Newsflash

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

 

Seulgi and Wendy were back in the studio the next day after their vacation concluded and Seulgi sat quietly in the lounge and tapped her toe to an inaudible beat. It was a beat that she supposed was only in her head at the moment. She was nervous, the phone was right beside her—glaring at her—and she was nervous about picking it up and using it.

Meanwhile, as Seulgi’s thoughts wavered in the lounge, Wendy had been settling back into her routine since the morning. Now, after their lunch, she was helping Joy with some paperwork. They had begun to discuss Joy’s new filing system when out of nowhere they heard a yell come from the lounge that Wendy instantly identified as coming straight out of Seulgi’s mouth.

“Wendy!”

Wendy glanced at Joy and then ran to the lounge as fast as she could.  Joy ran to the other side of the studio and alerted Irene and Yeri, who were busy discussing designs. The three followed behind her as quickly as they could, but Wendy practically flew through the studio and if she hadn’t been careful would have made a Wendy-shaped hole in the lounge door.

“What’s wrong?” Wendy yelled as she crashed into the room.

“I’m…” Seulgi found it hard to speak.

“Are you hurt?” Wendy asked as she sidled next to Seulgi on the couch. Seulgi didn’t seem frantic, but Wendy was. Just then the other three ran through the door to check on Seulgi as well.

“What’s the matter?” Irene uncharacteristically screamed.

“I think she’s okay,” Wendy said, “But she won’t tell me anything.”

“Speak up, boss,” Joy said, “Tell us what’s wrong.”

Yeri nodded in agreement.

“I’m nervous,” Seulgi whispered.

“What?” Joy shouted, “I can’t hear you!”

“I’m nervous, okay?”

A collective sigh of relief could be heard in the room, “What are you nervous about?” Wendy asked, although she already knew the answer

“The call,” Seulgi said.

“The call to the….man ….from the….thing?” Joy asked carefully, not wanting to divulge secrets before Seulgi had actually called.

“Yes, that,” Seulgi replied.

“Don’t be,” Irene said, “Whatever happens we’ll be behind you.”

“Yes, unnie, we fully support you,” Yeri said.

“Don’t yell next time, we thought you were hurt, especially Wendy,” Joy said.

Wendy looked at the floor, and Seulgi glanced her way.

“Oh gosh,” Seulgi said finally realizing what had happened, “I’m sorry, I’ve made a scene, haven’t I?”

“Yes,” Yeri said quietly, “Yes you have.”

Seulgi nodded, “Um, do you three mind if I speak to Wendy alone for a moment?”

“No,” Irene said, “Let’s head out and let them talk.” The three left and Wendy and Seulgi were alone on the couch.

Seulgi sat still for a moment until Wendy grabbed her hand for comfort.

“I’m going to make the call,” Seulgi said calmly, “I was being silly, it’s time to call and find out what’s going on.”

“Okay, do you want me to be in here when you make it?” Wendy asked.

“No, I want to make the call and find out for myself, then I’ll call you back in on the intercom, is that alright?” Seulgi asked.

“It’s fine,” Wendy smiled brightly, “Don’t be nervous. I love you.”

“I love you too,” Seulgi replied, “This phone call…”

“Yes?” Wendy said, urging Seulgi to continue.

“It could change a lot of things, and I want you to be a part of whatever those changes are, okay?”

“I know, baby,” Wendy said, “I’m going to go help Yeri and Irene, just buzz me when you need me back in here.”

“Alright,” Seulgi said.

Wendy leaned in and kissed Seulgi’s lips gently, “You got this, you’re strong. Just be yourself and everything will run smoothly.

Seulgi kissed back, “Thanks, see you in a bit.”

Wendy got up from the couch and made her way to the door. As she grabbed the handle she turned and winked at Seulgi, “There are more kisses where that came from,” and then she turned and walked out.

Seulgi chuckled but was glad that Wendy had stopped to say that, it had relaxed her mind and given her the courage to dial the number of the mysterious man.

“Here goes,” Seulgi said out loud. She dialed the number carefully, pausing on every number, and then the faint ring from the receiver could be heard. She put the receiver to her ear and then by some miracle—or so Seulgi believed—someone picked up on the other end.

“Hello?” the voice said.

“Yes, hello, This is Kang Seulgi, owner of Kang Studios in Seoul.”

“Hi, Miss Kang.”

“You called me about an offer…?”

 

-----

 

Three things happened while Seulgi was on the phone. For one thing, the man made an offer that was simply unbelievable, Seulgi couldn’t fathom who had actually called, and wondered if her ears needed to be checked or if this was even real. Second, she found herself holding her breath as the man spoke and told her about the offer, and thirdly, when he stated the details about the offer, she wheezed and coughed because she couldn’t believe what he’d just said.

The man on the other end chuckled lightly, “Are you alright, Miss Kang?”

“Of course,” Seulgi said, catching her breath, “But is this offer real?”

“Of course, Miss Kang, and it starts as soon as the summer ends. You’ll need to meet me sometime next week to iron out the full plan and sign the contract, but other than that, we’re giving you free reign once the project begins.”

Seulgi felt excitement and something akin to magic swirled within her, this really was an amazing offer, “And the money, Sir? That was real as well?”

“Yes,” the man said simply, “That’s all real, as well as the promotion for your business.”

“And the time frame?” Seulgi asked.

“Quite a long time, but I think worth it, don’t you?”

“This is…once in a lifetime,” Seulgi exclaimed.

“It definitely is, Miss Kang, and we’re hoping you say yes.”

“Well then, yes, I say yes. I’m in,” Seulgi answered, she felt she couldn’t hesitate to agree to this, even though she hadn’t spoken with Wendy yet.

“Good, we’ll set up a time to meet next week to get every settled  and the tickets and locations cleared for you. Thank you for agreeing like this by the way, I would rather have met first, but we needed to get the ball rolling now so that everything will be prepared at summer’s end.”

“I understand, sir, and thank you for this amazing chance,” Seulgi said.

“You’re quite welcome, I’ll have the details of our meeting sent to you this afternoon, just meet me then and we’ll settle everything and get you prepared.”

“Yes, sir, thank you, and see you next week.”

“Until next week, Miss Kang,” and then he hung up and Seulgi was left speechless on the couch.

 

-----

                                                                                 

Seulgi awoke from her dream and shivered in anticipation. Had that just happened? “Yes,” she told herself, “That was real.” Her forehead was covered with sheen of slick sweat that must have appeared while she was on the phone. She used the back of her hand to dab away the evidence of her nervousness, and then realizing she needed someone else to be with her, she touched the intercom button that would send a message throughout the studio.

“Wendy, please, I need you,” and then she fell back further into her seat and stared at the door.

 

-----

 

"What is it?” Wendy said as she clambered into the lounge and shut the door, “Are you alright?” She rushed to Seulgi’s side and noticed the hint of sweat still on her brow. This time it looked like something really was wrong.

“It’s…major,” Seulgi whispered simply, “Definitely major.”

 

-----

 

“The person who called is the president of a major travel, nature, and wildlife magazine in the States, I’ll let you guess which one.”

Wendy realized which magazine Seulgi was talking about instantly, “And what did he say he wanted?”

“He said he’s been watching my work for a while now, and now the magazine wants to utilize my talents. They want to employ me for a set period of time and work for the travel portion of the magazine. They want me to do several photography issues for them in different countries, kind of like a travelogue. My work here would be compensated for the time that I would miss, but I don’t really have anything detailed for that frame of time anyway, and the pay is…a lot of money.”

“Awesome,” Wendy said, “That’s great news, and exposure for you and your business.”

“Yes….but the time, the time’s the problem,” Seulgi said, “It’s a lot of time away.”

Wendy’s eyebrows furrowed and she nodded.

“Baby…I….” Seulgi was afraid to say the time she would be gone.

“Just tell me,” Wendy said stoically.

“Months, I would be gone for months.”

Wendy held back a gasp that was forming in and smiled instead, she grabbed Seulgi’s hand and entwined their fingers, “What do you think? What do you want to do?”

“I want to do it, and I’ve told him I would,” Seulgi said.

Wendy looked at Seulgi carefully and saw fear in her eyes as she said this, “You already told him you would do it?”

“It’s…this may be once in a lifetime for me, I can’t pass this chance up. He wanted an unofficial answer on the phone, and I couldn’t say no. He’s in Seoul next week and wants to meet, will you come with me?”

“Of course,” Wendy said airily.

Seulgi sighed, and grabbed Wendy’s hand, “I’m not going to make a final decision without you, you’re a part of me now. I would still have to sign the contract for it to be official.”

“I know,” Wendy said, “I know.”

“Please forgive me,” Seulgi whispered.

“For what?” Wendy asked.

The fear was still in Seulgi’s eyes as she looked into Wendy’s. Wendy saw it and pulled Seulgi in, “I have nothing to forgive you for, this is an amazing chance for you, and I would never let you give it up.”

“I know, it’s just…the time.” Seulgi said.

“It’s a lot of time, I know,” Wendy said, “But we’ve done this before, haven’t we?”

Seulgi nodded in agreement.

Wendy spoke up again, “Let’s talk about the details later, just you and me, okay? Let’s enjoy what’s just happened right now, we need to  go tell the other three what they already know.”

Seulgi chuckled and her fear was gone, she kissed Wendy’s cheek, “Let’s go.”

 

-----

 

Later, Wendy laid on their couch and waited for Seulgi to come home. She’d left only minutes before Seulgi, but now she couldn’t hold her emotions in and felt a tear wind down her cheek. Seulgi would be gone for a long time, but this opportunity couldn’t be wasted and pushed to the side, and Wendy certainly realized that.

A few minutes later, Seulgi walked through the door and threw her keys onto the stand near the entrance, “Baby?”

“I’m here on the couch, Seul,” Wendy replied.

Seulgi walked into the living room and joined Wendy on the couch. She sat at her feet and and moved them so that they were placed neatly on her lap, “Want a massage?”

“Yes, please,” Wendy said, “The girls were happy, weren’t they?”

“Yeah,” Seulgi chuckled, “Especially Yeri.”

“I think she was just happy that she won’t have to keep a secret from you anymore.”

“Yeah, probably,” Seulgi said.

“I’m happy for you too, you know that, right?”

“I know, and I know that’s it’s difficult for you as well,” Seulgi said.

Wendy nodded and hummed in agreement, “I’ll miss you, that’s for sure.”

“We have the rest of the summer, and I promise to make it unforgettable.”

“It already is,” Wendy said, “I’m in love with you, completely in love, and that developed this summer, remember?”

“I remember, and I’m in love with you too,” Seulgi could feel the weight of the metal on her thumb. Someday soon, maybe after her travels, she would buy a ring for Wendy’s other hand, “And I plan to be yours for a very long time.”

“Me too,” Wendy said, “Let’s think about the unfortunate details of this offer when we meet next week. Right now I’m hungry, and I want to take a shower.”

“Mind if I join you?” Seulgi said as she rubbed Wendy’s heel.

“In the kitchen?” Wendy asked, sarcastically,“You’re going to cook for me?”

“Very funny,” Seulgi said, then she lowered her voice and bit her lower lip, “In the shower…will you let me take a shower with you?”

The foot massage continued and Wendy moaned as Seulgi reached the middle of her arch, “Yes, the shower is the perfect place to resolve this wave of emotions I’ve been going through.”

“Mmm,” Seulgi agreed, “I think so too.”

“What about food?” Wendy asked.

“You’re not an option, right?” Seulgi asked slyly.

Wendy glared but laughed, “Takeout?”

“Sounds good, I’ll call,” Seulgi let go of Wendy’s foot and hopped up from the couch.

“When you’re not busy with the phone, come join me,” Wendy said, as she slipped her shirt off, “I’ll be in the shower.

Seulgi’s eyes were wild and the phone slipped from her grasp and landed with a thud. She picked it up and dialed the takeout place with Olympic-style speed, “Be there in a minute.”

“Okay,” Wendy yelled as she the shower.

The person on the other end of the phone picked up and Seulgi spoke quickly, “Yes, I’d like to place an order.”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

The next week, Seulgi and Wendy met with the man from the magazine company and discussed everything that would take place in the next few weeks.  He took out the contract and they both looked over it and read it thoroughly before Seulgi signed on the dotted line.

With the contract signed, and a farewell for now to the Magazine president, Seulgi happily walked out of the meeting with her hand in Wendy’s. She could finally breathe and relax, and with Wendy by her side, she planned to have a night out with her and their friends.

“I’m proud of you,” Wendy said.

“Thank you, and I’m grateful that you’re helping me through this.”

“I want you to be happy, baby,” Wendy said.

“You make me very happy,” Seulgi said, she leaned over and kissed Wendy’s cheek, “Want to go meet Irene and Joy now?”

“Yeah,” Wendy said, “But I feel a little bad that Yeri can’t come with us.”

“Oh yeah,” Seulgi said, “I should have thought of that, she’ll be disappointed. Should I cancel the bar plans, and invite her out to somewhere else?”

“I think Irene and Joy are probably at the bar already, so that’s probably not the best plan,” Wendy replied.

“I should have taken her into account as well, I wasn’t thinking. Should we have another get together tomorrow night? Maybe a game night?”

“That would be fun, and I’m sure she’d love to come over,” Wendy said.

“Let me call her and tell her sorry and invite her over tomorrow,” Seulgi said.

They got to the bar and Seulgi stopped before they went in. She took out her cell phone and dialed Yeri’s number. It wasn’t long before Yeri answered.

“Yeri-ah?” Seulgi said, “I’m sorry about coming to a bar, I wasn’t even thinking.”

Yeri murmured on the other end of the line, “Good, thank you. We’re going to have a game night tomorrow, will you come over after work?”

Wendy could hear Yeri agree excitedly on the other end of the phone, and Seulgi nodded to Wendy, “Good, I’ll see you at the studio tomorrow, come in late, alright? We’ll have lunch and hang out since there’s not much to do. Goodnight, see you then.”

“She’s okay?” Wendy asked, already knowing the answer.

“You heard her didn’t you?” Seulgi put her phone back in her pocket.

“Yeah, that was sweet of you to fix it with Yeri like that,” Wendy said.

“I don’t want to hurt her, or any of you, and I’m afraid I’m already hurting you as it is by signing the contract,” Seulgi whispered as they walked to the front door of the bar, “Not intentionally, I would never do that, but I know your heart is gentle and I don’t want to cause you pain when I leave.”

“I’m not hurting, I’m proud. I can’t say I’m not sad, it’s a little overwhelming to know you’ll be gone for so long,” Wendy said honestly.

“I can’t make up the time we’re going to lose, so I can’t say that to you, that would be a statement that I have no business making. it would be ridiculous to think that I could make up three months of being away from you, but will you let me at least try? Not to make it up, just make all our moments exciting, and worthwhile?” Seulgi asked quietly, “I don’t want you hanging onto straws while I’m gone for so long.”

Wendy nodded, “Show me a good time tonight, baby. The rest, the time away will be difficult I know, but I won’t be alone, and It’s not like we won’t be able to talk while you’re away.”

“I know,” Seulgi said, “I don’t want to disappoint you, baby, maybe I already have, but thank you for supporting me anyway.”

Wendy nodded and could feel a twinge in her heart, was she disappointed? If she was she didn’t say it outright and instead encouraged her bear, “Tonight, that’s what I’m worried about, let’s have fun.”

“Okay,” Seulgi agreed.

And they walked into the bar to join Irene and Joy.

 

-----

 

The night blazed on, and diaphanous swirls of color and light guided the four of them from the bar and into a club where they danced and Wendy drank a little too much. Irene didn’t drink anything and took care of them at their seats. Joy and Wendy were up and dancing, and Seulgi remained at the table with Irene and sipped on a cocktail, just one. She wasn’t close to drunk either. She wanted to stay vigilant and keep an eye on Joy and Wendy as Irene was doing.

“So, I guess Wendy is taking the news well?” Irene asked as she looked at Joy and Wendy laughing on the dance floor.

“I’m not sure,” Seulgi said, “I think she’s alright, but she likes to hide her emotions, even from me.”

“You can understand that though, right?” Irene asked, “She wants you to succeed. She saw so much hurt and pain from having resigned from her job, that she wants something good for you, even if it hurts her in the process.”

Seulgi thought about that for a moment and took a small sip, “I told her that it’s not my intention to hurt her by traveling, it’s…”

“Once in a lifetime, I know. I’m glad you’re going, honestly, but Wendy needs something other than the studio to work on while you’re gone.”

“I know,” Seulgi said, “The man from the karaoke bar wants her to do performance nights there, and I think that would be good for her, but she needs something steadier.”

“She’d say you’re what’s steady in her life right now, and I think so too,” Irene said.

Seulgi looked at Irene carefully, “Am I ruining everything by doing this? By going away for so long?”

“No, Wendy understands,” Irene said loudly over the thump of the music, “She’s had to be away from you for three years. This is three months. That’s a tough time frame, but she’ll handle it, I’m sure of it. We’ll be here, Joy and I, and Yeri when she’s not in school, and you’ll get to talk to her every day if you want, and skype and facetime are options too.”

“That’ll be like the old days, won’t it?”

“Yeah,” Irene laughed, “The old days of last year.”

Seulgi chuckled but then got serious, “I’m not just doing this for me. Sure it will help my business, but I’m doing this for our future. After this job we’ll be set….for life, I think, at least financially.”

Irene spoke up“You’re already set financially though…”

“That’s true,” Seulgi said, “But with this money, I’ll be able to take more time off and spend it with Wendy.”

“What about the company?” Irene asked.

“I’ve got plans for that, for everyone, even for you unnie, don’t worry.”

“I won’t, I’ve never doubted you,” Irene said as she took a sip of water.

“Thanks for that,” Seulgi replied.

Irene nodded, “What will you do when you come back from traveling? Besides these company strategies?”

 “Hopefully get readjusted and then spend the rest of my life with Wendy,” Seulgi said.

“You have plans for that too?” Irene asked.

“Plans upon plans are circling in my head, and hopefully those include a band of jewels around Wendy’s finger.”

Irene smiled, “I think she would be deliriously happy with that plan.”

“I hope so,” Seulgi said, “Because I want to make that plan a reality.” She glanced at Wendy on the dance floor and saw a beautiful smile looking back at her, Seulgi pointed into the crowd at Wendy and Irene glanced at her too, “That smile is worth the world, and it’s all I ever want to see on her face.”

 

-----

 

Seulgi awoke to the sounds of Wendy fumbling around in the bathroom, the door was shut, but Seulgi could tell that Wendy was sick. She knew they’d had a few drinks, but Wendy had had more, and now she must have been feeling their effects. Their night of partying hadn’t gone well, and this was the proof. She was glad Irene had been there, and she’d  personally only had one drink. Being responsible was important to her especially with Wendy there, but maybe a quiet night would have been a better option, though it was too late for that now. Seulgi got up, threw on a pair of basketball shorts on, and ran to the bathroom door. She knocked and waited for Wendy to say something.

With no reply she knocked again, “Baby? Are you alright?”

She heard Wendy getting sick again and opened the door so that she could help. Wendy was leaned over the toilet, her hair falling into her eyes, her face pale. Seulgi went straight to her side, held onto her, lifted her hair, and rubbed her back to soothe her.

“You’re alright, do what you need to do, I’ll be right beside you,” Seulgi said softly.

“Don’t, I don’t want you to see me throwing up, it’s disgusting,” Wendy whimpered, “I drank too much, I think.”

“I am staying in here, and I’m going to take care of you,” Seulgi replied.

Wendy was hot and sweaty and and lips were parched, “But you’re not staying, are you?”

“What?” Seulgi asked.

“You’re leaving, the contract has been signed, and now you’re leaving me.” Wendy mind was racing at the thought of Seulgi being gone, and being sick wasn’t helping.

Seulgi’s heart dropped at Wendy’s words, but she could think of no reply, what Wendy said was the truth even if they had decided it together. Three months wasn’t three years, but it was still a long time to be away.

“I’m sorry,” Wendy said, suddenly realizing what she’d said, “I want you to go…I’m just sad, and feel  terrible and sick and drunk, forgive me?”

Seulgi lifted Wendy’s head and wiped the matted hair away for her eyes, “I love you, and there’s nothing to forgive, today I’m taking care of you.”

“Thank you,” Wendy said, “I love you and I’m sorry.” Wendy turned again, about to be sick, and Seulgi held her hair back again.

Wendy felt Seulgi’s hand as it rubbed circles into her back and a soft whisper in her ear, “I’m yours, and I love you. I know it seems like a long time, and it is, longer than you’ve been back with me, but I…”

“You need to go, I know,” Wendy whispered. She moved away from the bowl and buckled to the ground.

Seulgi nodded and slipped down to the bathroom floor with Wendy and pulled her close, the smell of Wendy’s sickness was strong, but Seulgi didn’t care, “We have the next few weeks before I need to go, and I’m not leaving you, you know that right?”

Wendy hummed in agreement, “I’ll…just miss you.”

“I know, baby,” Seulgi said, “But I’ll be back when the traveling’s done, I promise you, and I would never go back on that promise.”

Wendy slid closer to Seulgi beside her on the floor and hugged her tightly. Seulgi moved to kiss Wendy but was stopped, “Not now, let me brush my teeth, then will you take me back to bed?”

“Of course,” Seulgi said. She stood up and moved to help Wendy up from the bathroom tile.

“I don’t think I’ll be of any help in the studio today,” Wendy mumbled, “Can I take the day off?”

“Yes, and I’ll call in as well, I’m staying here with you,” Seulgi replied.

“Don’t you need to have lunch with Yeri?” Wendy asked, her mind drifted to the call Seulgi had made before they went into the bar.

“Yes,” Seulgi said, “I did promise her that, and I promised tomorrow night as well.”

“I’ll stay here for the whole day and get some sleep,”  Wendy said, she let out a small chuckle, “I think I may be a little too dizzy for strenuous activities until tomorrow night, but we did promise Yeri a game night.”

“You’re even too tired to kiss me?” Seulgi said, holding onto Wendy’s waist so she wouldn’t fall.

“Let me get a couple more hours of sleep, then we’ll see,” Wendy said, “Kissing me right now may be toxic anyway. I’ll need to brush around five to ten times.”

“Alright,” Seulgi said, “I’ll fix your toothbrush.”

“And hold my hand?”

“Mmhmm,” Seulgi hummed, as she reached for the toothbrush, “And I’ll hold your hand.”

When the brush was ready she handed it over to Wendy, then took her right and entwined it with Wendy’s left.

“I’m right here, I’m right here,” Seulgi whispered as she kissed Wendy’s temple gently.

 

 

===

 

 

 

This chapter was a roller coaster to write, but I think it's one of my favorites. I say that because the characters are capable of feeling more than one emotion at once (ex. Wendy who is happy that Seulgi is getting a great opportunity, but apprehensive at the amount of time she will be gone). Anyway, this chapter reveals a lot of information that will be useful in the rest of the story and sets up a lot of points that I will attempt to tie up by the end of however many chapters are left. Thank you, as always for reading and commenting. I love the feedback I'm getting on here and on twitter.

If you want to follow me on Twitter, I'm @SnapshotsandInk 

I'm in the process of planning the rest of the chapters, so look forward to the next chapter sometime next week. I'll keep everyone updated on twitter. Thanks again!

*Also, the magazine I'm thinking of is a real magazine, but I'm not going to use its name.