Dry Land

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

 

 

Cuddled up to Wendy, Seulgi opened her eyes and saw the sun shoot daggers through the window and onto their bed. Outside the waves were crashing and Seulgi could have been lulled back to sleep if Wendy hadn’t spoken up.

As per Seulgi’s request before they left Seoul, Wendy was only covered in a sheet and nothing else “Are you awake?” She whispered.

“Yes,” Seulgi whispered back.

“This is really nice,” Wendy said.

“What?”

“Not feeling rushed to get up for work, it feels good just to lay here with you,” Wendy said.

“I know,” Seulgi said, “It feels amazing.” She hugged tighter to Wendy.

 

-----

 

“So,” Seulgi said, as she munched on the toast that Wendy had made them, “What do you want to do first today?”

“Since we’ve stayed around here for a couple days, let’s go into town first, then maybe hike one of the trails around here?”

“Yeah, that sounds good,” Seulgi said, “That will be nice, we can visit the shops and things and find out what all we can do here activity wise. I’ll take my camera and get some shots while we’re out.”

“Alright,” Wendy said, “So, town, hike, lunch, beach, does that sound okay?”

“Honestly, it sounds perfect,” Seulgi smiled.

 “Okay, good,” Wendy said, “You know I like a plan.”

“I know,” Seulgi said. She popped the last bit of toast in , stood up and kissed Wendy’s neck, “Beautiful.”

“What?” Wendy asked.

“You, you’re beautiful.”

Wendy blushed, “You are too.”

“Let’s go get ready,” Seulgi said.

The pair headed upstairs to get ready for their day.

 

-----

 

Seulgi clicked away on her camera as they walked through the inner most part of the town where there were shops and places to eat. Wendy smiled at Seulgi’s look of concentration, her eyes honed in on her target, she her lips, aimed, and then captured the moment on her SD card.

“I love when you look like that,” Wendy said.

“Like what?” Seulgi asked.

“Like you’re in your own world, it’s somehow cute and y at the same time. I don’t know how you manage to do that, it’s a mystery, but you’re the perfect combination of those two things.”

“Thanks,” Seulgi said, her eyes smiled as she let her camera fall from her hand back to her shoulder. She grabbed Wendy’s hand and they continued onward, “I like this little town.”

“Yeah, me too,” Wendy said.

“It’s good to get away from all the hustle and bustle of Seoul, and just be still for a little while,” Seulgi replied.

“I know, sometimes city life is challenging, I mean, I love Seoul, that’s not it. It’s good to take a break with you.”

“I know what you mean,” Seulgi said, and they continued on their way.

 

-----

 

“Let’s go in here,” Seulgi said, suddenly as she pulled a shocked Wendy into one of the shops. They had been walking around town for a while, and Seulgi had eyed the shop from across the way, so when they came back up this side of the sidewalk, she made sure they passed right by it.

“Woah, slow down, Seul,” Wendy said as they ducked into the air-conditioned building. Wendy looked up from her feet and saw where they were, “Jewelry?”

“I wasn’t kidding, we need to pick out a ring so that you’ll match me,” Seulgi said, and she flashed the ring on her thumb.

“No…but the ring I got you…I bought it at the neighborhood carnival, remember?”

“I know,” Seulgi said.

“This is a real jewelry store, not a carnival,” Wendy said.

“That doesn’t matter to me,” Seulgi said, “Let’s just look around and see what they have, I’m not planning on splurging or anything.”

Wendy was reluctant to move forward, but Seulgi locked their fingers together and did the walking for her. Wendy nodded, “Okay, let’s look.”

 

-----

 

Seulgi walked out of the store empty-handed, but that was only because what they’d picked out was on Wendy’s thumb, and she was holding the bag that it had come in. They’d stopped at the door and Seulgi had slipped in on Wendy’s hand.

“I told you we’d find something,” Seulgi said.

“I-I’m sorry I doubted you,” Wendy said, “I was worried about the cost.”

“I know you were, but I’m glad we found something for you, and it was only $25.00,” Seulgi said, “Plus it’s really nice.”

“I love it, thank you,” Wendy said.

“You’re welcome.”

“It was only five dollars more than what I paid,” Wendy said.

“Oh  really?” Seulgi chuckled.

“Yeah, so that means after our hike, I’m buying lunch,” Wendy replied.

Seulgi smiled her classic smile, nodded, and spoke, “I’m not going to argue with you on that.”

                    

-----

                                         

Soon they found the hiking trails that were near the town center. The path they were on took them through a small forested area, and right next to the beach that overlooked a different part than they were used to at the villa.

 “It’s really nice on this side,” Seulgi said, “Instead of the sunset, we’d be seeing the sunrise.”

“That’s true,” Wendy said, “Getting any good photos?”

Seulgi let go of Wendy’s hand and stepped away, “Just act natural.”

“What? You want a photo of me?”

“Yes,” Seulgi said shyly, “Unless you don’t want me to take it.”

Seulgi fake-pouted until she heard Wendy laughing.

“You’ve been sneaky before,” Wendy laughed, “But I don’t mind.”

“Good,” Seulgi said, and she snapped photos of Wendy, most in view of the beach, and even one with herself. She set her camera to take a self-timed photo and then hurried to get in the frame with Wendy.

Once the photo was taken, Wendy asked to see it, but Seulgi was wary.

“Just the self-timed one,” Wendy said, “I know your camera is personal to you.”

“That’s not it, I…”

Wendy smiled, “You don’t have to explain, but can I see the one we just took of us?”

Seulgi nodded and showed her the photo.

“I love your smile,” Wendy said, “It’s gorgeous.”

Seulgi looked down bashfully, but Wendy urged her to look up again.

“I mean it, Seulgi-ah, you’re stunning.”

“Thank you,” Seulgi whispered.

“Now, want to walk back and get lunch?”

“Yeah, let’s go.”

 

-----

 

At lunch they got a fresh shrimp cocktail and lobster trolls. Wendy expertly ordered and the food came quickly.

After they finished eating, and Wendy had paid, they began their walk back to the villa, but Wendy began to feel tired. Seulgi noticed and asked if she was okay.

“I’m fine,” Wendy said, “Just full from lunch, and tired from all the walking we’ve done since this morning. I’ve got a headache, but I think I’ll be okay.”

“You’re right, we’ve been gone for a while, and it’s a little past 2:30,” Seulgi said, looking down at her watch, “Want to take a quick nap, then relax on the beach?”

“Sure,” Wendy said.

“Do you want me to carry you? I definitely can, on my back?”

“No,” Wendy said, “I’m good.”

“Are you sure, it won’t bother me, we’re almost there.”

“It’s fine,” Wendy said, “Just take my hand.”

Seulgi held onto Wendy’s hand tighter as they walked. “She could feel the cool metal of Wendy’s thumb ring brush against her skin, “I’ve got you. I’ve always got you.”

 

-----

 

After they arrived back at the villa and a long nap was had by both of them, Wendy felt much better, and Seulgi—who slept as well but had gotten up before Wendy—already had suits laid out for them to wear to the beach.

“Want to go out in a bit? It’s a lot nicer out right now, not as hot, and we can lay out for a bit,” Seulgi said.

“Sure, I see you picked out a bikini for me to wear,” Wendy replied.

“Yeah, is that okay?”

“As long as you wear one too,” Wendy joked.

 

-----

 

On the beach, they put on sunscreen to be safe—even though it was late in the afternoon—and relaxed in lounge chairs.

“Feeling better?” Seulgi asked.

“Yeah,” Wendy said, “I think I got a little too hot earlier, It’s not hot like this back in Seoul so I’m still getting acclimated to the weather. I’ll need to drink more water to account for the heat.”

“Good idea,” Seulgi said, “I’ll go back in and get some waters for us.”

When Seulgi returned, a smiling Wendy thanked her.

“You’re welcome,” Seulgi said, “So tomorrow, let’s do something adventurous like we planned. Let’s go paddle-boarding.”

“You’ll need to help me,” Wendy said, as she took a sip of water.

“No problem,” Seulgi said, “I’ve done it before.” Seulgi cracked open her own water and took a giant gulp.

“Really?” Wendy asked.

“Yeah,” Seulgi said, swallowing the water down, “At Jeju.”

“Not the last time you went, right?” Wendy asked.

“No, not then, a couple years ago,” Seulgi replied.

“Oh,” Wendy said, “Tell me about it.”

“You really want to hear about my exploits from around the globe?” Seulgi asked.

“Yeah, I do,” Wendy said, eagerly.

“Okay,” Seulgi said.

And the afternoon faded away and Seulgi told Wendy of her travels, and her dreams to travel more.

 

-----

 

The next day, the pair were on a lonely stretch of beach in wet suits, and ready for the adventure that Seulgi had planned for them.

Seulgi moved the boards and the paddles she’d rented to the so they could practice before moving to the water.

“Are you still afraid?” Seulgi asked.

“Only slightly,” Wendy said, “But I know I’m safe here with you.”

“We won’t go far, and the surf is really light today, so it won’t be a bumpy ride.”

“Sometimes I like a bumpy ride,” Wendy joked.

“When?” Seulgi asked, puzzled.

Wendy smiled brightly, “When we’re in bed.”

And Seulgi blushed.

 

-----

 

“I don’t think my balance is very good,” Wendy said, as she practice getting up on the long board.

“That’s okay,” Seulgi said, “We’ll stay in the shallows.”

“I haven’t told you, but I’m a little afraid of the ocean,” Wendy confessed.

“You are?” Seul said, looking up after she’d zipped her wet suit to get in the water, “I thought you said you were alright.”

“Now that we’re actually near the water…I…we went in the water earlier this week, but I’m…I don’t know,” Wendy said, flustered.

“Do you want to stop? We don’t have to do this. You know I’m not going to pressure you, right?” Seulgi asked.

“I know that,” Wendy answered, “You’re so sweet. I…I’m going to do it thought, just let me work up my courage.”

Seulgi smiled at Wendy’s resolve, “I’m not going to let you get hurt. I’ll be right beside you when we get on the boards and start paddling.

Wendy nodded, “Help me with my wet suit?”

Seulgi walked over and guided Wendy to turn around. She saw the expanse of Wendy’s back, felt the warm skin with her fingertips, and zipped the suit slowly, “I promised to take care of you and that’s what I’m going to do.”

 

-----

 

Finally in the water, it was clear to Seulgi that Wendy wasn’t a natural, but that didn’t stop her from admiring Wendy’s ability to shake off the falls she’d made into the water and try again.

“You’re doing well,” Seulgi said as she watched Wendy balance on the board.

“Because of you,” Wendy smiled.

“Think it’s okay for me to join you now?” Seulgi asked, itching to get on her board.

“Yeah,” Wendy said, “I think I’ve got the balancing down now.”

Seulgi nodded and hopped on her board gracefully.

“Well,” Wendy said, as she watched Seulgi, “Clearly I’m holding you back with this activity.”

“No you’re not,” Seulgi frowned. She paddled quickly over to Wendy who was standing still.

“Okay,” Wendy laughed as Athlete Seulgi glided over to her.

“You’re doing just fine, baby. Just move your paddle like we practiced.”

Wendy worked the paddle through the gentle surf and began to move.

“See?” Seulgi said, “Doing good.”

At these words, Wendy moved through the water but couldn’t keep her balance. The board teetered and she took a tumble through the calm, lapping sea.

Seulgi winced and immediately abandoned her board to help Wendy. She swam over and pulled Wendy to the surface, “Are you okay?”

Wendy looked up with a face full of wet, tangled hair, “I’m okay, nothing to see here.”

Seulgi bit her lip and tried not to laugh at the hair plastered on Wendy’s face. Wendy blew air and tried to get the hair to move but it stubbornly stayed in place.

“Let me help,” Seulgi said. She took her hand and brushed the hair away, “There’s that beautiful face.”

Wendy smiled back, “My first wipeout. Time to get back up.”

Seulgi chuckled, “That’s my Seungwan.”

 

-----

 

After another fall, Wendy got the hang of it, and they paddled a long way up the beach. When they returned, Wendy hopped off the board and dramatically ran to the sand, “Dry land,” she screamed. She fell to her knees and pretended to bow and kiss the ground.

Seulgi chuckled and brought the boards back in. Wendy plopped down in the sand and let the sun warm her up. Seulgi joined her soon after.

“Not bad for a first timer?” Wendy asked.

“Not bad at all,” Seulgi agreed.

Wendy grabbed Seulgi’s hand with closed eyes and spoke, “You bring out the adventurer in me.”

Seulgi squeezed the hand in return, “And you bring out the kindness and gentleness in me. I love you.”

“Ditto,” Wendy replied.

 

-----

 

Each day was filled with a new activity, and each night with love.

They fished, hiked again, searched for seashells, played in the pool and went to the spa where Wendy realized how ticklish Seulgi’s feet were.

“I didn’t realize you were that ticklish,” Wendy remarked when they finally walked out of the spa.

“Well, now you know,” Seulgi said.

Wendy twiddled her fingers maniacally, “Exactly, now I know, beware.”

Seulgi stared in faux-horror, and eventually they both laughed and continued back to the villa.

Back inside, Seulgi decided to take a quick nap before dinner, and Wendy stayed in the living room to watch a movie. The days were beginning to close in on them and the time to leave Florida was imminent. These thoughts ran through her mind over and over as she watched the film, but Wendy was just glad to be with Seulgi, and knew that though this part of the trip was coming to a close soon, they still had Hawaii, and they still had each other.

 

===

 

Expect an update at any time, I’ve separated one big chapter into four chapters, so everything is written and ready to be uploaded. Please look forward to 17, 18, and 19 which are coming very soon.

Follow me on twitter @SnapshotsandInk

Thanks for checking out my story!