment at 6:00, and hoping to see an already dressed Wendy sitting on the couch. As she threw her keys on the counter, Seulgi peaked into the living room area only to find a sweat-pant clad, flour-covered Wendy lying on the couch half asleep. At least she got the couch part right.

Wandering toward Wendy, Seulgi suddenly felt sorry that she would have to wake her up, but knew they needed to be out of the apartment by 8:00 to keep their reservations at the restaurant.

“Wendy,” Seulgi whispered, finally making it to her side and kneeling in front of her, “Wake up, we have to get ready for dinner and the club,” Seulgi used her hand to gently shake Wendy’s shoulder.

Wendy, a lighter sleeper than Seulgi, awoke with a start, sitting straight up with a confused look on her face, “What?”

“The new club, remember?”

“I-I thought that was a dream, you were really in my room this morning?”

“Yeah,” Seulgi said sheepishly, rubbing the back of her neck.

“I was practically asleep when you told me, but you were dressed really well, y.” Wendy said with a cute, tired voice.

Seulgi could only chuckle, “I had some meetings and needed to dress up, then a shoot afterwards, I should have called you and given more details today, I’m sorry.”

Wendy rubbed the sleep from her eyes, lifted herself from the couch, and swung her legs so they were hanging off the side of the sofa and patted the seat next to her, “Do we really need to go?”

Seulgi grimaced a bit but sat down, “I sort of told a couple of people that work with me that we would all be going together, and that they could officially meet you.”

Wendy whined, and put her head in her hands. She realized that her weekend of relaxation would have to start tomorrow.

“I know,” Seulgi said, lightly rubbing Wendy’s back, “I wish I didn’t have to do things like this, but I have to go. I really need you with me. If I didn’t I wouldn’t have even woken you up until I’d cooked dinner for you.”

Wendy laughed, “You would have needed my help, we could have just gotten take out, and I baked a cake for us too.”

“I see that,” Seulgi said, wiping a bit of flour from Wendy’s cheek.

“It was a little messy, but that reminds me of how hungry I am. I’ve not eaten since I got up this morning.”

“Me too, that’s why we’ll go eat first.”

“What’s the attire for this gathering?” Wendy asked.

“F-formal,” Seulgi whispered.

“I’ll have to put on a nice, tight club dress and heels. My feet are going to hurt, and I’ll probably have to get a salad, even though I want a big, juicy cheeseburger.”

“I didn’t think of that…” Seulgi seemed to be working through the dilemma in her head.

“I’ll do it for you though,” Wendy said with a sly smile, “Someone promised I’d be there.” She bopped Seulgi on the nose.

“Guilty,” Seulgi said.

“I’ll be there, and I’ll be there with bells on,” Wendy said, “The last time you saw me dressed up was when you picked me up at work on the first night.” Seulgi nodded.

“I’ll be quick, and ready in no time, you go too,” Wendy hopped up from the couch.

“Wait,” Seulgi said, “I don’t want you to go under these circumstances. I want you to be comfortable.”

Wendy smiled, and entwined their fingers, “If I have an event at work, I’d want you with me, so I’m going to consider this part of your work schedule. I’m going to the club, but when it’s all over, we’re stopping at a fast food place and buying a round of cheeseburgers to compensate for the salad or small portion meal I’ll be eating at the restaurant.”

Wendy started to walk away, when Seulgi grabbed her hand tighter, and pulled her close. She moved her hands to either side of Wendy’s hips, “I just want to thank you for agreeing to come with me.”

Wendy began to lean into Seulgi until she was almost near her lips, “I love being with you, no matter where we are.” Just as their lips were about to touch, Seulgi got scared and looked away. Wendy’s lips landed on her cheek instead.

“I—“

“I know, now’s not the time,” Wendy said, and then the intimate moment was gone before it had even started, “Go shower.”

Seulgi could feel the loss of warmth as Wendy disconnected herself. She knew she would have a lot to make up for after this evening was over.

 

-----

 

Seulgi sat on the couch, having just finished getting ready herself. She wasn’t in a dress but had on the tightest pair of black jeans she could find, boots, a cool button up blouse with a graphic design, and one of her signature wide-brimmed black hats that she often wore to events. She looked to her watch: 7:30, enough time to spare. She could hear Wendy shuffling in her room and looked forward to seeing her all dressed up again. She felt her stomach flip with nerves she hadn’t felt in a while, butterflies that spun out of control only when she was near Wendy.

Soon, as Seulgi remained in deep thought, the door opened and Wendy came out, wearing a beautiful, fitted, blue dress, and a pair of killer heels.

“Oh my gosh,” Seulgi whispered to herself, “She looks amazing.”

“What did you say?” Wendy asked, her smile luminous.

“You l-look stunning,” Seulgi said.

“Thanks, but next time we go to a club, I’m wearing pants and boots too.”

“Do you want me to change?” Seulgi asked.

“No you look too y right now,” Seulgi blushed, “Besides, I know this is the image you need to portray to the public. I just wanted to look good for you tonight.”

“For me?” Seulgi questioned.

“Yes, I wanted to look good for you, and you alone.”

“Well, you definitely look good. You look taller too.”

Wendy frowned at the unintended dig, “It’s the heels.”

 

-----

 

At the restaurant, Most of Seulgi’s staff was gathered to enjoy the meal. Two of them, Joy, Seulgi’s assistant, and Irene, Seulgi’s best graphic designer, had ridden separately but would be riding with them to the club later. The four were now all together at the table talking, and chatting about their days.

“Seulgi tells us you work at a music company,” Joy said, the same Joy she’d met at the first shoot.

“Yes, I work as the head of the vocal department. We help people train their voices before and after they debut,” Wendy said.

“That sounds really cool, I bet you’re an awesome singer,” Irene said.

“She is, she’s amazing,” Seulgi said, placing her hand on top of Wendy’s underneath the table.

“Ever wanted to try out for a company instead of helping everyone else?” Joy asked, bluntly.

Seulgi was shocked by the sudden question, knowing the topic was a sore spot for Wendy, and held tight to her hand.

“I-I  tried out when I was younger, but I-I never made it as a singer. They didn’t think I was good enough to debut,” Wendy said, making her feel glum.

Seulgi looked at Joy with glaring eyes, words not needed to let her know that this topic was off limits for now.  They needed to get the conversation back on track.

Joy, one of the most upbeat people Seulgi knew  realized—after the look—she had said the wrong thing to Wendy and redirected the discussion, “Oh, that’s everyone else’s loss then,” Joy said, “I’d love to go to a noraebang with you and hear your voice. Seulgi knows voices, and yours must be top-notch.”

Wendy looked up and gave a shy smile.

“Tonight’s a little formal,” Irene said, pitching in to help, “But we’ll plan to go out soon. We love the noraebang, right Seul?”

“Definitely,” Seulgi said.

“That sounds like fun,” Wendy said, “Just let me know when.”

“Cool.”

Seulgi entwined their fingers, and smiled at Wendy, the rest of the dinner was splendid, though mostly for the conversation and not the food.

 

-----

 

Back in the car, on the way to the club, silence had overtaken the four of them. Not one to bask in stillness, Joy spoke candidly once again, when she saw Wendy take Seulgi’s hand.

“Look, none of my business here, so stop me if you must, but let me just ask, are you two together?”

“Joy!” Seulgi yelled, letting Wendy’s hand slip from hers.

“Wait, no offense,” Joy tried to explain, “You two do live together.”

“Don’t feel any compulsion to answer anything she asks,” Irene said, looking at Wendy, “Sometimes Joy’s mouth speaks before her brain catches up.”

Joy side-eyed Irene. Seulgi’s face turned red, and she stared out the window.

“I-I don’t mind,” Wendy picked up Seulgi’s hand again, “Answering your questions.”

Seulgi turned from the window and looked at Wendy, “You’re sure you want to tell them?”

“They’re friends, they work with you…”

“If you answer you won’t have to worry, we can trust them,” Seulgi whispered.

“She’s right,” Joy said, “I speak bluntly most of the time, but I know not to share secrets, right Irene?”

Irene nodded, “Joy can be a handful but we, and everybody else knows better than to gossip about Seulgi. She’s our friend, and employer, so our lips are sealed.”

Wendy spoke up as soon as Irene finished talking, “We’re not together, officially. We decided since I had been gone for so long that it would be better to live together and take things slow. I’m not sure what to call us now? Maybe exclusive? We know our feelings, and sometime soon we’ll label it, but not until we’re both ready, though with us labels aren’t important.”

Seulgi nodded, “When we’re official, we’ll let you know.”

Joy and Irene nodded.

“Well, congratulations on your….friendlationship,” Joy said.

“Yah, not funny,” Seulgi said.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure she’ll think of other viable options to label your relationship,” Irene said.

 

-----

 

After Joy’s laughter died down, Seulgi began to squirm next to Wendy.

“What’s wrong?”

“I wish we could’ve driven my car instead, we probably would have been there by now,” Seulgi said.

Taken aback by this revelation, Wendy spoke, “You have a car?”

Joy scoffed, “Yeah, she has one, a really nice one that she likes to keep hidden from view.”

“What kind is it?”

“I’ll show it to you soon,” Seulgi said.

“All we know is that it’s a fast ride,” Irene said.

“You’re not going to tell me what it is?” Wendy asked.

“No,” Seulgi said, slyly, “It’s only for special occasions. I haven’t driven it in a while, so a special occasion may be coming up soon.”

“No hints?”

“it’s…sporty? Something I wouldn’t actually drive on a night like tonight,” Seulgi answered.

Wendy leaned into Seulgi’s ear and whispered, “Show me soon?”

“Of course,” Seulgi said in reply.

“Okay, okay, lovebirds, let’s talk about what we’re eating after we’re done at the club,” Joy said.

“We just ate Joy!” Irene said.

“Yeah, some salad and some type of chicken I’ve never even heard of, and you know I’m an expert when it comes to chicken.”

“Yeah, we know,” Seulgi said.

“Well, Seulgi already promised me a round of cheeseburgers, so…that cool?” Wendy asked.

“I think we just had a mind meld, Wendy,” Joy said, “Sounds great.”

The tension was gone, Wendy was glad to have made two new friends.

 

-----

 

Their driver pulled up to the club around 10:30, Wendy could see flashing lights of cameras and grew nervous. She looked to Seulgi and saw that her demeanor from earlier had changed, she seemed tense as well.

With the red carpet before them, the door opened and someone spoke, backlit by the bright lights it was hard to see the speaker’s face, “We’ve been told that Miss Kang will need to walk in alone.”

“But what about—“ Seulgi tried to say.

“No questions, we need to you in.”

Wendy looked to Joy and Irene who were watching this all play out, “You two go first, I need to speak with Seulgi before she goes in.”

Irene and Joy nodded and got out of the taxi, leaving the pair alone. The flashes brightened as Joy and Irene walked the carpet, “Even Seulgi’s employees are famous,” Wendy thought to herself.

“I hate things like this,” Seulgi said, “Especially with the paparazzi and television crews hear to watch my every move. I’m not sure who called and demanded I go in by myself, probably my manager.”

“Did he know I was coming with you?” Wendy asked.

“She,” Seulgi choked out, “…She knows I’m staying with someone, that you’ve moved into the apartment, and I told her on the phone that I was bringing you with me. She…I don’t know why she would call ahead of time knowing I wanted to be with you.”

Wendy’s mind raced, unsure of what to say.

“I want to hold your hand and go in with you, and I’ll defy orders if I need too, but I’m not sure we’re ready for this kind of attention yet,” Seulgi said, sternly.

“Wouldn’t it be easier if I let you go first, drive down the street and walk in from there? I can completely avoid being seen with you.”

“That’s too much,” Seulgi said, her jaw tightening at the thought, “I don’t want you to do that.”

“I’ll do it, people seeing us walking a red carpet together, mainly you holding my hand, will only complicate things, don’t you think?”

Seulgi sighed in frustration, “I can’t believe I’m going to let you do this, it’s wrong. But you’re right, it may cause a frenzy, and I don’t want that.”

“Seulgi-ah, I know what image is, and it’s clear your manager wants to keep yours maintained. Until we make it official, let’s protect ourselves from overzealous people, fans, whoever is looking for a story.”

“I…”

“Go,” Wendy smiled, “I’ll see you inside in a few minutes.”

Someone opened the door again, “Miss Kang, we need you now.”

Seulgi grabbed Wendy’s hand before she slid out, “See you inside, if you have any trouble, text me and I’ll come and get you, and next time we come to one of these things, we’re pulling up in my sports car…together.”

 

 

-----

 

 

2. A little More Than Friends

 

 

Wendy found herself walking the red carpet alone and because she wasn’t with Seulgi, the paparazzi didn’t take many photos, if any of her, which she was honestly glad about. Coming to events like these, though fun most of the time, weren’t her cup of tea either. She mostly looked forward to spending time with Seulgi after the event, and taking the heels off that she was currently wearing.

As she stepped through the doorway, the thumping rhythm of the music swept its way into her ears. She realized as she saw the erratic neon lights, and the swaying bodies on the dance floor that she was out of her element.  Heat and smoke rolled around her, cementing her thought that their apartment would’ve been the better option, but Seulgi meant more to her than her own selfish thoughts, so she trudged forward.

Speaking of Seulgi, she needed to find her.

 

-----

 

In a corner, on lit by neon, Seulgi waited for Wendy to reply to her text message:

TO—Wendy: We’re in the very back left at a table, text me if you can’t find us.

Seulgi again questioned why she had come to the club and dragged Wendy along as soon as she stepped through the doors. She hoped the chaotic atmosphere wouldn’t be too much for Wendy. Even Irene and Joy were coughing because of the smoke machine, an invention Seulgi didn’t quite understand—apparently it created ambience and atmosphere.

Instead of being here, they could have been somewhere much more conducive to talking, but it wasn’t Seulgi’s M.O. to skip out on her engagements, so here she sat with Irene and Joy, waiting for Wendy to find them.

 

-----

 

Wendy searched everywhere for Seulgi and then realized she hadn’t checked her phone:

From—Seulgi: We’re in the very back left at a table, text me if you can’t find us.

Wendy texted back:

To—Seulgi: I made it inside, on the way now.

She figured it best that she not mention she had wandered around the club for fifteen minutes.

 

-----

 

Seulgi was staring at her phone when she received the text, and breathed a sigh of relief, Wendy would arrive at any moment.

Then suddenly stepping through a mob of people—like a ‘90s movie—entered a blue and orange tinged Wendy, the light beaming down on her. Seulgi stood up and side-hugged her, careful not to show too much affection in public, then let her slide in at their table.

When seated again, Seulgi leaned in and tried to speak to Wendy, “This isn’t my style, I would much rather be home with you.”

Wendy nodded, having to half-guess what Seulgi had said because of the loud music.

 

-----

 

After an hour and a few drinks, Joy suggested that they hit the dance floor for a bit. Seulgi rolled her eyes, but Wendy laughed and pulled her along. Before they left the table, Seulgi grabbed her camera.

Joy led them to the middle of the club where it was a bit crowded, but they stuck together as much as they could. The music bumped wildly and the lights flashed in their eyes.

“I can’t dance,” Wendy shouted to the other three.

“Sure you can,” Joy said, starting to move her own body to the rhythm. Irene and Wendy followed her lead and began to dance as well. Seulgi only stood there staring straight at Wendy.

Her hair flew wildly, body moved dangerously, and her eyes gleamed. A red light fell on Wendy as she got lost in the music, the very music she had been complaining about when she walked in. Seulgi’s mouth dropped open at the sensual site of Wendy’s dance, she had no clue that Wendy could move like that. Breaking herself from the foggy mind that Wendy had just created, Seulgi couldn’t resist and pulled her camera that was slung cross wise on her body up to her eye to take photos. Wendy was mesmerizing.

 

-----

 

Finally deciding to go back to their table, Seulgi and Joy went first, and Irene and Wendy decided to stop at the restroom before heading back.

“Be careful,” Seulgi shouted, as Wendy and Irene walked away.

Wendy waved and gave Seulgi a thumbs up.

 

-----

 

After leaving the restroom and trying to walk quickly back to their table, Wendy somehow got slightly ahead of Irene, and the latter had to maneuver through several people to end up directly behind Wendy, still a few feet away.

As they walked like this, a man Irene didn’t know stepped in front of Wendy and began to talk with her. Irene could hear him saying he’d seen them dancing and wanted to see if she would go to his table for a while. Caught behind Wendy, and unsure of what to do, Irene ducked under a dancing couple and ran to find Seulgi.

 

-----

 

“Seulgi, Seulgi, some guy stopped Wendy and wants to take her back to his table,” Irene said, huffing from having to make her way through a sea of people.

“What?” Seulgi shouted, “Did she go with him?”

“No, come on, I’ll take you to them.”

 

-----

 

“No thanks,” Wendy said, “I’m here with some people.” She just wanted to go back to her table. She shook John’s hand though and smiled.

At that moment, stepping through the smoke like some mythic warrior woman, Seulgi arrived on the scene to see a happy Wendy smiling pleasantly at a man who was smiling back.

With no grasp on the situation at all, Seulgi quickly walked up to them, “Hey, I’ve been looking for you,” she said to Wendy, trying to be nonchalant in front of the man, but failing with a tense, loud voice. Her eyes trained directly on John’s.

“Oh, hey Seul, I was just talking with John here,” Wendy said.

“John?” Seulgi asked, voice still tight.

The man laughed at Seulgi’s reaction.

“Is he laughing at me now?” Seulgi thought.

“What?” Wendy asked.

She’d said her thoughts out loud. Great.

“Hi, I’m John Kim,” he put his hand out for Seulgi to shake it, he’d heard her thoughts too, but disregarded them.

Seulgi continued to eye him carefully but shook his hand anyway. Wendy noticed.

“I work at one of the music stations. I’ve seen Wendy there before. My fiancée works for one of the groups, a boy group I think, as a stylist. I think Wendy works with them too.”

“Yeah, it’s the same group,” Wendy said, smiling through the awkward situation.

“Anyway, I saw Wendy on the dance floor, and thought I’d ask her to join us at our table. It’s just right over there,” he pointed to a table not far away, “My fiancée is over there too.”

“Ohh,” Seulgi said, realizing her mistake, “Cool.”

“Well, looks like you’re needed elsewhere,” John said to Wendy.

Seulgi blushed.

“Yeah, it was good seeing you, I’ll probably see you soon, at the music station,” Wendy clarified.

“Yeah, see you,” John waved and walked away.

“Do…you want to go back to the table?” Wendy asked.

“Umm, yeah maybe for a little while longer, I owe you some cheeseburgers…and an apology I think.”

“Not now,” Wendy smiled, “We’ll talk later, don’t worry though, okay?”

Seulgi nodded, this club business was all her fault anyway.

Wendy smiled at Seulgi’s behavior change, her bear was jealous and she kind of liked it.

 

-----

 

They finally left the club around 1:00 AM, not staying until closing because they’d danced themselves into exhaustion and the three girls wearing heels were in desperate need to remove them. They took a taxi to a fast food restaurant and got the food to go. Seulgi went in alone, ordered everything their hearts desired, paid for it, and carried it out all by herself. This was her first step in atoning for the mistake at the club. She got back to the car and squeezed in next to Wendy, who grinned and snuggled closer to Seulgi.

Wendy and Seulgi made no mention of the situation at the club, knowing they would discuss when they got back home. And Irene and Joy kept quiet about it too.

They worked together to separate the food into different bags so they could feast when they got home. Every now and then Seulgi would catch Wendy’s eye, and Wendy could see that she was embarrassed, though there was no need to be.

When they got back to the apartment, Wendy learned that Irene and Joy lived there as well, a perk of knowing the owner.  They bid farewell to one another, handed them their individual bags, and promised to all meet up again soon for another fun night.

Seulgi and Wendy rode to the top in silence, holding their food bags tightly. Seulgi was keenly aware of every slight movement that Wendy made.

 

-----

 

Entering the apartment, they went their separate ways, changed clothes, and promised to meet back up in the kitchen to eat their late night/early morning meal together. Inside her bedroom, Seulgi only thought of her jealous behavior and realized she had been wrong for feeling that way. She called Wendy into her room after changing to apologize, not wanting to wait a second longer.

Wendy entered the room with her usual smile and jumped right on Seulgi’s bed.  She moved over and patted the place next to where she was laying. Seulgi joined her and Wendy instantly wrapped her arms around Seulgi’s waist. Seulgi leaned back against the pillow and looked to Wendy, her lips parted in an attempt to form an explanation.

The tension, though not serious, built gradually until Seulgi finally got the courage to say the first words, she broke the silence, “I’m sorry about the club, you’re someone I trust implicitly and without fear that you’d ever break that trust. I had no right to feel jealous about your friend, I apologize, I can’t believe I did that, especially saying my thoughts out loud like that. I’m usually more laidback and relaxed.”

Wendy grabbed Seulgi’s hand, and placed it near her own heart, “You didn’t really do any harm, it was all just a misunderstanding. I think the club atmosphere had you on high alert.”

“True, when Irene said that someone stopped you suddenly, I didn’t know what to do.”

“If it makes you feel any better I’m slightly jealous that you have a female manager. I didn’t know about that until tonight.”

Seulgi’s eyes smiled, “You don’t need to worry, She’s married with kids, older, and not my type at all. She’s just demanding when it comes to me attending events like we just went to.”

“It’s the same with John, he’s just some guy I know at the broadcast station, who I saw at the club that you brought me to. I don’t want him or anyone else. You shouldn’t feel embarrassed for wanting to check on me, I lost Irene in the crowd, and John just happened to show up. I should have stayed closer to her.”

“I was worried it was a stranger, I didn’t want you to get hurt. I was really anxious,” Seulgi said, looking up at the ceiling.

“I’m glad you came to get me,” Wendy used her hand to guide Seulgi to look at her again, “If it had been someone I didn’t know, it would have been harder to get away by myself. Besides I was there for you, not to hang out with someone I’ve only met 3 or 4 times,” Wendy said.

“Still, I’m sorry for how I behaved. You can hang out with whoever you want.”

“Jealous Seulgi was a cute Seulgi, but let’s try not to be that way,” Wendy leaned in close to Seulgi’s ear and whispered, “Never worry, I just want you. I only need to be with you.  I’m yours.”

Seulgi lifted her head, chills running through her body from the whisper, she looked in Wendy’s eyes, “And I’m yours, just yours.”

They looked at each other for a while longer, and then Seulgi spoke, “Apology accepted?”

“Yes, though there really wasn’t anything that needed an apology. I accept yours anyway. It’s forgotten.”

“Thanks.”

“Anyway, who’s your type?” Wendy asked.

“You,” Seulgi said plainly.

 

-----

 

After cuddling for a while, Seulgi spoke again, “You know I took some more photos of you tonight.”

“Really? When?” Wendy sat up and leaned on her elbow.

“When you were dancing with Joy and Irene. There was this fantastic red light that landed right on you like some sort of spotlight. You were absolutely glowing. With the smoke and music, I couldn’t help but take some photos.”

“Cool, I didn’t even realize it.”

“You were so in sync with the music and you looked so…sensual. I can definitely believe that you weren’t aware of your surroundings. I was standing there snapping photos by the dozen,” Seulgi said.

“Sensual?”

“Yeah, you know…”

“I know what that word means, it’s just that no one has ever said it directly to me or about me before.”

“Well…”

Wendy leaned closer to Seulgi, their lips almost touching like they had earlier, “Will you tell me what that looks like?”

“What…what sensual looks like?”

Wendy chuckled, “Yeah.”

“No, but I can show you,” Seulgi said, suddenly getting an idea.

She leaned into the laughing Wendy and brushed her cheek. Wendy stopped laughing after the soft touch and looked into Seulgi’s eyes. What she saw looking back at her was a look she’d never seen from anyone. Seulgi’s eyes looked molten, fierce, ready to entice. Seulgi continued the journey and soon she brushed their lips together lightly, nothing to rush them. After the first touch though, Wendy melted into Seulgi’s embrace like butter. She knew she’d just been shown the meaning of sensual.

 

-----

 

Seulgi started slowly with Wendy, not wanting to take them too far tonight.  She hadn’t kissed anyone for a very long time, and was out of practice, except for with her pillow at night—which she would never admit to anyone, except maybe Wendy, but only if she asked.

Wendy’s eyebrows furrowed as Seulgi deepened the kiss. Her heart bounced in her chest, and besides her lips, she could feel the flutter of Seulgi’s eyelashes near her own. Seulgi was insistent as she held tightly to Wendy’s side, and Wendy held on to Seulgi as well. She couldn’t help but open her own eyes to watch Seulgi’s closed eyes. She knew when Seulgi concentrated on a task, the results would be magical. And just now she could feel that concentration in action. Wendy couldn’t wait to see what their future held.

This kiss was only meant to discover one another, not push anyone away. Wendy’s lips were soft and tasted like…berries? Some fruit which Seulgi couldn’t figure out, only that it must have been from her new lip balm.

Wendy wasn’t passive during any of this either, she found herself tugging at Seulgi’s bottom lip with her teeth quite often, and loved the sound of Seulgi’s response when she let go. They stayed like this for a long time, trying to remain close without crossing the line. That would be for later.

Finally, Seulgi leaned back and spoke softly, “I think I know why they invented the smoke machine,” Seulgi said.

“What?” Wendy asked, trying to angle herself to work on Seulgi’s ear.

“So I could take beautiful photos at a club and then we could do this,” Seulgi said.

Wendy looked up confused.

“Nevermind,” and Seulgi lay back and relaxed into Wendy’s touches.

 

-----

 

After their make out session they scurried to the kitchen and pulled out the food they were so desperate to eat.

“I like that we can go from making out for the first time, to eating cheeseburgers twenty minutes later,” Wendy said.

“Well, we have a very special friendlationship,” Seulgi joked.

“Agreed,” Wendy said, as she leaned in and pecked Seulgi’s lips, “Plus you’re an amazing kisser.”

“You’re pretty good too,” Seulgi joked. Wendy glared at her, “Okay, amazing, as expected.”

“Thanks,” Wendy dug into one of the burgers, “Seems like you’ve maintained your skills. How did you do it?”

“My what?”

“Your kissing skills,” Wendy laughed.

“I-I just practiced…by kissing my pillow,” Seulgi quietly confessed.

“What?”

“You heard me, I practiced by kissing my pillow,” Seulgi said, as she opened the wrapper on her own burger.

“Well…”

“Well, what about you?” Seulgi asked.

“I…” Wendy took way too long to think of a response.

“You practiced with your pillow too!” Seulgi moved quickly around the kitchen island to where Wendy was eating and hugged her from behind. She got close to Wendy’s ear and whispered, “I knew I wasn’t the only one who did that.”

Wendy laughed, “Great minds, right?”

“You need to teach me your ways, especially that ear trick it was so….”

“Sensual?” Wendy asked.

“Yeah, that’s the word, and Seulgi nipped at Wendy’s ear before letting her go to finish eating.

 

-----

 

They knew separating and venturing into their own rooms this time would be a tougher task than ever before.  Wendy wanted a few more nights alone, and promised to start staying with Seulgi once the latter got back from her business trip next week. When Seulgi was gone for the five days to Jeju for a shoot, she planned to move some of her things to Seulgi’s room and stay there while she was gone. To be surrounded by Seulgi’s things would be a minor consolation to actually being beside her though.

Seulgi kissed Wendy one last time, said goodnight, and watched her walk into her room. Seulgi felt her heart leap at the progress they’d made tonight, and looked forward to her return after next week’s trip.

Wendy sat on the bed and touched her lips. Seulgi had kissed her, Seulgi had kissed her, Seulgi had kissed her.  And she had kissed back. It had been a very long time since she had kissed anyone, and she felt that she was definitely out of practice, but once Seulgi’s lips touched hers, she instantly knew what to do.

The evening, this splendidly, strange evening was a far cry from the couch, waffles, and orange juice of the morning, and Wendy loved the differences. She was adjusting to her new life and job well, and considered herself lucky to be with Seulgi as she made these new memories.

Even though they were taking their relationship one step at a time, everything about Seulgi was worth the wait. She was Wendy’s fresh air as she adjusted once more to the cultural differences that she hadn’t had to deal with in a while. Tonight she had been fire, a slow-burning fire that knew the right buttons to push, and then so easily transformed back to her goofy, fun-loving self. Wendy was amazed. She turned the bed back and climbed in. Touching her lips once more, she thought of the sweet, intimate moments they shared earlier, and looked forward to falling deeper for Seulgi, looked forward to seeing the other sides of Seulgi.

 

-----

 

 

Chapter 4 done! Thanks once again for the incredible responses to this story! I love writing it, and everyone that has subscribed, commented, or read is sending me tons of motivation. Please look forward to chapter 5 very soon. Until then let me know your thoughts on this one. Thanks!